Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 644 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 265Likes

post #19291 of 19317 Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I find Netflix, for the most part, has good PQ. Sometimes its a bit rough... Blu Rays are excellent as one would expect. Pandora is seamless 99% of the time. I run an Ethernet off the router to a switch then feed the Oppo, monitor, & AVR. I just wish my On Demand service had better PQ....(nothing to do with the Oppo)..I run out of the STB directly to the monitor.... reason being, I don't always want to turn on everything, AVR, Oppo, amp, etc.

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19292 of 19317 Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

Love the community here at AVS!

Right to the point. I just upgraded to a 65inch led Insignia calibrated by the geek squad, a Pioneer Elite SC-75 and a 9.1 home theater system. Pictures to follow soon!

My question is, I have a PS3, PS4 and now an OPPO. My wife and I tested this bad boy with the Amazing Spiderman 2 bluray and God we can't tell a difference! Maybe I'll have to read this whole thread starting at 2012 lol

Am I doing something wrong? Or should I send this back and replace to the Darbee edition?

I have it all plugged in correctly straight to the receiver from the HDMI 1 which is the Marvell processing video.

I will be putting tonight the new turtles movie and we will see how it flows.

Any help is appreciated!
post #19293 of 19317 Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbieedr View Post
My question is, I have a PS3, PS4 and now an OPPO. My wife and I tested this bad boy with the Amazing Spiderman 2 bluray and God we can't tell a difference!
Welcome to AVSForum.

You're playing a Blu-ray disc? We don't expect much difference between players in that case.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #19294 of 19317 Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SACD sometimes sends multi-channel, sometimes only stereo

When playing a SACD that has multi-channels on my 103, I noticed that the display said 'type 5.0'. When I looked at my preamp (Anthem AVM 50), it said the input was left and right channels only. I repeated the procedure with a PS3, and the Anthem reported multi-channel input. I went back to the Oppo with a different multi-channel SACD, and this time, the display said 'type 5.1'. This time, the Anthem reported multi-channel input, as well.

Does anyone have a clue as to why the first SACD was only sending left and right channels, even though it saw it as a multi-channel SACD? Is there such a thing as a 5.0 SACD?

Thanks in advance,
Ron
post #19295 of 19317 Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Well it's good Amazon are honoring the promo offer if you call to confirm, but it wouldn't surprise me if some folks don't find out until some point after the 35 day delay that the promo did not "take" for their order.

So did they give you an instant credit of 10%? Or did they just say the credit amount will post to your Amazon account 35 days from now? I.e., that it is only usable against some future purchase after that point? (Which is how the promo is actually written.)
--Bob
They gave me a credit on the card I used to pay for the 103. I probably sidestepped the 35 day wait because a) I didn't see that part, and b) I sent them an email directly. Anyway, a 10% credit for a player like the 103 is a beautiful thing.

Ron
post #19296 of 19317 Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post
When playing a SACD that has multi-channels on my 103, I noticed that the display said 'type 5.0'. When I looked at my preamp (Anthem AVM 50), it said the input was left and right channels only. I repeated the procedure with a PS3, and the Anthem reported multi-channel input. I went back to the Oppo with a different multi-channel SACD, and this time, the display said 'type 5.1'. This time, the Anthem reported multi-channel input, as well.

Does anyone have a clue as to why the first SACD was only sending left and right channels, even though it saw it as a multi-channel SACD? Is there such a thing as a 5.0 SACD?

Thanks in advance,
Ron
Ron, there are 5.1 SACDs, 5.0 SACDs, 3.0 SACDs, 2.0 (stereo) SACDs.

If you set your Oppo SACD audio out to read the multichannel layer as priority, the 103 will ouput it from its HDMI out, and also from the multichannel analog out. Your Anthem pre/pro should be playing that multichannel layer as recorded on the SACD's selected layer, with the corresponding number of channels.

I don't know if you are getting sound from only your two front speakers, or from what is in the SACD's layer.
And if it plays correctly, but doesn't display properly, I just don't know.

* Bob is thee man.

Last edited by NorthSky; Yesterday at 09:47 PM. Reason: *
post #19297 of 19317 Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post

Thanks in advance,
Ron
Ron, what's your SACD Priority set to on your Oppo player? The Priority will decide what layer the Oppo gives preference to when playing an SACD. Also, remember, some SACD's contain both 2-ch and multi-ch layers, in addition to a CD layer. However, other SACD's can just contain a multi-ch or a 2-ch layer. A "type 5.0" just means the LFE (Low Frequency Effect aka "deep bass" channel) is not present in the multi-ch layer.

Last edited by DanF8500; Yesterday at 09:57 PM.
post #19298 of 19317 Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Welcome to AVSForum.

You're playing a Blu-ray disc? We don't expect much difference between players in that case.

-Bill
Thank you Bill! Yup, just my collection of Blu-rays! I'v read plenty of great reviews, so decided to buy one. Very nice machine, but can't noticed much of a difference. I'll play with it for a couple days and will decide if I should keep it or send back. Maybe will spend $100 more and jump on the D edition and see if it's worth it.

I did see tonight the new turtle movie and image looked very nice!!! But I'm assuming it looks like that on my PS3 or PS4.

Thanks Bill!
post #19299 of 19317 Old Today, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ View Post
I find Netflix, for the most part, has good PQ. Sometimes its a bit rough... Blu Rays are excellent as one would expect.
At prime time and weekends I rarely get over 480p on netflix. But even 480p looks awesome on the Oppo thanks to the upscaling.
post #19300 of 19317 Old Today, 04:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 2241
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Right to the point. I just upgraded to a 65inch led Insignia calibrated by the geek squad, a Pioneer Elite SC-75 and a 9.1 home theater system. Pictures to follow soon!

My question is, I have a PS3, PS4 and now an OPPO. My wife and I tested this bad boy with the Amazing Spiderman 2 bluray and God we can't tell a difference! Maybe I'll have to read this whole thread starting at 2012 lol

Am I doing something wrong? Or should I send this back and replace to the Darbee edition?

I have it all plugged in correctly straight to the receiver from the HDMI 1 which is the Marvell processing video.

Any help is appreciated!
You won't see any difference at all on a 1080p Bluray disc. The difference will come if you play a DVD and see if the Oppo upscales it better. Same with all your SD sources like TV etc too if you feed them through the Oppo inputs. People buy Oppo players for their build quality, support, upscaling, reliability, universal disc play ability and so on - not to see a difference on BD performance. If all you want is great BD performance, a $90 player will give you the same PQ and SQ. It'll likely take longer to load the disc, not be as well made, maybe less reliable, probably not have the FW updates as regularly and not be able to play SACD or DVD-A - but for Bluray you won't see any difference in the image quality, or the sound quality when connected via HDMI.
post #19301 of 19317 Old Today, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thank you Bill! Yup, just my collection of Blu-rays! I'v read plenty of great reviews, so decided to buy one. Very nice machine, but can't noticed much of a difference. I'll play with it for a couple days and will decide if I should keep it or send back. Maybe will spend $100 more and jump on the D edition and see if it's worth it.

I did see tonight the new turtle movie and image looked very nice!!! But I'm assuming it looks like that on my PS3 or PS4.

Thanks Bill!
Why not buy the standalone Darbee Darblet - that will give you the great Darbee effect on ALL your sources. It just sits between the monitor out on your AVR and the monitor/PJ. If all you are playing is Bluray discs, you don't really need an Oppo unless you want the features I mentioned in the post above.
post #19302 of 19317 Old Today, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Will I be able to play DVDs' from the UK as the specs are a bit grey on this?
post #19303 of 19317 Old Today, 06:10 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie54 View Post
Will I be able to play DVDs' from the UK as the specs are a bit grey on this?
DVDs, not Blu-ray?

Two issues: (1) PAL format, (2) region coding.

PAL is no problem; all OPPO players have supported the format.

Region coding: the player is not region free out of the box, but there is a free software mod for DVD playback. See the FAQ: Region Free Modifications

I've used the Superdisc patch on every OPPO Blu-ray player and it has been trouble free.

As shown in the FAQ, region free for Blu-ray requires additional hardware.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #19304 of 19317 Old Today, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
DVDs, not Blu-ray?

Two issues: (1) PAL format, (2) region coding.

PAL is no problem; all OPPO players have supported the format.

Region coding: the player is not region free out of the box, but there is a free software mod for DVD playback. See the FAQ: Region Free Modifications

I've used the Superdisc patch on every OPPO Blu-ray player and it has been trouble free.

As shown in the FAQ, region free for Blu-ray requires additional hardware.

-Bill
Thanks for your reply Bill, I mostly will want to use DVDs' from the UK, I remember that you could turn earlier Oppos' region free by entering a 4 digit number on the remote, is this no longer the case?
post #19305 of 19317 Old Today, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 97
None of the Oppo Blu-Ray players have had region-free enabled by a remote number code. To get a Blu-Ray license, Oppo had to remove this. As wmcclain said, there are ways to make any Oppo BD player region-free for either DVD and/or Blu-Ray.

post #19306 of 19317 Old Today, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Any help is appreciated!
If you are using a single HDMI cable through HDMI 1 on the Oppo, I suggest you try the trick found a few weeks ago of cranking the sharpness on HDMI 2. I know it sounds weird, but it affects the output of HDMI 1 also but in a much more non-obtrusive way than the setting for HDMI 1. Give it a try tonight on a movie, max out sharpness on HDMI 2 while watching through HDMI 1 and see how you like it. I and others here like it very much. Kind of a poor man's Darbee I guess. Although owning an Oppo does not go well with the poor man analogy! :-)
post #19307 of 19317 Old Today, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just read that the HDMI 1 introduces DNR into the image by way of the Qdeo processing. First off, is it actually noticeable? Secondly, is there a difference in DVD viewing using HDMI 2 since it doesn't have the Qdeo processing applied to it? Thanks.
post #19308 of 19317 Old Today, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Just read that the HDMI 1 introduces DNR into the image by way of the Qdeo processing. First off, is it actually noticeable? Secondly, is there a difference in DVD viewing using HDMI 2 since it doesn't have the Qdeo processing applied to it? Thanks.
Qdeo DNR is adaptive, meaning its most noticeable on lower quality content. So the effect can range from noticeable to not noticeable. In general it is more noticeable on DVD than on BD. Its best to try it for yourself and decide, but yes HDMI-2 doesn't have it.
post #19309 of 19317 Old Today, 09:10 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Just read that the HDMI 1 introduces DNR into the image by way of the Qdeo processing. First off, is it actually noticeable?
Opinions vary. It has not bothered me, but you should test it for yourself and trust your eyes.

Quote:
Secondly, is there a difference in DVD viewing using HDMI 2 since it doesn't have the Qdeo processing applied to it?
Well, yes. One has QDEO and the other doesn't. That's a difference.

However, Mediatek alone has really improved in recent years and HDMI2 produces fine, unaltered DVD images to my eye. You don't have the same sharpening and noise reduction controls that QDEO offers, but I don't use those anyway.

-Bill

post #19310 of 19317 Old Today, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

My 103 just showed up at the door. First impressions - holy crap, this thing is heavy! It really feels like a well engineered piece of equipment. "Built like a tank." Yeah, I agree. Secondly, is there a reason this top of the line player needs a wireless adapter when cheap players for $50 have it built into the player? I'm sure there's some reason, but it feels odd for such a pricey item. I mostly use the PS3 for streaming anyway, but was curious. Can't wait to hook it up and play around with it.
post #19311 of 19317 Old Today, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I was very concerned about this when getting my Oppo 103 recently. I have tried with Bluray on HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 and I can't honestly see any great difference. If you are primarily concerned with Bluray I wouldn't worry about it, but if you bypass all the picture settings anyway, as I do, you may as well connect to HDMI 2 anyway. If you play much SD content you might actually prefer the DNL applied, where it will be more noticeable what effect it is having, so that would guide you to HDMI 1. If you have a Harmony, you could hook HDMI 1 and HDM1 2 up to feed two inputs on your AVR and use one for BD and one for DVD, with the remote selecting the correct HDMI output on the Oppo for each when you select Play Bluray or Play DVD.
post #19312 of 19317 Old Today, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

I was going to hook one HDMI to the receiver and one directly to the TV for when I watch documentaries or commentaries and don't need the stereo on. I will put in a BD and compare between the two.
post #19313 of 19317 Old Today, 09:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Secondly, is there a reason this top of the line player needs a wireless adapter when cheap players for $50 have it built into the player?
It's a metal box. I'm guessing cheaper ones are plastic. Propagating RF through an enclosed metal box is difficult. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

-Bill
QuiGonJosh likes this.

post #19314 of 19317 Old Today, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I figured it was something like that.
post #19315 of 19317 Old Today, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It's a metal box. I'm guessing cheaper ones are plastic. Propagating RF through an enclosed metal box is difficult. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

-Bill
The could get around that with external antennae like the latest Denon AVRs do, but personally I am happy with the dongle and/or the Ethernet connection. I use a wireless bridge anyway in the gear closet, which connects wirelessly to the router but then connects to all the gear with cables.
post #19316 of 19317 Old Today, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello to everyone,

Excuse me if this is the wrong thread to ask...

Ok, I'm looking for a custom firmware for my Oppo 103EU. The goal is to have BD ISO and BDMV support. I would be grateful for directions, where to download from, etc.

thanks!
post #19317 of 19317 Old Today, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello to everyone,

Excuse me if this is the wrong thread to ask...

Ok, I'm looking for a custom firmware for my Oppo 103EU. The goal is to have BD ISO and BDMV support. I would be grateful for directions, where to download from, etc.

thanks!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page