Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 679 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 732Likes

Old 02-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
I am now running my DirecTV Genie set to 'Native - On' through my Oppo, and it is a significant upgrade in video appearance. I am not experiencing all the resynch flashes and issues with setting the cable box you describe, either.

The only thing I do occasionally get is an audible sound when I pause and then hit play. Kind of a low pop, but it doesn't always happen. Small price for the much better video processing though...very happy with it right now.
Hmmmmm, if I was not dead set against a genie I would be tempted to give one a whirl..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
No you were right. I took a closer look and it was on my menu screen as well although I had to be within 2-3 feet to be able to see it clearly.....
Yes, apparently it's normal, it's just a low color depth image, not enough bits used to smooth it out and some displays are less forgiving than others in showing those image deficiencies. Which is a good thing, I'd rather have my display show the bad stuff instead of hiding it along with possibly hiding some of the good stuff. :-)
Chere likes this.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
But you must be getting the 2-3 second delay/black screen when switching between channels with different native resolutions (i.e. 720p to 1080i and vice versa). You can't avoid the hdmi handshake when channel surfing native video from your STB/DVR being fed to a source (Oppo or tv), unless all you watch is 1080i broadcast channels.
You're right... I do get this every once in a while. Right now it is not annoying enough to get me to roll this back. Not much of a surfer I guess. Usually watching something either DVR-ed or going right to a program or movie.

Time will tell I guess.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have an HR22 and the PQ is improved going through the 103. The only odd thing is when I pause/play the audio is delayed a few seconds. But after that, all is well.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
Is there any possibility that Oppo would add support for the new Sling TV/Dish programming in an upcoming firmware update ? Anything in the rumour mill ?

I'm tempted to give this a try at $20/month but really don't want to add another device to my system.
Tried it on my Roku stick plugged into my OPPO, but the interface is way too slow. That said, it could be my Harmony remote being wonky.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
Tried it on my Roku stick plugged into my OPPO, but the interface is way too slow. That said, it could be my Harmony remote being wonky.

Was it a 720p , 1080p @ 60hz or 1080p @ 24hz stream?
Old 02-17-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
Hmmmmm, if I was not dead set against a genie I would be tempted to give one a whirl..
Well, fwiw, I did just give the Genie a whirl (a week or two ago I swapped out my HD24 + HR24s), and a whole lot better for me. HR24 had dolby digital audio dropouts and a noisy (whirring, not clicking) spinning disk; it also ran very hot temperature. Never ever hear the Genie disk and haven't noticed any audio dropouts (although the install guy said he wasn't going to swap out the lnbs, I think he actually may have (it showed up on the install list)); plus little/no heat that I've noticed. Also the PQ seems a lot better, far less noise (or perhaps it's just hiding things better, hard to say at this point, but for the time being I don't particularly care).

Haven't tried the Genie via the Oppo, but not really seeing the need as of yet (the Oppo didn't seem to do a whole lot for me when I briefly tried it with the HD24 a year or so ago, PQ didn't really improve all that much, plus also probably experienced the same or similar symptoms to those you are seeing).

About the only thing I miss with the HD24 was a good bunch of content that I never quite got around to watching.

I think my electric bill may end up at least a little bit lower too, I remember how much it jumped around the same time I got the HD24 (when I first subscribed to directv).

Last edited by fmalczewski; 02-17-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I plug an Apple TV into Oppo-103 for streaming?

I have an older receiver used primarily for 2 channel audio. No HDMI ports. I want to add streaming for Spotify and apple airplay. Is it possible to plug an apple TV into one of the Oppo's HDMI in ports and then connect to the receiver over optical. How about a Roku Stick or Roku Box?
Old 02-18-2015, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don't see why not. I sometimes connect my tablet via HDMI and stream internet music. I have the optical out to a headphone amp, and analog L/R out to my amp for stereo. Why don't you want to use the onboard DAC and use the analog outs?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcars View Post
I don't see why not. I sometimes connect my tablet via HDMI and stream internet music. I have the optical out to a headphone amp, and analog L/R out to my amp for stereo. Why don't you want to use the onboard DAC and use the analog outs?

Will the Analog outs give better sound quality? I guess that is also an option. I was thinking the optical was a higher quality connection.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:21 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by brollend View Post
Will the Analog outs give better sound quality? I guess that is also an option. I was thinking the optical was a higher quality connection.
It all depends on how good the DAC in your receiver is compared to the DAC in the Oppo and whether you're using anything like room correction in the receiver.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 96
The Oppo's analog outputs are great

The Oppo has very good DACs - even in their less-expensive models. I use my Oppo 93's multichannel analog outs (set to put out 5.1) into my AVR and it sounds beautiful through a set of old Paradigm Studio 40s and 20s (along with their matching front center and sub) - and I listen to a lot of DVD-A disks and true 96/24 and 192/24 downloads, as well as concert disks and movies.

The Oppo replaced a Panasonic BD-50 (the first player to be able to decode DTS-HD MA) to bring my Blu-ray sound quality up to the level of my Denon 2910 (my prior DVD-A/SACD player), once I realized that even CDs sounded richer played on the Denon instead of the Panny.

That the image quality was better as well was an unexpected bonus, as was the Oppo's ability to stream music from my PC over my LAN, sounding as good as when I played the original disk - and avoided the need to burn disks at all from downloaded high def music I bought.

One thing you don't want to do is use the optical connection for surround, which knocks the connection back to lossy Dolby Digital. For surround there's no question - the analog ouput is better than optical or coaxial SP|DIF, which only has sufficient bandwidth for lossless stereo or mono.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
Well, fwiw, I did just give the Genie a whirl (a week or two ago I swapped out my HD24 + HR24s), and a whole lot better for me. HR24 had dolby digital audio dropouts and a noisy (whirring, not clicking) spinning disk; it also ran very hot temperature. Never ever hear the Genie disk and haven't noticed any audio dropouts (although the install guy said he wasn't going to swap out the lnbs, I think he actually may have (it showed up on the install list)); plus little/no heat that I've noticed. Also the PQ seems a lot better, far less noise (or perhaps it's just hiding things better, hard to say at this point, but for the time being I don't particularly care).

Haven't tried the Genie via the Oppo, but not really seeing the need as of yet (the Oppo didn't seem to do a whole lot for me when I briefly tried it with the HD24 a year or so ago, PQ didn't really improve all that much, plus also probably experienced the same or similar symptoms to those you are seeing).

About the only thing I miss with the HD24 was a good bunch of content that I never quite got around to watching.

I think my electric bill may end up at least a little bit lower too, I remember how much it jumped around the same time I got the HD24 (when I first subscribed to directv).
all of my hr 24's have upgraded hard drives and have been running like tops for YEARS. they are super quiet, I don't experience drop outs and have no issues with them. My only gripe for the genie is if it dies then you lose all of your recordings! If there was a price savings then i might consider it, but there is not...
Old 02-18-2015, 12:55 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Questions for people who bought the Roku Streaming stick

Hello,

I see the Roku Streaming stick is now sold through Oppo. I use my Oppo most of the time to stream MKV files (I don't care about streaming neflix, amazon or games). I'm curious if I should get the Roku.

1. It says you use your Oppo remote - so I can control it with an IR remote such as my Harmony One?
2. Does it use the Oppos Ethernet or do you need wireless?
3. Any issues with streaming MKV audio - does it play DTS-MA as DTS-MA, TrueHD as TrueHD etc?
4. Does it stream MKV LPCM? (The Oppo does not as is).
5. Does it playback streamed MKV subtitles? The Oppo does not let you stream MKV subs or forced subs.
6. Is the Visual quality the same? The oppo video quality for streamed MKVs is excellent.
7. Is it an additional icon within the Oppo menu? Any pictures would be great.

Any additional info you can give regarding using the Roku in conjunction with the Oppo for streaming MKV files would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Hello,

I see the Roku Streaming stick is now sold through Oppo. I use my Oppo most of the time to stream MKV files (I don't care about streaming neflix, amazon or games). I'm curious if I should get the Roku.

1. It says you use your Oppo remote - so I can control it with an IR remote such as my Harmony One?
3. Any issues with streaming MKV audio - does it play DTS-MA as DTS-MA, TrueHD as TrueHD etc?
5. Does it playback streamed MKV subtitles? The Oppo does not let you stream MKV subs or forced subs.
6. Is the Visual quality the same? The oppo video quality for streamed MKVs is excellent.

Any additional info you can give regarding using the Roku in conjunction with the Oppo for streaming MKV files would be appreciated.
I got the one sold via Oppo and now I regret it because they have the HDMI version now that would be more versatile whereas the one from Oppo can only be used on the Oppo (and other limited devices that support MHL).

lujan
75 Ultra HD
832 HD
19 HD DVD
7 SD

Last edited by lujan; 02-19-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Hello,

There may be some confusion here.
1) The RSS -MHL version is controlled by the player's remote
2) The Stick must use its own wireless networking, and supports both 2.4 and 5GHz bands.
3, 4, 5) The RSS is not a media playback device unless you use one of the channels that does this, like Plex. Whatever functionality it has will be controlled by that app and usually depends on a networked PC running server software. Again, the Roku has no native support for streaming local media files.
6) The RSS scales 480 to 1080, and can passthrough 720 and 1080.
7) The Roku icon appears on the Oppo Home screen and is selected like any of the available apps.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I got the one sold via Oppo and now I regret it because they have the HDMI version now that would be more versatile whereas the one from Oppo can only be used on the Oppo.
This is incorrect. The MHL version of the RSS can be used on any MHL supporting device. Mine works on my AVR as well as it does the Oppo.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
It all depends on how good the DAC in your receiver is compared to the DAC in the Oppo and whether you're using anything like room correction in the receiver.
True. In my case, I think the analog outs sound great, but my amp doesn't have optical inputs so I can't compare. If you have both, just try both and compare for your situation. Experimenting is half the fun!
Old 02-18-2015, 02:02 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There may be some confusion here.
1) The RSS -MHL version is controlled by the player's remote
2) The Stick must use its own wireless networking, and supports both 2.4 and 5GHz bands.
3, 4, 5) The RSS is not a media playback device unless you use one of the channels that does this, like Plex. Whatever functionality it has will be controlled by that app and usually depends on a networked PC running server software. Again, the Roku has no native support for streaming local media files.
6) The RSS scales 480 to 1080, and can passthrough 720 and 1080.
7) The Roku icon appears on the Oppo Home screen and is selected like any of the available apps.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Again all my questions pertain to streaming MKV files via DLNA.
1. Since I can control my oppo with the oppo remote I take it I should be able to use my Logitech remote?
2. That is a shame that it doesn't take advantage of the Oppo Ethernet wired connection for guaranteed streaming of large files such as BD MKV files.
3. Since I'm streaming via DLNA from my PC the question remains - will it handle DTS-MA, TrueHD from streamed MKV files and play them back as DTS-MA or TrueHD?
4. Does it handle streamed LPCM audio files?
5. Does it playback streamed MKV file subtitles? Forced subbed?
6. Any issues with feedback, artifacts or any other issues that make streamed MKV playback via the Roku of lower quality that streaming through the Oppo without Roku?
7. An additional icon on the Oppo makes sense.

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 159
The Roku sticks (and any other Roku device) do not do streaming from your computer.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:43 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
The Roku sticks (and any other Roku device) do not do streaming from your computer.
It is mentioned a few times that you can put channels/apps on them for streaming from DLNA sources.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
all of my hr 24's have upgraded hard drives and have been running like tops for YEARS. they are super quiet, I don't experience drop outs and have no issues with them. My only gripe for the genie is if it dies then you lose all of your recordings! If there was a price savings then i might consider it, but there is not...
And you don't lose all of your recordings if the 24 dies? News to me, I thought the dvr recordings could only be used with the specific hardware they were recorded with.

Regardless, I was never a happy camper with my 24 setup, so aside from some of the content that went away with it (oh well, there's always plenty more where that came from, more than I'll ever be able to deal with), it's all better. At least for now.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
This is incorrect. The MHL version of the RSS can be used on any MHL supporting device. Mine works on my AVR as well as it does the Oppo.
Yeah, but I never heard of MHL until Oppo and the HDMI version can be used on far more devices.

lujan
75 Ultra HD
832 HD
19 HD DVD
7 SD
Old 02-18-2015, 04:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Yeah, but I never heard of MHL until Oppo and the HDMI version can be used on far more devices.
It's still an HDMI connection, MHL(Mobile High Definition Link) just means it has to be powered by the device it's connected to.

But I see what you're saying, the non-MHL version is more versatile, as long as you have some AC power from somewhere.

Last edited by Keenan; 02-18-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oppo BD-103: Buy now or wait?

Any scuttlebutt about a 103/D replacement/upgrade coming down the pipe soon? I always end-up a late adopter, usually right when the new model tends to be released.

My two faithful Pioneer BDP-51FD's are starting to refuse to play new BD's (i.e., UNKNOWN DISC) and there's no new FW update since 8/13, with no more updates likely. I hate to spend the cashish if I don't have to, but I tend to keep my stuff and I want something worthy of my 9th-gen Kuro PDP, not a throw-away Samsung/LG-of-the-month player.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1899 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmh364 View Post
Any scuttlebutt about a 103/D replacement/upgrade coming down the pipe soon? I always end-up a late adopter, usually right when the new model tends to be released.
No news. We presume the next player will support 4k Blu-ray, which hasn't appeared yet. OPPO has said not this year, and maybe not next year.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 02-19-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It's still an HDMI connection, MHL(Mobile High Definition Link) just means it has to be powered by the device it's connected to.

But I see what you're saying, the non-MHL version is more versatile, as long as you have some AC power from somewhere.
Thanks, I edited my OP to hopefully be more accurate.

lujan
75 Ultra HD
832 HD
19 HD DVD
7 SD
Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
One thing you don't want to do is use the optical connection for surround, which knocks the connection back to lossy Dolby Digital. For surround there's no question - the analog ouput is better than optical or coaxial SP|DIF, which only has sufficient bandwidth for lossless stereo or mono.
This is not to argue with anything in your rather detailed and useful post but I will echo what gsr said:

"It all depends on how good the DAC in your receiver is compared to the DAC in the Oppo and whether you're using anything like room correction in the receiver."

I have for the most part bypassed my analog outputs and lossless audio because to my ears, my receiver does a much better job with the lossy audio over optical than I'm able to achieve tweaking the analogue outputs in the OPPO myself. This is partly because I live in an apartment where I don't often push the limits of the system but still...

Lossless audio's superiority, like many other things, is only guaranteed when all other things are equal. If you have the option of analog inputs on your AVR, then you should definitely try them out. But optical can still have its uses for those of us with high-end non-HDMI receivers.

Last edited by warrian; 02-19-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Again all my questions pertain to streaming MKV files via DLNA.

2. That is a shame that it doesn't take advantage of the Oppo Ethernet wired connection for guaranteed streaming of large files such as BD MKV files.

Thanks again.
This is my only complaint with the Roku stick (Oppo version); I use a wired connection also, and get much better streaming capability with the Oppo 103 Netflix app then streaming thru the Roku stick ( I get stuttering). I went with the Roku stick because it is capable of 1080P/24 whereas the Oppo Netflix app doesn't......

Anthem MRX-500,Outlaw 7500
Oppo BDP-103
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts,Paradigm Studio ADP-590 Surrounds
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center
Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer
DIRECTV Genie DVR
Old 02-19-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post
This is not to argue with anything in your rather detailed and useful post but I will echo what gsr said:

"It all depends on how good the DAC in your receiver is compared to the DAC in the Oppo and whether you're using anything like room correction in the receiver."

I have for the most part bypassed my analog outputs and lossless audio because to my ears, my receiver does a much better job with the lossy audio over optical than I'm able to achieve tweaking the analogue outputs in the OPPO myself. This is partly because I live in an apartment where I don't often push the limits of the system but still...

Lossless audio's superiority, like many other things, is only guaranteed when all other things are equal. If you have the option of analog inputs on your AVR, then you should definitely try them out. But optical can still have its uses for those of us with high-end non-HDMI receivers.
I understand completely, since my AVR is an old pre-HDMI Yamaha RX-V457. I use its multichannel analog input to connect my Oppo, but for Amazon Prime I connect its optical input to an Amazon Fire TV that can be set to transcode Amazon's (and Netflix's) Dolby Digital Plus (which requires HDMI) to classic Dolby Digital for its optical output.

One virtue of my old AVR is that it's a relatively unusual one that gives its Multichannel Analog input the benefit of the distance settings, bass management, and channel level trims applied to its other inputs, so those don't have to be set up separately inside the player.

I just took another look at the original question by brollend and saw that the post was asking about (a) stereo use and (b) streaming from an Apple TV. For those applications, optical would be fine, since (a) for stereo, optical can carry lossless PCM and (b) anything streamed by an Apple TV, a Roku, or a Fire TV is going to be lossy surround to start with. DD+ may be better than DD, but it's still lossy.
warrian likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc