Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 682 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 434Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #20431 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 8,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3527 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg View Post
I emailed support so we shall see what they come back with. What do you mean by the playlist not being available when java is running? You mean when the main menu is up on the bluray player and I have to hit "play/select" that that is java running at that time? If so at some point the pointer to the playlist has to be passed over the the main software when the actual movie starts. The player must know the info at that point so it should be able to give you that status, right? Unless this is called out in the licensing agreement that they can't do this or something like that???

jcg
Maybe it is possible if you can download yourself a new application software into your 103. ...Would be cool if this would be permissible.
Bu-ray players of the future would allow you to download your own apps into your BD player. ...Voice operated remote commands, playlists for all your movies and music, etc.

With 4K and 3D picture, plus 3D sound (Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and Auro-3D internal decoders).

And later on, 8K with Holographic 4D picture and sound.

Last edited by NorthSky; 02-20-2015 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
NorthSky is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #20432 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg View Post
But the BDP-103 had the BD license to make a bluray player, right? So inside the BDP-103 they must be able to tell what playlist is being selected when the user clicks on "play", right? Or am I missing something here?

jcg
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Licensing restrictions: I don't know, but nothing the BDA could do would surprise me.

My java speculations are just that. The player may not even be seeing the physical disc contents, but rather a virtual view that the java program on disc provides.

That may be right or wrong, but in any case the player does not currently do what you want.

-Bill
I think Bill is barking up the right tree here. When a BD loads, the player is essentially loading a JAVA program. I doubt the player can even detect what playlist is being used. In short, the JAVA is bypassing the normal navigation instructions that a "normal" BD uses.

In any case, if a player was able to display the info you need to bypass copy protections, its a safe bet the player would lose its BD license in a hurry.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #20433 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
seggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WNY
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
That seems very very interesting. Could you please provide more specific information about this; like how to proceed, what he needs, or a link?

* Because he needs an Ethernet jack nearby his AC outlet. ...He's no expert on stuff like that, but he would love to have no cable running on his living room's floor, that's for sure. And he doesn't want to redecorate his room either.

Yes, he has two power sockets behind his Oppo 103, the closest one @ about three feet; protected from the dog access, with barb wires.
I haven't done it, so I am not an expert in these things. However, a quick search brings up a fair few ideas....

Seggers

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...e+%2Caps%2C223

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
seggers is online now  
post #20434 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
....

No more happy dude now. ...He simply gave up all together streaming Netflix from his wifi dongle that came up with his Oppo 103 BD player.
Now he watches movies from his VCR and puts his VHS movie tapes in it. ...Plus he also has some DVDs and Blu-ray movies he can still play in his 103.
That's a massive downgrade! Going from Hi-Def 1080 to cheesy VCR 240 lines?

Quote:
......His dog is like a real animal, voracious and ferocious both @ the same time. ...With teeth that penetrate almost anything, even metal cans.
Dude, you're cracking me up. So he is a real animal? I thought the dog was one of those battery-operated Christmas deals.
Joke aside, tell him to do two things:
1.) Reset the Oppo via menu
2.) Hardwired the s.o.b. with a Cat5 (no pun-intended) or call his ISP to upgrade.
80sGuy is offline  
post #20435 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 8,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3527 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
I haven't done it, so I am not an expert in these things. However, a quick search brings up a fair few ideas....

Seggers

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...e+%2Caps%2C223
That's worth testing I think; thank you for something new to me. ...I'll mention it to him.
NorthSky is online now  
post #20436 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 8,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3527 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
That's a massive downgrade! Going from Hi-Def 1080 to cheesy VCR 240 lines?
♦ More precisely: From 720p to 240i (and even down to 188i). But not only that; with the movie constantly stopping and buffering forever.

Quote:
Dude, you're cracking me up. So he is a real animal? I thought the dog was one of those battery-operated Christmas deals.
Joke aside, tell him to do two things:
1.) Reset the Oppo via menu
2.) Hardwired the s.o.b. with a Cat5 (no pun-intended) or call his ISP to upgrade.
♦ You can call me Bob; I'm not the Dude (The Big Lebowski).

I do tend to exaggerate sometime (but extremely rarely), just to make a point.

1. Do you mean a total reset? ...Where is it exactly in the setup menu; which section, and what it does exactly, is it dangerous/safe?

2. I told him to dump his Internet service provider and switch to another. ..That way they won't collect his money every month no more, and instead he'll give it to another company who knows how serviceable and supportive and accommodating they are. ...And for how long and how much.
Plus they all aware of your streaming/surfing Internet habits...that's how they make money anyway.

Changes are good sometimes; they help create newer and better habits, and with more knowledge from experience.
Besides, Netflix is a carnivorous dog too, with a limited, controlled, and greedy bite.
And Nextyear Nextflix might not even be here no more; it's an endangered species.

We need better than that, we are better than that, the year is 2015.
And the next evolution/generation of Oppo BD players will reflect that newer/better trend.
Things can only get better, we have no more time to be living in the past with prehistoric habits.
Don't you also agree?
NorthSky is online now  
post #20437 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 8,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3527 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
One more thing; the other day you know what he said to me?

"Bob, I love my Oppo 103; it's the only BD player with HDMI inputs."
NorthSky is online now  
post #20438 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Member
 
Tgterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
By using the HDMI 2 connected to your AVR. ...And your TV's HDMI source is your AVR (HDMI Out from your AVR).

Then, after you checked your AVR's menu setups and all, just switch back to the other source (Oppo player - HDMI 1) connected directly to your display.

Brief, you alternate the HDMI inputs of your TV. ...One is from your AVR and the other from your Oppo, directly.
And the one from your AVR is the one that gives you access to its menus and OSD. ...All from your HDTV's (display) own HDMI sources (inputs).

Ah, well...I think I may have hit a showstopper. I rewired this way, and all is good...except you can no longer see the AVR display of the volume increase/decrease when viewing through my Panny's HDMI 1 input (AVR OSD is now going through Panny's HDMI 2). So, I think the other residents of my household are going to be perturbed if they have to switch the TV inputs just to see the volume level.

I don't think there is a way around this one, but I am open to ideas...thanks for any thoughts!




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tgterm is offline  
post #20439 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 8,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3527 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Lol, the volume OSD (and the source and the audio listening mode too) are on the front panel display of your receiver anyway.

But I know what you mean; know this though --> any OSD on your display has a small detrimental effect on the overall picture quality, generally.

* Your receiver's OSD (when that feature is activated), it will display on your screen from all its HDMI inputs, and through its HDMI output(s).
It's up to you (and your family's own pleasure) to see or not the volume level on your main screen. ...Plus the source playing, the audio listening mode, the setup menus, all that stuff.

Only when going from your Oppo player directly to your HDTV that you won't get your receiver's OSD. ...HDMI 1 output.
But from its HDMI 2 out going to one of your receiver's HDMI inputs, and selecting the appropriate/corresponding HDMI source on your HDTV, you have all the OSD you want.

Say your Oppo's HDMI 1 Out is connected directly to your HDTV's HDMI 1 Input. ...For quality picture viewing.
And your Oppo's HDMI 2 Out is connected to your AVR's HDMI 2 Input, and then your AVR's HDMI 1 Output is connected to your HDTV's HDMI 2 Input. ...Full OSD access.

Like I said before; it's only a question of which source (HDMI input) you select in your HDTV.

And, if you have a universal remote control (Harmony, Universal, etc.) with programmable Activities (from your PC or Mac), you can do pretty much anything your family's heart desires. And even use your smartphone or iPhone as your remote.

Everything is there, everything you have, everything in life you can have; it's only a simple question to organize it and select the right source.
Your AVR's OSD included. ...With volume level showing for all in your household.
NorthSky is online now  
post #20440 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,574
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Northsky, I haven't seen any mention the your friend reset his player to factory default setting,
or tried to reflash the firmware via USB, or erased the Netflix settings in the player and then reactivated the player for Netflix.
Those are all pretty standard troubleshooting techniques when it comes to that kind of stuff.

6 Mbps is pretty low for his ISP speed, and who knows if it even stays that high all the time.
I would also suggest he find a way to get a higher speed, and the advice of using a hard-wired ethernet connection is also good.
Although, fwiw, I have tried doing Netflix with the wireless dongle and it was pretty much the same as the hardwired connection.
I seriously doubt that the wireless connection is your issue, however you can also introduce interference for wireless signals.
If he has a plasma tv, he could be introducing IR flooding, or if he has any fluorescent lighting in the room or close by,
that can also interfere with wireless and IR signals.
So, that reinforces the notion that a hard-wired connect may be better, but at the same time no necessarily, it just depends.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #20441 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
^^Internet throttling is also another issue if there are more than one or two other devices under the same household connected to this low (6mbps) speed.
80sGuy is offline  
post #20442 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 8,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3527 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Dave, he did the firmware update directly from the Internet (Ethernet wire). ...And then he did a reset of all his settings to factory default.
And then he manually reset them all over again (he wrote them before).

He had a USB stick connected to his player when he did all that (firmware update), and he said that on that USB stick there were three files (Audio, Video, and Volume).
But those files were closed and could not be open. He doesn't know anything about that, they just appeared suddenly like that on his USB stick.

1. How do you reflash the firmware via USB? ...He would have to do the same firmware update again? ...And this time download it first into a USB stick?

2. How do you erase the Netflix settings to reactivate it?

You have a link on those "standard troubleshooting techniques"? Is it in the manual, online?
NorthSky is online now  
post #20443 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
^^They are in Setup Menu page>Device Setup. Pretty self-explanatory once you see it.
80sGuy is offline  
post #20444 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Member
 
spawnofwar1600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
When it comes to selecting 'post processing' options on a TV when watching Blu-ray disc movies you don't need to be a Sony TV owner to answer that question, as it's the same answer for all 'quality' TV's... It's turn it 'off'!
Cinemotion does deinterlacing,oppo has that option too in hdmi options auto,film or video.
do movies at 1080p 24fps require deinterlacing? Or it's just for 1080i material?
This was confusing me a bit
spawnofwar1600 is offline  
post #20445 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 8,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3527 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post
Cinemotion does deinterlacing,oppo has that option too in hdmi options auto,film or video.
do movies at 1080p 24fps require deinterlacing? Or it's just for 1080i material?
This was confusing me a bit
You leave it @ "Auto".

- Blu-ray movies (Film) are @ 1080p (98.5% roughly).
- Blu-ray music video concerts (Video) are @ 1080i (vast majority). ...De-interlacing happens here, and the "Auto" setting will take care of it.
NorthSky is online now  
post #20446 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 08:55 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post
Cinemotion does deinterlacing,oppo has that option too in hdmi options auto,film or video.
do movies at 1080p 24fps require deinterlacing? Or it's just for 1080i material?
This was confusing me a bit
No, 1080p24 is progressive and does not need deinterlacing. If you are using 1080p resolution in the player then it does whatever deinterlacing is required for DVDs and 1080i Blu-ray (or other) sources. So the display does not do any deinterlacing in that case.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #20447 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 8,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3527 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
They are in Setup Menu page>Device Setup. Pretty self-explanatory once you see it.
We checked.

Device Setup:

- Cache Media Info: On

- Persistent Storage: * Storage Device => Internal Flash
* Space Used => 0 MB
* Erase Persistent Storage

- Netflix: 1. Netflix ESN
2. De-activate Netflix

- Settings Management: 1. Backup Settings
2. Restore Settings

- Reset Factory Defaults

____________

Network Setup:

- Internet Connection: Wireless

- Wireless Setting: 1. [Use Previous]
2. [Start New]

- IP Setting: Auto (DHCP)

- Proxy Setting: Off

- Connection Test => OK

____________
____________

Now, what's best to do for him in order to regain Netflix @ 720p like it was before?
...Which setting(s) to change or click on.
NorthSky is online now  
post #20448 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 09:43 PM
Member
 
spawnofwar1600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
No, 1080p24 is progressive and does not need deinterlacing. If you are using 1080p resolution in the player then it does whatever deinterlacing is required for DVDs and 1080i Blu-ray (or other) sources. So the display does not do any deinterlacing in that case.

-Bill
Got it thanks!
spawnofwar1600 is offline  
post #20449 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 09:46 PM
Member
 
spawnofwar1600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
You leave it @ "Auto".

- Blu-ray movies (Film) are @ 1080p (98.5% roughly).
- Blu-ray music video concerts (Video) are @ 1080i (vast majority). ...De-interlacing happens here, and the "Auto" setting will take care of it.
Yeah I have it on auto,thanks
spawnofwar1600 is offline  
post #20450 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Member
 
Tgterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Lol, the volume OSD (and the source and the audio listening mode too) are on the front panel display of your receiver anyway.

But I know what you mean; know this though --> any OSD on your display has a small detrimental effect on the overall picture quality, generally.

* Your receiver's OSD (when that feature is activated), it will display on your screen from all its HDMI inputs, and through its HDMI output(s).
It's up to you (and your family's own pleasure) to see or not the volume level on your main screen. ...Plus the source playing, the audio listening mode, the setup menus, all that stuff.

Only when going from your Oppo player directly to your HDTV that you won't get your receiver's OSD. ...HDMI 1 output.
But from its HDMI 2 out going to one of your receiver's HDMI inputs, and selecting the appropriate/corresponding HDMI source on your HDTV, you have all the OSD you want.

Say your Oppo's HDMI 1 Out is connected directly to your HDTV's HDMI 1 Input. ...For quality picture viewing.
And your Oppo's HDMI 2 Out is connected to your AVR's HDMI 2 Input, and then your AVR's HDMI 1 Output is connected to your HDTV's HDMI 2 Input. ...Full OSD access.

Like I said before; it's only a question of which source (HDMI input) you select in your HDTV.

And, if you have a universal remote control (Harmony, Universal, etc.) with programmable Activities (from your PC or Mac), you can do pretty much anything your family's heart desires. And even use your smartphone or iPhone as your remote.

Everything is there, everything you have, everything in life you can have; it's only a simple question to organize it and select the right source.
Your AVR's OSD included. ...With volume level showing for all in your household.

Well, after watching tonight...I think I am leaving it this way! Picture and sound quality is just too good. Plus, I can check volume levels on my iPad Marantz app in a pinch...or on HDMI 2 as you said.

I'll deal with the family later......basically a training issue!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tgterm is offline  
post #20451 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 8,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3527 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Lol, good show.
NorthSky is online now  
post #20452 of 20627 Old 02-20-2015, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,574
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
We checked.

Device Setup:

- Cache Media Info: On

- Persistent Storage: * Storage Device => Internal Flash
* Space Used => 0 MB
* Erase Persistent Storage

- Netflix: 1. Netflix ESN
2. De-activate Netflix

- Settings Management: 1. Backup Settings
2. Restore Settings

- Reset Factory Defaults

____________

Network Setup:

- Internet Connection: Wireless

- Wireless Setting: 1. [Use Previous]
2. [Start New]

- IP Setting: Auto (DHCP)

- Proxy Setting: Off

- Connection Test => OK

____________
____________

Now, what's best to do for him in order to regain Netflix @ 720p like it was before?
...Which setting(s) to change or click on.
See you found how to deactivate NF from the player.
I would try that first, then once it's done, power cycle the player in Energy Efficient mode (change to EE if it's on Quick Start).
Then when he goes to use NF again, he will have to activate the player on his NF account again.
He needs to also check his NF settings in his account on the NF website.
It does have some settings in there that can make a difference.

I'm a stickler though when it comes to troubleshooting this kind of stuff.
I like to start at the very beginning and re-do everything to make sure all Ts are crossed and Is dotted.
I would deactivate NF, then reset the player to default, then power cycle and reflash firmware,
reset to default again and power cycle again, then re-activate NF.
In between deactivating NF and reinstalling the fw, I would also do a full power cycle of my router/modem system too.
Sounds like PITA I know, but when I do all that then I know I pretty much tried everything and don't have to work backwards
trying different things.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #20453 of 20627 Old 02-21-2015, 09:40 AM
Member
 
genegold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
One annoying thing I've noticed with the 103 and 103D and video files off a USB stick is 1x fast reverse runs much faster than it should, I'm guessing something like 3x or 4x. Hard to keep up with. Oppo support says it's something they are aware of but haven't found a solution for. Seems kind of strange, since other media players I've used - Patriot Box Office, KDLinks 720 and Seagate - don't have this problem.

I've also found that video files run fast forward or reverse will occasionally freeze when switched back to normal speed. The solution is to either stop the video and start again if the machine allows, or turn it off completely and restart. With the latter, the Oppo reverts to the input that started the session, often the TV for me. Not convinced it's a file problem as opposed to the Oppo's.

Beyond that, I made the suggestions below to improve ease of use with USB files, ones that are common to media players, and got the response that others had asked for them to. Wish Oppo would get onto them. Maybe we need a write-in campaign.

- Add a 1.5x speed to fast forward and fast back
- Keep sound active up to 2x speed forward on video files (as on
music)
- USB file listing: allow continuous scrolling, i.e., moving up from top
item goes to the bottom of the list, and vice versa
- "i" / Info screen: would help to have the file name
genegold is offline  
post #20454 of 20627 Old 02-21-2015, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have the same complaint. It is very frustrating when trying to |<< or >>| to a scene just to find out that it jumps more than it should. The thing that annoys me most is when it freezes (with that endless 50% spinning circle). Only way to 'defrost' this thing is to power OFF, then ON. These were the lists of complaints I posted earlier somewhere either on this or the 103 Darbee thread.. They were also sent to Oppo. Like I said, this is one expensive piece of equipment to garner such behaviors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genegold View Post
One annoying thing I've noticed with the 103 and 103D and video files off a USB stick is 1x fast reverse runs much faster than it should, I'm guessing something like 3x or 4x. Hard to keep up with. Oppo support says it's something they are aware of but haven't found a solution for. Seems kind of strange, since other media players I've used - Patriot Box Office, KDLinks 720 and Seagate - don't have this problem.

I've also found that video files run fast forward or reverse will occasionally freeze when switched back to normal speed. The solution is to either stop the video and start again if the machine allows, or turn it off completely and restart. With the latter, the Oppo reverts to the input that started the session, often the TV for me. Not convinced it's a file problem as opposed to the Oppo's.

Beyond that, I made the suggestions below to improve ease of use with USB files, ones that are common to media players, and got the response that others had asked for them to. Wish Oppo would get onto them. Maybe we need a write-in campaign.

- Add a 1.5x speed to fast forward and fast back
- Keep sound active up to 2x speed forward on video files (as on
music)
- USB file listing: allow continuous scrolling, i.e., moving up from top
item goes to the bottom of the list, and vice versa
- "i" / Info screen: would help to have the file name
80sGuy is offline  
post #20455 of 20627 Old 02-21-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 1,974
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
I have the same complaint. It is very frustrating when trying to |<< or >>| to a scene just to find out that it jumps more than it should. The thing that annoys me most is when it freezes (with that endless 50% spinning circle). Only way to 'defrost' this thing is to power OFF, then ON. These were the lists of complaints I posted earlier somewhere either on this or the 103 Darbee thread.. They were also sent to Oppo. Like I said, this is one expensive piece of equipment to garner such behaviors.
This is not normal behaviour...

And as mentioned to you before I personally don't have any issues with chapter navigation. Meaning, there must be something specific to your set-up which is causing your issues!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #20456 of 20627 Old 02-21-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 8,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3527 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
See you found how to deactivate NF from the player.
I would try that first, then once it's done, power cycle the player in Energy Efficient mode (change to EE if it's on Quick Start).
Then when he goes to use NF again, he will have to activate the player on his NF account again.
He needs to also check his NF settings in his account on the NF website.
It does have some settings in there that can make a difference.

I'm a stickler though when it comes to troubleshooting this kind of stuff.
I like to start at the very beginning and re-do everything to make sure all Ts are crossed and Is dotted.
I would deactivate NF, then reset the player to default, then power cycle and reflash firmware,
reset to default again and power cycle again, then re-activate NF.
In between deactivating NF and reinstalling the fw, I would also do a full power cycle of my router/modem system too.
Sounds like PITA I know, but when I do all that then I know I pretty much tried everything and don't have to work backwards
trying different things.
1. Turn the Oppo 103 On
2. De-activate Netflix
3. Reset his Oppo 103 to Factory Defaults
4. Turn the Oppo Off (in Energy Efficient mode)
5. Reactivate Netflix on his NF account
6. Check settings on his NF account
7. Power Cycle (Oppo Off, and On again)
8. Reflash Firmware How you do that; which setting is that?
9. Reset to Factory Defaults again
10. Power cycle again (Oppo Off, then On again)
11. Re-activate Netflix again
12. Between deactivating Netflix and reinstalling the firmare update; do a full power cycle of the router/modem.
He has to reinstall the firmware update again like he did before, with the Ethernet wire?

<<<>>> Could you please use step by step (1 to 12), but this time exactly the way he should do; because this is very unclear what I just enumerated above. ...Way too confusing. ...The order is not right; few missteps here, I can smell.

The only thing he wants is Netflix, and all that stuff to get Netflix back like the way it was ... might as well take a trip in the Bermuda triangle @ the edge of the Cuban coastline. ...It can truly drives someone to the precipice of insanity.

Yes, the steps have to be real clear; one @ a time, and the two questions highlighted in red answered first.
Because right now it looks like a recipe for total disaster and a high risk to brick his Oppo 103 player.
Anyone here has ever done the twelve steps just above? ...No way; they are not in the right sequential order, and too unclear.
...Clearer instructions would be needed in order to fix Netflix. ...And without bricking his machine.

What a life!

Last edited by NorthSky; 02-21-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: life
NorthSky is online now  
post #20457 of 20627 Old 02-21-2015, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sorry, I should be more specific and meant << >> jumping more than it should, but you're right, |<< >>| is another story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
This is not normal behaviour...

And as mentioned to you before I personally don't have any issues with chapter navigation. Meaning, there must be something specific to your set-up which is causing your issues!
80sGuy is offline  
post #20458 of 20627 Old 02-21-2015, 01:57 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member
 
jcg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so there is a way to do this that I found searching different threads. Google "bluray playlist obfuscation youtube" and the first link will be a youtube video showing you how to use Process Monitor v3.1 and any PC DVD player software (he's using PowerDVD v14) to get the correct playlist for any Bluray disc. Hope this is helpful for others!

I'm guessing the PowerDVD must get a license to use the java code that figures out what playlist to play just like a bluray player would use.

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I think Bill is barking up the right tree here. When a BD loads, the player is essentially loading a JAVA program. I doubt the player can even detect what playlist is being used. In short, the JAVA is bypassing the normal navigation instructions that a "normal" BD uses.

In any case, if a player was able to display the info you need to bypass copy protections, its a safe bet the player would lose its BD license in a hurry.
jcg is offline  
post #20459 of 20627 Old 02-21-2015, 03:31 PM
Newbie
 
jwmumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Connecting Oppo BDP-103 to a MAC

After trying for several hours to connect my Oppo BDP-103 to my iMac, I thought I would try the experts on AVS. I have file sharing on, and I can see my Mac on my Oppo, but when I try to connect, it asks for a User Name and Password, of which I tried and I get an error every time. Does anyone know how to connect (or is it not possible) the BDP-103 to a Mac? I would like to stream HD files (and other music files) from my Mac to the BDP-103.

Thank you!
jwmumm is offline  
post #20460 of 20627 Old 02-21-2015, 03:37 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmumm View Post
After trying for several hours to connect my Oppo BDP-103 to my iMac, I thought I would try the experts on AVS. I have file sharing on, and I can see my Mac on my Oppo, but when I try to connect, it asks for a User Name and Password, of which I tried and I get an error every time. Does anyone know how to connect (or is it not possible) the BDP-103 to a Mac? I would like to stream HD files (and other music files) from my Mac to the BDP-103.

Thank you!
Welcome to AVSForum.

If you can't get SMB file sharing to work, try a DLNA server. Twonky is cross platform and people report quick results with it.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off