Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 686 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 433Likes

post #20551 of 20563 Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post
Guess maybe I should have worded it differently, is there any visual difference using split A/V or running through AVR?
I would say the only visual difference you might see is whatever video processing your AVR might do to the signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20552 of 20563 Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Not to impugn your idea of choice, but how gadget-inclined is your elderly mother? If she prefers simplicity for only listing to music CDs, then something like this would be more suitable instead of having to tinker with an amp/receiver, then the Oppo. But hey if she insists, then connecting the two FR/FL RCA analog stereo out and enjoy. Sounds great!
http://www.amazon.com/GPX-HC221B-Com...4897292&sr=1-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jay View Post
hi y'all, I'm putting together a small bookshelf system for my elderly mother used mainly for 2 channel listening. how is the sound quality of the 2 channel output? I'm looking at this oppo bdp-103 because I have heard good things about it. can anyone think of a better "CD player" for $500 or less? thanks in advance, jay (p.s. I notice the RCA outs are labeled FL,FR,SL,SR,C,SW,SBL and SBR. which two would I use for 2 channel stereo listening, maybe the FL and FR?)
post #20553 of 20563 Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Wow, that's pretty inexpensive. ^
post #20554 of 20563 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post
Guess maybe I should have worded it differently, is there any visual difference using split A/V or running through AVR?
Same answer: there *should* be no difference.
post #20555 of 20563 Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
80sGuy, thank you, too. However, I even tried swapping the AudioQuest out for the cable OPPO provided in the box. Still got dropouts! That convinced me that the AudioQuest cable probably wasn't to blame. Surely, OPPO wouldn't include an inferior cable in the box with their product, right?

Also, thanks for the picture. I didn't realize some HDMI connectors were shorter than others...that is interesting! I always figured size and shape were standardized; I'll know now to beware of differences in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Believe it or not, the culprit can be from your HDMI cable. I once lived with the issue for many months until I discovered this (pictured below) and ultimately cured it.
Noticed the cable on the right (the culprit) had a much shorter connector/contact compared to the one on the left. Due to the flaw, it has been creating all sorts of problems from not recognizing a device from time to time, and above all - dropouts! Switched and replaced with a generic cable provided by my cable company and everything's history.
Check and compare your cables, because not all HDMI cables are the same.

Carver HR-752 ~ Carver TFM-35 ~ Sony KDL-55W900A (Terk HDTVa OTA) ~ OPPO BDP-103 ~ AQ Cinnamon HDMI video & Diamondback analog audio ~ Monster Z2 biwire ~ Polk Audio LSi15
Waste not, want not. Well, except 4K OLED...that, I want.

Last edited by donottosmeok; Yesterday at 07:58 PM.
post #20556 of 20563 Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by donottosmeok View Post
80sGuy, thank you, too. However, I even tried swapping the AudioQuest out for the cable OPPO provided in the box. Still got dropouts! That convinced me that the AudioQuest cable probably wasn't to blame. Surely, OPPO wouldn't include an inferior cable in the box with their product, right?
If that's the case, carefully inspect the cable ends and make sure they are tightly connected, push them in as far as possible. The thing with HDMI connectors is that every tiny bit of off-line and wiggle play can cause the tiny pins to offset, thus causing dropouts and such. If you have to slide your equipment in and out for inspection, make sure they stay tightly connected when sliding back in.
post #20557 of 20563 Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

Question regarding the OPPO BDP-103's settings, specifically, Crossover. My OPPO utilizes the analog outs for two-channel audio. I listen with Polk Audio LSi15 speakers, which have an overall frequency response of 22Hz-27kHz, and -3dB limits of 32Hz-26kHz. The speaker's crossover frequencies are 150Hz, 800Hz, and 2.4kHz. Crossover slope for the woofer is 2nd Order LP, drivers are 1st Order HP and 2nd Order LP cascaded, and tweeter is 3rd Order HP. (All that means "not a darn thing" to me lol. All I know is, they all sound really good together. )

So...my question is...is there an "optimal" setting for the OPPO's Crossover, using these particular Polk Audio speakers? Should Crossover be left at the default--80Hz? The options Setup gives me are: 40-160Hz (in steps of 10Hz), 200Hz, and 250Hz.

I don't know which one's "best"...or even if there is a "best" OPPO crossover frequency for the capabilities of my speakers. As I said, the default sounds great; I just don't know if it's "best." Could I be "missing out" on some of the music? (Yes, dumb question...but I just don't understand why there are so many choices for the Crossover setting!)

Carver HR-752 ~ Carver TFM-35 ~ Sony KDL-55W900A (Terk HDTVa OTA) ~ OPPO BDP-103 ~ AQ Cinnamon HDMI video & Diamondback analog audio ~ Monster Z2 biwire ~ Polk Audio LSi15
post #20558 of 20563 Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you get 1080p/24 via Netflix on the Oppo 103? If so, how?
post #20559 of 20563 Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by donottosmeok View Post

So...my question is...is there an "optimal" setting for the OPPO's Crossover, using these particular Polk Audio speakers? Should Crossover be left at the default--80Hz? The options Setup gives me are: 40-160Hz (in steps of 10Hz), 200Hz, and 250Hz.

I don't know which one's "best"...or even if there is a "best" OPPO crossover frequency for the capabilities of my speakers. As I said, the default sounds great; I just don't know if it's "best." Could I be "missing out" on some of the music? (Yes, dumb question...but I just don't understand why there are so many choices for the Crossover setting!)
The "best" crossover for your setup is "no" crossover. You have full range speakers, and should be setting your speakers to "Large" in your Oppo's speaker configuration menu. When set to "large", the crossover has no effect.
donottosmeok likes this.
post #20560 of 20563 Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

80sGuy, thanks again. You know, it occurred to me...we're talking about audio dropouts while using the ANALOG outputs, not the HDMI. As far as ANALOG goes (that's what I use for two-channel stereo), I have AudioQuest Diamondback cables from the OPPO to the L/R inputs of my Carver receiver (I use it as a preamp). Those connections are very snug, no play at all.

My memory's bad; but someone suggested the dropouts were probably caused by something in the OPPO-to-Sony HDTV interface, which does connect by HDMI.

They suggested I either (1) turn the TV on while listening to two-channel music (so the OPPO/Sony could "communicate" with each other), or (2) unplug the HDMI (so the OPPO doesn't "look" for the Sony, and/or vice versa). Unfortunately, I still get dropouts either way. Turning the TV on--just so I can listen to music on my stereo without dropouts--seemed rather unrealistic. Likewise, unplugging the HDMI cable--for the same reason--seemed just as bothersome. Anyway, the dropouts don't last more than 2-3 seconds and are not frequent. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
If that's the case, carefully inspect the cable ends and make sure they are tightly connected, push them in as far as possible. The thing with HDMI connectors is that every tiny bit of off-line and wiggle play can cause the tiny pins to offset, thus causing dropouts and such. If you have to slide your equipment in and out for inspection, make sure they stay tightly connected when sliding back in.

Last edited by donottosmeok; Yesterday at 07:59 PM. Reason: Changed wording for clarification.
post #20561 of 20563 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

Hi DanF8500. Thanks! Just re-read your post and saw that it says Large disables Crossover. They were already set to Large, so I won't fiddle with any more settings in the Crossover. Thanks again!

PS No wonder they sounded great already... LOL

I now see in the Manual where it says, "When all speaker sizes are set to Large, there is no Bass Management." And yet, I'm still able to enter the Crossover settings and change the frequencies. It might have been beneficial for OPPO to disable that capability, if Large speaker size was selected. Anyway, thank you for your answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
The "best" crossover for your setup is "no" crossover. You have full range speakers, and should be setting your speakers to "Large" in your Oppo's speaker configuration menu. When set to "large", the crossover has no effect.

Last edited by donottosmeok; Yesterday at 08:07 PM. Reason: Clarify response
post #20562 of 20563 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginobli2311 View Post
No. The native apps in the Oppo don't support 1080p/24 output. I believe a Roku does support the above res/frame rate, and the Oppo's hdmi inputs will pass that thru fine.
post #20563 of 20563 Old Today, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginobli2311 View Post
Sadly no... All USA Netflix content is output at 60Hz.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page