post #19501 of 19509 Old Today, 12:54 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Sweet. Sounds like the 103 was the right purchase. Although the 105 would have been better. Once I upgrade the Pre/Pro, I won't need the analog outputs so at that point the 105 would have been a waste.
Only iffy I have is if I should have bought the Darbee edition. Wasn't sure if the Darbee processing is just a gimmick or if it actually improves the image quality.
Although I can still cancel my order and upgrade to the Darbee model, is it worth the extra$$$???
Darbee: you won't know unless you try it. It is a subtle effect when used properly but even skeptical videophiles have been inclined to like it. See the first post in the 103D thread for links to reviews and articles.

Me: I like messing with it. I could live without it.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19502 of 19509 Old Today, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yeah, the reviews I read on it don't warrant me cancelling my order and going with the Darbee edition. Being I am upgrading my bluray duties from my Xbox One to the BDP103, I'm sure the video improvement will be plenty. And the audio improvement should be outstanding as well being I can now enjoy ALL the high res formats.
Thanks for the help gents.

60" Panasonic Plasma~BenQ HT1075 / 110" Silver Ticket Acousti-weave screen~Parasound Halo C2 Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier~Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center)
CAT Tiburons (surrounds)~Sub~ custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology~Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC~Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
post #19503 of 19509 Old Today, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Wasn't sure if the Darbee processing is just a gimmick or if it actually improves the image quality.
Doesn't improve image quality. What it does is "punch up" images that are already high quality.
post #19504 of 19509 Old Today, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Internet radio on 103?

Hi folks
I have been trying to sift through all the info on Oppo's website and from the firmware details here, but can someone clarify if the Oppo BDP-103 has something like vtuner to get internet radio as opposed to specific, mostly US based services like Pandora? I'm looking for a unit that will provide FLAC support via USB-A and DLNA, preferably wireless, and internet radio (only audio 2-ch setup). I am thinking a blu-ray player with these features which also has option for CD playback would be the best option. I was looking at the Sony S5200 but would prefer a more solid unit like the Oppo if it fits the bill. I'm having a hard time finding one piece of equipment that will do all of this.
Thanks
post #19505 of 19509 Old Today, 04:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
^ Internet radio apps are not included as part of the 103. Some folks use, e.g., the ROKU Streaming Stick (plugged into the front HDMI port of the 103) as a way to add additional apps. OPPO Digital sells an OEM version of that (without the ROKU remote control) which is controlled by the regular remote for the 103. You have to have Wifi networking available that the Stick can connect through.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #19506 of 19509 Old Today, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Internet radio apps are not included as part of the 103. Some folks use, e.g., the ROKU Streaming Stick (plugged into the front HDMI port of the 103) as a way to add additional apps. OPPO Digital sells an OEM version of that (without the ROKU remote control) which is controlled by the regular remote for the 103. You have to have Wifi networking available that the Stick can connect through.
--Bob
Thanks Bob. As for stereo sound quality, is the Oppo significantly better than a Sony or Panasonic if I connect to an amp via optical? I am assuming that bypasses the unit's DAC and uses the amp's DAC.
post #19507 of 19509 Old Today, 04:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
If I hook up the Dishtv receiver, which is set on 1080i to the OPPO via HDMI, and let it upconvert it to 1080p, ...
Does the DishTV STB only have a FIXED setting, so that everything it puts out is 1080i including 720p source programs? In other words, will 720p programs be upconverted by the Dish STB to faux-1080i for output because of this FIXED setting? Or is there a "native" setting on the Dish STB to feed 720p source as untouched 720p output to the 103, and 1080i source as untouched 1080i output to the 103? Ideally, this "native" setting is what you want to use... for best final resulting image quality on your display, and done automatically by the STB and with zero involvement by you in making that happen.

When feeding the external HDMI inputs of the 103 the best image quality results on your HDTV will come from feeding "native" from the source device (i.e. the Dish STB) to the 103, letting the 103 do all the cleanup and upconversion to 1080p from whatever "native" source (720p or 1080i) you feed it. You don't want to have the Dish STB doing its own upconversion first as well (e.g. for 720p to faux-1080i), and then also have the 103 upconvert from faux-1080i to 1080p for delivery to the display.

Yes, there are some consequences to using "native" resolutions out of the Dish STB, such as possible delays or brief black screens (due to HDMI handshakes when changing resolutions). And if no "native" is available, then you would need to manually change output resolution on the STB yourself. Sure, these are nuisances. But if best possible image quality on the display is your goal, your best setup is to feed 720p or 1080i to the 103 exactly as they are, untouched by the STB... accomplished either automatically if "native" is available, or manually if there is no "native" possible. Note that there will likely be none of these artifacts if you simply go to another channel or recorded program with the same resolution as whatever it is that you're currently watching. They only occur when changing resolutions.

It's up to you and your tastes and criteria to decide if you can see the output difference on your display when feeding true 720p source from the STB or when feeding STB-upconverted 720p->faux-1080i fed to the 103. You'll notice this difference most easily on ESPN and FOX sports high-speed events, so try it for yourself to see if it matters and if you can notice it. Then you can decide if the "inconvenience and nuisance" of "native source fed to the 103" (either automatically via "native" setting if available, or manually otherwise) is justified. Best results come from feeding 720p as 720p to the 103, and letting the 103 upconvert from 720p to 1080p.

Last edited by DSperber; Today at 04:57 PM.
post #19508 of 19509 Old Today, 05:43 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcars View Post
Thanks Bob. As for stereo sound quality, is the Oppo significantly better than a Sony or Panasonic if I connect to an amp via optical? I am assuming that bypasses the unit's DAC and uses the amp's DAC.
No, it should sound identical via optical, though you should use HDMI instead if at all possible because some types of audio (DTS HD Master Audio, Dolby True HD, DSD) can't be sent over optical due to a combination of bandwidth and licensing restrictions. Only the analog outputs use the player's DAC.
post #19509 of 19509 Old Today, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks for that explanation, it makes good sense. Dishtv has various settings to choose from as your output, such as 1080i (which I have it set at), 720p, 480p and 480i - there is no "native" setting. That means on stations such as ESPN, FOX, ABC and maybe a couple others, I would go in manually to change the setting from 1080i to 720P. Yes, it would be a pain but not too bad. As you say, if the goal is to get the best possible signal to the display this is what must be done. Equally important is to take the Yamaha A/V receiver out of the stream and place it in "Direct", rather than "Processing" video mode. This way, only the Oppo is manipulating the signals. I will try setting up the system that way and see how it goes. Thanks again for the tips.

shortspark
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc