Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 652 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2014, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
I have DirecTv and an Oppo 103 and go into DirecTv menu and settings as follows -

select settings - Display - Video - Native - On
Can I assume your PQ looks good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziegn View Post
New 103 owner and I have a simple question.

I have a 4K Samsung TV that upscales everything to 4K resolution. I've been told to let the 103 do all the video processing which supposedly it does it well. The problem I'm seeing in the image quality looks far worse with plumbing my Directv through my 103 than before with me running the DTV straight from the STB then to my Onkyo AV then to my TV.

What am I doing wrong?
While viewing the DirecTV through the OPPO, press Info on the OPPO remote. The upper line of the on-screen display will show what's coming in from the DirecTV. The lower line will show what's going out to your display. Check that these match your expectations.

I recommend you set the DirecTV to output YCbCr 4:4:4 to the OPPO at "native" resolution -- i.e., so that the DirecTV outputs the same resolution as happens to be coming into in on whatever channel you are watching. This leaves the video processing to the OPPO.

Be sure you check your video calibration (settings in the TV) with the aid of a calibration disc such as "Spears & Munsil v2" available from OPPO. Keep in mind that the video settings in most modern TVs are remembered "per input" so the settings in the TV for HDMI from the OPPO may not match what you were using for direct connection from the DirecTV box.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 12-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Can I assume your PQ looks good?
My PQ is remarkable.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
Old 12-29-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
I would not recommend futzing with a configuration like this. As stated, keeping Volume in balance is going to be a constant nuisance, and odds are the Denon will try to add audio delay to the audio going through it (to compensate for its video processing time).
--Bob
Ok Thanks Bob. So if i upgrade my receiver with preout support then ill use Receiver for all channels using preouts for front and other satellites powered from Receiver for Rear then it should be ok is it. This should be the possible recommendation.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
New 103 owner and I have a simple question.

I have a 4K Samsung TV that upscales everything to 4K resolution. I've been told to let the 103 do all the video processing which supposedly it does it well. The problem I'm seeing in the image quality looks far worse with plumbing my Directv through my 103 than before with me running the DTV straight from the STB then to my Onkyo AV then to my TV.

What am I doing wrong?
Don't set the Oppo to scale to 4K, set it to 1080p and see if that changes anything. Many 4K TVs cannot handle 4K input nearly as well as they do 1080p.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
I've been told to let the 103 do all the video processing which supposedly it does it well. The problem I'm seeing in the image quality looks far worse with plumbing my Directv through my 103 than before with me running the DTV straight from the STB then to my Onkyo AV then to my TV.

What am I doing wrong?
You may not be doing anything wrong at all. I'm currently using a Panasonic 4K TV and I can confirm it does a better job at up-scaling any source to 4K than either my Oppo BDP-103 or my Onkyo TX-NR609

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 12-29-2014, 02:30 PM

Liked: 10
Oppo DAC or Emotiva DAC

hi.

From my Oppo 103D i am streaming music files from my NAS. i have 2 choices:

Oppo streaming from NAS. use the Oppo DAC and go analog to emotiva UMC 1
Oppo streaming from NAS. use Oppo as streamer controller, go via HDMI to emotiva and use emotiva DAC to decode music.

Which one is the best solution?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2014, 06:18 PM

I just tried the Netflix app on my 103 and I don't have the 4K streaming option like I can on my 4K Samsung TV with the built-in Netflix app. what's up with that? please don't tell me the 103's Netflix app doesn't support 4K streaming. if so, that's gonna bumb me out seeing since I'm feeding the 103's audio output to my Onkyo AV receiver.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
I just tried the Netflix app on my 103 and I don't have the 4K streaming option like I can on my 4K Samsung TV with the built-in Netflix app. what's up with that? please don't tell me the 103's Netflix app doesn't support 4K streaming. if so, that's gonna bumb me out seeing since I'm feeding the 103's audio output to my Onkyo AV receiver.

The Oppo app doesn't support 4K streaming, and never will. Hardware has to support the new codecs.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Best setting for motion smoothness

Hello

I have a Samsung 55F8000 panel, and I use a STB plugged into the BDP-103 HDMI back. Split A/V out with video from the Oppo going straight to the Samsung. I live presently in Europe, so I have set the Oppo to TV Multi Sync.

I am not quite satisfied with the motion smoothness of the Samsung. Using the moving bar patterns on the GCD disk, I have now optimized the Samsung. Motion smoothness is OK for 24fps, but there is some stuttering left at 50fps. That should be OK for Blurays at 1080p24.
I wonder now what settings I should use on the Oppo for STB operation. The STB puts out 1080p@50Hz . I was thinking if I select 1080p24 Forced on the Oppo, the Oppo would convert the STB signal to 24p which is best for motion smoothness on the Samsung. However, if I do that, the info from the Oppo still says that HDMI1 is 1080p50Hz 4:4:4 24b. So it does not convert to 24p, even with 1080p24 set to Forced? (Also, what does 24b mean?).
What setting is best for STB operation?
(And another question, for operation with my Samsung 55F8000, which color space to choose: 4:4:4 or 4:2:2?).
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post
Hello

I have a Samsung 55F8000 panel, and I use a STB plugged into the BDP-103 HDMI back. Split A/V out with video from the Oppo going straight to the Samsung. I live presently in Europe, so I have set the Oppo to TV Multi Sync.

I am not quite satisfied with the motion smoothness of the Samsung. Using the moving bar patterns on the GCD disk, I have now optimized the Samsung. Motion smoothness is OK for 24fps, but there is some stuttering left at 50fps. That should be OK for Blurays at 1080p24.
I wonder now what settings I should use on the Oppo for STB operation. The STB puts out 1080p@50Hz . I was thinking if I select 1080p24 Forced on the Oppo, the Oppo would convert the STB signal to 24p which is best for motion smoothness on the Samsung. However, if I do that, the info from the Oppo still says that HDMI1 is 1080p50Hz 4:4:4 24b. So it does not convert to 24p, even with 1080p24 set to Forced? (Also, what does 24b mean?).
What setting is best for STB operation?
(And another question, for operation with my Samsung 55F8000, which color space to choose: 4:4:4 or 4:2:2?).
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
There is no forced conversion to 24hz. In the case of NTSC DVD which is 480i60, the 24hz cadence can sometimes be recovered with inverse pulldown, but there is no pulldown in a 50hz signal from which to recover 24hz video.

For 23.976/24.0 sources like most film-based Blu-rays, the 1080p24 Output setting allows the original frame to be transmitted (when set to On) or converted (when set to Off) to 60 or 50hz, depending on how you have TV System set.

Color space: in theory it shouldn't matter, but in practice not all displays handle all color spaces correctly, which is why OPPO gives you a choice. It may depend not just on the model of your display, but on its firmware level and other settings.

Spears & Munsil have an article on choosing a color space using the patterns on their test disc. If you want to get into it it's something you have to check yourself.

I have older Samsung display and use RGB Video. I haven't revisited the issue for years but at one time it had some flakiness in its Setup making YCbCr color spaces unreliable.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 12-30-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hi. Two questions.

I have HDMI 1 connected to my Onkyo TXNR708 and HDMI 2 connected to my TV.
HDMI out on 708 goes to my projector.

When I just want to listen to BD audio from 103D I can't get any HD sound with the TV on, but when I turn it off everything is fine. Is there something in the settings I'm missing? I had a HDMI split before but it doesn't work 3D so I disconnected it.

Gapless playback, It works fine with 24/96 but stops after a few songs with 24/192.

I'm sure this have been answered before so thanks in advance. But I didn't find anything when searching
Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywhite View Post

When I just want to listen to BD audio from 103D I can't get any HD sound with the TV on, but when I turn it off everything is fine. Is there something in the settings I'm missing? I had a HDMI split before but it doesn't work 3D so I disconnected it.
You've got it hooked up backwards. When using both HDMI outputs, HDMI1 should go to the display and HDMI2 to the AVR. But why are you using both HDMI outputs? The reasons to do so are having a 3D display but an AVR that can't pass 3D, having a 4K display but an AVR that can't pass 4K, or if you have some specific issue that requires it (such as an AVR that mangles video on the way through). In most other cases, it's preferable to just use 1 HDMI output to the AVR and then the AVR's HDMI output to the display.

Quote:
Gapless playback, It works fine with 24/96 but stops after a few songs with 24/192.

I'm sure this have been answered before so thanks in advance. But I didn't find anything when searching
Gapless playback is still a work in progress, but if you send your feedback to Oppo, they may be able to give you an answer. They might also request some sample files so they can replicate the issue in-house and attempt to fix it.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Hi. Two questions.

#1 is normal for this wiring if you have Split A/V set. When both HDMI outputs are "live" audio is muted on HDMI 1. Your comment about 3D is probably why you have it wired this way, so let's sort that out.

The "normal" wiring here would be HDMI 1 to the projector (for video only, including 3D), HDMI 2 to the Onkyo (for audio and video; not including 3D), and HDMI from the Onkyo to your TV. Set Splt A/V. With the projector turned OFF (and assuming it is configured to shut down its HDMI inputs while shut off), only the HDMI 2 output will be live and so the Onkyo will see best quality video (not including 3D) and audio with video passed on to your TV. With the projector on, you'll have both outputs live and the projector will get best quality video (including 3D) and no audio. The Onkyo will get best quality audio and a "safe" video signal to carry that audio, which it can pass on to the TV if you wish. Now, when wired this way, what isn't working for you?

For #2 , the most likely reason is that something is funky in the way your 192/24 files have been made. Typically this can be fixed by passing them through a newer version of whatever tool you used to make them. I'm assuming you mean playback stops altogether. If that's not the case then you'll need to give more detail.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
2. Gapless playback, It works fine with 24/96 but stops after a few songs with 24/192.
It would help if you could confirm: Which Oppo firmware version you have installed. Which audio format your 96/24 files have been encoded with. And how are you accessing your files?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 12-30-2014, 07:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
The 10x players don't play *ANY* 4K content -- from any source. They up-scale lower resolution content (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) to 4K output.

On top of that, at the moment Netflix is only delivering 4K-capable apps to TV makers. This means they don't have to deal with how to get 4K from something else (e.g., a player) into the TV over HDMI.

If your Samsung supports HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC) you can use that to pass audio from the Samsung back into the OPPO (on the HDMI cable that normally carries video from the OPPO to the Samsung), and then the OPPO can continue to be used to feed audio to your Onkyo when playing 4K Netflix on the Samsung.
--Bob

Old 12-30-2014, 07:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilm View Post
hi.

From my Oppo 103D i am streaming music files from my NAS. i have 2 choices:

Oppo streaming from NAS. use the Oppo DAC and go analog to emotiva UMC 1
Oppo streaming from NAS. use Oppo as streamer controller, go via HDMI to emotiva and use emotiva DAC to decode music.

Which one is the best solution?

Thanks
Typically a 103 owner would use HDMI for audio. The Emotiva has a reputation for HDMI issues, so you may need to try it and see if you are OK with the results.
--Bob

Old 12-30-2014, 08:01 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The Oppo app doesn't support 4K streaming, and never will. Hardware has to support the new codecs.
Quote:
The 10x players don't play *ANY* 4K content -- from any source.
--Bob
He asked you not to tell him that.

-Bill
Smarty-pants likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 12-30-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:

If your Samsung supports HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC) you can use that to pass audio from the Samsung back into the OPPO (on the HDMI cable that normally carries video from the OPPO to the Samsung), and then the OPPO can continue to be used to feed audio to your Onkyo when playing 4K Netflix on the Samsung.
--Bob
Yes, my Samsung supports ARC so in theory your idea should work.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anyone using PLEX on their Oppo? My current Sony Bdp-s590 looks like crap. It is also a bit slow on the loading times. I mostly use it for Netflix, PLEX and an occasional BR disc.

########################################
Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 AM

Liked: 0
Album art with itunes files

Hi all,

Just purchased the 103 and love it so far. I'm going not to re-archive my CD collection. I'm using iTunes just to stay in the ecosystem but can't find a way to have the 103 show album art. Gracenote on the 103 comes back saying it can't find the album. Anyone have luck getting album art to display using ALAC or AIFF?

Any advice would be helpful so I can make the right moves before I start re-ripping.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 12-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
He asked you not to tell him that.

-Bill
Hmm, must have been posted by my evil twin brother, Skippy.
--Bob

Old 12-30-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Here are my few questions on how to properly setup the 103.

1) I am running a Panasonic 1080p 3d Plasma and a BenQ HT1075 1080p 3d projector.
I use the 7.1 analog preouts for my audio into my Parasound Halo C2 pre/pro. So HDMI Audio is turned off. I set the HDMI setting to "Dual Display". At this point, the Plasma is hooked to HDMI#1 and the projector to HDMI#2. For 3D, I will only use the projector. Should I reverse the HDMI's and have the projector hooked to HDMI#1? Or will both HDMI outputs on the 103 output the same quality video? The manual kind of implies that HDMI#1 has better video quality.

2) Output resolution setting. Auto or 1080p 24hz? Being both my displays are 1080p, should I set it to 1080p24?

3) I connected the 103 to my network with an Ethernet cable so it is hardwired rather than using the wifi dongle. Is there any way to access my iTunes through the Oppo? Is this a matter of a setting on my laptop to share my iTunes on my network? All my music in my iTunes was ripped in lossless from my personal cds. Hoping the 103 will be able to access my iTunes.

4) If in fact I can access my iTunes with the Oppo, and for when I toss in a regular CD into the player, I want to output the music to an outboard Dac. A Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube Dac.
Most likely use the digital coax output on the 103 to the Dac. Should the output setting on the 103 be set to "bitstream"???

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I will have more, like color space and other tweak settings on the 103, but for now I just want to enjoy it.
And btw, used the Netflix app on the 103 last night. For the first time ever, Netflix looked good! Watched Star Trek Into the Darkness on my projector. It was damn near BluRay quality. Netflix has never looked good on my smart tv app, or from the Xbox One app. Picture quality always sucked on those. On the Oppo, outstanding!

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0ic (center) ~ Veritas 2.1(Front Wides)
Energy RC-70 & CAT Tiburons(Surrounds)~ Sub 15" Diamond Audio Technology-iNuke 6000
Old 12-30-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
#1 is normal for this wiring if you have Split A/V set. When both HDMI outputs are "live" audio is muted on HDMI 1. Your comment about 3D is probably why you have it wired this way, so let's sort that out.

The "normal" wiring here would be HDMI 1 to the projector (for video only, including 3D), HDMI 2 to the Onkyo (for audio and video; not including 3D), and HDMI from the Onkyo to your TV. Set Splt A/V. With the projector turned OFF (and assuming it is configured to shut down its HDMI inputs while shut off), only the HDMI 2 output will be live and so the Onkyo will see best quality video (not including 3D) and audio with video passed on to your TV. With the projector on, you'll have both outputs live and the projector will get best quality video (including 3D) and no audio. The Onkyo will get best quality audio and a "safe" video signal to carry that audio, which it can pass on to the TV if you wish. Now, when wired this way, what isn't working for you?

For #2 , the most likely reason is that something is funky in the way your 192/24 files have been made. Typically this can be fixed by passing them through a newer version of whatever tool you used to make them. I'm assuming you mean playback stops altogether. If that's not the case then you'll need to give more detail.
--Bob

I'm going to try it that way instead. Thanks for the lenghty explaining.

Flac 24/192 and it just stops, like pushing paus. I'm gonna see if I have some other 24/192 files to play
The files are downloaded from brucespringsteen.net and I haven't done anything with them. They play just fine as is but since it is a live show the gapless play comes in to mind.

The firmware is the latest official

Last edited by buddywhite; 12-30-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexatola View Post
Hi all,

Just purchased the 103 and love it so far. I'm going not to re-archive my CD collection. I'm using iTunes just to stay in the ecosystem but can't find a way to have the 103 show album art. Gracenote on the 103 comes back saying it can't find the album. Anyone have luck getting album art to display using ALAC or AIFF?

Any advice would be helpful so I can make the right moves before I start re-ripping.

Thanks,

Alex

I forgot all about this but Sony sold Gracenote to Tribune and they merged it with Tribune Media Services. They started to integrate the two companies in the summer. I don't know what arrangement OPPO had with Sony, and if and when that arraignment will end.
http://www.gracenote.com/

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Old 12-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Oppo DAC or Emotiva DAC

Quote:
Typically a 103 owner would use HDMI for audio. The Emotiva has a reputation for HDMI issues, so you may need to try it and see if you are OK with the results.
--Bob
by using OPPO HDMI it is the emotiva DAC that is decoding the music. i think that might be right when waching a bluray ect. but when streaming CD files from NAS in 24bit 96kHz i would think that the OPPO DAC is the newest and best? or?????
Old 12-30-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
OK, I got my 103 today and hooked it up to the TV to do the setup. It wouldn't recognise my WiFi password but connected by WPS OK. I then moved it to my stereo setup and connected the HDD to usb. The android app on my tablet saw the device and all my DLNA sources no problem. The only issue I have is, I can't seem to select anything using the remote and the unit's display (i.e. input, music etc). I would see "Music" on the panel but I couldn't get it to do anything when pressing "enter" or the scrolling arrows. Is this a function that can be done through the front panel display or does it require an external monitor or the remote app?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 140
A thought occurred to me while watching a 3D title: when connected to a passive 1080p 3D TV, does the Oppo send both 1080p frames to the TV (at which point the TV halves the resolution of each frame to achieve 3D playback)? Or does the Oppo somehow know that it's a passive TV, and only sends half the resolution for each frame to the TV for display. The reason I ask is, I'm curious to know when I force 2D playback of 3D video (via the TV, not the Oppo), am I then watching the full 1080p image of one eye, or an up-scaled half-resolution of the original frame?
Old 12-31-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:

I'm going to try it that way instead. Thanks for the lenghty explaining.
Quote:

--Bob
Ok, I set it up that way and it seems to work. With my TV box and Chromecast connected to the Oppo as well. Otherwise no picture to the projector
Old 12-31-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just purchased an Oppo 103, as I got sick and tired of my 100 dollar Sony BDs always giving me problems every year and having to be replaced. After adjusting the settings to my liking, I'm very pleased with both the BD and DVD performance. However, I was thrown off by two things that I noticed.

First, was the lack of a built-in Amazon streaming app that is typically available on pretty much everything these days. Yes, I could spring for the 50 dollar Roku stick, but I don't think I'm going to because the quality of my Netflix streaming is actually not very good in comparison to my old Sony or even the Smart TV apps on my Panasonic VT60 that I've never felt the need to utilize until now.

Has anyone else noticed that the WiFi streaming isn't quite up to par in comparison to other devices?

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc