Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 686 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 434Likes
post #20551 of 20578 Old 02-25-2015, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post
Guess maybe I should have worded it differently, is there any visual difference using split A/V or running through AVR?
I would say the only visual difference you might see is whatever video processing your AVR might do to the signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20552 of 20578 Old 02-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Not to impugn your idea of choice, but how gadget-inclined is your elderly mother? If she prefers simplicity for only listing to music CDs, then something like this would be more suitable instead of having to tinker with an amp/receiver, then the Oppo. But hey if she insists, then connecting the two FR/FL RCA analog stereo out and enjoy. Sounds great!
http://www.amazon.com/GPX-HC221B-Com...4897292&sr=1-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jay View Post
hi y'all, I'm putting together a small bookshelf system for my elderly mother used mainly for 2 channel listening. how is the sound quality of the 2 channel output? I'm looking at this oppo bdp-103 because I have heard good things about it. can anyone think of a better "CD player" for $500 or less? thanks in advance, jay (p.s. I notice the RCA outs are labeled FL,FR,SL,SR,C,SW,SBL and SBR. which two would I use for 2 channel stereo listening, maybe the FL and FR?)
post #20553 of 20578 Old 02-25-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked: 1187
Wow, that's pretty inexpensive. ^
post #20554 of 20578 Old 02-25-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post
Guess maybe I should have worded it differently, is there any visual difference using split A/V or running through AVR?
Same answer: there *should* be no difference.
post #20555 of 20578 Old 02-25-2015, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
80sGuy, thank you, too. However, I even tried swapping the AudioQuest out for the cable OPPO provided in the box. Still got dropouts! That convinced me that the AudioQuest cable probably wasn't to blame. Surely, OPPO wouldn't include an inferior cable in the box with their product, right?

Also, thanks for the picture. I didn't realize some HDMI connectors were shorter than others...that is interesting! I always figured size and shape were standardized; I'll know now to beware of differences in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Believe it or not, the culprit can be from your HDMI cable. I once lived with the issue for many months until I discovered this (pictured below) and ultimately cured it.
Noticed the cable on the right (the culprit) had a much shorter connector/contact compared to the one on the left. Due to the flaw, it has been creating all sorts of problems from not recognizing a device from time to time, and above all - dropouts! Switched and replaced with a generic cable provided by my cable company and everything's history.
Check and compare your cables, because not all HDMI cables are the same.

Carver HR-752 ~ Carver TFM-35 ~ Sony KDL-55W900A (Terk HDTVa OTA) ~ OPPO BDP-103 ~ AQ Cinnamon HDMI video & Diamondback analog audio ~ Monster Z2 biwire ~ Polk Audio LSi15
Waste not, want not. Well, except 4K OLED...that, I want.

Last edited by donottosmeok; 02-25-2015 at 07:58 PM.
post #20556 of 20578 Old 02-25-2015, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donottosmeok View Post
80sGuy, thank you, too. However, I even tried swapping the AudioQuest out for the cable OPPO provided in the box. Still got dropouts! That convinced me that the AudioQuest cable probably wasn't to blame. Surely, OPPO wouldn't include an inferior cable in the box with their product, right?
If that's the case, carefully inspect the cable ends and make sure they are tightly connected, push them in as far as possible. The thing with HDMI connectors is that every tiny bit of off-line and wiggle play can cause the tiny pins to offset, thus causing dropouts and such. If you have to slide your equipment in and out for inspection, make sure they stay tightly connected when sliding back in.
post #20557 of 20578 Old 02-25-2015, 06:54 PM

Question regarding the OPPO BDP-103's settings, specifically, Crossover. My OPPO utilizes the analog outs for two-channel audio. I listen with Polk Audio LSi15 speakers, which have an overall frequency response of 22Hz-27kHz, and -3dB limits of 32Hz-26kHz. The speaker's crossover frequencies are 150Hz, 800Hz, and 2.4kHz. Crossover slope for the woofer is 2nd Order LP, drivers are 1st Order HP and 2nd Order LP cascaded, and tweeter is 3rd Order HP. (All that means "not a darn thing" to me lol. All I know is, they all sound really good together. )

So...my question is...is there an "optimal" setting for the OPPO's Crossover, using these particular Polk Audio speakers? Should Crossover be left at the default--80Hz? The options Setup gives me are: 40-160Hz (in steps of 10Hz), 200Hz, and 250Hz.

I don't know which one's "best"...or even if there is a "best" OPPO crossover frequency for the capabilities of my speakers. As I said, the default sounds great; I just don't know if it's "best." Could I be "missing out" on some of the music? (Yes, dumb question...but I just don't understand why there are so many choices for the Crossover setting!)

Carver HR-752 ~ Carver TFM-35 ~ Sony KDL-55W900A (Terk HDTVa OTA) ~ OPPO BDP-103 ~ AQ Cinnamon HDMI video & Diamondback analog audio ~ Monster Z2 biwire ~ Polk Audio LSi15
post #20558 of 20578 Old 02-25-2015, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you get 1080p/24 via Netflix on the Oppo 103? If so, how?
post #20559 of 20578 Old 02-25-2015, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:

So...my question is...is there an "optimal" setting for the OPPO's Crossover, using these particular Polk Audio speakers? Should Crossover be left at the default--80Hz? The options Setup gives me are: 40-160Hz (in steps of 10Hz), 200Hz, and 250Hz.

I don't know which one's "best"...or even if there is a "best" OPPO crossover frequency for the capabilities of my speakers. As I said, the default sounds great; I just don't know if it's "best." Could I be "missing out" on some of the music? (Yes, dumb question...but I just don't understand why there are so many choices for the Crossover setting!)
The "best" crossover for your setup is "no" crossover. You have full range speakers, and should be setting your speakers to "Large" in your Oppo's speaker configuration menu. When set to "large", the crossover has no effect.
donottosmeok likes this.
post #20560 of 20578 Old 02-25-2015, 07:42 PM

80sGuy, thanks again. You know, it occurred to me...we're talking about audio dropouts while using the ANALOG outputs, not the HDMI. As far as ANALOG goes (that's what I use for two-channel stereo), I have AudioQuest Diamondback cables from the OPPO to the L/R inputs of my Carver receiver (I use it as a preamp). Those connections are very snug, no play at all.

My memory's bad; but someone suggested the dropouts were probably caused by something in the OPPO-to-Sony HDTV interface, which does connect by HDMI.

They suggested I either (1) turn the TV on while listening to two-channel music (so the OPPO/Sony could "communicate" with each other), or (2) unplug the HDMI (so the OPPO doesn't "look" for the Sony, and/or vice versa). Unfortunately, I still get dropouts either way. Turning the TV on--just so I can listen to music on my stereo without dropouts--seemed rather unrealistic. Likewise, unplugging the HDMI cable--for the same reason--seemed just as bothersome. Anyway, the dropouts don't last more than 2-3 seconds and are not frequent. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
If that's the case, carefully inspect the cable ends and make sure they are tightly connected, push them in as far as possible. The thing with HDMI connectors is that every tiny bit of off-line and wiggle play can cause the tiny pins to offset, thus causing dropouts and such. If you have to slide your equipment in and out for inspection, make sure they stay tightly connected when sliding back in.

Last edited by donottosmeok; 02-25-2015 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Changed wording for clarification.
post #20561 of 20578 Old 02-25-2015, 07:49 PM

Hi DanF8500. Thanks! Just re-read your post and saw that it says Large disables Crossover. They were already set to Large, so I won't fiddle with any more settings in the Crossover. Thanks again!

PS No wonder they sounded great already... LOL

I now see in the Manual where it says, "When all speaker sizes are set to Large, there is no Bass Management." And yet, I'm still able to enter the Crossover settings and change the frequencies. It might have been beneficial for OPPO to disable that capability, if Large speaker size was selected. Anyway, thank you for your answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
The "best" crossover for your setup is "no" crossover. You have full range speakers, and should be setting your speakers to "Large" in your Oppo's speaker configuration menu. When set to "large", the crossover has no effect.

Last edited by donottosmeok; 02-25-2015 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Clarify response
post #20562 of 20578 Old 02-25-2015, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginobli2311 View Post
No. The native apps in the Oppo don't support 1080p/24 output. I believe a Roku does support the above res/frame rate, and the Oppo's hdmi inputs will pass that thru fine.
post #20563 of 20578 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Sadly no... All USA Netflix content is output at 60Hz.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #20564 of 20578 Unread Today, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Is anyone using the Roku stick sold by Oppo? If so, I was wondering if adding a right angle adapter or any other HDMI adapter/cable would have an effect on the MHL powering the stick.
post #20565 of 20578 Unread Today, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym2relax View Post
Is anyone using the Roku stick sold by Oppo? If so, I was wondering if adding a right angle adapter or any other HDMI adapter/cable would have an effect on the MHL powering the stick.
No it doesn't.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
post #20566 of 20578 Unread Today, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Questions about Roku

I've got an Amazon Prime membership so I am wondering if it is worth it to pick up a Roku stick to watch Instant Video thru my 103. For those of you on this thread that use the Roku, are you satisfied with PQ and audio? Are there any cons or limitations that I should know about?

Thx in advance for your input...

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
post #20567 of 20578 Unread Today, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
No it doesn't.
Thanks Mongo. I just ordered the stick but did not want it sticking out the front. I also ordered a right angle adapter but may get a short HDMI cable to move it away from the front completely.
post #20568 of 20578 Unread Today, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym2relax View Post
Thanks Mongo. I just ordered the stick but did not want it sticking out the front. I also ordered a right angle adapter but may get a short HDMI cable to move it away from the front completely.
Did you make sure you got the correct angle bend? There is either 90* or 270*.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
post #20569 of 20578 Unread Today, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Did you make sure you got the correct angle bend? There is either 90* or 270*.
LOL, I came sooo close to ordering a 90 degree which would have the stick blocking the USB port. Ordered the 270 degree instead.

I'm now thinking of getting an HDMI extension cable that would move the stick away from the front completely.
post #20570 of 20578 Unread Today, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
I've got an Amazon Prime membership so I am wondering if it is worth it to pick up a Roku stick to watch Instant Video thru my 103. For those of you on this thread that use the Roku, are you satisfied with PQ and audio? Are there any cons or limitations that I should know about?

The FireTV Stick is a much better device and can be plugged into any HDMI port. The trade-off is that you need to use the FireTV remote. I have my FireTV stick plugged into my AVR and almost never use my Roku Stick any more.
post #20571 of 20578 Unread Today, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The FireTV Stick is a much better device and can be plugged into any HDMI port. The trade-off is that you need to use the FireTV remote. I have my FireTV stick plugged into my AVR and almost never use my Roku Stick any more.
It's a better device only if you want to limit yourself to the few services it offers. For people who want other options the Roku stick (or other Roku device) may still be a better choice. It depends on what your needs are.

post #20572 of 20578 Unread Today, 03:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Question regarding the OPPO BDP-103's settings, specifically, Crossover. My OPPO utilizes the analog outs for two-channel audio. I listen with Polk Audio LSi15 speakers, which have an overall frequency response of 22Hz-27kHz, and -3dB limits of 32Hz-26kHz. The speaker's crossover frequencies are 150Hz, 800Hz, and 2.4kHz. Crossover slope for the woofer is 2nd Order LP, drivers are 1st Order HP and 2nd Order LP cascaded, and tweeter is 3rd Order HP. (All that means "not a darn thing" to me lol. All I know is, they all sound really good together. )

You didn't mention whether you have a Subwoofer in your system. If you DON'T, then of course the correct solution is to set Left Front / Right Front to LARGE in the OPPO -- which will disable Crossover processing for them and tell the OPPO to send the entire frequency range to Left Front / Right Front.

If you DO have a Subwoofer connected to the Sub Analog output jack of your 103, then I would suggest you set Left Front / Right Front to SMALL and experiment with Crossover settings of 70Hz, 80Hz, and 90Hz, to see if you can hear a reason to prefer one of those. If you can't hear a reason, 80Hz is a good "one size fits all" choice. (Technically the "reason" here would be how the different Crossover frequencies interact with the "bass response" of your room -- the increase or decrease of bass at different frequencies due to the geometry of your room, position of the speakers, reflection or absorption of bass at the walls, floors, ceiling, and etc.)

The Rule of Thumb is to find the -3dB lower frequency for your speakers and set the Crossover to no lower than TWICE that. In your case, that's 32Hz, and twice that is 64Hz, so 70Hz is the lowest Crossover you should try under the Rule of Thumb. The reason is that the Crossover rolls into effect over a span of about 1 octave (factor of 2 in frequency). So a 70Hz Crossover, for example, would still be sending important amounts of audio to your speakers down to about 35Hz. So you want to select a Crossover which allows the speakers to produce quality audio down through that octave below the Crossover. Meanwhile the Sub is getting all that bass steered via the Crossover, and it is the COMBO of the Sub output and the output of your speakers which determines the bass through that octave (70 Hz down to 35Hz in this example). Below 35Hz the bass getting to the main speakers is attenuated sufficiently that it doesn't really matter if the main speakers are not capable of reproducing it well. Down that low the SUB is doing all the work.

The recommended UPPER limit of 90Hz actually comes from three things. First of all, if the Crossover is sending steered bass up that high in frequency to the Sub, the Sub has to be able to reproduce it. Many Subs naturally roll off above 80Hz. By the way, the Subwoofer may have ITS OWN built-in Crossover, and if so, you want to DISABLE that Crossover (a setting on the Sub itself), or set it to the highest possible frequency choice to get it out of the way as much as possible -- so the high bass output of the Subwoofer is not artificially reduced. You can do this because the OPPO is handling the Crossover processing, so the Sub's Crossover is not also needed.

Second of all, male voices go down to around 100Hz, and if you set the Crossover higher that means some of that will go to the Sub, which is generally not as well suited to reproduce those.

Third of all, the higher the bass frequencies you send to the Sub, the more your ears can pick up that the sound is coming FROM the location of the Subwoofer. I.e., you can locate the sound "in the Subwoofer". Lower bass frequencies are not "localizable" (unless you have the Sub positioned too close to your seating). Lower bass works by "pressurizing" the entire volume of air in the room, setting up "standing waves", and so it appears to come "from all around you". The problem with sending localizable, higher bass frequencies to the Sub is that it screws up stereo imaging. I.e. the sound is coming from the wrong location.

(The internal Crossover frequency specs in the speakers themselves are not relevant to this. Those determine which of the several speaker drivers built into each speaker handle which range of frequencies out of the overall input to the speaker.)

There's another important step here if you are using a Sub, and that's to balance the volume output of the Sub to match the output of Left Front and Right Front. Technically, with any speakers set to SMALL, the Analog Sub output jack needs +15dB boost to match the levels of the main speaker Analog output jacks. Memorizing that exact number, and the reason for it are not important. You just have to check that things are correct to be sure your Sub blends well with the output of the main speakers. You adjust this by using the Volume knob ON THE SUB ITSELF, comparing test tones for Sub output against test tones to the LF/RF speakers.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Today at 03:44 PM.
post #20573 of 20578 Unread Today, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

Haven't used the stick, but I have a Roku 2 XS, and I am very satisfied with the picture and sound quality. I think most people find that all of the recent Roku devices are identical in output--it's the features and processor speed (for the interface, not for the streaming video) that differs from one model to the next. The best audio you can get is Dolby Digital Plus (when the source material is arriving in that format).

I don't have my Roku connected to the 103, but there is no reason not to--all current Rokus except the cheapest one have HDMI outputs.

My only gripe with the Roku is actually with Amazon Instant Video--I think their server capacity must be terrible. Sometimes in prime time hours you get the blurriest, lo-rez image (HD won't load), and sometimes nothing at all. I don't believe this is due to low bandwidth on my internet connection or "throttling" by the ISP, since I have no trouble getting Vudu or Netflix at 1080p during those times of day.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #20574 of 20578 Unread Today, 03:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
One last try to get an answer to my simple question:

Can the 10x series "Diagnostic Video Output" jack be used to browse to the Network icon and its attached file servers to select albums and tracks, and to see the embedded tags, including album cover graphic, while a track is playing?

I know that works on the 93, because I've been doing it for years. My question is whether it still works on the 10x series or has been disabled, which has always seemed to me to be the implication of renaming that jack as a troubleshooting output only.

So, for the last time before I go into my theater, lock the door, and scream that everyone is so encased in their own little worlds that they can't even hear my question:

Has anybody here ever tried to use their 10x's Diagnostic Video Output to browse their Network file servers and choose tracks? If it lets you do that, does it show you the same screen with the title, running time progress bar, album cover thumbnail, etc. while the track is playing, that you'd see through a display attached to an HDMI jack?
The "Diagnostic Video" jack is designed to carry 480i Analog video output of the menus -- a last resort option for fixing settings mistakes which screw up HDMI output. That jack does *NOT* carry video from whatever CONTENT you might be playing. That's how OPPO is still able to include such an output even though the Blu-ray Disc Association has now banned Analog video output on licensed Blu-ray players.

I've not actually tried this, but I suspect you WILL be able to view the stuff shown in the OPPO media files browser. However you may not be able to view the Now Playing screen when playing a music file. And the Diagnostic Video output will be muted to black when playing a video file. It depends on just how stubborn BDA was in preventing any sort of "content" info from going out on that jack.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20575 of 20578 Unread Today, 06:33 PM

Hey guys.

I'm trying to send 4k from my Oppo 103 to my Vizio P series. It doesn't work. When I set it to auto it just says 1080p. When I try to force 4k...the screen goes blank.

Anyone know how to make this work?
post #20576 of 20578 Unread Today, 06:45 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Hey guys.

I'm trying to send 4k from my Oppo 103 to my Vizio P series. It doesn't work. When I set it to auto it just says 1080p. When I try to force 4k...the screen goes blank.

Anyone know how to make this work?
Many of the current 4K displays only have 1 HDMI input that will accept 4K (some have none that will accept 4K and just scale all inputs to 4K), so make sure you're connecting HDMI1 out from the Oppo to an appropriate input on your display. HDMI2 out from the Oppo can't do 4K.
post #20577 of 20578 Unread Today, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Many of the current 4K displays only have 1 HDMI input that will accept 4K (some have none that will accept 4K and just scale all inputs to 4K), so make sure you're connecting HDMI1 out from the Oppo to an appropriate input on your display. HDMI2 out from the Oppo can't do 4K.
Yea. I am going from the HDMI 1 on the Oppo to HDMI 5 on the P series and I still max out at 1080p.

Not sure the issue.
post #20578 of 20578 Unread Today, 06:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Are you playing a Blu-ray movie? The Home Menu on the player will still be 1080p, since it is 1080p/60 and the 103 can not output 4K/60.

Set 4K Output AUTO and play a Blu-ray movie and you should get 4K/24.
--Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page