Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 676 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 430Likes

post #20251 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 12:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
Just watching Justified on FX through the Oppo via DirecTV...video seems a little unnatural. Maybe a little stuttery, for lack of a better word.
You're sure you're feeding "native" (i.e. 720p for FX) into the Oppo? You're not doing upconvert from 720p to faux-1080i and then feeding faux-1080i to the Oppo, are you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20252 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It is recommended that 2-channel (rca) analog are used when listening to music CD. They have a higher output decibel and sounds much better compared to using digital; be it HDMI, Coax S/PDIF, or Optical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syednizamudeen View Post
Now, I understand...Oppo and HTR390 can be connected using Analog cables on Front Right and Front Front Left(Analog Audio out from Oppo) to BD/DVD(IN) on Onkyo right????

So, only listening to stereo Music is possible???

Let me see if analog cables does really sound better than HDMI...

Thank You..
syednizamudeen likes this.
post #20253 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
You're sure you're feeding "native" (i.e. 720p for FX) into the Oppo? You're not doing upconvert from 720p to faux-1080i and then feeding faux-1080i to the Oppo, are you?

Thanks for the reply.

Pretty sure I do. In the DTV box, I have Native set to on, and all the resolutions checked -- I assume that will then pass them all unadulterated.

The show I was watching, however, had been recorded before I changed to Native On. Dumb question -- would the DVR have recorded an upscaled (in the DVR) version of the show, and that is why I was noticing these artifacts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #20254 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
It is recommended that 2-channel (rca) analog are used when listening to music CD. They have a higher output decibel and sounds much better compared to using digital; be it HDMI, Coax S/PDIF, or Optical.
It just depends on what piece of equipment does a better job of converting digital to analog. If someone has a top notch pre-amp, it may be best to send it a digital signal. In addition, you lose some pre-amp functionality (ie room correction) if you send it an analog signal.
eljr likes this.

Sean
post #20255 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Attempting to clear up some misinformation here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syednizamudeen View Post
Now, I understand...Oppo and HTR390 can be connected using Analog cables on Front Right and Front Front Left(Analog Audio out from Oppo) to BD/DVD(IN) on Onkyo right????

So, only listening to stereo Music is possible???

Let me see if analog cables does really sound better than HDMI...

Thank You..
The Onkyo is going to convert those stereo analog inputs to digital (LPCM), process as designed, then back through its DAC.
So what you're actually listening to is the Onkyo's DAC, not the Oppo's. This is true of most AVRs with the exception of those that offer a true analog bypass (a rare and expensive feature that bypasses all processing) Those AVRs that have multi-channel analog inputs do not convert that to LPCM.

Quote:
Not sure where this is coming from, it sounds pretty goofy to me, but see above

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
It just depends on what piece of equipment does a better job of converting digital to analog. If someone has a top notch pre-amp, it may be best to send it a digital signal. In addition, you lose some pre-amp functionality (ie room correction) if you send it an analog signal.
Again see above. Once converted to LPCM, stereo inputs are passed through whatever DSP the AVR offers.
post #20256 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Just watching Justified on FX through the Oppo via DirecTV...video seems a little unnatural. Maybe a little stuttery, for lack of a better word. Commercials and other programs seem fine. My imagination, or a setting I am missing somewhere?

Thanks for any thoughts...
I used to have lots of random stuttering when the Comcast X1 box would convert 720P to 1080i and I would have the OPPO 103D upscale 1080i to 1080p and send it out to my panel. It would be most noticeable on Fox and ESPN football games (plays with lots of lateral movement across the screen) and F/X show like The Americans and Justified.

The way I eliminated most of that was by turning 1080/24 from "Auto" to "Off"

Now I notice more pull-down judder when playing blu-rays, but to me it still beats dealing with the stuttering by a country mile.

Notes:
- Switching the 720p channels to output 720p in the X1 did not help fix this for me.
- Rewinding on the DVR and then snapping back to live broadcast would sometimes help clear the stuttering up.
- Sending the X1 directly to the panel and skipping the OPPO cleared it all right up.

A couple things to try anyway...

post #20257 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
^ Did you try 1080/24 "On"?
post #20258 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
I haven't owned an Oppo player since the model 83 years ago. I loved that player and the only reason I moved on from it was my desire to play my media files (ISO and MKV) from a single video playback device with content stored on a server. Many years and many different combinations later, I am still in search of an ideal solution. I recently fell in love with the XBMC/Kodi interface for media playback and cover art which I am running on an Amazon FireTV an also an ASUS Chromebox. Content is via an SMB share on my unRaid server which has been running beautifully for years now. Through many different media players I have always missed the assurance in top notch video playback that the Oppo used to give me. These little players do so much more than any BD player but they are not always the best at processing video and handling it correctly. I know that there was an Oppo player a while back that handled ISO files through an older firmware which was later removed and I see those players going for a premium when sold with the ISO firmware. I have also read about the last few Oppo players being able to access SMB shares and playback some MKV files. While much of my collection is full BD-ISO, I have moved on from that format and use MKV exclusively now. I am wondering if any Oppo player or combination of Oppo player and other device or app does this while also being able to scrape media content and display cover art similar to the way XBMC/Kodi does.
post #20259 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
?????
If you are asking what the difference is between connecting the Oppo up to the A/V receiver with HDMI/Optical/Dig Coax vs analog rca....
Difference is with a digital connection to the AVR (HDMI/Optical/Dig Coax) you are using the AVR's DAC. If you connect the Oppo with analog cables, you are using the Oppo's Dac. Both methods work, it will just be a personal preference as to which dac sounds better to you.
I use an outboard dac as it sounds better than the Oppo dac and the Pre/Pro's dac to me.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~ Parasound Halo C2 Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ Energy RC-70 (side surrounds)
CAT Tiburons(rear surr) ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One
post #20260 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Attempting to clear up some misinformation here:

The Onkyo is going to convert those stereo analog inputs to digital (LPCM), process as designed, then back through its DAC.
So what you're actually listening to is the Onkyo's DAC, not the Oppo's. This is true of most AVRs with the exception of those that offer a true analog bypass (a rare and expensive feature that bypasses all processing) Those AVRs that have multi-channel analog inputs do not convert that to LPCM.

Quote:
Not sure where this is coming from, it sounds pretty goofy to me, but see above

Again see above. Once converted to LPCM, stereo inputs are passed through whatever DSP the AVR offers.
As goofy as it may sound, it comes from here: Cambridge Audio Azur 752B (page 12). I use this manual as a cross-reference due to its similar build/design to the Opp BDP-103/D except for the Wolfson DACs, and with a price tag costing almost three times more.

Pg. 12
Separate analogue stereo
The analogue stereo outputs should be used for play back of CDs,
DVDs etc in stereo through a conventional amplifier or AV receiver with
analogue stereo inputs.
Analogue stereo is also usually the best connection method for listening
to CDs and other stereo discs for best possible sound quality. It is often a
good idea to connect both the analogue stereo outputs (for CD playback)
and digital audio outputs or HDMI (for surround sound decoding) at the
same time.
To connect an analogue stereo system to the 752BD, use stereo phono cables (stereo 2RCA-2RCA)

As you can see, the buttons on the front, the rear deck, and innards layout are almost identical to the BDP-103.

Last edited by 80sGuy; 02-12-2015 at 11:49 AM.
post #20261 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 11:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
I am wondering if any Oppo player or combination of Oppo player and other device or app does this while also being able to scrape media content and display cover art similar to the way XBMC/Kodi does.
Yes on MKV and SMB, no on an interface as sophisticated as XBMC. It does Gracenote lookup for some art and descriptive info, but this not very reliable for media files because it depends solely on the file name, which is not enough for Gracenote.

I have a little book-sized HTPC running XBMC which I connect to the OPPO's HDMI input, but that is optional. It could just as easily be connected to the TV itself, or a receiver.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #20262 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Pretty sure I do. In the DTV box, I have Native set to on, and all the resolutions checked -- I assume that will then pass them all unadulterated.
You can tell for sure what the 103 is receiving from the DTV box, by pushing the INFO ("i") button on the 103's remote. This will present a status bar at the top and bottom of the screen showing what is being received into the 103 and sent out of the 103, and you can also use PAGE-UP/PAGE-DOWN to present additional information. Press the INFO button again to toggle away the displays.

Quote:
The show I was watching, however, had been recorded before I changed to Native On. Dumb question -- would the DVR have recorded an upscaled (in the DVR) version of the show, and that is why I was noticing these artifacts?
Not likely. Recordings are simply recordings, at the original native resolution. Conversions if requested would occur at playback time from the DTV box, not at recording time. So if you have NATIVE set, it should be working fine.

I don't think the 103's 1080p/24hz setting affects external HDMI input, but rather is only relevant to DVD playing. I think.

Anyway, if you've got your DTV box in "native" than I don't have any additional explanation for the "judder" you may be seeing, which is mostly caused by multiple conversions from the native format prior to arriving at the 103 where it gets the final upconvert to 1080p for delivery to your AVR/display.
post #20263 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
As goofy as it may sound, it comes from here: Cambridge Audio Azur 752B (page 12). I use this manual as a cross-reference due to its similar build/design to the Opp BDP-103/D except for the Wolfson DACs, and with a price tag costing almost three times more.
Not relevant to the OP's situation. SEE ABOVE. His AVR will convert stereo analog inputs to LPCM for processing. Cambridge is referring to a pure analog pathway.
post #20264 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 11:58 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:

Pg. 12
Separate analogue stereo
The analogue stereo outputs should be used for play back of CDs,
DVDs etc in stereo through a conventional amplifier or AV receiver with
analogue stereo inputs.
Analogue stereo is also usually the best connection method for listening
to CDs and other stereo discs for best possible sound quality. It is often a
good idea to connect both the analogue stereo outputs (for CD playback)
and digital audio outputs or HDMI (for surround sound decoding) at the
same time.
To connect an analogue stereo system to the 752BD, use stereo phono cables (stereo 2RCA-2RCA)
Their advice is waaaaaaaaay too generic. It's not as simple as "analog sounds better than digital" because the audio in the player starts out as digital and has to be converted to analog before it comes out of the speakers. Where that conversion should be done depends on where the better DAC is in any given system. The better DAC might be in the player, but it might also be in the AVR, pre-pro, or external standalone DAC. In the case of the Cambridge Audio player you're referencing, the analog outputs are more on a par with Oppo's BDP-105 than the BDP-103, so there are going to be more cases where using the DAC in the player makes more sense, but even then it doesn't always make sense.

Now, if the user wants to apply room correction or speaker configuration (bass management, distance corrections, etc.) to the audio in the AVR or pre-pro, then it doesn't make any sense at all to use the DAC in the player, because the analog signal will have to be converted back to digital, have the room correction applied in the digital domain, and then converted back to analog again using the DAC in the AVR or pre-pro. In such a situation, that's a lot of extra processing that's completely unnecessary - just send the signal digitally to the AVR or pre-pro if using room correction.
Iron Maiden likes this.
post #20265 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybob View Post
^ Did you try 1080/24 "On"?
I did not. I will give it a go. Thanks!

post #20266 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Nice explanation "gsr". I was trying to give the short version.

To add to above, if you do use analog out from the Oppo or any source it probably makes sense to engage any "pure/direct" circuitry in your pre-amp or receiver. My Marantz has 2 options (pure and pure direct, I think) to avoid sending the analog signal back to the digital domain.

Sean
post #20267 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

This is all preference as it sounded good to my ears. I listen to a lot of vinyls and the same applies even though 'phono' hookup is somewhat limited in terms of connection method. Two of my CD/R decks are connected via both analog and s/pdif, optical. As pure in digital as they are but I find it too 'flat' sounding and lacking frequency response - unless I turn it up to a certain level. Yes you can apply all sorts of room correction, bass management and what not, but listening in 2.0 stereo mode (as in the case with vinyl) is suffice. Again, this is just personal preference. Of course, we are referring to music CDs here and by no means I would recommend this for DVD/BD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Their advice is waaaaaaaaay too generic. It's not as simple as "analog sounds better than digital" because the audio in the player starts out as digital and has to be converted to analog before it comes out of the speakers. Where that conversion should be done depends on where the better DAC is in any given system. The better DAC might be in the player, but it might also be in the AVR, pre-pro, or external standalone DAC. In the case of the Cambridge Audio player you're referencing, the analog outputs are more on a par with Oppo's BDP-105 than the BDP-103, so there are going to be more cases where using the DAC in the player makes more sense, but even then it doesn't always make sense.

Now, if the user wants to apply room correction or speaker configuration (bass management, distance corrections, etc.) to the audio in the AVR or pre-pro, then it doesn't make any sense at all to use the DAC in the player, because the analog signal will have to be converted back to digital, have the room correction applied in the digital domain, and then converted back to analog again using the DAC in the AVR or pre-pro. In such a situation, that's a lot of extra processing that's completely unnecessary - just send the signal digitally to the AVR or pre-pro if using room correction.

Last edited by 80sGuy; 02-12-2015 at 12:39 PM.
post #20268 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
You can tell for sure what the 103 is receiving from the DTV box, by pushing the INFO ("i") button on the 103's remote. This will present a status bar at the top and bottom of the screen showing what is being received into the 103 and sent out of the 103, and you can also use PAGE-UP/PAGE-DOWN to present additional information. Press the INFO button again to toggle away the displays.
I'm glad you mentioned this...I did press Info on the Oppo and saw 720p at the top of the screen (I believe it said IN) and 1080p for HDMI 1 (Out) at the bottom. So, it sounds like the Oppo is receiving the Native resolution and upconverting correctly. I have not tried the page up and down when in INFO -- I will tonight and see what else it is saying.

Quote:
Not likely. Recordings are simply recordings, at the original native resolution. Conversions if requested would occur at playback time from the DTV box, not at recording time. So if you have NATIVE set, it should be working fine.
Just a hopeful theory...oh, well...

Quote:
I don't think the 103's 1080p/24hz setting affects external HDMI input, but rather is only relevant to DVD playing. I think.
I had switched this to OFF, Auto, and On trying to discern a difference last night -- don't think I saw any. That said, I may play with it again a bit more...

Quote:
Anyway, if you've got your DTV box in "native" than I don't have any additional explanation for the "judder" you may be seeing, which is mostly caused by multiple conversions from the native format prior to arriving at the 103 where it gets the final upconvert to 1080p for delivery to your AVR/display.
The judder was only noticeable in that one program. I watched live HBO and FoxNews configured this way, with no discernible artifacts. In fact, it looked really good...

The true test is when I get my splitter configured to reduce the HDMI Outs to one. Then I can properly assess overall performance, I think.

Thanks for your help!
post #20269 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 12:55 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
This is all preference as it sounded good to my ears. I listen to a lot of vinyls and the same applies even though 'phono' hookup is somewhat limited in terms of connection method. Two of my CD/R decks are connected via both analog and s/pdif, optical. As pure in digital as they are but I find it too 'flat' sounding and lacking frequency response - unless I turn it up to a certain level. Yes you can apply all sorts of room correction, bass management and what not, but listening in 2.0 stereo mode (as in the case with vinyl) is suffice. Again, this is just personal preference. Of course, we are referring to music CDs here and by no means I would recommend this for DVD/BD.
Ultimately, which way to go is a matter of personal preference, but there's some amount of logic that should be considered in the decision process. The same applies whether it's music or movies. Any degradation in sound quality may be a bit less important to some people for movies, but if you want the best sound quality possible, it makes sense to minimize the number of times the signal is converted between digital and analog.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #20270 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Yes on MKV and SMB, no on an interface as sophisticated as XBMC. It does Gracenote lookup for some art and descriptive info, but this not very reliable for media files because it depends solely on the file name, which is not enough for Gracenote.

I have a little book-sized HTPC running XBMC which I connect to the OPPO's HDMI input, but that is optional. It could just as easily be connected to the TV itself, or a receiver.

-Bill
Thanks for the reply.

So the Oppo is acting as a sort of video processor by accepting the HTPC as a video source? I assume your HTPC is sending RGB over HDMI. How does the Oppo handle that? Do you output something other than RGB from the Oppo to your display? 4:2:2 or 4:4:4?
post #20271 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 01:50 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

So the Oppo is acting as a sort of video processor by accepting the HTPC as a video source? I assume your HTPC is sending RGB over HDMI. How does the Oppo handle that? Do you output something other than RGB from the Oppo to your display? 4:2:2 or 4:4:4?
Yes, the input is RGB over HDMI. I don't know if XBMC allows other color spaces; I'd have to dig into the setup and configuration options.

I also output RGB, but that is just my preference for the display I use. You can output either type of YCbCr instead.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #20272 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
^ For anyone who has the option in their Source device(s), I recommend you send YCbCr -- either 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 -- to the HDMI Inputs of the 10x players instead of RGB.

The OUTPUT of the player can be selected as RGB or YCbCr at your preference. (RGB PC Level output, however, should only be used if that's the only choice your Display can handle -- typically only true if using an older style, Computer Monitor as your Display.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20273 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ For anyone who has the option in their Source device(s), I recommend you send YCbCr -- either 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 -- to the HDMI Inputs of the 10x players instead of RGB.

--Bob
I've heard Roku 3's only output RGB, but that discussion should be in a different thread. Why would you recommend that the color space for an hdmi input to an Oppo player be in YCbCr instead of RGB? Even for HTPC's? (if the Oppo players have selectable color space options on the output to your tv)

Last edited by DanF8500; 02-12-2015 at 02:50 PM.
post #20274 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ It's a bit more technical than I want to get into right now, but the bottom line is, odds are good you will get better picture quality if you send YCbCr to the HDMI Inputs.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 02-12-2015 at 03:19 PM.
post #20275 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
While much of my collection is full BD-ISO, I have moved on from that format and use MKV exclusively now. I am wondering if any Oppo player or combination of Oppo player and other device or app does this while also being able to scrape media content and display cover art similar to the way XBMC/Kodi does.
Here's a workaround that you can try. Works for me....

The later versions of the Oppo have the ability to act as a UPNP player that XMBC can see.

1) From your XBMC machine, use the "play using" UPNP functionality and select the Oppo player on the network. MKV should start to play throgh the Oppo.
2) Once you get this working set the Oppo UPNP device as the XBMC default player (sear how to do this if needed)
3) Connect the XBMC to the Oppo HDMI input. You will then be viewing the nice front end of XBMC though the Oppo input.
4) When you start playback of a movie, it starts it on the Oppo vs the XBMC machine.
5) Here's the cool part...the Oppo will automatically switch inputs to play the network movie that you just selected via XBMC.

I don't really like talking about my flair

Chromebox W/ XBMC For Sale
RTI T4 Remote For Sale:
post #20276 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
I've heard Roku 3's only output RGB, but that discussion should be in a different thread. Why would you recommend that the color space for an hdmi input to an Oppo player be in YCbCr instead of RGB? Even for HTPC's? (if the Oppo players have selectable color space options on the output to your tv)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ It's a bit more technical than I want to get into right now, but the bottom line is, odds are good you will get better picture quality if you send YCbCr to the HDMI Inputs.
--Bob
I'd love to hear your technical overview of this when you have time, as I think a lot of other Oppo owners would. I know quite a few have Roku 3 devices, and if they're using them on an hdmi input of an Oppo player, they may be unaware that the picture quality may not be the best that is possible via those devices if you say YCbCr color spaces will generally produce better picture quality on the Oppo's hdmi inputs.
Keenan likes this.
post #20277 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Quote:
While much of my collection is full BD-ISO, I have moved on from that format and use MKV exclusively now. I am wondering if any Oppo player or combination of Oppo player and other device or app does this while also being able to scrape media content and display cover art similar to the way XBMC/Kodi does.

The later versions of the Oppo have the ability to act as a UPNP player that XMBC can see.

1) From your XBMC machine, use the "play using" UPNP functionality and select the Oppo player on the network. MKV should start to play throgh the Oppo.
2) Once you get this working set the Oppo UPNP device as the XBMC default player (sear how to do this if needed)
3) Connect the XBMC to the Oppo HDMI input. You will then be viewing the nice front end of XBMC though the Oppo input.
4) When you start playback of a movie, it starts it on the Oppo vs the XBMC machine.
5) Here's the cool part...the Oppo will automatically switch inputs to play the network movie that you just selected via XBMC.
Wow, now that sounds genius! Wish I could get my hands on a player to test.
post #20278 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I don't use XBMC myself, but I believe I've followed what you just suggested. And I'd say this is definitely worth a Cookie!

Do you happen to know what version of XBMC is required to include the OPPO push playback support?
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 02-12-2015 at 08:33 PM.
post #20279 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
I'd love to hear your technical overview of this when you have time, as I think a lot of other Oppo owners would. I know quite a few have Roku 3 devices, and if they're using them on an hdmi input of an Oppo player, they may be unaware that the picture quality may not be the best that is possible via those devices if you say YCbCr color spaces will generally produce better picture quality on the Oppo's hdmi inputs.
OK, some more detail. First you definitely do not want to use a Source which is sending what is misleadingly called "Extended" RGB format -- what OPPO more accurately calls "RGB PC Level". Why? Because there's no way to configure the HDMI Inputs in the 10x players to expect that. The choice of RGB Video Level vs. RGB PC Level is not something that can be established by the HDMI handshake. It needs to be manually configured. And the OPPO Inputs are not capable of being configured to expect that incoming format -- evidently a hardware limitation. (For the technically inclined, you can't "fix" this simply by adjusting Contrast and Brightness, as the Color Space Math is also different between the two RGB formats.)

Second, if your Source is sending "Studio" RGB -- what OPPO calls "RGB Video Level" -- then there is a Color Space Math error if the Input Resolution is 720p or higher. This shows up most noticeably in Greens which are too dark. This has been known for quite some time, so I have to assume there is some hardware limitation which keeps this from being fixed. The error is not so blatant that it will jump out at you, but it's real.

The bottom line is that the HDMI Inputs work best if fed YCbCr (either 4:4:4 or 4:2:2). The issues here are on the INPUTS. There are no similar problems with the OUTPUTS.
--Bob

post #20280 of 20531 Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Now I have some work more work to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page