Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 658 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 430Likes
post #19711 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I can't recall - did you have it wired or wireless? I can tell you that wireless on the Oppo is useless IMHO. However wired works very well. I did end up trying a bridge device to act as the wireless and then plug in a wired connection to the oppo from the bridge and that works great as well. Just the included wireless dongle is not functional for much streaming.
Wireless performance seems to vary among users. In my case I've had no issues streaming via wireless. Btw, I use the dongle extension to get the best reception.
Mongo171 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19712 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
For the folks who have been reporting poorer quality audio on a few DTS-HD MA 6.1 tracks when using HDMI LPCM output, check that you have Dynamic Range Control in the OPPO set to OFF. This function only takes effect when the player is doing the decode (i.e., doesn't apply to HDMI Bitstream output), and there have been previous cases of discs manufactured with incorrect meta-data which screw that up.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #19713 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I can't recall - did you have it wired or wireless? I can tell you that wireless on the Oppo is useless IMHO. However wired works very well. I did end up trying a bridge device to act as the wireless and then plug in a wired connection to the oppo from the bridge and that works great as well. Just the included wireless dongle is not functional for much streaming.
I use wireless all the time -- for testing purposes -- even though I have wired Ethernet available at the player. Works fine in my case.

Try running the VUDU > My VUDU > Settings & Info > Network Speed Test and see what you get with your wireless setup. You are not only looking for peak speed, but also for whether it remains at that high speed or drops down to something much smaller often enough to notice.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #19714 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
For the folks who have been reporting poorer quality audio on a few DTS-HD MA 6.1 tracks when using HDMI LPCM output, check that you have Dynamic Range Control in the OPPO set to OFF. This function only takes effect when the player is doing the decode (i.e., doesn't apply to HDMI Bitstream output), and there have been previous cases of discs manufactured with incorrect meta-data which screw that up.
--Bob
Thanks for the suggestion.

I checked and DRC is set to OFF on my 103. I checked the DRC setting both with no disc in the 103 and with the title in question playing in the 103 (it said OFF in both cases).

Any other settings I might check?
post #19715 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Nope, if that's not it you'll have to get the disc info to OPPO so they can check out how it is authored. The Disney "WOW World of Wonder", Blu-ray, calibration disc has 6.1 test tracks that seem to work. So it is not a general problem with 6.1.
--Bob

post #19716 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by genegold View Post
I just updated the firmware - they sent me a new unit this week with the old firmware! Afterwards, I did a full reset and then a full set up. Same deal: HDMI audio off = no sound, no matter what the coax settings. Coax cable is new and good quality.
Solved the sound problem of HDMI Audio = Off by changing the dac's input to coax. Idiot me.

Been trying the idea of running the cable box through the Oppo, that way to take advantage of the Darbee processor on TV. Downside of that is that to get to the TV as a source requires switching inputs on the Oppo to HDMI-Back; the TV remote no longer sees the TV as one of two source choices because there's only one HDMI port being used and that's from the Oppo. Switching inputs has the effect of stopping what's playing on the Oppo, i.e., not recognizing pause, but requiring one to start from the home menu again when coming back to the player (although it does offer to resume from where stopped with videos, but not music). Using the Oppo's processing was one of the reasons I got the D, but I'm not seeing a way around this issue. Any other ideas?

Last edited by genegold; 01-04-2015 at 08:52 PM.
post #19717 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^^ As Mongo said, it's probably not the player, it's Netflix itself or your ISP throttling the speed,
and the other devices you have tried are getting preference.
Have you tried connecting to Netflix during non-peak hours? I'd be willing to bet that you get the better bandwidth then.
When the 103 was developed like 2 years ago, the NF app was a lot more enticing,
but now there are so many other devices you can use for NF, I could easily live without it in the player altogether.
I am using WiFi. Not hard-wired. My modem is in a separate room and I have TWO of these players. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. Good WiFi for streaming was something I didn't even bother researching. These days, it's kinda just assumed. Oppo replied back to me very quickly via e-mail, but their suggestions were all troubleshooting tips that didn't really help.

My ISP is Cox and I currently have a 5mps tier. The second to the cheapest option available, but still above the 3mps that Netflix recommends. This hasn't given me problems in the past, but I wondering if upgrading to the 25mps tier would help? What do you think? But again, 5mps has NEVER given me issues with virtually anything in the house - so that seems kind of extreme.

And then there's also that possibility that a 500 dollar Oppo just has crappy WiFi, which in 2015, is kind of silly if you ask me. Yes, I could always use Netflix on my other devices, but I kind of wanted the Oppo to be my end-be-all device that I used for everything.
post #19718 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Solved the sound problem of HDMI Audio = Off by changing the dac's input to coax. Idiot me. ....
Suddenly! As if by Logic!
--Bob

post #19719 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 08:44 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
I use wireless all the time -- for testing purposes -- even though I have wired Ethernet available at the player. Works fine in my case.

--Bob
Try streaming a 25GB mkv file and let me know how that wireless works for you. I had no issues when I used a wireless bridge in the exact same spot the dongle with the extension for the oppo rested but it was unwatchable using the oppo wireless. I'm not trying to give you a hard time but I've done pretty extensive testing of the wireless on the oppo and it can't handle the same throughput as a couple of old laptops with integrated wireless. It has been my recommendation that Oppo consider a new wireless device provider as I've had 4 oppos so far and all had miserable wireless but wonderful everything else - same experience for a couple of my clients using (airport extreme's, ISP wireless router and a Linksys router - all oppos with the latest update, all routers with the latest update).

Last edited by boe; 01-04-2015 at 08:56 PM.
post #19720 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ Nope, if that's not it you'll have to get the disc info to OPPO so they can check out how it is authored. The Disney "WOW World of Wonder", Blu-ray, calibration disc has 6.1 test tracks that seem to work. So it is not a general problem with 6.1.
--Bob
According to QuiGonJosh only certain DTS MA 6.1 Fox titles are affected (I've only tested the Star Wars; Attack of the Clones BD that was mentioned), so I'm guessing it has something to do with the way these titles are authored.

QuiGonJosh, have you contacted Oppo?
post #19721 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Alettiere , wifi is almost never as good as a hard wired connection, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the wifi in the player. Again your problem is most likely do to throttling from Netflix or your ISP.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #19722 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 08:50 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I am using WiFi. Not hard-wired. My modem is in a separate room and I have TWO of these players. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. Good WiFi for streaming was something I didn't even bother researching. These days, it's kinda just assumed. Oppo replied back to me very quickly via e-mail, but their suggestions were all troubleshooting tips that didn't really help.

My ISP is Cox and I currently have a 5mps tier. The second to the cheapest option available, but still above the 3mps that Netflix recommends. This hasn't given me problems in the past, but I wondering if upgrading to the 25mps tier would help? What do you think? But again, 5mps has NEVER given me issues with virtually anything in the house - so that seems kind of extreme.

And then there's also that possibility that a 500 dollar Oppo just has crappy WiFi, which in 2015, is kind of silly if you ask me. Yes, I could always use Netflix on my other devices, but I kind of wanted the Oppo to be my end-be-all device that I used for everything.

I think you should definitely get at least 25 - I'm at 300 and wishing I could get google fiber Netflix may say 3 but I think 10 is a comfortable number as there may be drops in performance and contention with phones, ipads, laptops etc.

The question is for the other devices - are they streaming 1080p to them with surround sound - the more quality you try to get for playback, the more bandwidth.

But I have voiced my opinion on the oppo in the past, the wireless is a weak point in my opinion although some may think it is OK, I know of 3 people who have the oppo and all of use either put in a bridge or hardwired it.
post #19723 of 20544 Old 01-04-2015, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Solved the sound problem of HDMI Audio = Off by changing the dac's input to coax. Idiot me....
Don't worry, we've all been there, done that!

I'm glad it turned out to be something simple.
post #19724 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
--Bob
DRC is set to off. It's the first thing I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
According to QuiGonJosh only certain DTS MA 6.1 Fox titles are affected (I've only tested the Star Wars; Attack of the Clones BD that was mentioned), so I'm guessing it has something to do with the way these titles are authored.

QuiGonJosh, have you contacted Oppo?
Sent them an e-mail first thing this morning.

Last edited by QuiGonJosh; 01-05-2015 at 02:15 AM.
post #19725 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Yeah, the audio information still displays MA whether the player is decoding or not and when bitstreaming I'm getting full DTS-HD MA 6.1 as well. But it's nice to know I'm not going crazy and you did notice the difference in sound quality when using LPCM on this title.

I realize this and it's not really an issue, but when bitstreaming, the receiver is getting and decoding full 6.1 audio. I'm sure there's probably not that much of a difference between that and sending 5.1 LPCM and the receiver applying PLIIxC to the signal, but I haven't compared.
I just checked one of the Star Wars BDs, 4 I think. The 103 is correctly decoding the DTS-MA 6.1 stream to 7.1 LPCM. I can hear no real difference in audio quality comparing LPCM output to bitstream. I would note however that none of this audio is very good to begin with, at least on the 1st 3 movies.

Last edited by rdgrimes; 01-05-2015 at 09:52 AM.
post #19726 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can I get a dedicated audio output?

I just got the 103. I thought that if I chose split A/V that HDMI output 2 would send a black screen?
How do I get a black screen out of HDMI output 2?
Maybe it can't? I routed the output 2 to my VP and the same BD video was playing on both HDMI outputs. For some reason I was under the impression one can get just audio and a black video out of HDMI output 2?

Revel: 3 x F206, 2 x M105 | Fathom e112 | Krell: 3 x S-150m, S-1200 | Emerald Physics EP 100.2 | Audyssey EQ & Install kit | NanoAVR DL & XTZ Pro | Oppo BDP-103 | Tivo Roamio+ | Furman SPR-20i | Radiance 2021 & ChromaPure Auto-Calibrate | JVC DILA X3 | Stewart Studiotek 130 | Apple TV | Salamander Matteo
post #19727 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCapitalism View Post
I just got the 103. I thought that if I chose split A/V that HDMI output 2 would send a black screen?
Maybe it can't? I routed the output 2 to my VP and the same BD video was playing on both HDMI outputs. For some reason I was under the impression one can get just audio and a black video out of HDMI output 2?
You cannot force black screen on HDMI-2 except from 3D video, and only when both outputs are active. Otherwise both outputs send the same video.
post #19728 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I just checked one of the Star Wars BDs, #4 I think. The 103 is correctly decoding the DTS-MA 6.1 stream to 7.1 LPCM. I can hear no real difference in audio quality comparing LPCM output to bitstream. I would note however that none of this audio is very good to begin with, at least on the 1st 3 movies.
After digging out my Star Wars 4 disc and carrying out the same comparative test as rdgrimes, I can confirm that I don't hear any major differences between the two output methods either!

It kinda makes you wonder why the disc wasn't authored with two mono back channels (at the same level) instead of just one mono back channel...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #19729 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Two questions:

When playing music files from a USB-attached hard drive on my Oppo BDP-103D, I see List View and Folder View options in the View "menu". However, the Folder View option is always greyed out and un-selectable. What condition might I be failing to meet to cause this option to be enabled?

Second, if I choose "Genres" or "Artists" or whatever from the Sort "menu", the player starts indexing the files on my hard drive. Between 10-12,000 FLAC files, 1-2,000 DSF files and probably 20,000 or so MP3 files on my 4 terabyte drive, indexing seems to hang. After half an hour, it gets to perhaps 50%. After a couple hours, it gets to 55% or so. I've always given up by this point and aborted it. Has anybody successfully indexed a large (20-30,000) number of music files? Note that the drive does contain several dozen ISO files as well, but I'm hoping the Oppo is smart enough to not try to index those.

The wife is really hoping that I can commit all my large collection of CDs, DVD-Audios, SACDs, DVDs and Blu-rays to hard drives and clean up a huge amount of shelf space by giving up the source discs.
post #19730 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
After digging out my Star Wars 4 disc and carrying out the same comparative test as rdgrimes, I can confirm that I don't hear any major differences between the two output methods either!

It kinda makes you wonder why the disc wasn't authored with two mono back channels (at the same level) instead of just one mono back channel...
Its true that 6.1 discrete is not as universally decoder friendly as 7.1. AVRs can vary in the way they handle the single back channel in a 7.1 setup, as do the many different DSP programs used by AVRs. I'd have to say that Fox's decision to release 6.1 discrete was poorly thought out. Not the first example of poor thinking at Fox. But I have no trouble imagining an AVR being set up and processing 6.1 discrete in such a way that it sounds different than 7.1 LPCM input, in particular that content found in the back channel.
post #19731 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryElbow View Post
Two questions:

When playing music files from a USB-attached hard drive on my Oppo BDP-103D, I see List View and Folder View options in the View "menu". However, the Folder View option is always greyed out and un-selectable. What condition might I be failing to meet to cause this option to be enabled?

Second, if I choose "Genres" or "Artists" or whatever from the Sort "menu", the player starts indexing the files on my hard drive. Between 10-12,000 FLAC files, 1-2,000 DSF files and probably 20,000 or so MP3 files on my 4 terabyte drive, indexing seems to hang. After half an hour, it gets to perhaps 50%. After a couple hours, it gets to 55% or so. I've always given up by this point and aborted it. Has anybody successfully indexed a large (20-30,000) number of music files? Note that the drive does contain several dozen ISO files as well, but I'm hoping the Oppo is smart enough to not try to index those.

The wife is really hoping that I can commit all my large collection of CDs, DVD-Audios, SACDs, DVDs and Blu-rays to hard drives and clean up a huge amount of shelf space by giving up the source discs.
The player can store that indexing data on the drive if you enable that feature. As to why you're having trouble with the initial indexing, its hard to say. Unusually deep folder structures with thousands of files can take a while, but it should be minutes not hours. Try turning off Gracenote, and then try it with the option to store data on the drive both on and off.

Assuming NTFS formatting, be sure to allow "Everyone" full access to the entire drive in the security tab via Windows PC.

Last edited by rdgrimes; 01-05-2015 at 10:26 AM.
post #19732 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The player can store that indexing data on the drive if you enable that feature. As to why you're having trouble with the initial indexing, its hard to say. Unusually deep folder structures with thousands of files can take a while, but it should be minutes not hours. Try turning off Gracenote, and then try it with the option to store data on the drive both on and off.
That sounds like a good idea. With that many files and a slow WiFi connection, that could be attempting to stream a ton of data that I don't really need (my tagging is pretty complete).
Quote:
Assuming NTFS formatting, be sure to allow "Everyone" full access to the entire drive in the security tab via Windows PC.
The drive (which is using NTFS) is directly connected to the Oppo when I'm consuming media. I'll check it's security setting the next time I take it to my upstairs office and add more audio files.

Thanks for the reply!
post #19733 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryElbow View Post
That sounds like a good idea. With that many files and a slow WiFi connection, that could be attempting to stream a ton of data that I don't really need (my tagging is pretty complete).

The drive (which is using NTFS) is directly connected to the Oppo when I'm consuming media. I'll check it's security setting the next time I take it to my upstairs office and add more audio files.

Thanks for the reply!
The security setting for NTFS is active regardless of whether the drive is connected to the PC or not. That's why I suggested trying it with the logging feature on and off.

Anyhow, others have used HDDs with similar numbers of files without issue. Although you are getting towards the high end. I've tested it with up to 10,000 files in 1000 folders and no problems. Any more I stick with SMB network access to HDDs though, but that might be a problem if you have slow wireless connection. But do consider hard wiring everything and set up a NAS system.
post #19734 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I don't think a factory reset will solve the problem as I believe it's built into the software of the 103 to forget the credentials after a certain period of time of inactivity. It seems to only happen to those of us that use other devices primarily for Netflix and those forum members that use the Oppo for Netflix all the time aren't experiencing these problems.
Same issue here - in fact, it just happened to me again a week ago and I was thinking about asking here.

I only use netflix on the Oppo about once every two months. And I'm pretty sure that every single time I use it, I have to log in. If I shut everything off and come back the same day, or the next day, no re-login is required. Leaving it sit without using netflix (the Oppo itself gets plenty of blu-ray and SMB use) for awhile seems to de-activate the account.

In my case, the same netflix account is regularly used on the other TV in the house (via HTPC).
post #19735 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCapitalism View Post
Well, you can turn on PURE AUDIO on the Oppo and get no video from either of the HDMI outputs--I hear no difference with this setting on versus off.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #19736 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Well, you can turn on PURE AUDIO on the Oppo and get no video from either of the HDMI outputs--I hear no difference with this setting on versus off.
I don't hear a difference, either. The only thing it does is blank the video and turn off the front panel of the OPPO.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
post #19737 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
It's not "no video", its black screen.
post #19738 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
You can access it via the Roku streaming stick which is designed to work with the Oppo in that you can use the Oppo remote to control it, but Amazon streaming by this method is only 720p and no Dolby Digital Plus. If you want the best Amazon can offer(1080p & DD+) I would suggest using an alternative method.
Thanks for the response and link.
Why would OPPO not keep its apps updated and add popular ones?
Also, will that Roku work on other TVs or dedicated to OPPO?
Thanks
post #19739 of 20544 Old 01-05-2015, 08:00 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile View Post
Thanks for the response and link.
Why would OPPO not keep its apps updated and add popular ones?
Also, will that Roku work on other TVs or dedicated to OPPO?
Thanks
Updates typically come from the company the app is for (ie: Netflix), so Oppo has to wait until a new version is provided. New apps require cooperation on both ends. The Amazon Prime app, for example, is something a lot of people have requested, but Amazon hasn't shown any interest in expanding the list of hardware manufacturers. Until Amazon is willing to work with Oppo, there's nothing Oppo can do. Even if Oppo wanted to write the app themselves, they would still need to be given access to an API and work out any licensing that's needed.

The Roku Streaming Stick, including the version Oppo sells, will work on anything with a compatible HDMI input. The version Oppo sells is the MHL version and therefore requires a MHL HDMI input, which is available on some other devices (just check before buying). There's also a regular HDMI version (which Oppo doesn't sell) that should work on device with an HDMI input, but won't have the remote control integration that the MHL version has.
post #19740 of 20544 Old 01-06-2015, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Can't believe my 2-year warranty is up. Is Oppo expected to release a new generation of Blu-ray players (aside from Darbee refreshes)? I honestly would have expected it by now but given Blu-ray's waning support in the marketplace, I could see the end approaching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page