Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 685 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 434Likes
post #20521 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 47
But even with Pure Direct, the screen doesn't fully darken. In a darkened theater, it still glows. It's not the same as turning the display off.

Last edited by Philnick; 02-24-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20522 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
But the screen doesn't fully darken. In a darkened theater, it still glows. It's not the same as turning the display off.
It is pretty dark on my 103, never really noticed a glow, will double check tonight though.

HT: Pioneer SC-85, Oppo BDP-103, PS3
OSD ATM-7
2CH: Pioneer Elite SX-A9-J, Pioneer PL 518 turntable, Pioneer PD M455 CD, Pioneer CT-WM77R Tape
Paradigm Studio 60's, Studio CC, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, Ultracube 10 SW
post #20523 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
It is pretty dark on my 103, never really noticed a glow, will double check tonight though.
Looks black on my 60".

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
post #20524 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
I'm not talking about the display on the front of the player.

I'm talking about the display that you plug into it (either directly or through an AVR) to navigate your music collection and see the album graphic while the music plays.

You know - the screen, whether a flat-panel TV or a projector!

I've never yet seen a video display that doesn't have a residual glow in a fully-darkened room even when the input signal is turned off - and even if such exists, mine has such a residual glow, and it's to avoid seeing that that I use a small LED display for music navigation- and turn it all the way off to concentrate on the music.

Last edited by Philnick; 02-24-2015 at 06:53 PM.
post #20525 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 272
When you use the Oppo for playing your media off of a NAS...

1: What are the graphics like?

2: Can they be displayed on a Android Tablet, and controlled via the same device?

3: Does it show you the cover and info in a catalog type graphic (like Kodi or Plex)?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs,  PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 HTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Yamaha P2500s, & (3) Topping 25wpch T chip amps.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
post #20526 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

I'm talking about the display that you plug into it (either directly or through an AVR) to navigate your music collection and see the album graphic while the music plays.

I've never yet seen a video display that doesn't have a residual glow in a fully-darkened room even when the input signal is turned off - and even if such exists, mine has such a residual glow, and it's to avoid seeing that that I use a small LED display for music navigation- and turn it all the way off to concentrate on the music.
Right, got it, I wouldn't call it a glow on my screen, however it is not pitch black as if it were off.

HT: Pioneer SC-85, Oppo BDP-103, PS3
OSD ATM-7
2CH: Pioneer Elite SX-A9-J, Pioneer PL 518 turntable, Pioneer PD M455 CD, Pioneer CT-WM77R Tape
Paradigm Studio 60's, Studio CC, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, Ultracube 10 SW
post #20527 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

My Samsung LED backlit LCD will go totally black (shuts off the backlight) when Pure Audio is engaged on the 103, which is nice. The backlight going off is dependent on the black level settings in the TV menu and the Oppo menu. At first the backlight was going compleletly black while watching a movie, which is distracting.

It took me a while to figure out when the black level is set correctly, it will not shut off the backlight during fade to black during movies but will with Pure Audio and also with the black screen saver on my Mac Mini which is nice as I have a hot corner set up for the screen saver that will take the display to backlight off which also improves the sound a little. Sometimes the backlight will go off during transitions, say from FBI warning to menu. Nice that this display does not have any power on indicator, only a standby indicator which I removed .

I know you stated your display does not do this. Just throwing this out there, mainly because the black levels have to be set properly on my display to get the backlight to go off and there is no mention of this feature.

I did later figure out that the "Energy Saver" (this may not be exact wording) screen saver on the 103 has a higher black level than the Pure Audio and hence the backlight will not shut off. The description of the energy saver screen saver makes it sound just like the pure audio function. Anyway, I mentioned this to Oppo and I do not think I got a satisfactory technical response describing the differences. It did seem they understood the functional differences, and were not going to change this. I did not follow through as I do not use either screen saver as either one changes the sound of the unit slightly for the worse.

Last edited by kellybob; 02-24-2015 at 07:23 PM.
post #20528 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTBC View Post
I just updated the firmware on my 103 (I know I know I'm way past Oct 2014 but nothing was wrong and I kept postponing it). It went smoothly as usual. My question is this: If I reset it to factory defaults and then restore my settings using the save I put on a USB stick before I flashed the firmware will my Roku and Vudu setups be intact or will I have to re-initiate them by setting them up as I did when I initially set them up on my machine?

Thanks in advance.
There are two levels of reset: one erases account settings and the other doesn't.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #20529 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybob View Post
My Samsung LED backlit LCD will go totally black (shuts off the backlight) when Pure Audio is engaged on the 103, which is nice. The backlight going off is dependent on the black level settings in the TV menu and the Oppo menu. At first the backlight was going compleletly black while watching a movie, which is distracting.

It took me a while to figure out when the black level is set correctly, it will not shut off the backlight during fade to black during movies but will with Pure Audio and also with the black screen saver on my Mac Mini which is nice as I have a hot corner set up for the screen saver that will take the display to backlight off which also improves the sound a little. Sometimes the backlight will go off during transitions, say from FBI warning to menu. Nice that this display does not have any power on indicator, only a standby indicator which I removed .

I know you stated your display does not do this. Just throwing this out there, mainly because the black levels have to be set properly on my display to get the backlight to go off and there is no mention of this feature.

I did later figure out that the "Energy Saver" (this may not be exact wording) screen saver on the 103 has a higher black level than the Pure Audio and hence the backlight will not shut off. The description of the energy saver screen saver makes it sound just like the pure audio function. Anyway, I mentioned this to Oppo and I do not think I got a satisfactory technical response describing the differences. It did seem they understood the functional differences, and were not going to change this. I did not follow through as I do not use either screen saver as either one changes the sound of the unit slightly for the worse.
Well, my old Panasonic projector does not have an auto standby that turns off the arc lamp when Pure Direct is engaged. Only way to turn off the arc lamp is to turn off the projector - and not only is there an HDMI handshake that mutes the sound, the projector takes several minutes to fully power down to the point where you can turn it back on!

When your Samsung LED display turns off its backlight when you hit Pure Direct, does that trigger an HDMI handshake, temporarily muting the sound?

post #20530 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3467 Post(s)
Liked: 1194
Quote:
Quick question from a BDP-93 user.

I use the 93's composite video output - the "single RCA jack" kind of video output found on VCRs and DVD players - to browse my music server through the Oppo's Network icon, to choose music to play without turning on my projector, using a small (9") LED screen of the sort sold to parents to entertain their kids in the back seat of a car during long trips.

On the 10x series, that jack has been renamed the Diagnostic Video Output.

Have any of you connected a composite monitor to that jack, and if so, would you see if it can still be used as I just described: to browse your Oppo's menus, including browsing the file structure of your networked music collection to select music to play? I don't need it to play videos, just to show me the Oppo's own menus and file listings, with the tags embedded in the playing track, including the album graphic that's shown while a track is playing.

I like to do this over a composite connection, because unlike with an HDMI display, turning a composite display on or off (to listen in the dark) doesn't interrupt the music by triggering an "HDMI handshake."

Thanks!
If you plug the single Video (composite RCA) Out jack from your Oppo 93's rear to any monitor (small or large) having a Video In,
you will be able to see all your music tracks, info, time, etc., without turning on your front projector or large flat panel plasma or LCD LED or OLED.

So yes, you're in business.

* And with Pure Direct engaged the picture is gone. ...No HDMI handshake issue here because your Oppo 93's HDMI Out is connected to your front projector and you don't want your front projector On so all is good.
On your universal remote you simply program a dedicated Activity for Music Listening only; Oppo 93 On, Monitor On, and your SSP or Receiver On.
When watching Movies; Oppo 93 On, SSP On (or receiver), front projector On, and amp(s) On (if using a SSP).

Voila monsieur.
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 02-24-2015 at 08:01 PM.
post #20531 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Well, my old Panasonic projector does not have an auto standby that turns off the arc lamp when Pure Direct is engaged. Only way to turn off the arc lamp is to turn off the projector - and not only is there an HDMI handshake that mutes the sound, the projector takes several minutes to fully power down to the point where you can turn it back on!

When your Samsung LED display turns off its backlight when you hit Pure Direct, does that trigger an HDMI handshake, temporarily muting the sound?

Pure Direct does not trigger a HDMI handshake on my display. The backlight simply goes off.

I have a simple set up. 103 HDMI 1 to TV (video only), coax out to DAC. Mac Mini to TV (video only), toslink out to same DAC. I don't remember ever hearing an audio dropout. Even when I turn the TV on and off or switch inputs on the TV.
post #20532 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 10:20 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Has anyone here who owns an Oppo also bought a Mede8er MED1000X3D? I'm curious if you notice and video differences when streaming? Someone on another thread suggested the Mede8er can play back forced subs from makemkv but I'd like to here from some people who demand the quality of the oppo to see how this performs. The unit looks cheap but if it plays back well, I can live with that.
post #20533 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, I have grainy picture. Oppo to the new to me Onkyo 3008 receiver. Xbox one through the Onkyo looks fine. It must be the Oppo settings. Guess I need to figure out which scaler to use. The Reon in the Onkyo or the Qdeo in the Oppo.
Any advice how to properly set this up?

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~ Parasound Halo C2 Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ Energy RC-70 (side surrounds)
CAT Tiburons(rear surr) ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One
post #20534 of 20594 Old 02-24-2015, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Well, I have grainy picture. Oppo to the new to me Onkyo 3008 receiver. Xbox one through the Onkyo looks fine. It must be the Oppo settings. Guess I need to figure out which scaler to use. The Reon in the Onkyo or the Qdeo in the Oppo.
Any advice how to properly set this up?
Use the Oppo's own video processor, and bypass the 3008's own Reon video processor (pass through).
Set the picture settings (parameters) in your display. Use a video calibration disc: BR Spears&Munsil, BR disc WOW from Disney, Digital Video Essentials, Blu-ray Avia from Ovation (latest edition).

Just don't use your Onkyo 3008's Reon VX; it will kill your receiver from too much generated heat.
post #20535 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

One last try to get an answer to my simple question:

Can the 10x series "Diagnostic Video Output" jack be used to browse to the Network icon and its attached file servers to select albums and tracks, and to see the embedded tags, including album cover graphic, while a track is playing?

I know that works on the 93, because I've been doing it for years. My question is whether it still works on the 10x series or has been disabled, which has always seemed to me to be the implication of renaming that jack as a troubleshooting output only.

So, for the last time before I go into my theater, lock the door, and scream that everyone is so encased in their own little worlds that they can't even hear my question:

Has anybody here ever tried to use their 10x's Diagnostic Video Output to browse their Network file servers and choose tracks? If it lets you do that, does it show you the same screen with the title, running time progress bar, album cover thumbnail, etc. while the track is playing, that you'd see through a display attached to an HDMI jack?

post #20536 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 02:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 213
^ Lol, I did hear your question Phil, and theoretically that output should work the same as it does on the BDP-93,
but to be honest I have never actually tried it on my 10x players,
and I don't have a cable long enough to stretch from my player to pj to test it.
...AND I don't think I have any other monitor with a composite input either.
I know that you do get a pic from it, but what I am not sure of, is if it acts exactly the same way as the -93.
What I can tell you is, if no one else here can answer, if you shoot Oppo the same question via email,
you'll probably get a replay back pretty quickly.
ToadB likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #20537 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Lol, I did hear your question Phil, and theoretically that output should work the same as it does on the BDP-93,
but to be honest I have never actually tried it on my 10x players,
and I don't have a cable long enough to stretch from my player to pj to test it.
...AND I don't think I have any other monitor with a composite input either.
I know that you do get a pic from it, but what I am not sure of, is if it acts exactly the same way as the -93.
What I can tell you is, if no one else here can answer, if you shoot Oppo the same question via email,
you'll probably get a replay back pretty quickly.
My concern is that they renamed that jack in response to objections from the film industry to their retaining an analog video output, even if only SD, in which case they might not feel free to say that it really is the same as my 93's composite output.

post #20538 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I would have used the PS4 over the Oppo had the idiots at sony created a clear cut IP integration strategy like they did with the consumer AV products.

The PS4's OS has become a bloated mess too... Anyone else find the thing as irritating as me?

A ps4 in general is a vastly better value than the oppo considering what all it is capable of. My ps4 is dumped in another room and the oppo103 should hit my doorstep today...
This is my opinion only.

Might just be from me being a giant nerd, but I'm honestly disappointed by the ps4. i just can't find games I wouldn't rather just play on my computer and they still look better even with my four year old gpu. And I consider my 103d as a much better value even though it costs twice as much..

Since the control range is so short compared to the ps3 it is impossible to keep it in my rack area, so no escaping the fan noise. And sony refuses still to release the protocolls so just forget about using the harmony or other universal control systems.
Not the mention the giant blinking light aimed straight at your screen that either reflects of your tv or ruins contrast on your projection screen.
(Granted this is sorted with a bit of black tape, but shouldn't be necessary)

As a home theater device the ps4 as it stands is to me useless and bloated, the best thing about it is that it comes in black and is flat on top..
I'm putting mine on the market soon.

Last edited by TorTorden; 02-25-2015 at 04:52 AM.
post #20539 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 05:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
My concern is that they renamed that jack in response to objections from the film industry to their retaining an analog video output, even if only SD, in which case they might not feel free to say that it really is the same as my 93's composite output.
I thought that was correct, that it will NOT work, but neither have I tested it.

According to the Fine Manual:

Quote:
You may remove the HDMI cable and connect the DIAG (diagnostic) output to the TV through a
regular composite video cable (not included) when there is a problem with HDMI video. Only the
SetupMenu will be visible on the TV when using this connection, so it is limited to troubleshooting
purposes only.
-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #20540 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 05:30 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
I don't recall all the specifics, but the composite video output on the 10x players is very limited in use - essentially setup menu access and not much else. As Dave suggested, why not contact Oppo? I would expect that they'll give you a straight answer on what the output can be used for.
post #20541 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Bill, for confirming my inference from the renaming of that jack.

I was debating getting a 103 or 105 in order to improve the sound from Amazon Prime, since I'm limited to classic Dolby Digital by my pre-HDMI Yamaha RX-V457 (which I connect to from my 93 with the multichannel analog connection), but it seems I could improve the sound of everything - even the 93 - by getting one of the new Yamaha AVRs that use the ESS Sabre DACs and switching over to feeding it LPCM, which would put the sound on a par with the x5 series of Oppos.

I don't know whether the ESS 9006 would improve on the sound of my old Yamaha, but the Sabre32 9016 would probably be similar enough to the 9018 to get me there, while letting me keep my 9" music dashboard.

post #20542 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
So, for the last time before I go into my theater, lock the door, and scream that everyone is so encased in their own little worlds that they can't even hear my question:

Has anybody here ever tried to use their 10x's Diagnostic Video Output to browse their Network file servers and choose tracks? If it lets you do that, does it show you the same screen with the title, running time progress bar, album cover thumbnail, etc. while the track is playing, that you'd see through a display attached to an HDMI jack?
It may not be the answer your looking for but: there probably is not that many people trying out this because there is another route that is certainly more flexible. Using a tablet (Android or iPad) with the Oppo app will let you do what you want from your lap and without a cable between the small screen and Oppo. But of course the catch is if you don't own a tablet you have to buy one, and just for doing this while you already have the equipment for the 93 may be prohibitive.

Like you I don't like to have the TV on for music playback. I use my tablet to select and play what I want. I have the Oppo app but since I have my music on my server accessible through SMB or DLNA, I also use Mezzmo DLNA server software on my PC and have their Android app on my tablet which has a very nice user interface with graphics etc. I am even using it now to start playback of movies/series residing on my PC to my Oppo because the interface is so nice and as a plus it remembers when I played something last. It is great way to know which episode I am at in a series!
post #20543 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post
It may not be the answer your looking for but: there probably is not that many people trying out this because there is another route that is certainly more flexible. Using a tablet (Android or iPad) with the Oppo app will let you do what you want from your lap and without a cable between the small screen and Oppo. But of course the catch is if you don't own a tablet you have to buy one, and just for doing this while you already have the equipment for the 93 may be prohibitive.

Like you I don't like to have the TV on for music playback. I use my tablet to select and play what I want. I have the Oppo app but since I have my music on my server accessible through SMB or DLNA, I also use Mezzmo DLNA server software on my PC and have their Android app on my tablet which has a very nice user interface with graphics etc. I am even using it now to start playback of movies/series residing on my PC to my Oppo because the interface is so nice and as a plus it remembers when I played something last. It is great way to know which episode I am at in a series!
I suppose I'd do that if I was using a newer Oppo, since those can also have music "pushed" to them by a DLNA server, which the 93 can't do - it has to "pull" the material using its own menus.

Instead, I'll probably stay with my 93 and get a newer AVR with a DAC like the ones in the x5 series - I'm happy enough with the picture quality from the 93. If I ever wanted to experiment with Darbie, I could hang that on the output of the AVR, essentially using the AVR the way you guys use the 10xD players.

I don't mind using modular separates, since that's how I started out in the 1970s, with a Dynaco integrated amp and a separate tuner - don't remember whose - to drive my 1970-manufactured original (later dubbed "Larger") Advent speakers. Still have those Advents in my living room, with new Advent tweeters and rebuilt Advent woofers, being driven by a vintage AR integrated amp that dates back to the days of germainum transistors! If I upgrade my theater to a new Yamaha AVR, I might bring the old one up to my living room.

Last edited by Philnick; 02-25-2015 at 09:02 AM.
post #20544 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Looking for some opinions on how much visible difference can be seen with using split A/V and not using split A/V?

120" screen - JVC RS-57

My HT is down for renovations and my second HDMI cable won't be long enough now, so I'm trying to decide if I should bother ordering another 35' HDMI cable.

Another thing is, I'm a bit anal about lip sync and I've never felt that I can get it bang on using split A/V. Anyone else experience this?

VIDEO: JVC DLA-RS57U Projector / 106" Grandview fixed frame screen - Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PlayStation 3 AVR: Onkyo TX-NR3009 SPEAKERS: Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains - Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center - Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4 SUBWOOFERS: SVS PB2000 / Velodyne DPS-12
post #20545 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
When you use the Oppo for playing your media off of a NAS...

1: What are the graphics like?

2: Can they be displayed on a Android Tablet, and controlled via the same device?

3: Does it show you the cover and info in a catalog type graphic (like Kodi or Plex)?
I don't know about playing off a NAS as I only play music files (FLAC and DSF) from a USB-connected local hard drive (I'm using a 4 terabyte on one rear USB port and the WiFi adapter on the other rear USB port) or flash drive (I use the front USB port for that), but I'm assuming they are largely the same as used for navigating these types of drives.

I'm not familiar with Kodi or Plex. However, when playing music, you get a graphic of what looks like a close-up of a tone arm and cartridge playing a record album on a turntable, done in shades of blue and black. I know of no way to change this to another graphic. Laid over this on the right is text information about the file being played. It's basically a subset of ID3 tags from the file (album title, song title, artist, etc.). A number of fields (such as Comments) and other information (bit rate, sampling frequency, word size, file format, etc.) are not displayed (though I've suggested to Oppo that they optionally be shown as well). If the file has a "cover image" properly embedded, that is displayed on the left and in full color with no obvious border added and no other effects (like a flipped image below it to look like a reflection, as iTunes used to do). I haven't tried to measure the size of the graphic for the "cover image". I'm guessing it's around 500 to 700 pixels on a side. I embed 1000x1000 pixel "cover images" in my audio files and it obviously scales them down. I haven't tried any lower resolution images to see if it also scales them up.

These graphics are NOT displayed on an Android or Apple tablet. Oppo makes apps for both Android and iPads that allow you to navigate through your attached drive(s) and select music to play (which is MUCH nicer and faster than navigating a large collection using just the Oppo remote control) and to act as a replacement for the remote control. With it, you can turn the attached HDTV off if you want and control what is playing via the tablet. I like this as I have a plasma TV and playing non-moving, fairly bright white text against a fairly dark background gives me some pretty string image retention when I go to play video. I find myself using the "pixel flipper" chapter in the Disney World of Wonder (WOW) disc after playing music for any length of time without turning the TV off. I, for one, wish that Oppo offered a few, animated options for music playback, much like the "visualization" options for iTunes or WinAmp (for Windows). They are mildly entertaining and would prevent the image retention issue I have. I've suggested it to Oppo but no luck so far.

When playing FLAC files (I use 16-bit and 24-bit with 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 & 192 kHz sampling frequencies with 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1 channels), you have the option of playing "gaplessly", which I strongly prefer as I have a lot of live albums (rock, jazz and classical) and a number of "concept" albums where the songs are meant to run together. However, you have to go through a few steps to enable this and you have to do those steps each time. You can't just set the unit to default to gapless playback (I've suggested that to Oppo as well). They do not yet (as of the current firmware, anyway) support gapless playback of DSF files. I would really like to see that as well. I'm really trying to get away from using discs altogether and have been converting my CD and DVD Audio collection to FLAC files and my SACD collection to DSF files but I do dislike having gaps (even very short ones) between songs on albums mean to flow continuously. Needless to say, I've suggested that to Oppo as well.

I don't want to give the idea that people's suggestions fall on deaf ears at Oppo. They seem pretty responsive to more serious issues, like instances where given file types with certain characteristics fail to play. They just haven't prioritized my particular (and perhaps peculiar) requests.
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by JerryElbow; 02-25-2015 at 12:14 PM.
post #20546 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post
Looking for some opinions on how much visible difference can be seen with using split A/V and not using split A/V?

120" screen - JVC RS-57
None.
Or to put it another way; if there is a difference something's wrong with your setup.
post #20547 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
But even with Pure Direct, the screen doesn't fully darken. In a darkened theater, it still glows. It's not the same as turning the display off.
True, it doesn't turn the display off, it just sends no signal to it. On my old DLP and previous Oppo player, that resulted in a darkened but not black display. On the new Oppo and my newer Panasonic Plasma, it's as black as black gets. In a dark room, you can't tell the set is turned on. But then, it's the same way on truly black scenes in films on Blu-rays as well. So how dark your display gets with no signal depends more on your TV's technology than on the Oppo. I normally just turn the TV off when I'm playing music and control the player and select music using the Oppo app on my tablet (which happens to be an Android, but I'm sure it works equally well on an iPad).
post #20548 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
how's the 2 ch. sound on oppo bdp-103?

hi y'all, I'm putting together a small bookshelf system for my elderly mother used mainly for 2 channel listening. how is the sound quality of the 2 channel output? I'm looking at this oppo bdp-103 because I have heard good things about it. can anyone think of a better "CD player" for $500 or less? thanks in advance, jay (p.s. I notice the RCA outs are labeled FL,FR,SL,SR,C,SW,SBL and SBR. which two would I use for 2 channel stereo listening, maybe the FL and FR?)
post #20549 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
None.
Or to put it another way; if there is a difference something's wrong with your setup.
Guess maybe I should have worded it differently, is there any visual difference using split A/V or running through AVR?

VIDEO: JVC DLA-RS57U Projector / 106" Grandview fixed frame screen - Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PlayStation 3 AVR: Onkyo TX-NR3009 SPEAKERS: Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains - Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center - Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4 SUBWOOFERS: SVS PB2000 / Velodyne DPS-12
post #20550 of 20594 Old 02-25-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jay View Post
hi y'all, I'm putting together a small bookshelf system for my elderly mother used mainly for 2 channel listening. how is the sound quality of the 2 channel output? I'm looking at this oppo bdp-103 because I have heard good things about it. can anyone think of a better "CD player" for $500 or less? thanks in advance, jay (p.s. I notice the RCA outs are labeled FL,FR,SL,SR,C,SW,SBL and SBR. which two would I use for 2 channel stereo listening, maybe the FL and FR?)
1. For stereo music playback only?
2. If yes just google Best CD players under $200

3. If she watch movies too, she can get a Sony or Samsung BR player for $100 and they would play CDs too.
4. Yes, on the Oppo 103's rear panel the FL and FR for Stereo listening.

* If only for CD playback, look @ CD players with a Wolfson DAC (Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz) for $200 or so.
No need for the Oppo 103 for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page