Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 673 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 460Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #20161 of 21050 Old 02-06-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,132
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4219 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Check that you have Dynamic Range Control set to OFF in Setup > Audio Processing.

Check your Sub volume using a calibration disc and an SPL meter. AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray has 7.1 tracks.
--Bob
In the Oppo 103 when the HDMI Audio Out is set to LPCM? ...Or in the AV receiver (SSP)?

* But it's true that in vast general the DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD audio soundtracks (5.1 and/or 7.1) sound more affirmative in the bass when the HDMI Audio Out is set to Bitstream. ...Something that I also remarked in the past. ...Not always though, but quite often. ...Depending on the Blu-ray movies/music titles, and their few or various audio soundtrack selections.
NorthSky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #20162 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Member
 
spawnofwar1600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Check that you have Dynamic Range Control set to OFF in Setup > Audio Processing.

Check your Sub volume using a calibration disc and an SPL meter. AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray has 7.1 tracks.
--Bob
I always make sure that dynamic range is switched off before watching any bluray.
Not so sure about the sub volume it's perfectly fine with 5.1 tracks, its seems something to do with specific soundtracks the way mixing is done that loses lfe in left and right channels.
spawnofwar1600 is offline  
post #20163 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Member
 
spawnofwar1600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
In the Oppo 103 when the HDMI Audio Out is set to LPCM? ...Or in the AV receiver (SSP)?

* But it's true that in vast general the DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD audio soundtracks (5.1 and/or 7.1) sound more affirmative in the bass when the HDMI Audio Out is set to Bitstream. ...Something that I also remarked in the past. ...Not always though, but quite often. ...Depending on the Blu-ray movies/music titles, and their few or various audio soundtrack selections.
Its worth a try, considering the avr will do the processing in bitstream mode
spawnofwar1600 is offline  
post #20164 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,475
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
In the Oppo 103 when the HDMI Audio Out is set to LPCM? ...Or in the AV receiver (SSP)?

* But it's true that in vast general the DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD audio soundtracks (5.1 and/or 7.1) sound more affirmative in the bass when the HDMI Audio Out is set to Bitstream. ...Something that I also remarked in the past. ...Not always though, but quite often. ...Depending on the Blu-ray movies/music titles, and their few or various audio soundtrack selections.
With HDMI audio (whether LPCM or Bitstream), speaker trims are handled by the AVR. The Analog output speaker trims in the OPPO have no effect on HDMI audio.

Dynamic Range Control is done by whichever device is doing the decoding. If you find bass anemic when using LPCM output, the first thing to check is that you have Dynamic Range Control OFF in the OPPO. There are multiple examples of discs authored with faulty DRC data.

It is also possible there is some bass boost setting you've forgotten about in your AVR for when it is fed Bitstream.

You can test with the DTS-HD MA 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 tracks on AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray, fed into your 7.1 speaker setup through your AVR. Compare LPCM and Bitstream output of those. The bass should be the same. If not, then there is something funky going on in your AVR. If they ARE the same for these test tracks, but you are still finding a difference with real movie discs, check for a dynamics setting set incorrectly in your AVR.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #20165 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,475
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post
I always make sure that dynamic range is switched off before watching any bluray.
Not so sure about the sub volume it's perfectly fine with 5.1 tracks, its seems something to do with specific soundtracks the way mixing is done that loses lfe in left and right channels.
DTS has its own peculiar rules for how 7.1 tracks are to be decoded when targeting a 5.1 speaker setup. But the first step is to check with calibration tracks and make sure you don't have something odd going on in your bass management (speaker and sub balance and Crossover setup).

Also be sure you are comparing at matched volumes. When a 7.1 track is down-mixed to 5.1 there is down-mix attenuation (about 5dB) in all speakers and the Sub. This provides headroom in the Surrounds since they now have to carry two speakers worth of content. The other speakers and Sub are lowered to stay in balance. The point being, if you are comparing a 5.1 track against a 7.1 track -- both played in a 5.1 speaker setup -- you may need to boost Main Volume a bit while playing the 7.1 track so you are comparing them at the same playback level.
--Bob
AlexanderDelarg likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 02-07-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #20166 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,132
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4219 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
With HDMI audio (whether LPCM or Bitstream), speaker trims are handled by the AVR. The Analog output speaker trims in the OPPO have no effect on HDMI audio.

Dynamic Range Control is done by whichever device is doing the decoding. If you find bass anemic when using LPCM output, the first thing to check is that you have Dynamic Range Control OFF in the OPPO. There are multiple examples of discs authored with faulty DRC data.

It is also possible there is some bass boost setting you've forgotten about in your AVR for when it is fed Bitstream.

You can test with the DTS-HD MA 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 tracks on AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray, fed into your 7.1 speaker setup through your AVR. Compare LPCM and Bitstream output of those. The bass should be the same. If not, then there is something funky going on in your AVR. If they ARE the same for these test tracks, but you are still finding a difference with real movie discs, check for a dynamics setting set incorrectly in your AVR.
--Bob
Gotcha.
NorthSky is offline  
post #20167 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,132
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4219 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post
Its worth a try, considering the avr will do the processing in bitstream mode
- So your setup is a 5.1-channel one.
- Why not simply leave your Oppo 103's HDMI Audio Out setting @ Bitstream? ...Irregardless of how many channels are on the Blu-ray disc.
NorthSky is offline  
post #20168 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Iron Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NorCal
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just picked up an Onkyo TX-NR3008 A/V receiver to use as a pre/pro. It is replacing my beloved Parasound Halo. Picked it up for what seems like a good deal at $580. Being it shows a retail of $2099 on the Onkyo site, it sounded like a really great price so I jumped on it.
Mainly for the HDMI switching. Figure I will use it for now until I buy a new Pre/Pro down the road. Maybe when the newer Atmos pre/pros start to drop in price.
Question about hooking up my BDP103 to it. I've been using the analog outs on the 103 for "ALL" surround formats. Now that I will be using an HDMI capable receiver, will I ditch the analog connections? Or are they still needed for SACD/DVD Audio discs? Or will they pass over the HDMI and be decoded in their high res glory through the AVR?

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~Onkyo TX-NR3008 as my Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ Energy RC-70 (side surrounds)
CAT Tiburons(rear surr) ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One
Iron Maiden is offline  
post #20169 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 02:42 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Now that I will be using an HDMI capable receiver, will I ditch the analog connections? Or are they still needed for SACD/DVD Audio discs? Or will they pass over the HDMI and be decoded in their high res glory through the AVR?
HDMI is miraculous: it does everything. When it works.

-Bill
jskang and AlexanderDelarg like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #20170 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Question about hooking up my BDP103 to it. I've been using the analog outs on the 103 for "ALL" surround formats. Now that I will be using an HDMI capable receiver, will I ditch the analog connections? Or are they still needed for SACD/DVD Audio discs? Or will they pass over the HDMI and be decoded in their high res glory through the AVR?
If your Onkyo receiver can't decode DSD, then you'll need the 103 to convert the hdmi audio to LPCM.
DanF8500 is online now  
post #20171 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
LairdWilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC, USA
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
If your Onkyo receiver can't decode DSD, then you'll need the 103 to convert the hdmi audio to LPCM.
I think that in a attempt to be helpful and add some information about configuring the Oppo to use HDMI, you may inadvertently be confusing things a bit here for the OP. i.e. You failed to mention that he can indeed use HDMI only in the first place - and still have the Oppo do decoding from DSD to PCM.

So- to be really clear: The vast majority of users with a relatively recent AVR will most likely NOT need to use the analog audio outputs of the 103. If your AVR cannot process DSD and if you want to play DSD audio files or SACDs, then you will need to turn the output from the 103 to LPCM rather than bitstream and let the Oppo decode the DSD to LPCM. The AVR can then take the LPCM feed from the Oppo just fine.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
LairdWilliams is online now  
post #20172 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 240
^ Laird, I think you're diving waaaay too deep into people's helpful comments.

Actually, I should have told the OP he would need to set the 103's "SACD Output" to Auto or LPCM if he wants to use the Oppo's hdmi port for SACD/DSD audio if his AVR can't decode DSD.

Last edited by DanF8500; 02-07-2015 at 04:02 PM.
DanF8500 is online now  
post #20173 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 PM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Anyone else having trouble streaming x265 encoded MKVs?
boe is offline  
post #20174 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 17,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Anyone else having trouble streaming x265 encoded MKVs?
Most anyone would, considering the player does not support H.265.
boe likes this.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #20175 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Iron Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NorCal
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Yes, it will accept DSD for SACD playback. Guess I will try it both ways then.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~Onkyo TX-NR3008 as my Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ Energy RC-70 (side surrounds)
CAT Tiburons(rear surr) ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One
Iron Maiden is offline  
post #20176 of 21050 Old 02-07-2015, 08:34 PM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Most anyone would, considering the player does not support H.265.
Thanks for verifying. I appreciate it. A friend of mine with an gaming console PS3 or xbox (not sure which) said he was going to start downloading them. Not sure if it can play them or not.

Last edited by boe; 02-07-2015 at 08:48 PM.
boe is offline  
post #20177 of 21050 Old 02-08-2015, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
bob brennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Just picked up an Onkyo TX-NR3008 A/V receiver to use as a pre/pro. It is replacing my beloved Parasound Halo. Picked it up for what seems like a good deal at $580. Being it shows a retail of $2099 on the Onkyo site, it sounded like a really great price so I jumped on it.
Mainly for the HDMI switching. Figure I will use it for now until I buy a new Pre/Pro down the road. Maybe when the newer Atmos pre/pros start to drop in price.
Question about hooking up my BDP103 to it. I've been using the analog outs on the 103 for "ALL" surround formats. Now that I will be using an HDMI capable receiver, will I ditch the analog connections? Or are they still needed for SACD/DVD Audio discs? Or will they pass over the HDMI and be decoded in their high res glory through the AVR?
TX-NR3008 can decode "TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding to support the latest Blu-ray technology"

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
bob brennan is offline  
post #20178 of 21050 Old 02-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
LairdWilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC, USA
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ Laird, I think you're diving waaaay too deep into people's helpful comments.
Yeah - probably - but I saw two possible interpretations of your answer and just wanted to head off a trip through "door #2 ".

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
LairdWilliams is online now  
post #20179 of 21050 Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Yeah - probably - but I saw two possible interpretations of your answer and just wanted to head off a trip through "door #2 ".
Fair enough. It looks like the OP has a plan. He's gonna try both LPCM and DSD passthrough setting for SACD output since his AVR can decode DSD.
DanF8500 is online now  
post #20180 of 21050 Old 02-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Member
 
monkmanusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Go to Setup > Device Setup > VUDU > Deactivate VUDU

The next time you launch the VUDU app it will ask you to login anew.
--Bob
Worked! Well that was easy. Wonder why they do not provide a "logout/login" capability within the App itself. Most strange.
But all good now - many thanks for your assistance - truly appreciated.

Oppo BDP-103, Marantz SR7009, Panasonic PT-AE4000U PJ, Da-Lite 119" HCCV Contour
monkmanusa is offline  
post #20181 of 21050 Old 02-08-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SherazNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hello all,
I have a quick question about Bass Management in Oppo 103. Can someone please confirm if bass management can be used with the HDMI PCM output or if it is applied to the analog outputs only?
thx.
SherazNJ is offline  
post #20182 of 21050 Old 02-08-2015, 04:13 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Hello all,
I have a quick question about Bass Management in Oppo 103. Can someone please confirm if bass management can be used with the HDMI PCM output or if it is applied to the analog outputs only?
thx.
Analog only.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #20183 of 21050 Old 02-08-2015, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SherazNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Analog only.

-Bill
That's Bill.
SherazNJ is offline  
post #20184 of 21050 Old 02-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,475
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
^ I'm glad we cleared that up!
--Bob
gsr likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #20185 of 21050 Old 02-08-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,132
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4219 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Any Canadians here getting VUDU from your Oppo 103 player? ...Or is it in the United States of America only?

About Netflix? ...VHS (240i) or DVD (480i - interlaced) video quality? ...For Canadians (the few like me), and also for Americans (like most of you).
What is HD? ...720p and higher? ...Why are they calling 240 (VHS) and 480 (DVD) HD?

Are Canadians a different species? ...And what material Canadians have to view true HD (1080P) from online applications, and also 3D and 4K?
What plan (bandwidth) do we need with our telecommunication or cable service providers (Internet speed, monthly payments, etc.) in order to access decent picture and audio quality? ...Through our Oppo 103's various smart audio/video applications.
NorthSky is offline  
post #20186 of 21050 Old 02-09-2015, 01:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Thanks for verifying. I appreciate it. A friend of mine with an gaming console PS3 or xbox (not sure which) said he was going to start downloading them. Not sure if it can play them or not.
I seriously doubt it, I got rid of my PS3 last year. The PS3 support for video is not as good as the Oppo and it most certainly will not be able to play H.265 MKVs because - just like the 103 - the PS3 hardware cannot decode H.265.

Quite frankly, 4K is a gimmick. People think they are going to see a huge improvement over 1080p.

Well even with a 60 inch screen, unless you are seated 3-4 feet away, you are NOT going to be able to tell the difference between 1080P and 4K.

If you are seated 10 feet away from your TV, 720p looks just as good as 1080p.
Joey C is offline  
post #20187 of 21050 Old 02-09-2015, 06:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm in the middle of shopping for a TV and BR player. If I don't get a top of the line TV will I still reap the benefit of getting an oppo player?
Ross MacGarvey is offline  
post #20188 of 21050 Old 02-09-2015, 06:29 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacGarvey View Post
I'm in the middle of shopping for a TV and BR player. If I don't get a top of the line TV will I still reap the benefit of getting an oppo player?
Welcome to AVSForum.

Sure, although we should ask: what benefits are you looking for? You should not expect dramatic differences in video quality for Blu-ray when comparing different players these days.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #20189 of 21050 Old 02-09-2015, 06:58 AM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey C View Post

Quite frankly, 4K is a gimmick. People think they are going to see a huge improvement over 1080p.

Well even with a 60 inch screen, unless you are seated 3-4 feet away, you are NOT going to be able to tell the difference between 1080P and 4K.

If you are seated 10 feet away from your TV, 720p looks just as good as 1080p.
This is not meant to be a put down but I really think you should get your eyes checked. I can spot the difference EASILY between 4K on a 65" TV and 1080p on a 65" TV at 10 feet. This is not a boast or a taunt - it just simply is. One of my best friends is the same way because when we went shopping a couple of years ago we instantly noticed the 4K TV (in a group not separated from the reast) before we even approached the TV and found out it was 4k. There are many people who can't tell the difference between motion on a plasma vs. motion on a LCD - maybe there are people whose eyes can't detect 4K vs 1080p but I have to think that 4k thing could be resolved with corrective lenses (again not a put down - simply a suggestion).

Last edited by boe; 02-09-2015 at 07:02 AM.
boe is offline  
post #20190 of 21050 Old 02-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Member
 
tym2relax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry if this has been asked before...but I have a 103 coming tomorrow and was thinking about internet radio. I know the 103 can stream Pandora for example, but can I control it via the app? I don't want to turn on the display just to listen/manage the radio streams. Thanks
tym2relax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off