Here are the discs:

Bryan Adams "Reckless": 2.0 Dolby TrueHD = PL II: Movies
: 2.0 DTS HD Master = Neo 6: Cinema

Nat King Cole "The Extraordinary": 2.0 Dolby TrueHD = PL II: Movies

Genesis: "Selling England By The Pound": 2.0 DTS HD Master = Neo 6: Cinema

George Michael: "Symphonica": 2.0 DTS HD Master = Neo 6: Cinema
Okay...

I've just purchased 'Selling England By The Pound' from Amazon. It should arrive on Monday. I'll report what happens - Somebody owes me £10.25 by-the-way

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19412 of 19429 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I received my 103 and hooked it today. A couple of questions:

I have a Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player which I've connected to the front HDMI input of the Oppo. The Toshiba is set to output multi-channel (5.1) LPCM. When connected straight to the receiver, the audio is output normally, but through the Oppo, the audio is being converted/down-mixed to 3.0 LPCM. I've switched cables, and tried both the front and back input, same issue. Any ideas as to what the issue might be?

When playing media content, are there any undocumented navigation shortcuts? Specifically, I was wondering if there's any way to skip or go back in short time increments i.e. 10/20/30 seconds.
post #19413 of 19429 Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Bill Mac and myself have discovered the following anomoly (though this may have been pointed out previously and we've missed it) with regards to some of the UMe HFPA blu ray music discs, when played via our Oppo 103s. I'll lay out the issues I've had personally, if anyone has had similar problems and have resolved them somehow, I'd like to hear about it. If not, perhaps I'll drop a line to Oppo. I'm running the current Oppo software into a Pioneer SC-61 receiver using HDMI. This receiver has been stellar and always plays what the Oppo sends it without fail. I have 13 HFPAs and have issues on 4 of them. The problem is in stereo mode only with 2.0 Dolby TrueHD and 2.0 DTS HD Master. Any 5.1 MC mixes play normally. The audio setting on the Oppo is bitstream, and the following happens: 2.0 DTS HD Master is being sent as Neo 6 :Cinema, and 2.0 Dolby TrueHD is being sent as ProLogic II: Movies. Any with 2.0 pcm are not affected. Here are the discs:

Bryan Adams "Reckless": 2.0 Dolby TrueHD = PL II: Movies

Nat King Cole "The Extraordinary": 2.0 Dolby TrueHD = PL II: Movies

Genesis: "Selling England By The Pound": 2.0 DTS HD Master = Neo 6: Cinema

George Michael: "Symphonica": 2.0 DTS HD Master = Neo 6: Cinema

It was noted in another thread that changing the Oppo from bitstream to LPCM will solve this issue, but I would prefer to leave the setting on bitstream if possible. I believe Bill Mac is having a similar issue on his Rolling Stones: Grrr HFPA. I have a couple other blu ray players here which don't seem to have any problems sending the correct codecs through, so it doesn't appear to be a disc only issue. Any thoughts? Thanks....
I bet the encoding for 2.0 Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA of those four enumerated Blu-ray Audio discs above is wrong (glitch).

* Did you also try them in another Blu-ray player, like in a Sony BD player for example? ...Them four exact Blu-ray Audio titles.
{If you don't have another BD player, just bring your BD A discs to your friend's place, and set both his BD player and AV receiver accordingly.}

Last edited by NorthSky; Yesterday at 04:35 PM.
post #19414 of 19429 Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Okay...

I've just purchased 'Selling England By The Pound' from Amazon. It should arrive on Monday. I'll report what happens - Somebody owes me £10.25 by-the-way
I'd appreciate your findings. I didn't notice that disc acting up for a long time because I was listening to the 5.1 MC which worked fine for me, just the 2.0 was wonky as I discovered the other night. i've tried some cable movement at Oppo's request with no good results. They'd like a sample disc or two which I don't mind sending if the discs appear to be the culprit...though I am in Canada. Think I'll wait to see what you discover with your copy. And btw, that is one great disc, I consider that well bought for that price.
post #19415 of 19429 Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Okay...

I've just purchased 'Selling England By The Pound' from Amazon. It should arrive on Monday. I'll report what happens -
Somebody owes me £10.25 by-the-way
That, is a true friendly helping hand. ...And if you like this album as much as I do, then you are in the 100% winning team.
post #19416 of 19429 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I received my 103 and hooked it today. A couple of questions:

I have a Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player which I've connected to the front HDMI input of the Oppo. The Toshiba is set to output multi-channel (5.1) LPCM. When connected straight to the receiver, the audio is output normally, but through the Oppo, the audio is being converted/down-mixed to 3.0 LPCM. I've switched cables, and tried both the front and back input, same issue. Any ideas as to what the issue might be?

. . . .
While playing that content through either HDMI Input, press Info on the remote to bring up the on-screen display, then press Page Up or Page Down to change what's shown. The top line will show what the OPPO sees as input, and the bottom line will show what it is sending out as output.

See if you are getting LPCM 5.1 in and out according to those. Also check that the video resolution in and out is 720p or higher.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #19417 of 19429 Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player; is only 1080i. ==> http://web1.toshiba.ca/toshibahddvd/HD-A2.php
post #19418 of 19429 Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I bet the encoding for 2.0 Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA of those four enumerated Blu-ray Audio discs above is wrong (glitch).

* Did you also try them in another Blu-ray player, like in a Sony BD player for example? ...Them four exact Blu-ray Audio titles.
{If you don't have another BD player, just bring your BD A discs to your friend's place, and set both his BD player and AV receiver accordingly.}
I have a Sony BX-1 (Costco's 350) and a 5700 Samsung. Neither are hooked to a sound system, just a display. I tried the disc (Nat King Cole) in both players and they read exactly as they should. But the Oppo reads correctly too, the stream just doesn't seem to get to the AVR the way it left the BD player. It's like if Star Trek beamed someone to a planet surface and all that arrived was a pile of dog poo. Anyway, I do like your idea NorthSky, and I'll be visiting my son next week who has a fairly nice home theater set up, I'll take a couple of the discs along for the ride and try them out there if I don't figure this out before hand. He has a playstation and new Marantz AVR. I may move one or more of my players into the home theater loop here to check further using the same cabling and AVR, it's just that my stuff is very hard to move in and out. That's why I bought the 103, I knew it wouldn't have to come out for a long time
post #19419 of 19429 Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

...As long as your son's PS3 can bitstream the two Lossless audio codecs.
post #19420 of 19429 Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I love this thread - it has to be one of the most active and helpful ones on AVS!

Quote:
The Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player; is only 1080i. ==> http://web1.toshiba.ca/toshibahddvd/HD-A2.php
Exactly why I would like to pass the video to the Oppo to perform the de-interlacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
While playing that content through either HDMI Input, press Info on the remote to bring up the on-screen display, then press Page Up or Page Down to change what's shown. The top line will show what the OPPO sees as input, and the bottom line will show what it is sending out as output.

See if you are getting LPCM 5.1 in and out according to those. Also check that the video resolution in and out is 720p or higher.
--Bob
Well, I went to check, and lo and behold, it seems to be working now. Not sure what changed... maybe the power up sequence of the devices has to do with it, mucking up with the HDMI handshake somehow. Anyway, I'm not complaining. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it ever surfaces again.
post #19421 of 19429 Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM

Quote:
...As long as your son's PS3 can bitstream the two Lossless audio codecs.
Hmmm, good point, I'm not up on what the PS machines can do, bit streaming may be too much to ask. This is starting to look like I may have to get off my a** and do it myself
post #19422 of 19429 Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
When playing media content, are there any undocumented navigation shortcuts? Specifically, I was wondering if there's any way to skip or go back in short time increments i.e. 10/20/30 seconds.
From the release notes from an update last Feb:

Quote:
8. Added an "INSTANT REPLAY" function to video playback. If the customer presses the AB REPLAY button twice (two presses within 1 second), video playback will be automatically rewound 10 seconds.
-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #19423 of 19429 Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not only the thread that is good, but also the people inside the thread.

But the very best of all; it's the Oppo BDP-103 player.
skip61 likes this.
post #19424 of 19429 Old Today, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Issue Playing Movies from HDD or Tunmbdrive

I have had my 103 for almost 2 years. During that time I have been able to play movies via the USB port with no issue. For about the last month or so I have been having a problem with movies on my HDD and two different Thumbdrives losing picture and the screen showing what we used to call snow in the analog days.

I have done a firmware upgrade recently but this issue predates the last update. I cannot tie the issue to a previous update although it is possible.

I updated and didn't reset to factory values immediately, however in an effort to correct the issue I have reset the unit, no improvement.

I have tried USB port on the front and back of the unit. HDMI inputs do not have this issue, nor do actual DVD or Bluray disc.

The issue occurs at various intervals but sometimes as often as every 3-4 minutes. To correct I have to stop the movie then restart it, it has not failed to start and work fine for the next time interval.

Movies I have played many times before are doing this. I am using the 103 as the hub, no preamp just source component (cable box, HDD, Thumbdrive)>Oppo 103> Amps/Projector.

It appears I am going to need to send the unit in for repair but i thought I would ask for recommendations here first.

Any ideas as to how to correct this are appreciated.

Best,
Ed
post #19425 of 19429 Old Today, 10:18 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Based on the timing, that sounds like the periodic HDMI Copy Protection check is failing and not recovering on a retry. Typically this is an HDMI cabling problem. Try reseating all the HDMI plugs in their sockets. Any HDMI connection in the entire signal path could be the cause, even if no problem using other Source devices.

HDMI is just friction fit, and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket, perhaps tugged by cable weight or kinks in the cable, to screw things up.

Also try turning Deep Color OFF and setting Resolution to 720p. If that works but your normal settings do not, that suggests marginal HDMI cables for the higher bandwidth settings.

With the above, I'd expect you would also have problems playing Blu-ray discs. If not, check whether the HDMI output from the player is different when playing from the hard drive. Press Info and, for the discs, Page Up or Page Down, and the bottom line will show what's going out on each HDMI output.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Today at 10:19 AM.
post #19426 of 19429 Old Today, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I have a Sony BX-1 (Costco's 350) and a 5700 Samsung. Neither are hooked to a sound system, just a display. I tried the disc (Nat King Cole) in both players and they read exactly as they should. But the Oppo reads correctly too, the stream just doesn't seem to get to the AVR the way it left the BD player. It's like if Star Trek beamed someone to a planet surface and all that arrived was a pile of dog poo. Anyway, I do like your idea NorthSky, and I'll be visiting my son next week who has a fairly nice home theater set up, I'll take a couple of the discs along for the ride and try them out there if I don't figure this out before hand. He has a playstation and new Marantz AVR. I may move one or more of my players into the home theater loop here to check further using the same cabling and AVR, it's just that my stuff is very hard to move in and out. That's why I bought the 103, I knew it wouldn't have to come out for a long time
Just an update on this HFPA issue: I temporarily moved my Samsung 5700 BD player into the home theatre rig replacing the 103. All " bad actor" discs still performed, well, bad. The issue is now contained to the shiny disc/cabling/AVR so I won't take up anymore space on the 103 thread. Thank you to all who offered advice, this thread is, as it always has been, invaluable.
post #19427 of 19429 Old Today, 05:48 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Just an update on this HFPA issue: I temporarily moved my Samsung 5700 BD player into the home theatre rig replacing the 103. All " bad actor" discs still performed, well, bad. The issue is now contained to the shiny disc/cabling/AVR so I won't take up anymore space on the 103 thread. Thank you to all who offered advice, this thread is, as it always has been, invaluable.
Please do keep us posted on your findings as the solution, if one is found, may be useful to others.
post #19428 of 19429 Old Today, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Please do keep us posted on your findings as the solution, if one is found, may be useful to others.
You bet.
post #19429 of 19429 Old Today, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I told ya so (dat was my best guess).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page