Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 649 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 297Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19441 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM
Member
 
JohnnymoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Does it hurt anything to switch all the resolution outputs to yes in the STB? I have these choices.... I run straight from the STB to the monitor....


1080i
720p
480i
1080p24 PASS
1080p30 PASS
1080p

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

JohnnymoZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19442 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,064
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
^ That's what you want to do. The idea is to have the set top box pass along to the OPPO exactly what's coming in for whatever program you are watching. This means all the video processing gets done in the OPPO which should give you the best picture.

The only downside to this is that each change of output resolution from the set top box will require a new HDMI handshake -- which means a couple seconds delay before the audio/video picks up again.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #19443 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ View Post
Does it hurt anything to switch all the resolution outputs to yes in the STB? I have these choices.... I run straight from the STB to the monitor....


1080i
720p
480i
1080p24 PASS
1080p30 PASS
1080p
If you're running straight from your STB to your monitor, why are you even asking the question on the 103 forum then? Does this have anything to do with your Oppo player? I guess you meant to say you will be sending your STB output thru your 103, then on to your monitor?
DanF8500 is offline  
post #19444 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I've experienced a couple of occasions where blu-ray playback freezes momentarily with my 103. I've only had it for a few days, but this behaviour seems strange to me. The first time was when I was watching the extras/behind-the-scenes feature on the Micro Monsters 3D BBC documentary (I believe the content is 1080i50hz), which I hadn't been able to watch before since my previous player didn't support this resolution. Twice, within a minute of each other, there was a very momentary pause (about a second), after which the playback continued normally. I didn't think much of it, and discounted it to a random quirk. I observed no audio/video drop-outs. Last night, I was watching Edge of Tomorrow in 3D. At the 30:16 mark exactly, the playback froze for a couple of seconds, with very obvious screen tearing visible (the top half of the frame was displayed, the bottom half was a blocky mess of screen artifacts). I skipped back to just before the same time index and the same thing happened - I did this 4 times, with the same result every time. I took the disc out, popped it into my PS3, skipped to the same time - no playback issues whatsoever. I put the disc back into the Oppo, played the disc, the problem disappeared, and I could no longer reproduce it.

This has left me somewhat perplexed as to what the issue could've been.
tezster is offline  
post #19445 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
. At the 30:16 mark exactly, the playback froze for a couple of seconds, with very obvious screen tearing visible (the top half of the frame was displayed, the bottom half was a blocky mess of screen artifacts). I skipped back to just before the same time index and the same thing happened - I did this 4 times, with the same result every time. I took the disc out, popped it into my PS3, skipped to the same time - no playback issues whatsoever. I put the disc back into the Oppo, played the disc, the problem disappeared, and I could no longer reproduce it.

This has left me somewhat perplexed as to what the issue could've been.
Cat hair?
rdgrimes is online now  
post #19446 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ That's what you want to do. The idea is to have the set top box pass along to the OPPO exactly what's coming in for whatever program you are watching. This means all the video processing gets done in the OPPO which should give you the best picture.

The only downside to this is that each change of output resolution from the set top box will require a new HDMI handshake -- which means a couple seconds delay before the audio/video picks up again.
--Bob
Well worth it IMO.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
AlexanderDelarg is offline  
post #19447 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 459
^Definitely!
Keenan is online now  
post #19448 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
Well worth it IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
^Definitely!
IMO, those hdmi handshakes are a dealbreaker. For a person who changes channels often between 720p and 1080i broadcasts throughout the evening, its a PITA to have to wait 2-3 seconds. Also, my Samsung plasma will throw up its information screen showing video resolution/refresh rate, hdmi input, etc "every" time the video resolution changes. There's no way to defeat this annoying info screen, unless the video input stays the same for each channel change. I see no discernible difference to the quality of picture between 720p and 1080i broadcasts with my verizon fios DVR and Samsung plasma to warrant outputting a broadcast channel's native video and wait 2-3 seconds between channel changes.

Last edited by DanF8500; Yesterday at 12:56 PM.
DanF8500 is offline  
post #19449 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Member
 
JohnnymoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
If you're running straight from your STB to your monitor, why are you even asking the question on the 103 forum then? Does this have anything to do with your Oppo player? I guess you meant to say you will be sending your STB output thru your 103, then on to your monitor?
Whoa brother, take a Geratol!! Yea, I was in a hurry writing before work....

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

JohnnymoZ is offline  
post #19450 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
IMO, those hdmi handshakes are a dealbreaker. For a person who changes channels often between 720p and 1080i broadcasts throughout the evening, its a PITA to have to wait 2-3 seconds. Also, my Samsung plasma will throw up its information screen showing video resolution/refresh rate, hdmi input, etc "every" time the video resolution changes. There's no way to defeat this annoying info screen, unless the video input stays the same for each channel change.
I have the 103D along with the same display you have and I just figure that if I'm going to get the best performance possible out of the Oppo video processing and the Darbee processing I might as well send the Oppo the cleanest signal I can. Plus, I don't do a lot of channel changes, I'm much more of a "record and watch" type TV viewer, about the only time I'll be changing channels often would be during Sat/Sun football games. But I certainly understand how that delay and the screen flashes/logos would be annoying, it annoys me in fact, but the alternative is workable for me given the results and my use patterns(infrequent channel changes).
Keenan is online now  
post #19451 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,465
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ View Post
Does it hurt anything to switch all the resolution outputs to yes in the STB? I have these choices.... I run straight from the STB to the monitor....

1080i
720p
480i
1080p24 PASS
1080p30 PASS
1080p
Your wording is confusing. As was already asked, if you're truly running your STB (which you haven't named, but please do, brand and model, along with your service provider) directly to the monitor, then why are you asking a question about your 103? As was already speculated, are you now planning to change your current setup to instead go through the 103 and then on to the display (or perhaps then on to your AVR and then on to your display)? Can you please clarify?

As Bob said, when routing external HDMI sources through the 103 to take advantage of video "cleanup and upconversion to 1080p (for delivery to AVR/display) the goal is definitely to send untouched (aka "native") original 720p/1080i source content from your source device (e.g. your STB) to the 103. It is in the 103 that you want the cleanup/upconvert to 1080p to occur for delivery to your HDTV, and the 103 will do the best possible job on that if you feed it the untouched original 720p/1080i source.

So you don't want the STB to do anything but deliver "native" (automatically, if possible, to avoid inconvenience for you personally) 720p programs as 720p and 1080i programs as 1080i. Broadcast and cable HD channels are only delivered as 720p or 1080i, and if you watch the occasional SD channel they are delivered as 480i. So you also want 480i from the STB to be delivered as 480i to the 103.

Looking at your list above, I'm guessing your asking about a setup option in your STB that specifies what your HDTV can accept, so that the STB can decide what to put out for delivery. I assume the 1080p24 PASS and 1080p30 PASS options are perhaps for pay-per-view or OnDemand, to be sent on out exactly as received... if received. These couldn't apply to broadcast/cable channels which don't transmit in 1080p, but assuming the cable system provides such special content then checking these to would be correct, as the 103 will also recognize these 1080p source streams coming from the STB and do no upconversion but will also just pass it on as received (i.e., also "native") to the AVR/display.

However... not yet knowing what your STB equipment is, I would probably NOT specify 1080p! In my opinion this is probably going to trigger the STB to do its own upconversion from 720p/1080i to 1080p for delivery... presumably to your HDTV, but in this [likely] new case where you're going to be feeding the 103. And you do NOT want the STB to do the upconversion of 720p/1080i to 1080p. You want the 103 to do it. And in my opinion, you should therefore PREVENT the STB from doing it, by UN-CHECKING 1080p as one of the "acceptable" output resolutions, thus forcing it to just send on through 720p as 720p and 1080i as 1080i. This will give you your optimal results when using the 103 for your cleanup/upconversion of this "native" 720p/1080i to 1080p output to your HDTV.

As was mentioned, when you change source programs on the STB between 720p and 1080i, each of these changes will trigger a new HDMI handshake. This will probably take a few seconds and the HDTV screen will probably go black during those few seconds. That's just inevitable.

Also, if the STB can be set for "native" then it will simply do nothing on its own and will just automatically send 720p input out as 720p and 1080i input out as 1080i, and you'll have to do nothing (except observe those few seconds of HDMI handshake and black screen), which is the MOST CONVENIENT WAY to set this up as you have to do nothing and the STB recognizes the source program resolution to react accordingly automatically. Some STB's do provide this "native" setting, and if yours has it then that's also what you DO want to set... in addition [in my opinion] to TURNING OFF 1080p (to guarantee that the STB does NOT upconvert 720p/1080i to 1080p, which it would otherwise do).

In summary: best visual results on your HDTV when using the 103 to cleanup/upconvert external HDMI input coming from your STB will be if you feed untouched original (aka "native") 720p/1080i content to the 103. Whatever settings on your STB can provide untouched 720p/1080i (automatically by the STB if possible, using a "native" setting if available on the STB, for maximum user convenience since you won't have to do anything yourself to manually change STB output resolutions back and forth as you change channels between 720p and 1080i programs) is what you want to set. You simply do not want the STB to do any upconversion of 480i/720p/1080i to 1080p on its own, at all, as the 103 does a much better job of that.
DSperber is offline  
post #19452 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I have the 103D along with the same display you have and I just figure that if I'm going to get the best performance possible out of the Oppo video processing and the Darbee processing I might as well send the Oppo the cleanest signal I can. Plus, I don't do a lot of channel changes, I'm much more of a "record and watch" type TV viewer, about the only time I'll be changing channels often would be during Sat/Sun football games. But I certainly understand how that delay and the screen flashes/logos would be annoying, it annoys me in fact, but the alternative is workable for me given the results and my use patterns(infrequent channel changes).
Gotcha. Yeah, I recognize you from the 8500 forums. I fully understand your reasonings, with the added Darbee processing and your viewing habits. I don't have Darbee (just a 105). I think we all have to weigh the benefits/detriments of feeding native video to the Oppo with regards to our home equipment and viewing habits. I think if I had Darbee, that would make my decision a tougher one.
DanF8500 is offline  
post #19453 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 5,607
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ View Post
Does it hurt anything to switch all the resolution outputs to yes in the STB? I have these choices.... I run straight from the STB to the monitor....


1080i
720p
480i
1080p24 PASS
1080p30 PASS
1080p
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
Well worth it IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
^Definitely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
IMO, those hdmi handshakes are a dealbreaker. For a person who changes channels often between 720p and 1080i broadcasts throughout the evening, its a PITA to have to wait 2-3 seconds. Also, my Samsung plasma will throw up its information screen showing video resolution/refresh rate, hdmi input, etc "every" time the video resolution changes. There's no way to defeat this annoying info screen, unless the video input stays the same for each channel change. I see no discernible difference to the quality of picture between 720p and 1080i broadcasts with my verizon fios DVR and Samsung plasma to warrant outputting a broadcast channel's native video and wait 2-3 seconds between channel changes.

♦ Is there an Auto selection? ...Would that be reasonable?
NorthSky is online now  
post #19454 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Your wording is confusing. As was already asked, if you're truly running your STB (which you haven't named, but please do, brand and model, along with your service provider) directly to the monitor, then why are you asking a question about your 103? As was already speculated, are you now planning to change your current setup to instead go through the 103 and then on to the display (or perhaps then on to your AVR and then on to your display)? Can you please clarify?
Careful, you may be asked to take a Geritol too....
DanF8500 is offline  
post #19455 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Gotcha. Yeah, I recognize you from the 8500 forums. I fully understand your reasonings, with the added Darbee processing and your viewing habits. I don't have Darbee (just a 105). I think we all have to weigh the benefits/detriments of feeding native video to the Oppo with regards to our home equipment and viewing habits. I think if I had Darbee, that would make my decision a tougher one.
Something I just thought of, and probably belongs in the F8500 thread, but I wonder what sort of load/work that is putting on the display with the repeated resolution changes...???
Keenan is online now  
post #19456 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,064
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Channel Up/Down is a pain.

I recommend you find the program you want in the Guide offered by the set top box, then select that. One handshake to get there.

To see why you want to send 720p from the box, pick a 720p program with a high billing rate for commercials -- e.g., a national feed for football on Fox or a prestige national program on ABC. The cable/satellite provider will most likely assign max bit rate to those to keep viewer complaints down to a dull roar.

In contrast, 720p of local station content, like most local station rebroadcasts, will typically get crappy bit rate. And non-commercial 720p from bundled channels, e.g., from Disney, likewise.

For damaged content or crappy bit rate channels it really doesn't matter what you use. The information has already been lost and nothing can recover it.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #19457 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Something I just thought of, and probably belongs in the F8500 thread, but I wonder what sort of load/work that is putting on the display with the repeated resolution changes...???
Exactly, I've constantly wondered about that. Not sure about the resolution changes and possible upscaling/deinterlacing. Obviously, when the screen blanks, you can sometimes hear a change in the plasma's background buzz (not sure if you're sensitive to this). It just feels like the tv is stressing more during that handshake, but really, the hdmi handshake is just blanking the video, so there's a voltage/current change during the transition of the blanking to the picture re-displayed. If your Oppo is outputting 1080p or your STB is outputting fixed video (1080i) direct to your tv, then there's no issue.

Last edited by DanF8500; Yesterday at 01:30 PM.
DanF8500 is offline  
post #19458 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Channel Up/Down is a pain.

I recommend you find the program you want in the Guide offered by the set top box, then select that. One handshake to get there.

To see why you want to send 720p from the box, pick a 720p program with a high billing rate for commercials -- e.g., a national feed for football on Fox or a prestige national program on ABC. The cable/satellite provider will most likely assign max bit rate to those to keep viewer complaints down to a dull roar.

--Bob
You mean there's still folks doing channel Up/Down? Back when I was a youngster, and didn't have many local channels to choose from, it was a no brainer to toggle the up/down channel buttons, but with hundreds of channels now, I would not even think of doing that. So, Bob, if you only had two choices of sending video to your tv from your cable box(720p or 1080i), you would choose 720p over 1080i, given there are quite a few more 1080i broadcasts than there are of 720p? Sorry, getting off topic here....
DanF8500 is offline  
post #19459 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,064
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
If you can only choose one, send 1080i. I'd rather have the set top box up scaling and interlacing 720p than de-interlacing and down scaling 1080i.
--Bob
Keenan and DanF8500 like this.
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #19460 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Member
 
cminer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So I have a Sony 6200, but I'm tired of the freezing and lock ups with dvds and Netflix/vudu as well as the disc tray not wanting to open. Are the oppos more dependable? I have a xbr900 and am wondering if I should wait for true 4k players next year. Any advice?
cminer72 is offline  
post #19461 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
 
donottosmeok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Its not clear from your description whether this handshake occurs when you shut off the TV (normal) or if its happening randomly after the TV is off (not normal). If it the later, the TV is at fault and its a perplexing issue. See if the TV has settings for HDMI CEC that can be turned off, or any other standby settings that might be keeping the HDMI port active, You could also try switching the TV to a different input before shutting it off,
Thanks for responding. The handshakes happen randomly when the TV is off. What OPPO explained to me today was, the player "sees" the TV connected by HDMI because the TV is "in standby mode" (the TV's HDMI ports are "always active"...something like that?). Apparently, that's the issue. From his description it sounds like I may be stuck with it. (As a "last resort," I'm trying the HDMI 4 input to see if that will result in any improvement over using HDMI 3; but I rather doubt it. I suppose I'll just live with the dropouts.) Again, thanks. Happy Holidays~
donottosmeok is offline  
post #19462 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
donottosmeok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
I have a setup like that; 103 connected to TV (Pioneer) via HDMI, audio from 103 is analog to my non-HDMI pre/pro. I have not experienced that issue.

I suspect like rdgrimes said it's likely the TV. Btw, I have CEC turned off.
Saturn94, thanks. Regretfully, I'm afraid I'll have to go along with you and rdgrimes--it's likely the TV. I don't think the Sony KDL-55W900A has any settings which allow the user to "disable" the HDMI ports. Ah, well...still, a fine TV (love the color and contrast). I guess I can live with this issue for now; the dropouts are fairly infrequent. Thanks and Happy Holidays~
donottosmeok is offline  
post #19463 of 19470 Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by donottosmeok View Post
Thanks for responding. The handshakes happen randomly when the TV is off. What OPPO explained to me today was, the player "sees" the TV connected by HDMI because the TV is "in standby mode" (the TV's HDMI ports are "always active"...something like that?). Apparently, that's the issue. From his description it sounds like I may be stuck with it. (As a "last resort," I'm trying the HDMI 4 input to see if that will result in any improvement over using HDMI 3; but I rather doubt it. I suppose I'll just live with the dropouts.) Again, thanks. Happy Holidays~
OK, well same advice: turn off HDMI CEC in all devices. Try switching the TV to another input before shutting it off.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #19464 of 19470 Old Today, 05:04 AM
Newbie
 
audiolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: A 3rd world backwater
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Total newbie here and not a 103 owner but I couldn't find a straight answer to my question.

Can the 103 be used with a 2.0/2.1 audio setup with an integrated amplifier/powered sub-woofer for movies and audio with good quality outcome?

Hopefully I can get it or make it for cheaper!
audiolan is offline  
post #19465 of 19470 Old Today, 07:57 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,064
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
^ Yes. If your integrated amp does not have HDMI Input, you can wire Analog audio for either 2.0 or 2.1 and the OPPO will do the down-mixing (if you play multi-channel content like a movie) and Crossover processing to steer bass from the front speakers to the Sub.

"Integrated amp" is normally used to describe a combo pre-amp and power amp in a single box -- i.e., with its own volume control. If that's not what you meant -- if you meant wiring the OPPO directly to a power amp with no volume control -- then there are some other concerns to consider.
--Bob
audiolan likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #19466 of 19470 Old Today, 10:30 AM
Newbie
 
audiolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: A 3rd world backwater
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Yes. If your integrated amp does not have HDMI Input, you can wire Analog audio for either 2.0 or 2.1 and the OPPO will do the down-mixing (if you play multi-channel content like a movie) and Crossover processing to steer bass from the front speakers to the Sub.

"Integrated amp" is normally used to describe a combo pre-amp and power amp in a single box -- i.e., with its own volume control. If that's not what you meant -- if you meant wiring the OPPO directly to a power amp with no volume control -- then there are some other concerns to consider.
--Bob
Thank you, that indeed does answer my question. Can you please comment on the quality of sound as well?

Hopefully I can get it or make it for cheaper!
audiolan is offline  
post #19467 of 19470 Old Today, 10:36 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,064
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Analog audio out of the 103/103D is very good. A step up from OPPO's prior generation players.

But for the best Analog audio from OPPO you would need to get the 105/105D. Their primary purpose is to provide a more exotic Analog audio output solution.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #19468 of 19470 Old Today, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
QuiGonJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Another quick question regarding Deep Color. What is the preferred setting or is it useful at all? I set it to 36 bits and my Denon 1712 receiver displayed 12 bit pixel depth in the information page, so I assume it works fine, more curious if others use this feature or not. Thanks.
QuiGonJosh is offline  
post #19469 of 19470 Old Today, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Another quick question regarding Deep Color. What is the preferred setting or is it useful at all? I set it to 36 bits and my Denon 1712 receiver displayed 12 bit pixel depth in the information page, so I assume it works fine, more curious if others use this feature or not. Thanks.
See this very informative post by Bob Pariseau about Deep Color.
QuiGonJosh and Smarty-pants like this.
Keenan is online now  
post #19470 of 19470 Old Today, 03:34 PM
Member
 
scannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: panama city beach,fl
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile new user

Just ordered the 103 today and I like the idea of the oppo improving video from the SA stp box I use with WOW. I have never touched the stb since install and maybe I can look forward to a better picture on the Sony r550a I use.

I chose the oppo over the Denon 1713ud because of this thread. Look forward to the experience. Now on to choosing a new avr (15 yr old Denon 3300 is retiring and working fine).

No matter how hard you try - you cannot polish a turd!
scannerman is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off