Forum Jump: 
 283Likes

post #19351 of 19375 Old Today, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 163
You were given sound advice. You may either take it or move on. I personally use the extension because of where everything is located.
gsr, markrubin, wmcclain and 1 others like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19352 of 19375 Old Today, 09:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Calm down.

Wifi throughput is affected by lots of things including interference, such as from other Wifi transmitters near by (perhaps even your other players). It is not unusual that moving the Wifi a few inches can make a difference which is why OPPO includes the extender -- so you don't have to reposition the whole player.

The fact that it worked yesterday, but not today until you shifted the antenna, suggests either interference or a configuration problem, such as two devices on your home network being assigned the same IP address.

Now that it is working, I suggest you leave it this way. If the problem returns we can try to figure out what's interfering.
--Bob
post #19353 of 19375 Old Today, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 763
I actually have the 105, which is more than twice the price of the 103. I use the done extension and am very happy with the wireless connection. I think everyone who reads this thread wishes you a Merry Christmas. Just return it and quit whining. There are thousands of extremely satisfied OPPO customers who enjoy their products. Go to Walmart and get a $39.95 Blu-ray player that you will be happy with. Have a nice day.
post #19354 of 19375 Old Today, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The answer to why 50$ players don't have a WiFi dongle and the Oppo does is rather simple. The Oppo being a well made player is full metal outfitted which makes internal antennas impossible. This all metal case keeps all undesired waves out of the player, it shields it from external contamination. 50$ players don't care about shielding much and thus include the antena inside the thing since its all plastic anyway. It's just physics: shielding the Oppo to keep unwanted interference from the outside also keeps WiFi waves impossible to penetrate. I prefer my player to be well shielded and well built even if it means having to have the dongle outside. If you care more for shielding and quality and don't mind a dongle you buy an Oppo. If built quality and shielding is lower in priority than having an internal antenna you buy something else. No player is perfect. We choose according to our priorities.

Also, the reason the dongle sometimes works better using the extension is that the extension puts the doogle vertical instead of horizontal. Positioning is certainly a factor too.

I can't be more happier with my Oppo personnaly.
Chere likes this.
post #19355 of 19375 Old Today, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I actually have the 105, which is more than twice the price of the 103. I use the done extension and am very happy with the wireless connection. I think everyone who reads this thread wishes you a Merry Christmas. Just return it and quit whining. There are thousands of extremely satisfied OPPO customers who enjoy their products. Go to Walmart and get a $39.95 Blu-ray player that you will be happy with. Have a nice day.
I enjoy the product. Apparently, you have a reading comprehension issue because I clearly said I was thrilled with the player overall, but that this issue was unnecessary and should have been thought out more. The wireless feels like an afterthought which I suppose it is because the selling point is the video and audio processing capabilities of the player which, I must mention, I am enjoying. I am keeping the player, but as a consumer, I have the right to voice my opinion and displeasure with a product should I see fit. You're right that I have the option to return it. That goes without saying.

So please, quit with your condescending and judgmental attitude. I don't appreciate being talked down to either.

Happy Holidays.
post #19356 of 19375 Old Today, 10:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Wifi 101:

The killer of Wifi is interference. Interference causes network packets to be missed, which causes resends, which clobbers throughput.

Wifi uses radio frequencies that are also used by cordless house phones, things like alarm systems, and home automation. Microwave ovens also leak these frequencies when they are running.

And of course another Wifi operating nearby also may be using these frequencies. Perhaps from a neighbor's Wifi. Putting you own Wifi transmitters close together may also cause problems.

Connection Strength is not a measure of whether interference is present or not.

However, the higher you can get the Connection Strength, the less likely you'll be impacted by interference. The key purpose of the extender OPPO provides is to allow you to reposition the Wifi dongle to increase Connection Strength. Try to get that to at least 70. The higher, the better.

Wifi systems operate on a range of "channels". Typically your base station will pick a channel automatically -- when it is turned on -- which it thinks has the least interference. The problems with that are (1) the channel does not change if other nearby Wifi setups turn on afterwards, and (2) the interference check happens where the base station is located -- not where a client device like the OPPO is located.

If you are in an environment like an apartment building with lots of neighboring Wifi setups, you can often get better througput by picking the channel yourself. This is a configuration setting in the Wifi base station. All the client devices (like the OPPO) will automatically adjust to whichever channel the base is using. You can see the channel in use in the OPPO in Setup > Network Setup > Connection Info.

(There are apps you can use to find out what channels are in use by neighbor Wifis if you want to get fancy.)

Generally speaking, the higher channel numbers are less likely to have been picked automatically.

NOTE: The OPPO Wifi operates on the 2.4GHz band, so it is the channel choices there (typically 1 through 11) which work. Higher channel choices for the 5GHz band (40 through 153) don't apply -- if you happen to have a dual-band Wifi base station.

Changing channels can also be a big help if you are getting interference from a cordless phone setup or microwave oven.

If you set up a VUDU account (free until you actually buy or rent content) you can use the Network Speed Test in the VUDU app (My VUDU > Settings & info) to see real throughput. This includes the speed actually achieved by your Wifi (given whatever interference is present), the speed of your Internet service, congestion on the Internet, and congestion into the VUDU servers.

A high number is good, but also see if it bounces around a lot. Random drops down to low speeds may very well mean interference is clobbering your Wifi connection.
--Bob
QuiGonJosh likes this.
post #19357 of 19375 Old Today, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I know this must've been asked before, but I couldn't find a search phrase that could easily find the results I'm looking for: how many people connect their receiver's HDMI output to the Oppo's input so that all devices can take advantage of its video processing? Are there any potential issues with this type of setup?
post #19358 of 19375 Old Today, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

How would you accomplish that without creating a signal loop?

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #19359 of 19375 Old Today, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I know this must've been asked before, but I couldn't find a search phrase that could easily find the results I'm looking for: how many people connect their receiver's HDMI output to the Oppo's input so that all devices can take advantage of its video processing? Are there any potential issues with this type of setup?
I am sure some people do this but I don't. The tests I've conducted with my Yamaha RX-v777bt vs. Oppo 103 HDMI 1 out, which has the better Marvel Qdeo processor (although the processor on the HDMI 2 output ain't shabby), shows that I am not gaining much in upconversion quality using the Oppo over the Yamaha.

I have Oppo's HDMI 1 going straight to my Epson 1080P projector, by-passing the Yamaha completely. I have tried the HDMI 2 going through the Yamaha which is doing the conversion of all standard disks up to the ability of the projector, which is 1080p (the 777 can upconvert to 4K even, but of course it won't if the projector will not accept it). Basically, the difference is so slight between the Yamaha's ability and the Oppo, that I just send everything through the receiver and use the Oppo's HDMI 1 as a dedicated blu ray/3D output. Others might see things differently and of course it all depends on the the receiver you have and it's ability.

shortspark
post #19360 of 19375 Old Today, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Deleted a couple of posts.

Take it offline if you're going to bicker. Otherwise you will be removed from this thread.

Thanks,

K
woof07 likes this.

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness

Last edited by Kysersose; Today at 11:43 AM.
post #19361 of 19375 Old Today, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
How would you accomplish that without creating a signal loop?
To clarify, what I meant was Receiver->Oppo->TV
post #19362 of 19375 Old Today, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

How are you going to run the Oppo? HDMI 2 out to receiver?

post #19363 of 19375 Old Today, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
To clarify, what I meant was Receiver->Oppo->TV
What most Oppo owners do and the general recommendation is to run all your sources into the Oppo first, then out to your receiver, then to the tv. (i.e. Oppo->Receiver->Tv)
post #19364 of 19375 Old Today, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
The wireless feels like an afterthought which I suppose it is because the selling point is the video and audio processing capabilities of the player which, I must mention, I am enjoying.
The goal here is to solve the problem, which apparently is not with the video/audio aspects of the 103 but rather with its wireless connectivity in your particular setup. There are reasonable hardware solutions to a less-than-superb wireless connectivity problem at distant locations from the primary WiFi router in your house, where a true ethernet wired solution alternative at that location doesn't currently exist.

One usually very successful solution is through "ethernet over powerline adapters", which use the copper wiring in the walls of your home which bring AC power sockets to each room, as if they were ethernet cable connectors, through the use of a pair of "gizmos" plugged into the wall AC power sockets themselves. One gizmo plugs into a wall AC power socket near your router and connects via wired ethernet cable to a LAN port on the router, initiating the TCPIP transmission through the copper power cables of your home. A second (or third, etc.) gizmo goes near your internet-enabled device(s), plugging into a nearby wall AC power socket at that location. Again, a wired ethernet cable then connects from the gizmo to your internet-enabled device. You are now truly connected WIRED, rather than wireless, to that remote location where genuine ethernet wired connectivity was previously not available.

Alternatively, if you happen to have old-fashioned cable company 75ohm coax running through your walls so that there's a pair of unused coax connectors near both the router and also near the target remote location elsewhere in your house, you can use "ethernet over coax adapters" the same way. As with "ethernet over powerline adapters", in this case it's 75ohm coax that substitutes for true ethernet cable, and through the pair of gizmos provides wired connectivity back to the primary router. The advantage to these pieces of hardware is that it can be successfully used up to runs of 1000 feet of coax, to provide wired connectivity to the router over truly great distances.

Furthermore, if you need more than just one wired connection at the remote gizmo location, you can add an inexpensive "switch" and connect it to the gizmo, providing say four (or eight, or whatever you need, depending on the switch you buy) wired ethernet port connections there where the gizmo itself might have only been able to provide one wired connection ethernet port. Then you can connect multiple internet-enabled devices using wired connection to the switch, which in conjunction with the gizmo is providing genuinely wired connectivity back to the primary router at the other end of the house... through the copper power cabling running in your walls, or through 75ohm coax.

If you need truly additional and stronger wireless connectivity at the remote gizmo location (although if available wired is always preferred for reliability), you can use a "wireless access point (WAP)" to radiate a second wireless network SSID in its vicinity. Typically these WAPs also include a built-in 4-port wired switch capability as well as providing the second wireless network capability. So you can use the WAP instead of a standalone wired-only switch, connecting one of the wired ports on the WAP via ethernet cable to the ethernet port on the gizmo. That leaves the three remaining wired ethernet ports on the WAP for additional local wired connections to internet-enabled devices, in addition to also providing that second wireless network from the WAP itself if you still want strong wireless (say for nearby laptops) in its vicinity.

Many ways to address a less-than-perfect wireless capability at remote distances from the primary WiFi router in your home. All devices connected through the remote "extenders", WAPs, switches and gizmos will all be managed by the DHCP server function in your primary router in your home and will be handled and managed as if they were ordinary "wired connected devices" connecting directly to the primary router, so they can all see each other on your home's one-and-only LAN.
QuiGonJosh likes this.

Last edited by DSperber; Today at 01:25 PM.
post #19365 of 19375 Old Today, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Plastic cases don't interfere with signals like metal cases may do. There is a good reason why Oppo (and lots of other higher quality players) are built with metal cabinets and chassis rather than plastic. Metal provides a more rigid case and less likelihood of electrical interference. It is always possible for a cheap product to do something as well as or better than a more expensive one but as several people have pointed out, Oppo provides the extension so you can position the dongle for the best performance and still have all the benefits of their better build quality. In the end, Oppo provides the best of both worlds.
lanping09 likes this.

post #19366 of 19375 Old Today, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
So I've been playing around with my new 103 and I really dig it a lot. It's the little things that separate it from the competition. I love how sturdy it feels, the dual HDMI outputs, the picture options and zoom functions, how quick discs load, etc. I love that I can send video to the TV and audio to the receiver with the dual HDMI outputs. I put in the Expendables 3 BD and it loaded it up like it was a DVD. Super fast. I tested a few anamorphic and non-anamorphic discs and honestly couldn't tell any difference between HDMI 1 or 2. HDMI 1 being the one using Qdeo and HDMI 2 without. Is there a Qdeo selection in the menu's? I couldn't find any. Overall I really really like this player a lot. It feels like it's going to last me many years.
Is there a QDEO selection in the menu? Yes and no.

You won't find a menu item for turning QDEO processing on and off, or any menu item which specifically includes the acronym "QDEO". On the other hand, because HDMI 1 output includes QDEO processing and HDMI 2 doesn't, and the QDEO chip only does video processing, you'll see a difference between the picture quality menus for HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. Some video processing for HDMI 1 is handled by the Mediatek chip and some by the QDEO chip and the picture quality menu options for HDMI 1 show you what you can adjust but don't tell you which chip is doing the processing. All video processing for HDMI 2 is handled by the Mediatek chip and the setting options in the picture quality menu for HDMI 2 only affect Mediatek processing. The differences between the 2 picture quality menus are covered in the manual so you should read the section on the picture quality menu there in order to understand the differences fully.
post #19367 of 19375 Old Today, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Dead horse alert!
gsr and gwsat like this.
post #19368 of 19375 Old Today, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Dead horse alert!
I knew I smelled something.
post #19369 of 19375 Old Today, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Like I said, I did the connection test and it showed 60% signal strength which should be enough to at least load the apps. And again, it worked fine last night. Whatever, it's working fine now with that stupid looking extension that I just have sitting behind the stand. This is just poor design on Oppo's part. Small antenna's on the back would have been much better.

I don't appreciate this attitude. Of course I have the option to return it. Oppo also has the option to design a better system for their wireless features. They clearly did not do this. I'm thrilled with everything else regarding the player, but this main feature should have been better designed is all I'm saying. If all you have to give in way of advice is a snarky comment, then please don't share that in the future.
Wow, have you never used a nicely made product that had a temporary issue? For $500, you expect perfection? Even a $150,000 Porsche/Bentley/[fill in the blank] has some issues.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.

Last edited by pbarach; Today at 05:22 PM.
post #19370 of 19375 Old Today, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I totally disagree. I don't like the idea of devices having internal wi-fi modules and fixed wi-fi aerials. For me (and I suspect many others), the Oppo way is the best way
+1
post #19371 of 19375 Old Today, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDMI "handshakes" cause 2-ch analog dropouts?

Hi, please forgive if I'm in the wrong forum. I just bought an OPPO BDP-103 as both a Blu-ray and CD/SACD player. For Blu-ray, the 103 is connected with HDMI to a Sony KDL-55W900A HDTV. For 2-channel analog CD/SACD, it is connected with analog cables to a Carver HR-752 receiver/preamp. (The Carver does not have HDMI inputs/outputs.)

Apparently the TV (or player?--one or the other) attempts random HDMI "handshakes" related to DHCP. These "handshakes" occur even when the TV is off.

As a result, every "handshake" results in a 4-5 second audio dropout...while I'm listening to 2-channel analog stereo!

OPPO tried to troubleshoot the issue with me by email for several days. However, the only recommended solution so far is to "always leave the TV ON...use Pure Audio to try to reduce energy consumption," or, "remove the HDMI cable completely from the player."

I'd rather not leave the TV on; that wastes electricity. I'd also rather not constantly remove/replace the HDMI cable each and every time I want to listen to 2-channel audio. For me, those are both very undesirable solutions...

Does any forum member have the same or very similar setup (OPPO connected to Sony TV with HDMI, and to analog receiver/preamp with analog cables)?

If you have a similar setup...have you figured out how to eliminate the "handshake" problem, without leaving the TV on, or without removing the HDMI cable? (For example, is there a setting on either the KDL-55W900A or BDP-103 to temporarily "turn off" HDMI handshakes?)

I like the player; but this characteristic prevents me from "loving" it. I would appreciate any tested, proven suggestions...
post #19372 of 19375 Old Today, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Does anyone that runs region free hardware have issues? I'm thinking about purchasing a region free player from Bombay electronics. Is $629 a decent price? I mean the player alone is $499 from oppo and many sites sell the mod for $75-$150- I don't mind paying a little extra to have the tech support and garauntee the the mod will not stop working
post #19373 of 19375 Old Today, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy85 View Post
Does anyone that runs region free hardware have issues? I'm thinking about purchasing a region free player from Bombay electronics. Is $629 a decent price? I mean the player alone is $499 from oppo and many sites sell the mod for $75-$150- I don't mind paying a little extra to have the tech support and garauntee the the mod will not stop working
I bought my all-region-modified 103 from Bombay in February 2013. I communicated extensively with them vie e-mail, both before and after my purchase, and the timeliness and extent of their support has invariably been top-notch. I should add that none of my communication with them has been problem-related. It's all been technological in nature... as I have had no problems with my 103 whatsoever.

I have over 1,500 DVDs and Blu-rays, many of which are not Region 1 / Region A. I have updated my firmware with every "official" update that's been released (including the current one)... and there has never been a problem of any sort with the update interfering with the player's ability to successfully switch regions.

The ability of this already-incredible Oppo to play any-and-all DVD and BD discs is extremely important to me... and the assurance that it will do so, completely reliably -- now and in the future -- is more than worth the added expense.
post #19374 of 19375 Old Today, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Oppo has great MKV video playback but has a couple of issues - forced subs don't work so if an alien or Russian starts speaking in their native tongue (if they have one), you won't see the English subtitles pop up. It also can't play LPCM audio tracks - you can convert them to another format such as flac with apps like makemkv. If they could fix those two issues it would be wonderful but since they haven't addressed those yet, I don't think we'll see a fix anytime soon.

It has no problem with any Dolby or DTS that I've thrown at it and I've thrown a lot at it as I have a pretty large collection on MKV.

Is this something that we can ask Oppo to remedy in a future firmware update?
post #19375 of 19375 Old Today, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by B 26354 View Post
I bought my all-region-modified 103 from Bombay in February 2013. I communicated extensively with them vie e-mail, both before and after my purchase, and the timeliness and extent of their support has invariably been top-notch. I should add that none of my communication with them has been problem-related. It's all been technological in nature... as I have had no problems with my 103 whatsoever.

I have over 1,500 DVDs and Blu-rays, many of which are not Region 1 / Region A. I have updated my firmware with every "official" update that's been released (including the current one)... and there has never been a problem of any sort with the update interfering with the player's ability to successfully switch regions.

The ability of this already-incredible Oppo to play any-and-all DVD and BD discs is extremely important to me... and the assurance that it will do so, completely reliably -- now and in the future -- is more than worth the added expense.

Awesome thanks for the response!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page