Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 652 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 650  651  652 653  654  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
PravinE's Avatar PravinE 10:16 AM 12-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar Srinivasan View Post
Experts pls help!!!

I own a 103D and a Denon 1909 with a 42 inch full HD 3D with Polk Audio RM6750 speaker package. I have recently upgraded to 103D

Im planning to upgrade 7.1 from polk 5.1 I am planning to have couple of active speakers for front and move all satellite speakers to rear to make it 7.1. (using the same centre and sub woofer as it is)

Since its Denon 1909 it doesnt have pre out for 7.1 so my question is can I use oppo RCA (L+R) For front and drive Denon (HDMI Audio from Oppo to Denon) for back speakers. Got an answer from Oppo support that theatrically it should work but there might be some delay with Amp which need to be sorted out.

My question is

1) Does anyone tried this option (particularly with 103D) did it work without any issue
2) Any advice in terms of how to resolve the Audio delay (with Oppo and Denon producing front and back speakers respectively) in case if such arise.

I haven't bought the active speakers yet but would like to go with them for more power.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.
Quote:
Since its Denon 1909 it doesnt have pre out for 7.1 so my question is can I use oppo RCA (L+R) For front and drive Denon (HDMI Audio from Oppo to Denon) for back speakers. Got an answer from Oppo support that theatrically it should work but there might be some delay with Amp which need to be sorted out.
Controlling volume will be more challenging part.

Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 11:11 AM 12-29-2014
I would not recommend futzing with a configuration like this. As stated, keeping Volume in balance is going to be a constant nuisance, and odds are the Denon will try to add audio delay to the audio going through it (to compensate for its video processing time).
--Bob
Zcars's Avatar Zcars 11:25 AM 12-29-2014
Well, I have a BDP-103 on order from Amazon. I will use it as the media source in my 2-ch music setup as it gives me the wifi and USB to access my mp3 and FLAC files from a HDD. The optical drive for CDs or maybe SACDs is another bonus. I really don't need the internet radio after all, as I can just stream Slacker or web radio stations via bluetooth from my tablet or phone. It will be connected to my old Denon stereo receiver but I will likely replace that with a new integrated later, perhaps the Marantz PM6005. I prefer to keep the preamp part separate and have a decent separate amp, rather than go the AVR route as an all-in-one, so I can upgrade the pre as technology changes or components break. I hesitated getting a very good blu-ray player for this limited purpose, but looking at what I got for the money it made sense. A Marantz CD player with a USB port but no wifi would cost more and provide me with less. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Oppo!
ozziegn's Avatar ozziegn 11:34 AM 12-29-2014
New 103 owner and I have a simple question.

I have a 4K Samsung TV that upscales everything to 4K resolution. I've been told to let the 103 do all the video processing which supposedly it does it well. The problem I'm seeing in the image quality looks far worse with plumbing my Directv through my 103 than before with me running the DTV straight from the STB then to my Onkyo AV then to my TV.

What am I doing wrong?
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar AlexanderDelarg 11:57 AM 12-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziegn View Post

I have a 4K Samsung TV that upscales everything to 4K resolution. I've been told to let the 103 do all the video processing which supposedly it does it well. The problem I'm seeing in the image quality looks far worse with plumbing my Directv through my 103 than before with me running the DTV straight from the STB then to my Onkyo AV then to my TV.

What am I doing wrong?
I have DirecTv and an Oppo 103 and go into DirecTv menu and settings as follows -

select settings - Display - Video - Native - On
ozziegn's Avatar ozziegn 12:16 PM 12-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
I have DirecTv and an Oppo 103 and go into DirecTv menu and settings as follows -

select settings - Display - Video - Native - On
Can I assume your PQ looks good?
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 12:55 PM 12-29-2014
Quote:

What am I doing wrong?
While viewing the DirecTV through the OPPO, press Info on the OPPO remote. The upper line of the on-screen display will show what's coming in from the DirecTV. The lower line will show what's going out to your display. Check that these match your expectations.

I recommend you set the DirecTV to output YCbCr 4:4:4 to the OPPO at "native" resolution -- i.e., so that the DirecTV outputs the same resolution as happens to be coming into in on whatever channel you are watching. This leaves the video processing to the OPPO.

Be sure you check your video calibration (settings in the TV) with the aid of a calibration disc such as "Spears & Munsil v2" available from OPPO. Keep in mind that the video settings in most modern TVs are remembered "per input" so the settings in the TV for HDMI from the OPPO may not match what you were using for direct connection from the DirecTV box.
--Bob
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar AlexanderDelarg 01:13 PM 12-29-2014
Quote:
Can I assume your PQ looks good?
My PQ is remarkable.
Sridhar Srinivasan 01:32 PM 12-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
I would not recommend futzing with a configuration like this. As stated, keeping Volume in balance is going to be a constant nuisance, and odds are the Denon will try to add audio delay to the audio going through it (to compensate for its video processing time).
--Bob
Ok Thanks Bob. So if i upgrade my receiver with preout support then ill use Receiver for all channels using preouts for front and other satellites powered from Receiver for Rear then it should be ok is it. This should be the possible recommendation.
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 02:40 PM 12-29-2014
Quote:

What am I doing wrong?
Don't set the Oppo to scale to 4K, set it to 1080p and see if that changes anything. Many 4K TVs cannot handle 4K input nearly as well as they do 1080p.
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar SeeMoreDigital 03:01 PM 12-29-2014
Quote:
I've been told to let the 103 do all the video processing which supposedly it does it well. The problem I'm seeing in the image quality looks far worse with plumbing my Directv through my 103 than before with me running the DTV straight from the STB then to my Onkyo AV then to my TV.

What am I doing wrong?
You may not be doing anything wrong at all. I'm currently using a Panasonic 4K TV and I can confirm it does a better job at up-scaling any source to 4K than either my Oppo BDP-103 or my Onkyo TX-NR609
jilm's Avatar jilm 03:30 PM 12-29-2014
hi.

From my Oppo 103D i am streaming music files from my NAS. i have 2 choices:

Oppo streaming from NAS. use the Oppo DAC and go analog to emotiva UMC 1
Oppo streaming from NAS. use Oppo as streamer controller, go via HDMI to emotiva and use emotiva DAC to decode music.

Which one is the best solution?

Thanks
ozziegn's Avatar ozziegn 07:18 PM 12-29-2014
I just tried the Netflix app on my 103 and I don't have the 4K streaming option like I can on my 4K Samsung TV with the built-in Netflix app. what's up with that? please don't tell me the 103's Netflix app doesn't support 4K streaming. if so, that's gonna bumb me out seeing since I'm feeding the 103's audio output to my Onkyo AV receiver.
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 09:20 PM 12-29-2014
Quote:
I just tried the Netflix app on my 103 and I don't have the 4K streaming option like I can on my 4K Samsung TV with the built-in Netflix app. what's up with that? please don't tell me the 103's Netflix app doesn't support 4K streaming. if so, that's gonna bumb me out seeing since I'm feeding the 103's audio output to my Onkyo AV receiver.

The Oppo app doesn't support 4K streaming, and never will. Hardware has to support the new codecs.
turboman123's Avatar turboman123 02:40 AM 12-30-2014
Hello

I have a Samsung 55F8000 panel, and I use a STB plugged into the BDP-103 HDMI back. Split A/V out with video from the Oppo going straight to the Samsung. I live presently in Europe, so I have set the Oppo to TV Multi Sync.

I am not quite satisfied with the motion smoothness of the Samsung. Using the moving bar patterns on the GCD disk, I have now optimized the Samsung. Motion smoothness is OK for 24fps, but there is some stuttering left at 50fps. That should be OK for Blurays at 1080p24.
I wonder now what settings I should use on the Oppo for STB operation. The STB puts out 1080p@50Hz . I was thinking if I select 1080p24 Forced on the Oppo, the Oppo would convert the STB signal to 24p which is best for motion smoothness on the Samsung. However, if I do that, the info from the Oppo still says that HDMI1 is 1080p50Hz 4:4:4 24b. So it does not convert to 24p, even with 1080p24 set to Forced? (Also, what does 24b mean?).
What setting is best for STB operation?
(And another question, for operation with my Samsung 55F8000, which color space to choose: 4:4:4 or 4:2:2?).
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 05:28 AM 12-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post
Hello

I have a Samsung 55F8000 panel, and I use a STB plugged into the BDP-103 HDMI back. Split A/V out with video from the Oppo going straight to the Samsung. I live presently in Europe, so I have set the Oppo to TV Multi Sync.

I am not quite satisfied with the motion smoothness of the Samsung. Using the moving bar patterns on the GCD disk, I have now optimized the Samsung. Motion smoothness is OK for 24fps, but there is some stuttering left at 50fps. That should be OK for Blurays at 1080p24.
I wonder now what settings I should use on the Oppo for STB operation. The STB puts out 1080p@50Hz . I was thinking if I select 1080p24 Forced on the Oppo, the Oppo would convert the STB signal to 24p which is best for motion smoothness on the Samsung. However, if I do that, the info from the Oppo still says that HDMI1 is 1080p50Hz 4:4:4 24b. So it does not convert to 24p, even with 1080p24 set to Forced? (Also, what does 24b mean?).
What setting is best for STB operation?
(And another question, for operation with my Samsung 55F8000, which color space to choose: 4:4:4 or 4:2:2?).
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
There is no forced conversion to 24hz. In the case of NTSC DVD which is 480i60, the 24hz cadence can sometimes be recovered with inverse pulldown, but there is no pulldown in a 50hz signal from which to recover 24hz video.

For 23.976/24.0 sources like most film-based Blu-rays, the 1080p24 Output setting allows the original frame to be transmitted (when set to On) or converted (when set to Off) to 60 or 50hz, depending on how you have TV System set.

Color space: in theory it shouldn't matter, but in practice not all displays handle all color spaces correctly, which is why OPPO gives you a choice. It may depend not just on the model of your display, but on its firmware level and other settings.

Spears & Munsil have an article on choosing a color space using the patterns on their test disc. If you want to get into it it's something you have to check yourself.

I have older Samsung display and use RGB Video. I haven't revisited the issue for years but at one time it had some flakiness in its Setup making YCbCr color spaces unreliable.

-Bill
buddywhite's Avatar buddywhite 07:53 AM 12-30-2014
Hi. Two questions.

I have HDMI 1 connected to my Onkyo TXNR708 and HDMI 2 connected to my TV.
HDMI out on 708 goes to my projector.

When I just want to listen to BD audio from 103D I can't get any HD sound with the TV on, but when I turn it off everything is fine. Is there something in the settings I'm missing? I had a HDMI split before but it doesn't work 3D so I disconnected it.

Gapless playback, It works fine with 24/96 but stops after a few songs with 24/192.

I'm sure this have been answered before so thanks in advance. But I didn't find anything when searching
gsr's Avatar gsr 08:22 AM 12-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywhite View Post

When I just want to listen to BD audio from 103D I can't get any HD sound with the TV on, but when I turn it off everything is fine. Is there something in the settings I'm missing? I had a HDMI split before but it doesn't work 3D so I disconnected it.
You've got it hooked up backwards. When using both HDMI outputs, HDMI1 should go to the display and HDMI2 to the AVR. But why are you using both HDMI outputs? The reasons to do so are having a 3D display but an AVR that can't pass 3D, having a 4K display but an AVR that can't pass 4K, or if you have some specific issue that requires it (such as an AVR that mangles video on the way through). In most other cases, it's preferable to just use 1 HDMI output to the AVR and then the AVR's HDMI output to the display.

Quote:
Gapless playback, It works fine with 24/96 but stops after a few songs with 24/192.

I'm sure this have been answered before so thanks in advance. But I didn't find anything when searching
Gapless playback is still a work in progress, but if you send your feedback to Oppo, they may be able to give you an answer. They might also request some sample files so they can replicate the issue in-house and attempt to fix it.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 08:28 AM 12-30-2014
Quote:
Hi. Two questions.

#1 is normal for this wiring if you have Split A/V set. When both HDMI outputs are "live" audio is muted on HDMI 1. Your comment about 3D is probably why you have it wired this way, so let's sort that out.

The "normal" wiring here would be HDMI 1 to the projector (for video only, including 3D), HDMI 2 to the Onkyo (for audio and video; not including 3D), and HDMI from the Onkyo to your TV. Set Splt A/V. With the projector turned OFF (and assuming it is configured to shut down its HDMI inputs while shut off), only the HDMI 2 output will be live and so the Onkyo will see best quality video (not including 3D) and audio with video passed on to your TV. With the projector on, you'll have both outputs live and the projector will get best quality video (including 3D) and no audio. The Onkyo will get best quality audio and a "safe" video signal to carry that audio, which it can pass on to the TV if you wish. Now, when wired this way, what isn't working for you?

For #2 , the most likely reason is that something is funky in the way your 192/24 files have been made. Typically this can be fixed by passing them through a newer version of whatever tool you used to make them. I'm assuming you mean playback stops altogether. If that's not the case then you'll need to give more detail.
--Bob
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar SeeMoreDigital 08:29 AM 12-30-2014
Quote:
2. Gapless playback, It works fine with 24/96 but stops after a few songs with 24/192.
It would help if you could confirm: Which Oppo firmware version you have installed. Which audio format your 96/24 files have been encoded with. And how are you accessing your files?
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 08:33 AM 12-30-2014
Quote:
The 10x players don't play *ANY* 4K content -- from any source. They up-scale lower resolution content (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) to 4K output.

On top of that, at the moment Netflix is only delivering 4K-capable apps to TV makers. This means they don't have to deal with how to get 4K from something else (e.g., a player) into the TV over HDMI.

If your Samsung supports HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC) you can use that to pass audio from the Samsung back into the OPPO (on the HDMI cable that normally carries video from the OPPO to the Samsung), and then the OPPO can continue to be used to feed audio to your Onkyo when playing 4K Netflix on the Samsung.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 08:36 AM 12-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilm View Post
hi.

From my Oppo 103D i am streaming music files from my NAS. i have 2 choices:

Oppo streaming from NAS. use the Oppo DAC and go analog to emotiva UMC 1
Oppo streaming from NAS. use Oppo as streamer controller, go via HDMI to emotiva and use emotiva DAC to decode music.

Which one is the best solution?

Thanks
Typically a 103 owner would use HDMI for audio. The Emotiva has a reputation for HDMI issues, so you may need to try it and see if you are OK with the results.
--Bob
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 09:01 AM 12-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The Oppo app doesn't support 4K streaming, and never will. Hardware has to support the new codecs.
Quote:
The 10x players don't play *ANY* 4K content -- from any source.
--Bob
He asked you not to tell him that.

-Bill
ozziegn's Avatar ozziegn 10:30 AM 12-30-2014
Quote:

If your Samsung supports HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC) you can use that to pass audio from the Samsung back into the OPPO (on the HDMI cable that normally carries video from the OPPO to the Samsung), and then the OPPO can continue to be used to feed audio to your Onkyo when playing 4K Netflix on the Samsung.
--Bob
Yes, my Samsung supports ARC so in theory your idea should work.
el_Fernando's Avatar el_Fernando 10:36 AM 12-30-2014
Anyone using PLEX on their Oppo? My current Sony Bdp-s590 looks like crap. It is also a bit slow on the loading times. I mostly use it for Netflix, PLEX and an occasional BR disc.
lexatola 11:52 AM 12-30-2014
Hi all,

Just purchased the 103 and love it so far. I'm going not to re-archive my CD collection. I'm using iTunes just to stay in the ecosystem but can't find a way to have the 103 show album art. Gracenote on the 103 comes back saying it can't find the album. Anyone have luck getting album art to display using ALAC or AIFF?

Any advice would be helpful so I can make the right moves before I start re-ripping.

Thanks,

Alex
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 11:58 AM 12-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
He asked you not to tell him that.

-Bill
Hmm, must have been posted by my evil twin brother, Skippy.
--Bob
Iron Maiden's Avatar Iron Maiden 12:44 PM 12-30-2014
Here are my few questions on how to properly setup the 103.

1) I am running a Panasonic 1080p 3d Plasma and a BenQ HT1075 1080p 3d projector.
I use the 7.1 analog preouts for my audio into my Parasound Halo C2 pre/pro. So HDMI Audio is turned off. I set the HDMI setting to "Dual Display". At this point, the Plasma is hooked to HDMI#1 and the projector to HDMI#2. For 3D, I will only use the projector. Should I reverse the HDMI's and have the projector hooked to HDMI#1? Or will both HDMI outputs on the 103 output the same quality video? The manual kind of implies that HDMI#1 has better video quality.

2) Output resolution setting. Auto or 1080p 24hz? Being both my displays are 1080p, should I set it to 1080p24?

3) I connected the 103 to my network with an Ethernet cable so it is hardwired rather than using the wifi dongle. Is there any way to access my iTunes through the Oppo? Is this a matter of a setting on my laptop to share my iTunes on my network? All my music in my iTunes was ripped in lossless from my personal cds. Hoping the 103 will be able to access my iTunes.

4) If in fact I can access my iTunes with the Oppo, and for when I toss in a regular CD into the player, I want to output the music to an outboard Dac. A Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube Dac.
Most likely use the digital coax output on the 103 to the Dac. Should the output setting on the 103 be set to "bitstream"???

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I will have more, like color space and other tweak settings on the 103, but for now I just want to enjoy it.
And btw, used the Netflix app on the 103 last night. For the first time ever, Netflix looked good! Watched Star Trek Into the Darkness on my projector. It was damn near BluRay quality. Netflix has never looked good on my smart tv app, or from the Xbox One app. Picture quality always sucked on those. On the Oppo, outstanding!
buddywhite's Avatar buddywhite 12:53 PM 12-30-2014
Quote:
#1 is normal for this wiring if you have Split A/V set. When both HDMI outputs are "live" audio is muted on HDMI 1. Your comment about 3D is probably why you have it wired this way, so let's sort that out.

The "normal" wiring here would be HDMI 1 to the projector (for video only, including 3D), HDMI 2 to the Onkyo (for audio and video; not including 3D), and HDMI from the Onkyo to your TV. Set Splt A/V. With the projector turned OFF (and assuming it is configured to shut down its HDMI inputs while shut off), only the HDMI 2 output will be live and so the Onkyo will see best quality video (not including 3D) and audio with video passed on to your TV. With the projector on, you'll have both outputs live and the projector will get best quality video (including 3D) and no audio. The Onkyo will get best quality audio and a "safe" video signal to carry that audio, which it can pass on to the TV if you wish. Now, when wired this way, what isn't working for you?

For #2 , the most likely reason is that something is funky in the way your 192/24 files have been made. Typically this can be fixed by passing them through a newer version of whatever tool you used to make them. I'm assuming you mean playback stops altogether. If that's not the case then you'll need to give more detail.
--Bob

I'm going to try it that way instead. Thanks for the lenghty explaining.

Flac 24/192 and it just stops, like pushing paus. I'm gonna see if I have some other 24/192 files to play
The files are downloaded from brucespringsteen.net and I haven't done anything with them. They play just fine as is but since it is a live show the gapless play comes in to mind.

The firmware is the latest official
Jed1's Avatar Jed1 01:28 PM 12-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexatola View Post
Hi all,

Just purchased the 103 and love it so far. I'm going not to re-archive my CD collection. I'm using iTunes just to stay in the ecosystem but can't find a way to have the 103 show album art. Gracenote on the 103 comes back saying it can't find the album. Anyone have luck getting album art to display using ALAC or AIFF?

Any advice would be helpful so I can make the right moves before I start re-ripping.

Thanks,

Alex

I forgot all about this but Sony sold Gracenote to Tribune and they merged it with Tribune Media Services. They started to integrate the two companies in the summer. I don't know what arrangement OPPO had with Sony, and if and when that arraignment will end.
http://www.gracenote.com/
Tags: Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc
First ... 650  651  652 653  654  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop