Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 670 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 375Likes

post #20071 of 20084 Old Today, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Question: Why did it take over a year and half to discover the issue of calculating acoustic propagation delay with "Speaker Distance" parameters from the Speaker Configuration setting on the multichannel analog output?
It took the right person at the right time to discover there was even an issue in the first place. I'm not certain what led to me investigating and testing the speaker distance setting, but I was the one who discovered that something wasn't correct. Most on this forum didn't believe me, but Bob listened and did some testing on his end, and verified/validated my findings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20072 of 20084 Old Today, 11:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Question: Why did it take over a year and half to discover the issue of calculating acoustic propagation delay with "Speaker Distance" parameters from the Speaker Configuration setting on the multichannel analog output?
Clearly, it was a test, to see if any users were paying attention.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20073 of 20084 Old Today, 11:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Two: Why the Volume Bar appears @ the screen's bottom after you start your player?
As a safety check (speaker protection) in case you have the Volume cranked up when you don't really want that.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20074 of 20084 Old Today, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
OK, well same advice: turn off HDMI CEC in all devices. Try switching the TV to another input before shutting it off.
rdgrimes, thanks again; but no luck--no matter which HDMI port on the TV I connect the OPPO to, I still get an occasional dropout. CEC was already off on the OPPO; I don't believe CEC can be switched on the TV. I'll have to live with dropouts. Either that, or disconnect HDMI from the OPPO entirely, if I want two-channel analog music without dropouts. The BDP-103's video is exceptional; it seems a real shame it has this "handshake" gremlin. Oh, well.
post #20075 of 20084 Old Today, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by donottosmeok View Post
rdgrimes, thanks again; but no luck--no matter which HDMI port on the TV I connect the OPPO to, I still get an occasional dropout. CEC was already off on the OPPO; I don't believe CEC can be switched on the TV. I'll have to live with dropouts. Either that, or disconnect HDMI from the OPPO entirely, if I want two-channel analog music without dropouts. The BDP-103's video is exceptional; it seems a real shame it has this "handshake" gremlin. Oh, well.
You may have misunderstood the instruction. Leave the Oppo plugged into the same input on the TV. Before turning the TV off, switch it to an unused HDMI port.
post #20076 of 20084 Old Today, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by donottosmeok View Post
Just-so-as-you-know... If you have an Android device connected to your TV, it can cause weird CEC connectivity problems. As even when powered down it could still be passing a signal to your TV. If you have such a device connected, either disconnect the power cord or disconnect the HDMI lead

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #20077 of 20084 Old Today, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Check that you have the latest firmware installed. In Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information, the "Main" firmware version number should end "0827".

Check your network throughput. One good way to do this is to set up a VUDU account -- which is free until you actually rent some content. With a VUDU account, you can now go into the VUDU app to My VUDU > Info & Settings > Network Speed Test. See what sort of speed you are getting, and also whether it is constant or keeps bopping up and down in speed. If you see a problem here you know there's still some issue in your network setup that you've not yet addressed.
--Bob
I have had the same issues the OP reports, and my network speed is always over 12 Mbps. My 103 is connected to the cable model/router via Ethernet, as is a Roku 2--and I have zero problems accessing Netflix with the Roku even when Oppo repeatedly tells me "this title cannot be played." Also, the Roku required me to sign on exactly once, the day I hooked it up. In contrast, I have had to do this a number of times with the 103. No, there is definitely something screwy with the Oppo's Netflix app, and erasing and then resetting to factory defaults didn't fix this. I have no issues with Vudu, YouTube, or the Berlin Phil apps on the Oppo--it's just Netflix

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #20078 of 20084 Old Today, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Check that you have the latest firmware installed. In Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information, the "Main" firmware version number should end "0827".

Check your network throughput. One good way to do this is to set up a VUDU account -- which is free until you actually rent some content. With a VUDU account, you can now go into the VUDU app to My VUDU > Info & Settings > Network Speed Test. See what sort of speed you are getting, and also whether it is constant or keeps bopping up and down in speed. If you see a problem here you know there's still some issue in your network setup that you've not yet addressed.
--Bob
I have been very good about updating firmware. Will check to confirm, and will also check the speed test. Thanks!
post #20079 of 20084 Old Today, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I have had the same issues the OP reports, and my network speed is always over 12 Mbps. My 103 is connected to the cable model/router via Ethernet, as is a Roku 2--and I have zero problems accessing Netflix with the Roku even when Oppo repeatedly tells me "this title cannot be played." Also, the Roku required me to sign on exactly once, the day I hooked it up. In contrast, I have had to do this a number of times with the 103. No, there is definitely something screwy with the Oppo's Netflix app, and erasing and then resetting to factory defaults didn't fix this. I have no issues with Vudu, YouTube, or the Berlin Phil apps on the Oppo--it's just Netflix
Just saw this- sounds like you have the same thing I have. Glad to know it's not just me! I'll still try some basic resetting to see if it helps, but not worried about it. The player's shiny disc features are perfect and that's what is important. Just trying to explain to my wife why the player isn't operating Netflix very well…
pbarach likes this.
post #20080 of 20084 Old Today, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You may have misunderstood the instruction. Leave the Oppo plugged into the same input on the TV. Before turning the TV off, switch it to an unused HDMI port.
Hi again. In fact, I did misunderstand your instruction...lol. However, even after trying to switch to unused inputs (I use HDMI 4 for DVD) before turning the TV off, I still got dropouts. I tried switching to them all: HDMI 1, turn TV off. HDMI 2/MHL, turn TV off. HDMI 3, turn TV off. I even tried Video 1, Video 2/Component, and PC--no difference--still got dropouts. My walls have dents in them from where I've been banging my head lol.

(Note: To clarify--I never disconnected the OPPO from the HDMI 4 port, before selecting different inputs, before turning the TV off.)

Sometimes, when the TV is off, I hear a faint "click" from behind it. It's then that I get a dropout. At one time I thought maybe the TV's Automatic Software Update was responsible, so I turned that off--still got dropouts. I disconnected the LAN cable from the TV to my router--still got dropouts. At this point I can only assume that switching inputs, then turning the TV off, does not disable the other HDMI ports; they apparently "look" for connected devices all the time.

When listening to analog audio, a dropout happens within a few minutes after turning the TV off. Then, at random times thereafter (still with the TV off). If the TV is on, I don't get dropouts; but do need to mute the TV's volume.

That option is undesirable--I don't need the TV on, unless I'm using Gracenote, which is basically "never." So, it was suggested that I leave the TV on and use the TV's Picture Off function "to save electricity." But my position is, why require having an unnecessary device on at all? Maybe I'm looking at this issue wrong... But my point is, that "fixing" an issue by creating another issue--having to unplug HDMI or leaving the TV on when listening to analog music--isn't really a "fix" at all.

Carver HR-752 ~ Carver TFM-35 ~ Sony KDL-55W900A (Terk HDTVa OTA) ~ OPPO BDP-103 ~ AQ Cinnamon HDMI video & Diamondback analog audio ~ Monster Z2 biwire ~ Polk Audio LSi15
Waste not, want not. Well, except 4K OLED...that, I want.

Last edited by donottosmeok; Today at 02:17 PM. Reason: To clarify what action I took before turning the TV off--I only switched inputs; I did not switch OPPO-to-HDMI 4.
post #20081 of 20084 Old Today, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Just-so-as-you-know... If you have an Android device connected to your TV, it can cause weird CEC connectivity problems. As even when powered down it could still be passing a signal to your TV. If you have such a device connected, either disconnect the power cord or disconnect the HDMI lead
SeeMoreDigital, thanks. I have an HTC One; but it's not physically connected to the TV. The One is "visible" to my TV as a Wi-Fi direct and Screen mirroring supported device; but I wouldn't think that would cause an issue like this, would it? I heard dropouts long before the One was even added to the Device List.

Carver HR-752 ~ Carver TFM-35 ~ Sony KDL-55W900A (Terk HDTVa OTA) ~ OPPO BDP-103 ~ AQ Cinnamon HDMI video & Diamondback analog audio ~ Monster Z2 biwire ~ Polk Audio LSi15
Waste not, want not. Well, except 4K OLED...that, I want.
post #20082 of 20084 Old Today, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi guys, Im in the market for a new Blu Ray player and would like to get the 103! My concern is since this was a 2012 release will a newer model be hitting the market anytime soon? Thanks
post #20083 of 20084 Old Today, 02:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddman36 View Post
Hi guys, Im in the market for a new Blu Ray player and would like to get the 103! My concern is since this was a 2012 release will a newer model be hitting the market anytime soon? Thanks
We've got no indications of anything soon. I'm guessing (without inside info) nothing this year.

We suspect OPPO is waiting for components to become available for the new standards: 4k Bu-ray, HDCP 2.2, Rec 2020 color space, etc.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #20084 of 20084 Old Today, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 102
No one is expecting a new model until Ultra HD Blu-Ray players come along. Since Oppo tends to be conservative, they probably will not have one of the first of these players on the market. The consensus seems to be that there will most likely be a new Oppo player before 2016.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page