Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 666 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 358Likes
post #19951 of 19964 Unread 01-24-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Thanks. I'll try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19952 of 19964 Unread 01-24-2015, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does the Oppo 103 have miracast support?
Reason I ask : I would like to mirror my phone (Windows phone 8.1) to the Oppo but phone is not seeing the Oppo.
So my guess is no support for miracast... and if not : is there any other way I could mirror my phone to the Oppo so it will show everything on my TV?

Unfortunately mirroring directly to my GT60 is not working.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #19953 of 19964 Unread 01-24-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 199
^The Oppo players don't have such a feature.
There may be some kind of adapter you can get that will go from the phone to the HDMI input of the player,
but I don't know of anything specifically. You'd have to search the web to see what's out there,
and it would be like flipping a coin to see if such a thing would even work with the player.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #19954 of 19964 Unread Yesterday, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^The Oppo players don't have such a feature.
There may be some kind of adapter you can get that will go from the phone to the HDMI input of the player,
but I don't know of anything specifically. You'd have to search the web to see what's out there,
and it would be like flipping a coin to see if such a thing would even work with the player.

I think the Apple Camera Connection Kit will output the phone to HDMI. But it's a short wire, not like sitting on your couch and mirroring the phone to the screen. For that, you need an Apple TV device.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #19955 of 19964 Unread Yesterday, 10:15 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Are there blogs or is there any place to read about progress or new features on the next Oppo mediacontrol for iOS or android?
post #19956 of 19964 Unread Yesterday, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Are there blogs or is there any place to read about progress or new features on the next Oppo mediacontrol for iOS or android?
I don't believe there is any place you can go to read about any new and upcoming features on Oppo's MediaControl app. It's a free app for Oppo owners...it always has been...True, some free app providers go out of their way to let you in on new features of the next release, but I have never seen Oppo do that. Are you the person who pretty much termed the MediaControl app useless because it didn't have smart searching capabilities?
post #19957 of 19964 Unread Yesterday, 02:14 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
I don't believe there is any place you can go to read about any new and upcoming features on Oppo's MediaControl app. It's a free app for Oppo owners...it always has been...True, some free app providers go out of their way to let you in on new features of the next release, but I have never seen Oppo do that. Are you the person who pretty much termed the MediaControl app useless because it didn't have smart searching capabilities?
Thanks. I did say in it's current form it is useless for me because it couldn't search subfolders. I also stated it could be the biggest game changer for a BD player as a streaming player. For me it would eliminate the need to buy a separate box for streaming movies from my server. That is why I am quite anxious to see this app progress. The layout and every other functionality covers all of my needs. Once it can scan subfolders, it will have significantly increased the value of an already great player.
post #19958 of 19964 Unread Yesterday, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Thanks......For me it would eliminate the need to buy a separate box for streaming movies from my server. That is why I am quite anxious to see this app progress. The layout and every other functionality covers all of my needs. Once it can scan subfolders, it will have significantly increased the value of an already great player.
How are you currently playing your media with your Oppo player? Via SMB or DLNA servers, or via attached USB hard drive?
post #19959 of 19964 Unread Yesterday, 03:06 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

I currently have 40TB of ripped BD's, DVDs as well as TV shows which I just download and I'm now in the process of ripping all my old CDs. SMB with Win8 is working fine as well as my old DLNA Mezzmo which I got because SMB wasn't always working well. I'm waiting for LSI to come out with a new 16i controller and then I'll build a much larger server as I'm currently out of space.
post #19960 of 19964 Unread Yesterday, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
I was experiencing the same effect recently with Netflix as well switching to source direct in the app while Netflix was up did the trick. Now the PQ matches with other sources. Maybe our resident gurus could chime in.
I was seeing the same thing. What is source direct? I switched from 5.1 DD to stereo and it went away. I assumed it was a bandwidth issue and with stereo needing less bandwidth, Netflix was able to use more for video.

post #19961 of 19964 Unread Yesterday, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am trying to use the 103D as a pre-pro for a 3 channel LCR system and it's not working very well.

I set downmix to 5.1. Subwoofer to OFF. LCR to Large. But it looks like the Oppo isn't smart enough to combine the .1 into the mains.

I also bought this player because it advertised support for SACD, volume control, and analog output. What they don't mention is not all are supported at the same time . I saw that DSD was being converted to PCM prior to going to the DACs. Found out the hard way last night that turning off the conversion means volume is locked at 100. They should have some kind of popup warning.

Few other things that could be better:

• The volume is much higher for discs than the apps or external HMDI input. So if my wife puts a CD in after I was watching Netlix, her CD plays obnoxiously loud.
  • Sometimes volume control just stops working. It's not the remote, because I can still power off & back on using it. The power cycle fixes it. It's particularly annoying when forgetting to turn the volume down before playing a CD, then have volume control stop working while it's blaring loud.
  • I've had the box crash / freeze up while trying to search on Youtube. Again, reboot fixed it.
  • The Youtube app is pretty clunky. The virtual keyboard is painful to use. It insists on searching as you type. No way to bookmark things when you find it. No way (or no intuitive way) to get from a video you searched to the users home page to browse the rest of their videos.
  • The apps take a while to start. Given the advancement in computer hardware over the years, I thought it would be pretty close to instant switching by now. , My PC with a $300 CPU bought in 2008 is able to launch Netflix in about 3 seconds. Youtube even faster. My 20GB PS3, which was also $600 many years ago, was able to start apps pretty quick as I recall. With the Oppo, I get a big red splash screen while it appears to be loading something in the background.

TV is new, so hard to judge Bluray picture quality. It looks great. Also moved the speakers out of my bedroom, down to the living room, so it's hard to judge audio quaility. But it sounds great to me, other than the missing LFE.

post #19962 of 19964 Unread Yesterday, 09:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post
I am trying to use the 103D as a pre-pro for a 3 channel LCR system and it's not working very well.

I set downmix to 5.1. Subwoofer to OFF. LCR to Large. But it looks like the Oppo isn't smart enough to combine the .1 into the mains.

It's not supposed to mix the LFE channel into L-R. The Dolby specs call for dropping the LFE channel with downmix. Aside from that, it wouldn't work in any case. LFE audio is 10db down, and has to be boosted 10db in decoding. Mixing that 10db boosted LFE into the L-R channel would massively overload those channels. Mixing it into the L-R channels 10db down wouldn't accomplish much, and the same content is supposed to be in those channels already. If you want VLF content to be boosted, you need a subwoofer.
post #19963 of 19964 Unread Today, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I was seeing the same thing. What is source direct? I switched from 5.1 DD to stereo and it went away. I assumed it was a bandwidth issue and with stereo needing less bandwidth, Netflix was able to use more for video.
Click the resolution button on the remote and select source direct. It plays back content without any added adjustments. It worked for me in cleaning up the video from Netflix and Vudu.
post #19964 of 19964 Unread Today, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
I[*]The Youtube app is pretty clunky. The virtual keyboard is painful to use. It insists on searching as you type. No way to bookmark things when you find it. No way (or no intuitive way) to get from a video you searched to the users home page to browse the rest of their videos.
I agree, so I use the Youtube app on my phone and pair it to the Oppo. Much faster to operate, searches are painless...

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc