Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 682 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 461Likes

post #20431 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 1619
One more thing; the other day you know what he said to me?

"Bob, I love my Oppo 103; it's the only BD player with HDMI inputs."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20432 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
By using the HDMI 2 connected to your AVR. ...And your TV's HDMI source is your AVR (HDMI Out from your AVR).

Then, after you checked your AVR's menu setups and all, just switch back to the other source (Oppo player - HDMI 1) connected directly to your display.

Brief, you alternate the HDMI inputs of your TV. ...One is from your AVR and the other from your Oppo, directly.
And the one from your AVR is the one that gives you access to its menus and OSD. ...All from your HDTV's (display) own HDMI sources (inputs).

Ah, well...I think I may have hit a showstopper. I rewired this way, and all is good...except you can no longer see the AVR display of the volume increase/decrease when viewing through my Panny's HDMI 1 input (AVR OSD is now going through Panny's HDMI 2). So, I think the other residents of my household are going to be perturbed if they have to switch the TV inputs just to see the volume level.

I don't think there is a way around this one, but I am open to ideas...thanks for any thoughts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #20433 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Lol, the volume OSD (and the source and the audio listening mode too) are on the front panel display of your receiver anyway.

But I know what you mean; know this though --> any OSD on your display has a small detrimental effect on the overall picture quality, generally.

* Your receiver's OSD (when that feature is activated), it will display on your screen from all its HDMI inputs, and through its HDMI output(s).
It's up to you (and your family's own pleasure) to see or not the volume level on your main screen. ...Plus the source playing, the audio listening mode, the setup menus, all that stuff.

Only when going from your Oppo player directly to your HDTV that you won't get your receiver's OSD. ...HDMI 1 output.
But from its HDMI 2 out going to one of your receiver's HDMI inputs, and selecting the appropriate/corresponding HDMI source on your HDTV, you have all the OSD you want.

Say your Oppo's HDMI 1 Out is connected directly to your HDTV's HDMI 1 Input. ...For quality picture viewing.
And your Oppo's HDMI 2 Out is connected to your AVR's HDMI 2 Input, and then your AVR's HDMI 1 Output is connected to your HDTV's HDMI 2 Input. ...Full OSD access.

Like I said before; it's only a question of which source (HDMI input) you select in your HDTV.

And, if you have a universal remote control (Harmony, Universal, etc.) with programmable Activities (from your PC or Mac), you can do pretty much anything your family's heart desires. And even use your smartphone or iPhone as your remote.

Everything is there, everything you have, everything in life you can have; it's only a simple question to organize it and select the right source.
Your AVR's OSD included. ...With volume level showing for all in your household.
post #20434 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Northsky, I haven't seen any mention the your friend reset his player to factory default setting,
or tried to reflash the firmware via USB, or erased the Netflix settings in the player and then reactivated the player for Netflix.
Those are all pretty standard troubleshooting techniques when it comes to that kind of stuff.

6 Mbps is pretty low for his ISP speed, and who knows if it even stays that high all the time.
I would also suggest he find a way to get a higher speed, and the advice of using a hard-wired ethernet connection is also good.
Although, fwiw, I have tried doing Netflix with the wireless dongle and it was pretty much the same as the hardwired connection.
I seriously doubt that the wireless connection is your issue, however you can also introduce interference for wireless signals.
If he has a plasma tv, he could be introducing IR flooding, or if he has any fluorescent lighting in the room or close by,
that can also interfere with wireless and IR signals.
So, that reinforces the notion that a hard-wired connect may be better, but at the same time no necessarily, it just depends.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #20435 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 27
^^Internet throttling is also another issue if there are more than one or two other devices under the same household connected to this low (6mbps) speed.
post #20436 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dave, he did the firmware update directly from the Internet (Ethernet wire). ...And then he did a reset of all his settings to factory default.
And then he manually reset them all over again (he wrote them before).

He had a USB stick connected to his player when he did all that (firmware update), and he said that on that USB stick there were three files (Audio, Video, and Volume).
But those files were closed and could not be open. He doesn't know anything about that, they just appeared suddenly like that on his USB stick.

1. How do you reflash the firmware via USB? ...He would have to do the same firmware update again? ...And this time download it first into a USB stick?

2. How do you erase the Netflix settings to reactivate it?

You have a link on those "standard troubleshooting techniques"? Is it in the manual, online?
post #20437 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

^^They are in Setup Menu page>Device Setup. Pretty self-explanatory once you see it.
post #20438 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
When it comes to selecting 'post processing' options on a TV when watching Blu-ray disc movies you don't need to be a Sony TV owner to answer that question, as it's the same answer for all 'quality' TV's... It's turn it 'off'!
Cinemotion does deinterlacing,oppo has that option too in hdmi options auto,film or video.
do movies at 1080p 24fps require deinterlacing? Or it's just for 1080i material?
This was confusing me a bit
post #20439 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post
Cinemotion does deinterlacing,oppo has that option too in hdmi options auto,film or video.
do movies at 1080p 24fps require deinterlacing? Or it's just for 1080i material?
You leave it @ "Auto".

- Blu-ray movies (Film) are @ 1080p (98.5% roughly).
- Blu-ray music video concerts (Video) are @ 1080i (vast majority). ...De-interlacing happens here, and the "Auto" setting will take care of it.
post #20440 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 07:55 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post
No, 1080p24 is progressive and does not need deinterlacing. If you are using 1080p resolution in the player then it does whatever deinterlacing is required for DVDs and 1080i Blu-ray (or other) sources. So the display does not do any deinterlacing in that case.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #20441 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
They are in Setup Menu page>Device Setup. Pretty self-explanatory once you see it.
We checked.

Device Setup:

- Cache Media Info: On

- Persistent Storage: * Storage Device => Internal Flash
* Space Used => 0 MB
* Erase Persistent Storage

- Netflix: 1. Netflix ESN
2. De-activate Netflix

- Settings Management: 1. Backup Settings
2. Restore Settings

- Reset Factory Defaults

Network Setup:

- Internet Connection: Wireless

- Wireless Setting: 1. [Use Previous]
2. [Start New]

- IP Setting: Auto (DHCP)

- Proxy Setting: Off

- Connection Test => OK

Now, what's best to do for him in order to regain Netflix @ 720p like it was before?
...Which setting(s) to change or click on.
post #20442 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
No, 1080p24 is progressive and does not need deinterlacing. If you are using 1080p resolution in the player then it does whatever deinterlacing is required for DVDs and 1080i Blu-ray (or other) sources. So the display does not do any deinterlacing in that case.

-Bill
Got it thanks!
post #20443 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
You leave it @ "Auto".

- Blu-ray movies (Film) are @ 1080p (98.5% roughly).
- Blu-ray music video concerts (Video) are @ 1080i (vast majority). ...De-interlacing happens here, and the "Auto" setting will take care of it.
Yeah I have it on auto,thanks
post #20444 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Lol, the volume OSD (and the source and the audio listening mode too) are on the front panel display of your receiver anyway.

But I know what you mean; know this though --> any OSD on your display has a small detrimental effect on the overall picture quality, generally.

* Your receiver's OSD (when that feature is activated), it will display on your screen from all its HDMI inputs, and through its HDMI output(s).
It's up to you (and your family's own pleasure) to see or not the volume level on your main screen. ...Plus the source playing, the audio listening mode, the setup menus, all that stuff.

Only when going from your Oppo player directly to your HDTV that you won't get your receiver's OSD. ...HDMI 1 output.
But from its HDMI 2 out going to one of your receiver's HDMI inputs, and selecting the appropriate/corresponding HDMI source on your HDTV, you have all the OSD you want.

Say your Oppo's HDMI 1 Out is connected directly to your HDTV's HDMI 1 Input. ...For quality picture viewing.
And your Oppo's HDMI 2 Out is connected to your AVR's HDMI 2 Input, and then your AVR's HDMI 1 Output is connected to your HDTV's HDMI 2 Input. ...Full OSD access.

Like I said before; it's only a question of which source (HDMI input) you select in your HDTV.

And, if you have a universal remote control (Harmony, Universal, etc.) with programmable Activities (from your PC or Mac), you can do pretty much anything your family's heart desires. And even use your smartphone or iPhone as your remote.

Everything is there, everything you have, everything in life you can have; it's only a simple question to organize it and select the right source.
Your AVR's OSD included. ...With volume level showing for all in your household.

Well, after watching tonight...I think I am leaving it this way! Picture and sound quality is just too good. Plus, I can check volume levels on my iPad Marantz app in a pinch...or on HDMI 2 as you said.

I'll deal with the family later......basically a training issue!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #20445 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Lol, good show.
post #20446 of 21074 Old 02-20-2015, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
We checked.

Device Setup:

- Cache Media Info: On

- Persistent Storage: * Storage Device => Internal Flash
* Space Used => 0 MB
* Erase Persistent Storage

- Netflix: 1. Netflix ESN
2. De-activate Netflix

- Settings Management: 1. Backup Settings
2. Restore Settings

- Reset Factory Defaults

Network Setup:

- Internet Connection: Wireless

- Wireless Setting: 1. [Use Previous]
2. [Start New]

- IP Setting: Auto (DHCP)

- Proxy Setting: Off

- Connection Test => OK

Now, what's best to do for him in order to regain Netflix @ 720p like it was before?
...Which setting(s) to change or click on.
See you found how to deactivate NF from the player.
I would try that first, then once it's done, power cycle the player in Energy Efficient mode (change to EE if it's on Quick Start).
Then when he goes to use NF again, he will have to activate the player on his NF account again.
He needs to also check his NF settings in his account on the NF website.
It does have some settings in there that can make a difference.

I'm a stickler though when it comes to troubleshooting this kind of stuff.
I like to start at the very beginning and re-do everything to make sure all Ts are crossed and Is dotted.
I would deactivate NF, then reset the player to default, then power cycle and reflash firmware,
reset to default again and power cycle again, then re-activate NF.
In between deactivating NF and reinstalling the fw, I would also do a full power cycle of my router/modem system too.
Sounds like PITA I know, but when I do all that then I know I pretty much tried everything and don't have to work backwards
trying different things.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #20447 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
One annoying thing I've noticed with the 103 and 103D and video files off a USB stick is 1x fast reverse runs much faster than it should, I'm guessing something like 3x or 4x. Hard to keep up with. Oppo support says it's something they are aware of but haven't found a solution for. Seems kind of strange, since other media players I've used - Patriot Box Office, KDLinks 720 and Seagate - don't have this problem.

I've also found that video files run fast forward or reverse will occasionally freeze when switched back to normal speed. The solution is to either stop the video and start again if the machine allows, or turn it off completely and restart. With the latter, the Oppo reverts to the input that started the session, often the TV for me. Not convinced it's a file problem as opposed to the Oppo's.

Beyond that, I made the suggestions below to improve ease of use with USB files, ones that are common to media players, and got the response that others had asked for them to. Wish Oppo would get onto them. Maybe we need a write-in campaign.

- Add a 1.5x speed to fast forward and fast back
- Keep sound active up to 2x speed forward on video files (as on
music)
- USB file listing: allow continuous scrolling, i.e., moving up from top
item goes to the bottom of the list, and vice versa
- "i" / Info screen: would help to have the file name
post #20448 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

I have the same complaint. It is very frustrating when trying to |<< or >>| to a scene just to find out that it jumps more than it should. The thing that annoys me most is when it freezes (with that endless 50% spinning circle). Only way to 'defrost' this thing is to power OFF, then ON. These were the lists of complaints I posted earlier somewhere either on this or the 103 Darbee thread.. They were also sent to Oppo. Like I said, this is one expensive piece of equipment to garner such behaviors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genegold View Post
One annoying thing I've noticed with the 103 and 103D and video files off a USB stick is 1x fast reverse runs much faster than it should, I'm guessing something like 3x or 4x. Hard to keep up with. Oppo support says it's something they are aware of but haven't found a solution for. Seems kind of strange, since other media players I've used - Patriot Box Office, KDLinks 720 and Seagate - don't have this problem.

I've also found that video files run fast forward or reverse will occasionally freeze when switched back to normal speed. The solution is to either stop the video and start again if the machine allows, or turn it off completely and restart. With the latter, the Oppo reverts to the input that started the session, often the TV for me. Not convinced it's a file problem as opposed to the Oppo's.

Beyond that, I made the suggestions below to improve ease of use with USB files, ones that are common to media players, and got the response that others had asked for them to. Wish Oppo would get onto them. Maybe we need a write-in campaign.

- Add a 1.5x speed to fast forward and fast back
- Keep sound active up to 2x speed forward on video files (as on
music)
- USB file listing: allow continuous scrolling, i.e., moving up from top
item goes to the bottom of the list, and vice versa
- "i" / Info screen: would help to have the file name
post #20449 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
I have the same complaint. It is very frustrating when trying to |<< or >>| to a scene just to find out that it jumps more than it should. The thing that annoys me most is when it freezes (with that endless 50% spinning circle). Only way to 'defrost' this thing is to power OFF, then ON. These were the lists of complaints I posted earlier somewhere either on this or the 103 Darbee thread.. They were also sent to Oppo. Like I said, this is one expensive piece of equipment to garner such behaviors.
This is not normal behaviour...

And as mentioned to you before I personally don't have any issues with chapter navigation. Meaning, there must be something specific to your set-up which is causing your issues!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #20450 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
See you found how to deactivate NF from the player.
I would try that first, then once it's done, power cycle the player in Energy Efficient mode (change to EE if it's on Quick Start).
Then when he goes to use NF again, he will have to activate the player on his NF account again.
He needs to also check his NF settings in his account on the NF website.
It does have some settings in there that can make a difference.

I'm a stickler though when it comes to troubleshooting this kind of stuff.
I like to start at the very beginning and re-do everything to make sure all Ts are crossed and Is dotted.
I would deactivate NF, then reset the player to default, then power cycle and reflash firmware,
reset to default again and power cycle again, then re-activate NF.
In between deactivating NF and reinstalling the fw, I would also do a full power cycle of my router/modem system too.
Sounds like PITA I know, but when I do all that then I know I pretty much tried everything and don't have to work backwards
trying different things.
1. Turn the Oppo 103 On
2. De-activate Netflix
3. Reset his Oppo 103 to Factory Defaults
4. Turn the Oppo Off (in Energy Efficient mode)
5. Reactivate Netflix on his NF account
6. Check settings on his NF account
7. Power Cycle (Oppo Off, and On again)
8. Reflash Firmware How you do that; which setting is that?
9. Reset to Factory Defaults again
10. Power cycle again (Oppo Off, then On again)
11. Re-activate Netflix again
12. Between deactivating Netflix and reinstalling the firmare update; do a full power cycle of the router/modem.
He has to reinstall the firmware update again like he did before, with the Ethernet wire?

<<<>>> Could you please use step by step (1 to 12), but this time exactly the way he should do; because this is very unclear what I just enumerated above. ...Way too confusing. ...The order is not right; few missteps here, I can smell.

The only thing he wants is Netflix, and all that stuff to get Netflix back like the way it was ... might as well take a trip in the Bermuda triangle @ the edge of the Cuban coastline. ...It can truly drives someone to the precipice of insanity.

Yes, the steps have to be real clear; one @ a time, and the two questions highlighted in red answered first.
Because right now it looks like a recipe for total disaster and a high risk to brick his Oppo 103 player.
Anyone here has ever done the twelve steps just above? ...No way; they are not in the right sequential order, and too unclear.
...Clearer instructions would be needed in order to fix Netflix. ...And without bricking his machine.

What a life!

Last edited by NorthSky; 02-21-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: life
post #20451 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry, I should be more specific and meant << >> jumping more than it should, but you're right, |<< >>| is another story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
This is not normal behaviour...

And as mentioned to you before I personally don't have any issues with chapter navigation. Meaning, there must be something specific to your set-up which is causing your issues!
post #20452 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 12:57 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so there is a way to do this that I found searching different threads. Google "bluray playlist obfuscation youtube" and the first link will be a youtube video showing you how to use Process Monitor v3.1 and any PC DVD player software (he's using PowerDVD v14) to get the correct playlist for any Bluray disc. Hope this is helpful for others!

I'm guessing the PowerDVD must get a license to use the java code that figures out what playlist to play just like a bluray player would use.

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I think Bill is barking up the right tree here. When a BD loads, the player is essentially loading a JAVA program. I doubt the player can even detect what playlist is being used. In short, the JAVA is bypassing the normal navigation instructions that a "normal" BD uses.

In any case, if a player was able to display the info you need to bypass copy protections, its a safe bet the player would lose its BD license in a hurry.
post #20453 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Connecting Oppo BDP-103 to a MAC

After trying for several hours to connect my Oppo BDP-103 to my iMac, I thought I would try the experts on AVS. I have file sharing on, and I can see my Mac on my Oppo, but when I try to connect, it asks for a User Name and Password, of which I tried and I get an error every time. Does anyone know how to connect (or is it not possible) the BDP-103 to a Mac? I would like to stream HD files (and other music files) from my Mac to the BDP-103.

Thank you!
post #20454 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 02:37 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmumm View Post
After trying for several hours to connect my Oppo BDP-103 to my iMac, I thought I would try the experts on AVS. I have file sharing on, and I can see my Mac on my Oppo, but when I try to connect, it asks for a User Name and Password, of which I tried and I get an error every time. Does anyone know how to connect (or is it not possible) the BDP-103 to a Mac? I would like to stream HD files (and other music files) from my Mac to the BDP-103.

Thank you!
Welcome to AVSForum.

If you can't get SMB file sharing to work, try a DLNA server. Twonky is cross platform and people report quick results with it.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #20455 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 03:05 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

He has to reinstall the firmware update again like he did before, with the Ethernet wire?
Take a look at Oppo's firmware upgrade instructions. Follow the USB Thumb Drive procedure to re-install the current firmware version.
post #20456 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmumm View Post

Thank you!
If you are on OS X 10.7x (Lion) or later Apple moved from SAMBA to their own proprietary SMBX protocol that doesn't work that well with many things. There is a utility called SMBUp that might get you up and going.

http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

Good Luck
Bill
post #20457 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Take a look at Oppo's firmware upgrade instructions. Follow the USB Thumb Drive procedure to re-install the current firmware version.
Better to do a firmware update from a USB stick than the Internet directly?

Ok, let me try to understand:

- His Oppo 103 has already the latest firmware. And he did it directly from the Internet with an Ethernet cable (wired).
- Now he can delete it, and re-install it, but this time from a USB stick?
- But first he has to download it from the Internet on a USB stick?

Is this correct?

I'm having some difficulty to comprehend the logic.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #20458 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 932
Quote:

- His Oppo 103 has already the latest firmware. And he did it directly from the Internet with an Ethernet cable (wired).

Is this correct?

Go to the OPPO website. Go to the 103 Support page. It will tell you how to download the FW to a USB stick. You just reload it. You have to go to the Setup Menu in the OPPO to install the FW from the stick.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
post #20459 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
1. Turn the Oppo 103 On
2. De-activate Netflix
3. Reset his Oppo 103 to Factory Defaults
4. Turn the Oppo Off (in Energy Efficient mode)
5. Reactivate Netflix on his NF account
6. Check settings on his NF account
7. Power Cycle (Oppo Off, and On again)
9. Reset to Factory Defaults again
10. Power cycle again (Oppo Off, then On again)
11. Re-activate Netflix again
12. Between deactivating Netflix and reinstalling the firmare update; do a full power cycle of the router/modem.

<<<>>> Could you please use step by step (1 to 12), but this time exactly the way he should do; because this is very unclear what I just enumerated above. ...Way too confusing. ...The order is not right; few missteps here, I can smell.

The only thing he wants is Netflix, and all that stuff to get Netflix back like the way it was ... might as well take a trip in the Bermuda triangle @ the edge of the Cuban coastline. ...It can truly drives someone to the precipice of insanity.

Yes, the steps have to be real clear; one @ a time, and the two questions highlighted in red answered first.
Because right now it looks like a recipe for total disaster and a high risk to brick his Oppo 103 player.
Anyone here has ever done the twelve steps just above? ...No way; they are not in the right sequential order, and too unclear.
...Clearer instructions would be needed in order to fix Netflix. ...And without bricking his machine.

What a life!
I'm just trying to give you the whole enchilada on everything you can try.
You don't have to do it, but you won't know if could have helped if you don't try.
Why do think it would brick the player? There's nothing to indicate that would happen.

Most of this stuff is simply clearing out old data and rebooting so to speak.
You reflash the firmware with a USB stick like GSR said above, and by overwriting the current firmware with a new
copy will simply try to eliminate anything that could be wonky with the current version.
The likelyhood of reflashing the firmware actually fixing the issue is low, but again, you never know and it's free to try.
(and no you don't have to do it twice, just once after deactivating NF).

It's not a 12 step program. You just use logic to determine what to do.
If you want to know how I would do it, I would do it in the following order explicitly...

FIRST, see step 5 below, and get the current firmware file for your player onto a usb flash drive before doing the other steps.

1)Power on the player and go into setup menu and make sure it's on Energy Efficient.
If it's already on EE, good... if not, switch from Quick Start to EE and power cycle the player.
2)Deactivate the Netflix credentials in the player, then power cycle the player.
3)Next reset the player to full factory default settings, then power off the player.

4)Power off ALL devices that connect to the home router/modem/wifi system.
That includes all PCs, tablets, phones, etc... Being in standby is not the same as fully powering off.
For things like smartphones, be sure to hold down the power button and select to power off the device.
If they are connected with an ethernet hardline, I would pull all of those lines from the back of the router.
(Soon they will be plugged back in after your procedure is done.)
Once all devices have been powered off and disconnected from the system, shut down your router/modem.
Wait a few minutes and then power them back on.
(If your router/modem is one device, good,,, if it is 2 separate devices, be sure to power on the modem first,
wait a few minutes for it to fully initialize, then power on the router and wait for the router to fully initialize).
Be sure not to rush things... modems can sometimes take as long as 15 minutes or more before they fully come back online,
so make sure you wait for them to fully reboot.

5) Next, you should have prepared a USB flash drive stick with proper firmware file of the latest firmware for your player.
The firmware download links can be found on Oppo's website, along with instructions on how to load the firmware into the player.
This will be an easy procedure as long as the files are put on the stick properly.
Simpy power on the player, and then insert the USB stick into the front USB port of the player and follow the onscreen instructions.
As it finishes, the player should shut down on it's own.

At this point everything should at a point of reset, refreshed and rebooted, almost as if you just installed a new player.
You have reset the player factory default settings, so I think the wired/wireless setting should have reverted to "wired".
As a suggestion, I would try setting everything (most notably Netfix) up again with a WIRED player, running an ethernet wire from
the player directly to the router. (You can switch this back to wireless once you get it setup and tested.)

So then go in and reactivate Netflix in the player. If you need a PC to do this, then you'll probably need to plug the PC wire
back into the router/modem and power it on.
You can also go ahead and plug other wires back into the router/modem too, but leave devices other than the player and PC turned off,
especially wireless devices that can easily hog system bandwidth when you don't want them too.
Once you have reactivated NF, and then go through the player's menus and configure it with your best personalized settings,
power cycle the player, then give NF a go and see if any of that helped.
I offer no guarantees that all this stuff will help at all, but it has the potential to, and are good troubleshooting techniques to try.

More than likely, the issue you are encountering is due to poor ISP speed or something to do with the communication between
your ISP and Netflix, or something like that. Again though, I like to do things thoroughly just to make sure.
ellisr63 likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #20460 of 21074 Old 02-21-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is this correct?

Yes, ok, let me try to explain this...
He already has the latest firmware he downloaded from Oppo's server over the ethernet connection.
However, there are other ways to manually install firmware, and if a user wanted to, they can also use those
alternate methods to install the firmware at any time... whether it be the same firmware, or any newer firmware.
One of those methods is by using a USB flash drive to load the firmware into the player manually.
Since his player does already have the latest firmware, he can not re-install that firmware via ethernet connection.
Oppo's servers do not allow re-installion in that manner. So, the next best option is to install it with a USB flash drive.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page