Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 651 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Blu-ray Players

wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain
12:54 PM Liked: 391
post #19501 of 19529
12-26-2014 | Posts: 17,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Sweet. Sounds like the 103 was the right purchase. Although the 105 would have been better. Once I upgrade the Pre/Pro, I won't need the analog outputs so at that point the 105 would have been a waste.
Only iffy I have is if I should have bought the Darbee edition. Wasn't sure if the Darbee processing is just a gimmick or if it actually improves the image quality.
Although I can still cancel my order and upgrade to the Darbee model, is it worth the extra$$$???
Darbee: you won't know unless you try it. It is a subtle effect when used properly but even skeptical videophiles have been inclined to like it. See the first post in the 103D thread for links to reviews and articles.

Me: I like messing with it. I could live without it.

-Bill
Iron Maiden's Avatar Iron Maiden
01:14 PM Liked: 0
post #19502 of 19529
12-26-2014 | Posts: 15
Yeah, the reviews I read on it don't warrant me cancelling my order and going with the Darbee edition. Being I am upgrading my bluray duties from my Xbox One to the BDP103, I'm sure the video improvement will be plenty. And the audio improvement should be outstanding as well being I can now enjoy ALL the high res formats.
Thanks for the help gents.
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes
02:46 PM Liked: 268
post #19503 of 19529
12-26-2014 | Posts: 16,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Wasn't sure if the Darbee processing is just a gimmick or if it actually improves the image quality.
Doesn't improve image quality. What it does is "punch up" images that are already high quality.
Zcars's Avatar Zcars
03:59 PM Liked: 11
post #19504 of 19529
12-26-2014 | Posts: 60
Hi folks
I have been trying to sift through all the info on Oppo's website and from the firmware details here, but can someone clarify if the Oppo BDP-103 has something like vtuner to get internet radio as opposed to specific, mostly US based services like Pandora? I'm looking for a unit that will provide FLAC support via USB-A and DLNA, preferably wireless, and internet radio (only audio 2-ch setup). I am thinking a blu-ray player with these features which also has option for CD playback would be the best option. I was looking at the Sony S5200 but would prefer a more solid unit like the Oppo if it fits the bill. I'm having a hard time finding one piece of equipment that will do all of this.
Thanks
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau
04:24 PM Liked: 1040
post #19505 of 19529
12-26-2014 | Posts: 28,100
^ Internet radio apps are not included as part of the 103. Some folks use, e.g., the ROKU Streaming Stick (plugged into the front HDMI port of the 103) as a way to add additional apps. OPPO Digital sells an OEM version of that (without the ROKU remote control) which is controlled by the regular remote for the 103. You have to have Wifi networking available that the Stick can connect through.
--Bob
Zcars's Avatar Zcars
04:45 PM Liked: 11
post #19506 of 19529
12-26-2014 | Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Internet radio apps are not included as part of the 103. Some folks use, e.g., the ROKU Streaming Stick (plugged into the front HDMI port of the 103) as a way to add additional apps. OPPO Digital sells an OEM version of that (without the ROKU remote control) which is controlled by the regular remote for the 103. You have to have Wifi networking available that the Stick can connect through.
--Bob
Thanks Bob. As for stereo sound quality, is the Oppo significantly better than a Sony or Panasonic if I connect to an amp via optical? I am assuming that bypasses the unit's DAC and uses the amp's DAC.
DSperber's Avatar DSperber
04:53 PM Liked: 120
post #19507 of 19529
12-26-2014 | Posts: 5,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
If I hook up the Dishtv receiver, which is set on 1080i to the OPPO via HDMI, and let it upconvert it to 1080p, ...
Does the DishTV STB only have a FIXED setting, so that everything it puts out is 1080i including 720p source programs? In other words, will 720p programs be upconverted by the Dish STB to faux-1080i for output because of this FIXED setting? Or is there a "native" setting on the Dish STB to feed 720p source as untouched 720p output to the 103, and 1080i source as untouched 1080i output to the 103? Ideally, this "native" setting is what you want to use... for best final resulting image quality on your display, and done automatically by the STB and with zero involvement by you in making that happen.

When feeding the external HDMI inputs of the 103 the best image quality results on your HDTV will come from feeding "native" from the source device (i.e. the Dish STB) to the 103, letting the 103 do all the cleanup and upconversion to 1080p from whatever "native" source (720p or 1080i) you feed it. You don't want to have the Dish STB doing its own upconversion first as well (e.g. for 720p to faux-1080i), and then also have the 103 upconvert from faux-1080i to 1080p for delivery to the display.

Yes, there are some consequences to using "native" resolutions out of the Dish STB, such as possible delays or brief black screens (due to HDMI handshakes when changing resolutions). And if no "native" is available, then you would need to manually change output resolution on the STB yourself. Sure, these are nuisances. But if best possible image quality on the display is your goal, your best setup is to feed 720p or 1080i to the 103 exactly as they are, untouched by the STB... accomplished either automatically if "native" is available, or manually if there is no "native" possible. Note that there will likely be none of these artifacts if you simply go to another channel or recorded program with the same resolution as whatever it is that you're currently watching. They only occur when changing resolutions.

It's up to you and your tastes and criteria to decide if you can see the output difference on your display when feeding true 720p source from the STB or when feeding STB-upconverted 720p->faux-1080i fed to the 103. You'll notice this difference most easily on ESPN and FOX sports high-speed events, so try it for yourself to see if it matters and if you can notice it. Then you can decide if the "inconvenience and nuisance" of "native source fed to the 103" (either automatically via "native" setting if available, or manually otherwise) is justified. Best results come from feeding 720p as 720p to the 103, and letting the 103 upconvert from 720p to 1080p.
gsr's Avatar gsr
05:43 PM Liked: 236
post #19508 of 19529
12-26-2014 | Posts: 7,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcars View Post
Thanks Bob. As for stereo sound quality, is the Oppo significantly better than a Sony or Panasonic if I connect to an amp via optical? I am assuming that bypasses the unit's DAC and uses the amp's DAC.
No, it should sound identical via optical, though you should use HDMI instead if at all possible because some types of audio (DTS HD Master Audio, Dolby True HD, DSD) can't be sent over optical due to a combination of bandwidth and licensing restrictions. Only the analog outputs use the player's DAC.
milacqua's Avatar milacqua
05:45 PM Liked: 18
post #19509 of 19529
12-26-2014 | Posts: 601
Thanks for that explanation, it makes good sense. Dishtv has various settings to choose from as your output, such as 1080i (which I have it set at), 720p, 480p and 480i - there is no "native" setting. That means on stations such as ESPN, FOX, ABC and maybe a couple others, I would go in manually to change the setting from 1080i to 720P. Yes, it would be a pain but not too bad. As you say, if the goal is to get the best possible signal to the display this is what must be done. Equally important is to take the Yamaha A/V receiver out of the stream and place it in "Direct", rather than "Processing" video mode. This way, only the Oppo is manipulating the signals. I will try setting up the system that way and see how it goes. Thanks again for the tips.
JaremyP's Avatar JaremyP
07:31 PM Liked: 29
post #19510 of 19529
Yesterday | Posts: 481
If someone is using the jailbreak firmware with their Oppo and wouldn't mind chatting about it, can you please PM me? Thank you.
brianlvi3's Avatar brianlvi3
07:46 PM Liked: 10
post #19511 of 19529
Yesterday | Posts: 131
Hey guys,

I have the Oppo BDP 103 and just purchased the Marantz AV 7702. With my old Marantz AV 7005 I used the 5.1 analog for audio and HDMI for video. I have read so many pros and cons on which is best to use. I have hooked it up both ways with the 7005 and liked the analog. Now before I hook up the new Marantz 7702 with the Oppo, was just wondering if just running the HDMI and using it for audio and Video would sound as good. I think maybe the 7702 would do a better job then the old 7005?

My Outlaw Audio 7700 was hooked into my old 7005 using balanced cables. They were older cables from Outlaw Audio and are very thick and not very flexible. I was thinking about throwing in some Audioquest cables and not going back with the balanced ones?

Would love to here some thoughts on these 2 issues?

Thanks much.

Brian
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500
07:58 PM Liked: 222
post #19512 of 19529
Yesterday | Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlvi3 View Post
Hey guys,

I have the Oppo BDP 103 and just purchased the Marantz AV 7702. With my old Marantz AV 7005 I used the 5.1 analog for audio and HDMI for video. I have read so many pros and cons on which is best to use. I have hooked it up both ways with the 7005 and liked the analog. Now before I hook up the new Marantz 7702 with the Oppo, was just wondering if just running the HDMI and using it for audio and Video would sound as good. I think maybe the 7702 would do a better job then the old 7005?

My Outlaw Audio 7700 was hooked into my old 7005 using balanced cables. They were older cables from Outlaw Audio and are very thick and not very flexible. I was thinking about throwing in some Audioquest cables and not going back with the balanced ones?

Would love to here some thoughts on these 2 issues?

Thanks much.

Brian
If you're doing any digital signal processing in your Marantz (i.e. Audyssey), I would just use the hdmi out of the 103. I would not want my audio to get processed by two different DACs (one in each electronic device), in addition to an AD converter. If this is is the case, it is much simpler to leave the audio in the digital format leaving the 103 before getting converted to analog in your AVR. You've got a great pre/pro. Let it do the DSP and use the 103 as a digital transport to your pre/pro.
kellybob's Avatar kellybob
11:23 PM Liked: 16
post #19513 of 19529
Yesterday | Posts: 164
^ I would try them both. I imagine you are still going to prefer the analog connection. Especially if you change the cables to say the least expensive AudioQuests (Tower).

If the analog connection sounds better straight analog versus straight HDMI, the analog connection will still sound better even with the additional AD conversion with all else being equal, which it never is. The only way to find out is to try both.
kellybob's Avatar kellybob
11:39 PM Liked: 16
post #19514 of 19529
Yesterday | Posts: 164
I was thinking that you were going to replace the analog cables from the 103 to the AVR, not replace the cables from the AVR to the amp. I think you will prefer the analog connection still. Not sure what cables you have going from 103 to AVR, so cannot say the Audioquests will be an improvement. I have no idea about changing from balanced Outlaw cables to unbalanced Audioquest.
genegold's Avatar genegold
11:18 AM Liked: 13
post #19515 of 19529
Today | Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
What are 78s; is that from the 20s, 30s and 40s?
http://www.library.yale.edu/catalogi...ryof78rpms.htm. Some of my parents 78s from the 1930s were great performances.
AEB60's Avatar AEB60
11:25 AM Liked: 10
post #19516 of 19529
Today | Posts: 5
I want to reset the settings on my 103 but that option is greyed out in the menu. I'm sure there is a simple solution but I haven't been able to find it. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
11:27 AM Liked: 1040
post #19517 of 19529
Today | Posts: 28,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEB60 View Post
I want to reset the settings on my 103 but that option is greyed out in the menu. I'm sure there is a simple solution but I haven't been able to find it. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Various selections in the Setup menu get greyed out when the player is currently configured to play stuff.

Remove any disc in the tray and make sure you don't have media files or Internet apps playing, then the Reset selection will be available.
--Bob
brianlvi3's Avatar brianlvi3
11:39 AM Liked: 10
post #19518 of 19529
Today | Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybob View Post
I was thinking that you were going to replace the analog cables from the 103 to the AVR, not replace the cables from the AVR to the amp. I think you will prefer the analog connection still. Not sure what cables you have going from 103 to AVR, so cannot say the Audioquests will be an improvement. I have no idea about changing from balanced Outlaw cables to unbalanced Audioquest.
Thanks for the suggestions. It was just a real pain to hook up the older Outlaw Audio XLR cables. They are so thick and I have a hard time routing them, they seem to cram up in the back, hard to make a bend with them. I have heard/read there really is no difference so I am not sure about going to Audioquest middle of the line RCA cables?

I thought with the 7702 maybe it not make a difference or even be better to use the HDMI as audio for the 103.

Thanks.
Iron Maiden's Avatar Iron Maiden
11:54 AM Liked: 0
post #19519 of 19529
Today | Posts: 15
I've always known XLR(balanced) cables to give a lower noise floor. One reason most, if not all, higher end components have them. I've tried them on my Halo C2 to my Earthquake Cinenova Grande with MIT Shotgun cables. While the sound did change, for me it wasn't for the better.
My runs were very short and from what I've always been told is that the benefit of the balanced XLR is realized with long cable runs. Plus if you are mix matching the cable.... half xlr, half rca.... can't see how it will make a difference. If your runs are short and you need flexible cable, just go with the rca cables.
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar SeeMoreDigital
12:11 PM Liked: 80
post #19520 of 19529
Today | Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerman View Post
I am from the generation of 45s,78s, & 33 1/3 lps - quality audio has always mattered.
I reckon I've got a couple of 16 rpm records somewhere...
AEB60's Avatar AEB60
02:43 PM Liked: 10
post #19521 of 19529
Quote:
Various selections in the Setup menu get greyed out when the player is currently configured to play stuff.

Remove any disc in the tray and make sure you don't have media files or Internet apps playing, then the Reset selection will be available.
--Bob
Thank you for the quick reply. There isn't a disc in the tray, and I have never played any media files or used the internet apps. My grandkids were here for Christmas and there is no telling what buttons they pressed on the remote. Is there a way to check to see if any files or apps are playing.

AEB60's Avatar AEB60
02:49 PM Liked: 10
post #19522 of 19529
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEB60 View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. There isn't a disc in the tray, and I have never played any media files or used the internet apps. My grandkids were here for Christmas and there is no telling what buttons they pressed on the remote. Is there a way to check to see if any files or apps are playing.

I figured it out, no apps or files playing but Dish was. Thanks again.

NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky
03:04 PM Liked: 709
post #19523 of 19529
Today | Posts: 5,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by genegold View Post
http://www.library.yale.edu/catalogi...ryof78rpms.htm. Some of my parents 78s from the 1930s were great performances.
But the Oppo 103 doesn't read those.

Happy Holidays.
Mongo171's Avatar Mongo171
03:26 PM Liked: 769
post #19524 of 19529
Today | Posts: 2,075
But, but, I thought my OPPO could play any media!?!?
NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky
03:33 PM Liked: 709
post #19525 of 19529
Today | Posts: 5,746
It's just too many buts; the Oppo 103 is good, real good, just no way that it can play vinyls, no way Jose. ...Maybe the 113?
mental1's Avatar mental1
03:36 PM Liked: 14
post #19526 of 19529
Today | Posts: 56
Hey Folks,

I recently acquired a Chromecast. I have it plugged into the front HDMI port of my Oppo BD-103. It seems when I stream HBO Go, I only get Stereo on my Denon x4000 and not Dolby Digital from the Oppo. My audio format setting is set to Auto out of the HDMI port on the Oppo. Someone had posted this issue in October but I did not see any replies or advice. Does anyone else have a similar experience or perhaps can offer some guidance?

Thank you,

mental1
03:44 PM Liked: 1040
post #19527 of 19529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
But, but, I thought my OPPO could play any media!?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
It's just too many buts; the Oppo 103 is good, real good, just no way that it can play vinyls, no way Jose. ...Maybe the 113?
Grrr! Still waiting for player piano roll support. That's older than vinyl....
--Bob
03:48 PM Liked: 1040
post #19528 of 19529
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental1 View Post
Hey Folks,

I recently acquired a Chromecast. I have it plugged into the front HDMI port of my Oppo BD-103. It seems when I stream HBO Go, I only get Stereo on my Denon x4000 and not Dolby Digital from the Oppo. My audio format setting is set to Auto out of the HDMI port on the Oppo. Someone had posted this issue in October but I did not see any replies or advice. Does anyone else have a similar experience or perhaps can offer some guidance?

Thank you,

mental1
Info button on the OPPO will show you what is coming in on that socket. If it's 2.0 (stereo) you'll need to look for an audio output configuration setting on the ChromeCast.
--Bob
mental1's Avatar mental1
03:59 PM Liked: 14
post #19529 of 19529
Today | Posts: 56
Quote:
Info button on the OPPO will show you what is coming in on that socket. If it's 2.0 (stereo) you'll need to look for an audio output configuration setting on the ChromeCast.
--Bob
Thanks Bob. It's showing coming in as LPCM 2.0 48k. That seems to be the culprit. I will do some digging on HBO Go. Might be I'm stuck with it. Thanks again.
Tags: Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread