Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 668 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 371Likes
post #20011 of 20036 Old 01-28-2015, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cool Datchu Terry??

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 26354 View Post
Same way that you added them to the Playlist.

I know that you're using a Windows-type folder/subfolder structure. When you're using the Oppo's Music function to view a display of the music files within a folder, any of those files that've been put into a Playlist will have a check-mark in front of its name. Highlight that file, and press the "Option" button on the Oppo remote. At the bottom of the display screen, one of the listed options will be "Remove".

The same procedure also applies with an actual Playlist displayed.
Thanks for the info!!

No matter how hard you try - you cannot polish a turd!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20012 of 20036 Old 01-28-2015, 06:48 AM

Datchu Terry??? he,he,he!!

Thanks for the info...too easy!!

Mike

post #20013 of 20036 Old 01-28-2015, 06:49 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerman View Post
datchu terry??? He,he,he!!

Thanks for the info...too easy!!

Mike
oops!

post #20014 of 20036 Old 01-28-2015, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 808
I just hope the next OPPO comes with a cassette and 8-track player. I want to listen to some of my old tapes.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #20015 of 20036 Old 01-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I just hope the next OPPO comes with a cassette and 8-track player. I want to listen to some of my old tapes.
You've touched on an interesting point. I wonder what the future holds if the advancements are as great from the 8 track to present BD player delivery. Will they look at the BD player with the same chuckle I have when thinking of the 8 track
skip61 and Mongo171 like this.
post #20016 of 20036 Old 01-28-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The Roku 3 responds to both IR and RF commands.

The Roku stick will output 1080p/24Hz content from Netflix when available, the Roku 3 does not.

Doesn't the netflix app from the Oppo output 24HZ as well?
post #20017 of 20036 Old 01-28-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Doesn't the netflix app from the Oppo output 24HZ as well?
No, the Netflix app embedded in the Oppo menu does not output 24Hz, all I've ever gotten out of it is 1080p/60.

The Netflix app on the Roku Stick yes, it will output 24Hz.
post #20018 of 20036 Old 01-28-2015, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerman View Post
oops!
Oops, myself.

Sorry... I mis-remembered the details.

When viewing a music-file list, highlighting any file -- whether it has a Playlist check-mark or not -- and then pressing the Option button, gives you the choice of "Music Info", "Add To Playlist", "Go To Playlist", or "Gapless Play".

Once in the Playlist, the Options are "Music Info", "Remove", and "Remove All".
post #20019 of 20036 Old 01-28-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, the Netflix app embedded in the Oppo menu does not output 24Hz, all I've ever gotten out of it is 1080p/60.

The Netflix app on the Roku Stick yes, it will output 24Hz.
Thanks. Time to move on and do a comparison between the Tivo Roamio and the Roku stick then I guess to see which one's better. I hope one or the other will have a way to display the stream resolution which the Oppo does when you press the info button.

Which one do you prefer?
post #20020 of 20036 Old 01-28-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Oops, myself.

Sorry... I mis-remembered the details.

When viewing a music-file list, highlighting any file -- whether it has a Playlist check-mark or not -- and then pressing the Option button, gives you the choice of "Music Info", "Add To Playlist", "Go To Playlist", or "Gapless Play".

Once in the Playlist, the Options are "Music Info", "Remove", and "Remove All".
Thanks for the clarification, it might have taken me a while to figure it out. I hope all is well with you in SoCal!!

post #20021 of 20036 Old 01-28-2015, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Wow this is interesting. I never knew you could create a playlist from your SMB shares. I have to try this out.

This is one of the things I disliked about the Oppo, and also the fact that you can't shuffle.
post #20022 of 20036 Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks. Time to move on and do a comparison between the Tivo Roamio and the Roku stick then I guess to see which one's better. I hope one or the other will have a way to display the stream resolution which the Oppo does when you press the info button.

Which one do you prefer?
Using the embedded Netflix app in the Oppo menu will display the Netflix debugging stream info.

Using the Netflix app on the Roku Stick will not show the stream info, pressing Info will display the input/output video resolution/audio format that the Oppo senses on those ports.

The TiVo does show the Netflix debugging stream info.

I almost always use the TiVo Netflix app since it's on the device I use on a daily basis to watch regular TV. While I do have the Oppo operating daily it's for the video processing of the TiVo and DirecTV feeds. The TiVo also seems to be the quickest to a full 1080 stream resolution than the other methods, usually it starts right off at 1080 while the others will ramp up to that resolution taking 15-45 secs to do so. The ramp up speed can depend largely on the quality of your Internet connection and who the provider is, whether they have a peering agreement with Netflix or are an Open Connect partner is a big factor in the quality of the stream.

The Tivo also has Vudu(as does the Oppo) and Amazon which are really the only other two video streaming providers I use.

So,

1080p/24Hz from Netflix on the Roku stick - no stream data info
1080p/60Hz from the embedded Netflix app - stream data info available
1080p/24Hz from Netflix on the TiVo - stream data info available

All 3 sources will pass Dolby Digital Plus audio.
Chere likes this.

Last edited by Keenan; Yesterday at 12:05 AM.
post #20023 of 20036 Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey C View Post
Wow this is interesting. I never knew you could create a playlist from your SMB shares. I have to try this out.
No part of my AV system is networked or connected to the Internet... so someone else'll have to chime in about how the Oppo's "Music" playback functionality works with networked devices.

Both scannerman and I are using USB hard drives connected directly to the Oppo, with WAV music files stored on the drives in a typical Windows folder/subfolder-type arrangement.

One major caveat with the Oppo Music playback system is that within any individual drive, only one playlist can be created. So in my setup, I have my USB drive divided into several genre-specific partitions, allowing me to create one playlist for each genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey C View Post
...one of the things I disliked about the Oppo [is] the fact that you can't shuffle.
??? Sure you can.

The ability to have the Oppo perform either "Random" or "Shuffle" playback of all of the files within any specific folder on a connected drive -- or within a Playlist -- has been in place for at least the past eighteen months... and is, for me, one of its most valuable features.

On my USB drive, each musical genre's partition has two main folders: "Albums" and "Tracks". The "Albums" sub-folder structure is Artist Name > Album Name > WAV files. The "Tracks" folder has no sub-folders, and contains all of my favorite tracks from every album within that genre. Being able to play those "Tracks" files for hours and hours, via "Shuffle", affords me the best genre-specific "radio stations" I've ever heard!

Again... I have no idea whether or not that sort of functionality extends to devices connected to the Oppo via network.

Edit: I just checked, and apparently "Shuffle" and "Random" are completely possible. See page 41 in the latest revision of the Users Manual. According to the info on page 24, though, Playlists can only be created on external USB storage devices.

Last edited by B 26354; Yesterday at 01:18 AM. Reason: Info revision
post #20024 of 20036 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Using the embedded Netflix app in the Oppo menu will display the Netflix debugging stream info.

I almost always use the TiVo Netflix app since it's on the device I use on a daily basis to watch regular TV. While I do have the Oppo operating daily it's for the video processing of the TiVo and DirecTV feeds. .
I would assume you feel that the video processing of the Oppo is better then using your AVR?

I have an Anthem MRX-500 that is connected to my DIRECTV Genie (via HDMI)...really never thought about using the Oppo to process video from the Genie.......
post #20025 of 20036 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
I almost always use the TiVo Netflix app since it's on the device I use on a daily basis to watch regular TV. While I do have the Oppo operating daily it's for the video processing of the TiVo and DirecTV feeds. The TiVo also seems to be the quickest to a full 1080 stream resolution than the other methods, usually it starts right off at 1080 while the others will ramp up to that resolution taking 15-45 secs to do so. The ramp up speed can depend largely on the quality of your Internet connection and who the provider is, whether they have a peering agreement with Netflix or are an Open Connect partner is a big factor in the quality of the stream.

The Tivo also has Vudu(as does the Oppo) and Amazon which are really the only other two video streaming providers I use.

So,

Thanks. Like you, I use the Netflix app on my TiVo instead of the 103 because the TiVo is the device i use most often in my home theater. Also, I use a Yamaha RX-V3900 as my primary sound processing device. Thus, I use the 103 only to play discs, which it does brilliantly.

Thanks to advice from you and others I chose the 103 because it could easily accept a JVB Digital all regions chip. This allows me to play BDs regardless of their region code. I have had both my 103 and JVB Digital all regions chip for two years and both have performed flawlessly.
Keenan likes this.
post #20026 of 20036 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I finally broke down and got a 103D for the theater, retiring my 93 to the great room. I was really intimidated by the Darbee since there were no real instructions. I didn't realize it was basically a simple slider. Once that 'light' went on I was able to experiment and currently have it on 75. I tried 100 but that was too aggressive with noticeable artifacts. It may go down a little more, I'll have to take a while to fine tune.

I really like the new remote, it's well laid out and easy to use. I've already moved my DirecTV from the Lex MC12-D to the HDMI IN and that works fine. ON Blue ray I was also able to watch a 3D movie with the OUT 1 feeding the RS67 directly with OUT 2 going to the Lex which doesn't handle 3D.

Finally, I am trying to decide whether to include my Lumagen XD in the lineup. It's currently out of the loop and the picture still looks great. I might try putting it back in to see if it improves anything.

One issue though. Don't know exactly what I did but the system got stuck in a mode where the display was scrunched to the left quarter of the display while the rest was a couple of solid colors, (green and dark grey?). I wasn't just moved but squeezed down, (tall skinny). I had to power down everything and power it all back up to make it go away. The 103D immediately downloaded new FW the moment it was plugged in so I should have the latest FW.
post #20027 of 20036 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post
I would assume you feel that the video processing of the Oppo is better then using your AVR?

I have an Anthem MRX-500 that is connected to my DIRECTV Genie (via HDMI)...really never thought about using the Oppo to process video from the Genie.......
I have a Denon X4000 and use it only to process the audio and to act as an HDMI switching hub to feed the display(Samsung PN64F8500). I should note that my Oppo 103 is the 'D' model with the onboard Darbee processing, though I would still use the two available HDMI inputs on the 103 to process video even if I didn't have the Darbee processing. I have both a Comcast-fed TiVo Roamio and a DirecTV Genie and feed both units to the Oppo to take advantage of the outstanding video processing of the unit. Both DVRs feed a native signal to the Oppo so it gets as clean signal as possible before doing its own magic. Since I use the Netflix, Amazon and Vudu apps embedded in the TiVo those signals also receive the Oppo/Darbee video processing.
post #20028 of 20036 Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Olson View Post
Well I finally broke down and got a 103D for the theater, retiring my 93 to the great room. I was really intimidated by the Darbee since there were no real instructions. I didn't realize it was basically a simple slider. Once that 'light' went on I was able to experiment and currently have it on 75. I tried 100 but that was too aggressive with noticeable artifacts. It may go down a little more, I'll have to take a while to fine tune.

I really like the new remote, it's well laid out and easy to use. I've already moved my DirecTV from the Lex MC12-D to the HDMI IN and that works fine. ON Blue ray I was also able to watch a 3D movie with the OUT 1 feeding the RS67 directly with OUT 2 going to the Lex which doesn't handle 3D.

Finally, I am trying to decide whether to include my Lumagen XD in the lineup. It's currently out of the loop and the picture still looks great. I might try putting it back in to see if it improves anything.

One issue though. Don't know exactly what I did but the system got stuck in a mode where the display was scrunched to the left quarter of the display while the rest was a couple of solid colors, (green and dark grey?). I wasn't just moved but squeezed down, (tall skinny). I had to power down everything and power it all back up to make it go away. The 103D immediately downloaded new FW the moment it was plugged in so I should have the latest FW.
Most people on the forum set the Darbee somewhere between 20-35.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #20029 of 20036 Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Using the embedded Netflix...........

So,

Is the same true for Vudu as well when it comes to outputting 24HZ as well? Thanks to you I now know that the Roamio is a very capable box when it comes to playing the different apps which I had completely ignored up to this point. I'm even wondering now if its youtube app is superior as well.
post #20030 of 20036 Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Is the same true for Vudu as well when it comes to outputting 24HZ as well? Thanks to you I now know that the Roamio is a very capable box when it comes to playing the different apps which I had completely ignored up to this point. I'm even wondering now if its youtube app is superior as well.
Yes, Vudu outputs 24Hz content along with Dolby Digital Plus audio. Haven't used the YouTube app too much but just tried and apparently if the content has been encoded with a 24Hz frame rate the TiVo will output it that way.
post #20031 of 20036 Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
Most people on the forum set the Darbee somewhere between 20-35.
Thanks! It was looking like I would need to reduce it further, just noticed some more artifacts at 75 so I'll probably end up much lower as well.
post #20032 of 20036 Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Edit: I just checked, and apparently "Shuffle" and "Random" are completely possible. See page 41 in the latest revision of the Users Manual. According to the info on page 24, though, Playlists can only be created on external USB storage devices.
Thanks for your reply. This is the reason I never see an option to add to playlist. I play all my music from my network-connected PC.

As far as random and shuffle are concerned, it has never worked for me. I use the Oppo App on my phone and I have selected the random/shuffle options within a folder by clicking the shuffle icon but the songs still play in the same order that they are stored in the directory.

I have music segregated as follows. MUSIC -> ARTIST -> ALBUM - > TRACK NAME. I will give it another try today.
post #20033 of 20036 Old Today, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'd like to upscale my image to 4K using the Oppo and send it to my Sony VW600es via HDMI 1. My AVP will not pass a 4K signal so I want to use the HDMI 2 out on the Oppo just for audio. Will the upscaled image prevent me from getting my AVP to process the audio?
post #20034 of 20036 Unread Today, 12:27 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
I'd like to upscale my image to 4K using the Oppo and send it to my Sony VW600es via HDMI 1. My AVP will not pass a 4K signal so I want to use the HDMI 2 out on the Oppo just for audio. Will the upscaled image prevent me from getting my AVP to process the audio?
I already answered your question in the Denon AVP thread when you posted it yesterday. The answer I posted:

Yes, that's one of the reasons why the Oppo has 2 HDMI outputs. The primary reason to use them is if you have a display that can do 3D and/or 4K, but an AVR or surround sound processor that can't pass one or the other through. Set the Oppo to Split A/V and you should be good to go. Just make sure that HDMI1 goes to the display and HDMI2 goes to the AVP in this case or you won't get the result you're hoping for.
post #20035 of 20036 Unread Today, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Set the Oppo to Split A/V and you should be good to go. Just make sure that HDMI1 goes to the display and HDMI2 goes to the AVP in this case or you won't get the result you're hoping for.
Which is problematic, because the HDMI 1 output has the non-defeatable DNR issue. I wish OPPO would allow Split A/V to be used with HDMI 2 for video and HDMI 1 for audio.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #20036 of 20036 Unread Today, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Which is problematic, because the HDMI 1 output has the non-defeatable DNR issue. I wish OPPO would allow Split A/V to be used with HDMI 2 for video and HDMI 1 for audio.
Does this refer to Digital noise reduction? I don't know what DNR issue means.

shortspark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page