Forum Jump: 
 275Likes

post #19351 of 19357 Old Today, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 161
You were given sound advice. You may either take it or move on. I personally use the extension because of where everything is located.
gsr and markrubin like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19352 of 19357 Old Today, 09:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Calm down.

Wifi throughput is affected by lots of things including interference, such as from other Wifi transmitters near by (perhaps even your other players). It is not unusual that moving the Wifi a few inches can make a difference which is why OPPO includes the extender -- so you don't have to reposition the whole player.

The fact that it worked yesterday, but not today until you shifted the antenna, suggests either interference or a configuration problem, such as two devices on your home network being assigned the same IP address.

Now that it is working, I suggest you leave it this way. If the problem returns we can try to figure out what's interfering.
--Bob
post #19353 of 19357 Old Today, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 759
I actually have the 105, which is more than twice the price of the 103. I use the done extension and am very happy with the wireless connection. I think everyone who reads this thread wishes you a Merry Christmas. Just return it and quit whining. There are thousands of extremely satisfied OPPO customers who enjoy their products. Go to Walmart and get a $39.95 Blu-ray player that you will be happy with. Have a nice day.
post #19354 of 19357 Old Today, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The answer to why 50$ players don't have a WiFi dongle and the Oppo does is rather simple. The Oppo being a well made player is full metal outfitted which makes internal antennas impossible. This all metal case keeps all undesired waves out of the player, it shields it from external contamination. 50$ players don't care about shielding much and thus include the antena inside the thing since its all plastic anyway. It's just physics: shielding the Oppo to keep unwanted interference from the outside also keeps WiFi waves impossible to penetrate. I prefer my player to be well shielded and well built even if it means having to have the dongle outside. If you care more for shielding and quality and don't mind a dongle you buy an Oppo. If built quality and shielding is lower in priority than having an internal antenna you buy something else. No player is perfect. We choose according to our priorities.

Also, the reason the dongle sometimes works better using the extension is that the extension puts the doogle vertical instead of horizontal. Positioning is certainly a factor too.

I can't be more happier with my Oppo personnaly.
post #19355 of 19357 Old Today, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I actually have the 105, which is more than twice the price of the 103. I use the done extension and am very happy with the wireless connection. I think everyone who reads this thread wishes you a Merry Christmas. Just return it and quit whining. There are thousands of extremely satisfied OPPO customers who enjoy their products. Go to Walmart and get a $39.95 Blu-ray player that you will be happy with. Have a nice day.
I enjoy the product. Apparently, you have a reading comprehension issue because I clearly said I was thrilled with the player overall, but that this issue was unnecessary and should have been thought out more. The wireless feels like an afterthought which I suppose it is because the selling point is the video and audio processing capabilities of the player which, I must mention, I am enjoying. I am keeping the player, but as a consumer, I have the right to voice my opinion and displeasure with a product should I see fit. You're right that I have the option to return it. That goes without saying.

So please, quit with your condescending and judgmental attitude. I don't appreciate being talked down to either.

Happy Holidays.
post #19356 of 19357 Old Today, 10:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Wifi 101:

The killer of Wifi is interference. Interference causes network packets to be missed, which causes resends, which clobbers throughput.

Wifi uses radio frequencies that are also used by cordless house phones, things like alarm systems, and home automation. Microwave ovens also leak these frequencies when they are running.

And of course another Wifi operating nearby also may be using these frequencies. Perhaps from a neighbor's Wifi. Putting you own Wifi transmitters close together may also cause problems.

Connection Strength is not a measure of whether interference is present or not.

However, the higher you can get the Connection Strength, the less likely you'll be impacted by interference. The key purpose of the extender OPPO provides is to allow you to reposition the Wifi dongle to increase Connection Strength. Try to get that to at least 70. The higher, the better.

Wifi systems operate on a range of "channels". Typically your base station will pick a channel automatically -- when it is turned on -- which it thinks has the least interference. The problems with that are (1) the channel does not change if other nearby Wifi setups turn on afterwards, and (2) the interference check happens where the base station is located -- not where a client device like the OPPO is located.

If you are in an environment like an apartment building with lots of neighboring Wifi setups, you can often get better througput by picking the channel yourself. This is a configuration setting in the Wifi base station. All the client devices (like the OPPO) will automatically adjust to whichever channel the base is using. You can see the channel in use in the OPPO in Setup > Network Setup > Connection Info.

(There are apps you can use to find out what channels are in use by neighbor Wifis if you want to get fancy.)

Generally speaking, the higher channel numbers are less likely to have been picked automatically.

NOTE: The OPPO Wifi operates on the 2.4GHz band, so it is the channel choices there (typically 1 through 11) which work. Higher channel choices for the 5GHz band (40 through 153) don't apply -- if you happen to have a dual-band Wifi base station.

Changing channels can also be a big help if you are getting interference from a cordless phone setup or microwave oven.

If you set up a VUDU account (free until you actually buy or rent content) you can use the Network Speed Test in the VUDU app (My VUDU > Settings & info) to see real throughput. This includes the speed actually achieved by your Wifi (given whatever interference is present), the speed of your Internet service, congestion on the Internet, and congestion into the VUDU servers.

A high number is good, but also see if it bounces around a lot. Random drops down to low speeds may very well mean interference is clobbering your Wifi connection.
--Bob
QuiGonJosh likes this.
post #19357 of 19357 Old Today, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2530 Post(s)
Liked: 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Like I said, I did the connection test and it showed 60% signal strength which should be enough to at least load the apps. And again, it worked fine last night. Whatever, it's working fine now with that stupid looking extension that I just have sitting behind the stand. This is just poor design on Oppo's part. Small antenna's on the back would have been much better.

I don't appreciate this attitude. Of course I have the option to return it. Oppo also has the option to design a better system for their wireless features. They clearly did not do this. I'm thrilled with everything else regarding the player, but this main feature should have been better designed is all I'm saying. If all you have to give in way of advice is a snarky comment, then please don't share that in the future.
The advice you’re getting is free, from people spending their own time trying to help you. Ranting at them isn't likely to be very productive for you. So far, the advice I've seen being given has been good and constructive.

Were you unaware of the wireless dongle before you ought the Oppo? If so, and you dislike it, all you can do is return the Oppo and choose a player that has the built-in wifi you seek.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page