Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 688 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 491Likes

Old 03-04-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4865 Post(s)
Liked: 1996
The better your display the better your Oppo 103's picture rendition.
eljr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 03:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 765
I have a question for those that are using the Auto Resume feature. If a disc is in the player does it start playing from the resumed point without pushing play when the player is powered up? I could have sworn before the latest FW update that when you powered up the player you had to hit play for the disc to start playback from the resumed point. It really irritates me now that when I power up my 103 and the 105D that the disc starts playing automatically.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I have a question for those that are using the Auto Resume feature. If a disc is in the player does it start playing from the resumed point without pushing play when the player is powered up? I could have sworn before the latest FW update that when you powered up the player you had to hit play for the disc to start playback from the resumed point. It really irritates me now that when I power up my 103 and the 105D that the disc starts playing automatically.

Bill
Turn off AutoPlay in the Setup menu, and when you turn on the player, you will be at the Oppo home screen with nothing playing. The disc won't start playing until you either press PLAY or highlight the disc icon and press ENTER, at which point the disc will auto-resume unless you cancel that by immediately pressing STOP.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
Old 03-05-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Turn off AutoPlay in the Setup menu, and when you turn on the player, you will be at the Oppo home screen with nothing playing. The disc won't start playing until you either press PLAY or highlight the disc icon and press ENTER, at which point the disc will auto-resume unless you cancel that by immediately pressing STOP.
Auto Play is off in both the 103 and when the 105D was in my system. I just powered up the 103 and it went right to play and resumed playback with the SACD that was playing yesterday.

Edit: I just went into the setup menu of the 103 and both Auto Play and Auto Resume were off . But the 103 started playing when I initially powered it up this morning with both of those auto features disabled. Very strange. So I went back into the setup menu and enabled Auto Resume and now it is working properly. I powered the 103 off and on several times and the disc did not start playing till I hit playback. Very strange indeed!

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Auto Play is off in both the 103 and when the 105D was in my system. I just powered up the 103 and it went right to play and resumed playback with the SACD that was playing yesterday.

Edit: I just went into the setup menu of the 103 and both Auto Play and Auto Resume were off . But the 103 started playing when I initially powered it up this morning with both of those auto features disabled. Very strange. So I went back into the setup menu and enabled Auto Resume and now it is working properly. I powered the 103 off and on several times and the disc did not start playing till I hit playback. Very strange indeed!

Bill
Always best to do a power refresh after each Firmware update. It is recommended on many electronic devices, including cellphones.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 140
So, I've been operating in complete idiot mode with one aspect of my 103's operation since I've gotten it: I have the analog subwoofer output connected directly to my buttkicker's amp, and it never occurred to me that changing the volume control on my receiver obviously wouldn't effect the buttkicker's output. Duhhhh. I watch movies primarily at the same volume level, within a ~4db range, so that's my excuse for not catching it until now.

Anyway, to remedy this situation, I'm going to change the output volume of my Oppo to variable. Am I correct in assuming that the Oppo's volume control only affects the analog outputs?

My second question is, does anyone know how much each increment of the Oppo's volume control corresponds to in terms of dB output? It sure would be nice if there was an option of having the volume control method match the ones used by AVRs i.e. starting with negative values, going up to 0 as reference level.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
So, I've been operating in complete idiot mode with one aspect of my 103's operation since I've gotten it: I have the analog subwoofer output connected directly to my buttkicker's amp, and it never occurred to me that changing the volume control on my receiver obviously wouldn't effect the buttkicker's output. Duhhhh. I watch movies primarily at the same volume level, within a ~4db range, so that's my excuse for not catching it until now.

Anyway, to remedy this situation, I'm going to change the output volume of my Oppo to variable. Am I correct in assuming that the Oppo's volume control only affects the analog outputs?

My second question is, does anyone know how much each increment of the Oppo's volume control corresponds to in terms of dB output? It sure would be nice if there was an option of having the volume control method match the ones used by AVRs i.e. starting with negative values, going up to 0 as reference level.
Yes the volume control of the player only operates the analog volume.
Each notch on the volume scale should be 1/2 db. So from -0- to 100 is a total of 50 db.

Why don't you just use the sub output of your receiver to control the transducers?
If you already have a sub connected to it, you could just use a passive rca splitter to
send the signals to your sub and transducers simultaneously.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 03-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Thanks for the info; I like being able to independently adjust the delay/distance of the buttkicker, as well as set a lower crossover (i.e. low-pass filter) than the sub.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Please remember that any and all personal sales belong in the classifieds.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 03-07-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hi guys,
I have a quick question regarding OPPO 103 Lineaer PCM conversion. I don't onw Oppo 103 yet but I think now I have a very good reason to based on the answer to my question.

I have been using PS3 (slim version) for a while and had it set to Linear PCM. Recently I bought miniDSP DL which provides Dirac room correction. It requires that the signal be sent as LPCM. So far so good.

Yesterday, I played Transformer Dark Of The Moon and it sounded very dull.I thought it was Dirac causing it. So I took it out of chain and connected PS3 straight to my avr (Marantz SR 6007). After Audyssey calibration, played movie and same issue. Now comes the interesting part. I went into PS3 sound settings and changed it to Bit-Stream from Linear PCM. Play movie and wooow day and night difference.

Even though ps3 shows support for DOLBY TRUE HD in Lineaer PCM, selecting Linear PCM brings a big difference in sound getting loss. Since I need to pass Linear PCM for Dirac to work, my only other option left is OPPO 103 only if it supports Dolby True HD and DTS HD in Linear PCM?

So my question, Does Oppo 103 support Dolby True HD + DTS HD in Lienar PCM mode? If yes then can someone please do a test by playing a movie that is in Dolby True HD (preferably Transformer Dark Of The Moon) with both modes to see if there is a noticeable difference b/w the two.

Thx a bunch.

Last edited by SherazNJ; 03-07-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
So my question, Does Oppo 103 support Dolby True HD + DTS HD in Lienar PCM mode?
Yes, it does. Works for all supported audio codecs.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
And also on pretty much any other standalone blu-ray player.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
And also on pretty much any other standalone blu-ray player.
So does ps3. It shows it in the menu as well. But when I played Transformer the dark moon in Linear PCM, there is a huge difference in sound. Its so obvious that one doesn't even have to pay attention to know the difference.

Have you tested any movie that supports Dolby True HD in both format and noticed any difference?
Old 03-07-2015, 10:50 AM
slb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm not sure if the 103 will be any better. When I send LPCM to my Sony receiver, the sound is definitely "duller" than when sending PCM. I think a few other 103 owners here have reported something similar, and I don't recall seeing a resolution or explanation.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So does ps3. It shows it in the menu as well. But when I played Transformer the dark moon in Linear PCM, there is a huge difference in sound. Its so obvious that one doesn't even have to pay attention to know the difference.

Have you tested any movie that supports Dolby True HD in both format and noticed any difference?
Pretty much any AVR or pre-pro will produce slightly different levels when LPCM is input vs bitstream. Some bitstream codecs also contain DRC and dialog boost instructions that can also effect results. That said, the differences are generally small, although even slight differences in levels can be perceived as changes in depth or quality of the audio. Any accurate comparison requires level matching, since some processors can produce level differences up to 5db or even more. Also good to note that not all processors will correctly apply the needed 10db boost to the LFE channel on LPCM input, or may also treat it differently with respect to DSP modes, EQ, etc.

Bottom line is that there's no appreciable difference in the sound of LPCM vs bitstream output from the player, but whatever is on the receiving end can/may treat the two differently.

With respect to your PS3, questions are best asked in the appropriate forum for that device.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb View Post
I'm not sure if the 103 will be any better. When I send LPCM to my Sony receiver, the sound is definitely "duller" than when sending PCM. I think a few other 103 owners here have reported something similar, and I don't recall seeing a resolution or explanation.
Thx for clarification.

Quote:
Pretty much any AVR or pre-pro will produce slightly different levels when LPCM is input vs bitstream. Some bitstream codecs also contain DRC and dialog boost instructions that can also effect results. That said, the differences are generally small, although even slight differences in levels can be perceived as changes in depth or quality of the audio. Any accurate comparison requires level matching, since some processors can produce level differences up to 5db or even more. Also good to note that not all processors will correctly apply the needed 10db boost to the LFE channel on LPCM input, or may also treat it differently with respect to DSP modes, EQ, etc.

Bottom line is that there's no appreciable difference in the sound of LPCM vs bitstream output from the player, but whatever is on the receiving end can/may treat the two differently.

With respect to your PS3, questions are best asked in the appropriate forum for that device.
Its not a slight difference. Its a big difference. I did feel that LPCM was less louder. I turned volumn 5db higher on my avr. Only dialog got louder and all other sound was dull.

Based on what you are saying rdgrimes, one is better of staying away from LPCM and let avr do the job?

Please note that this is not a PS3 related question. I did notice the issue arrising from PS3 but not asking for any opinion or solution for PS3 but was wondeing if OPPO solves the issue (just to be clear).
Old 03-07-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Based on what you are saying rdgrimes, one is better of staying away from LPCM and let avr do the job?
No, that's not what I meant. Here there's virtually no difference.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hello, I am having a lot of issues all of sudden with playback of SACD's and they are freezing, seemingly randomly, and require me to power cycle the unit (sometimes more than once) to get the discs to start playing. When it freezes there is no access from any buttons from both the remote and the unit itself. I have recently started using the Media Control App from a Samsung tablet, would this contribute to this issue in any way? I was using my iPhone prior to that and never had any issues.

HT: Pioneer SC-85, Anthem MCA 50, Oppo BDP-103, PS3
OSD ATM-7
2CH: Pioneer Elite SX-A9-J, Pioneer PL 518 turntable, Pioneer PD M455 CD, Pioneer CT-WM77R Tape
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, Ultracube 10 SW
Old 03-07-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
Hello, I am having a lot of issues all of sudden with playback of SACD's and they are freezing, seemingly randomly, and require me to power cycle the unit (sometimes more than once) to get the discs to start playing. When it freezes there is no access from any buttons from both the remote and the unit itself. I have recently started using the Media Control App from a Samsung tablet, would this contribute to this issue in any way? I was using my iPhone prior to that and never had any issues.
Try not using the app and see if the problem goes away. I assume you are meaning actual SACD discs. You should contact Oppo support if the app is causing this. Support for audio discs in the app is a fairly new feature. But on the surface this sounds like an issue with loss of contact from the tablet to the player.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Does it happen if you use just the player remote or the buttons on the front panel?

It happens only with SACDs, not with any other type of disc?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 03-07-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Try not using the app and see if the problem goes away. I assume you are meaning actual SACD discs. You should contact Oppo support if the app is causing this. Support for audio discs in the app is a fairly new feature. But on the surface this sounds like an issue with loss of contact from the tablet to the player.
Yeah I just ditched the tablet, it was a free gift and sitting around so thought it would be easier than using my iPhone. I am hoping that this is the cause...will report back at the end of day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Does it happen if you use just the player remote or the buttons on the front panel?

-Bill
Yeah only seems to happen with the SACD's, I tried a couple of DVD's and they worked fine, not that it makes conclusive. I am going to try the rest of the day with the remote/buttons on the front.

Also sent a note off to Oppo support.

Thanks for the quick assistance!

OSD ATM-7
2CH: Pioneer Elite SX-A9-J, Pioneer PL 518 turntable, Pioneer PD M455 CD, Pioneer CT-WM77R Tape
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, Ultracube 10 SW
Old 03-07-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:

-Bill
Interesting enough I had no issues the rest of the day using the device and I went back to using my iPhone and absolutely no problems at all. There must be something with the Android app...glad it was a freebie and it can go back in the drawer!

OSD ATM-7
Old 03-08-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Interesting enough I had no issues the rest of the day using the device and I went back to using my iPhone and absolutely no problems at all. There must be something with the Android app...glad it was a freebie and it can go back in the drawer!
More likely an issue with the wireless in the tablet. The app and the Oppo do not respond well to interruptions in network connections.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
More likely an issue with the wireless in the tablet. The app and the Oppo do not respond well to interruptions in network connections.
Possibly a hardware/software issue in the tablet. I tried with my iPad as well and it works flawlessly too. When I connect the Samsung again it starts to freeze up again.

OSD ATM-7
Old 03-08-2015, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Adding Network Library

I am considering buying this player but I would like to know about the limitations of adding your media library. I currently have a Panasonic BDT-110. It supports MKV but it has a severe limitation on the number of files you may have in a directory. Go over that and you need to create a new directory and then you have to basically start over with the menu.

Can anyone tell me how the BDP-103 handles adding network media and what limitations is has as far as the number of files in a directory.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2015, 01:48 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckain View Post
I am considering buying this player but I would like to know about the limitations of adding your media library. I currently have a Panasonic BDT-110. It supports MKV but it has a severe limitation on the number of files you may have in a directory. Go over that and you need to create a new directory and then you have to basically start over with the menu.

Can anyone tell me how the BDP-103 handles adding network media and what limitations is has as far as the number of files in a directory.

Thanks
Welcome to AVSForum.

I don't know what the upper limit on number of files would be. I sometimes experience some pauses when accessing a server with a few thousand files, but it does work. This is while displaying the file lists; not a problem when playing a file.

A bigger issue is the very basic file browser in the player itself. You can see illustrations and its capabilities in the online manual. Directories with hundreds of files will be tedious to navigate. I keep pools of symbolic links organized by household "profile" (me, my wife, everything) and first letter for that reason.

Some people are using tablets for player control; they have smoother interfaces.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll

Last edited by wmcclain; 03-08-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What do you mean by "symbolic links"?

Guess I'll try for myself, but can the Oppo follow "shortcuts" from a Windows folder?

My biggest issue is that the movies on my network sit a little deeper in the file structure than I'd like, but I'm not rebuilding my server at this point just to accommodate the player.

Server/DrivePool/Media/Movies. When you combine that with the Oppo nav adding the "video/music/pictures" layer, its a little tedious, especially for the rest of the family.

I've been thinking about adding a shortcut to the top level of the navigation, but never was sure if the Oppo would be able to read and follow it.

Quote:
Welcome to AVSForum.

Directories with hundreds of files will be tedious to navigate. I keep pools of symbolic links organized by household "profile" (me, my wife, everything) and first letter for that reason.

-Bill

Media Room: Epson 5030 / Onkyo NR-709 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
Den: Samsung 59D6500 Plasma & Monoprice in-walls
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC1:Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
HTPC2:Win8 Pro 64-bit, i3 2105, Radeon 6770
Old 03-09-2015, 10:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
What do you mean by "symbolic links"?
See this section of the FAQ: Are hard links supported on NTFS volumes?

It specifies NTFS, but the same links work over SMB file sharing, where the underlying file system can be anything supported by the server.

Links are not the same as shortcuts.

You might also look at DLNA servers; there is a list in the FAQ. Depending on their sophistication they can provide virtual views of your collection.

-Bill

Old 03-09-2015, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question analog out??

I am trying to get an analog 2 ch signal to a cd recorder but I have had no success so far. I down mixed a blu ray to 2 ch stereo but I am getting no signal to the analog in at the recorder (Sony WD###?). I did have success with an LG blu ray 2 ch to the analog in at the recorder. I am recording blu ray concert DVDs to 2 ch audio tracks on cdrs.
Thanks guys

No matter how hard you try - you cannot polish a turd!
Old 03-09-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerman View Post
I am trying to get an analog 2 ch signal to a cd recorder but I have had no success so far. I down mixed a blu ray to 2 ch stereo but I am getting no signal to the analog in at the recorder (Sony WD###?). I did have success with an LG blu ray 2 ch to the analog in at the recorder. I am recording blu ray concert DVDs to 2 ch audio tracks on cdrs.
Thanks guys
If the player is set to "stereo" downmix, those outputs are live all the time. You do have to have an active HDMI video connection at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc