Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 688 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 434Likes

post #20611 of 20633 Old 03-02-2015, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonDeyholos View Post
I'm having trouble with my 103. It's playing all my blurays normally with exception to one, Batman Begins. The disc is flawless so I don't think it is damaged. When I put it in, the oppo says it's a data disc and to access it through the "movie" tab. When I enter into that it comes up with a bunch of menus and things but nowhere to play the movie. It's an old movie so I don't know how the firmware couldn't be compatible with it but I checked my firmware anyway and it's up to date. I've searched around already with no answers. Anyone have any ideas? If nothing works I'll contact oppo tomorrow to try and figure it out.
I watched my Batman Begins BD again on my 103 last week and it played back perfectly. Mine is a strictly commercial disk that I bought from Amazon or Target.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20612 of 20633 Old 03-02-2015, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the exact same problem with "Pearl Harbor". I would love to hear of a solution, particularly if the problem is existing with other discs.
post #20613 of 20633 Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a 720P MP4 video file that I'd like to play and upscale / up convert to 1080P using the 103's Marvell Qdeo video processing - which I understand only happens through HDMI Out 1.
Will I get the same PQ going through the USB input as through the HDMI Inputs?
In other words is one source input better than the other?
post #20614 of 20633 Old 03-03-2015, 05:31 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Yates View Post
I have a 720P MP4 video file that I'd like to play and upscale / up convert to 1080P using the 103's Marvell Qdeo video processing - which I understand only happens through HDMI Out 1.
Welcome to AVSForum.

All sources will be treated the same in terms of video processing.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #20615 of 20633 Old 03-03-2015, 05:36 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
The end result will likely be different depending on what you're using to send your video file through one of the HDMI inputs. Is it a computer running media player software or some other media streamer (such as a WDTV) and outputting 1080p? If so, then the Oppo won't be scaling the image to 1080p because it's already 1080p at that point. If you play the file via a storage device attached to a USB input or through SMB network sharing, then the Oppo will both decode the MP4 file and perform the scaling to 1080p for you. Another option is to use DLNA, just make sure your DLNA server isn't configured to do any conversion to the file before passing it along to the Oppo.
post #20616 of 20633 Old 03-03-2015, 06:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonDeyholos View Post
I'm having trouble with my 103. It's playing all my blurays normally with exception to one, Batman Begins. The disc is flawless so I don't think it is damaged. When I put it in, the oppo says it's a data disc and to access it through the "movie" tab. When I enter into that it comes up with a bunch of menus and things but nowhere to play the movie. It's an old movie so I don't know how the firmware couldn't be compatible with it but I checked my firmware anyway and it's up to date. I've searched around already with no answers. Anyone have any ideas? If nothing works I'll contact oppo tomorrow to try and figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderphil View Post
I've had the exact same problem with "Pearl Harbor". I would love to hear of a solution, particularly if the problem is existing with other discs.
Failure to detect that the disc is a Blu-ray disc is a type of disc read error. One possibility is that the laser lens in the player has picked up a piece of dust or is filmed from stuff floating in the air and needs to be cleaned, but if the problem is only happening on one disc the odds are much greater that it is just a faulty disc. The tolerances in Blu-ray are tight enough that manufacturing defects may not be visible to the eye.

Try this: Open the Tray, gently wiggle the disc around in place in its spot in the Tray, which will give it a slightly different position when loading, and try loading the disc again. If the disc read problem is not too severe, this may be all that's needed for the player to get past it.

If possible, exchange the disc or try someone else's copy of the disc to confirm the problem really is just with your current copy of the disc.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20617 of 20633 Old 03-03-2015, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Had the same happening with one Bluray disc from star trek the next generation. There was not much wrong on the disc (at least visible to the eye) but after replacing it with a new copy the problem was solved.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #20618 of 20633 Old 03-03-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The end result will likely be different depending on what you're using to send your video file through one of the HDMI inputs. Is it a computer running media player software or some other media streamer (such as a WDTV) and outputting 1080p? If so, then the Oppo won't be scaling the image to 1080p because it's already 1080p at that point. If you play the file via a storage device attached to a USB input or through SMB network sharing, then the Oppo will both decode the MP4 file and perform the scaling to 1080p for you. Another option is to use DLNA, just make sure your DLNA server isn't configured to do any conversion to the file before passing it along to the Oppo.
Thanks! - got it - will let the Oppo do the decoding and upscaling. Oppo tech support just emailed me and confirmed that:
"best that you play the file directly from the USB drive and have the player process and scale the image, rather than take an image from an external HDMI source and have the player scale the image."

Just curious - if I do play this file through an external media player (Dune HD Smart H1) - which I understand has it own upscaling - though not as good as Oppo's - is there a way to "disable" the upscaling in the external device and let Oppo do it (better) instead?
post #20619 of 20633 Old 03-03-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Just curious - if I do play this file through an external media player (Dune HD Smart H1) - which I understand has it own upscaling - though not as good as Oppo's - is there a way to "disable" the upscaling in the external device and let Oppo do it (better) instead?
The Dune H1 has user-definable output resolution, but not "native" or "source direct", so you'd have to change the output setting for everything you play. But note: the Dune can act as an SMB server and if you turn that feature on, the Oppo can access files directly on any volume that the Dune is connected to. It will show up in the Oppo Network screen as "Dune" and no password is required. Obviously they both need to be on the same network.
post #20620 of 20633 Old 03-03-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
Anyone soon to be looking for a gently used Oppo 103 can message me. I bought a Sony BDP S6200 yesterday and the Oppo will soon to be moved onto pastures new.

Seggers
Seggers, I'm interested in the Oppo 103. Just registered to post, so I can't send message.
post #20621 of 20633 Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post
Since I have a similar setup, can you expand on this?
Wow, I lot has changed since I posted that. I upgraded to a ST60 and it was the ST50 that was softening the image. The ST60 uses the Mediatek chip which is much better than the Panasonic chip in the ST50. As a result I sold my Darbee and while I admit it had benefits financially it made sense at the time. The comments I made were in regard to the stuttering image that was present in my set up at the time. When played through the ST50 there was no stuttering. In regards to the Oppo subsequent firmware updates fixed all of the stuttering etc... issues I was having and I absolutely love the picture I get through either HDMI 1 or 2. I have no functional issues with the Oppo now. If you have the ST50 you will see a softening of the image especially with 720p sources that even the Oppo can't help.
post #20622 of 20633 Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3533 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
The better your display the better your Oppo 103's picture rendition.
post #20623 of 20633 Old Today, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 572
I have a question for those that are using the Auto Resume feature. If a disc is in the player does it start playing from the resumed point without pushing play when the player is powered up? I could have sworn before the latest FW update that when you powered up the player you had to hit play for the disc to start playback from the resumed point. It really irritates me now that when I power up my 103 and the 105D that the disc starts playing automatically.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #20624 of 20633 Old Today, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I have a question for those that are using the Auto Resume feature. If a disc is in the player does it start playing from the resumed point without pushing play when the player is powered up? I could have sworn before the latest FW update that when you powered up the player you had to hit play for the disc to start playback from the resumed point. It really irritates me now that when I power up my 103 and the 105D that the disc starts playing automatically.

Bill
Turn off AutoPlay in the Setup menu, and when you turn on the player, you will be at the Oppo home screen with nothing playing. The disc won't start playing until you either press PLAY or highlight the disc icon and press ENTER, at which point the disc will auto-resume unless you cancel that by immediately pressing STOP.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #20625 of 20633 Old Today, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Turn off AutoPlay in the Setup menu, and when you turn on the player, you will be at the Oppo home screen with nothing playing. The disc won't start playing until you either press PLAY or highlight the disc icon and press ENTER, at which point the disc will auto-resume unless you cancel that by immediately pressing STOP.
Auto Play is off in both the 103 and when the 105D was in my system. I just powered up the 103 and it went right to play and resumed playback with the SACD that was playing yesterday.

Edit: I just went into the setup menu of the 103 and both Auto Play and Auto Resume were off . But the 103 started playing when I initially powered it up this morning with both of those auto features disabled. Very strange. So I went back into the setup menu and enabled Auto Resume and now it is working properly. I powered the 103 off and on several times and the disc did not start playing till I hit playback. Very strange indeed!

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #20626 of 20633 Old Today, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson99 View Post
Seggers, I'm interested in the Oppo 103. Just registered to post, so I can't send message.
Not sure if you got it, or can get to it, but I sent you a PM as well.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #20627 of 20633 Old Today, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
Not sure if you got it, or can get to it, but I sent you a PM as well.

Seggers
I tried to respond, but it wouldn't let me. I sent a copy to an admin, but I don't think they forwarded it to you. I'll put my email address in my profile.
post #20628 of 20633 Old Today, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I tried to respond, but it wouldn't let me. I sent a copy to an admin, but I don't think they forwarded it to you. I'll put my email address in my profile.
I think you need to have some minimum number of posts before you can PM. Make a few more posts - there is a post testing thread somewhere...
post #20629 of 20633 Old Today, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Auto Play is off in both the 103 and when the 105D was in my system. I just powered up the 103 and it went right to play and resumed playback with the SACD that was playing yesterday.

Edit: I just went into the setup menu of the 103 and both Auto Play and Auto Resume were off . But the 103 started playing when I initially powered it up this morning with both of those auto features disabled. Very strange. So I went back into the setup menu and enabled Auto Resume and now it is working properly. I powered the 103 off and on several times and the disc did not start playing till I hit playback. Very strange indeed!

Bill
Always best to do a power refresh after each Firmware update. It is recommended on many electronic devices, including cellphones.
post #20630 of 20633 Old Today, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Post testing area.
post #20631 of 20633 Old Today, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 91
So, I've been operating in complete idiot mode with one aspect of my 103's operation since I've gotten it: I have the analog subwoofer output connected directly to my buttkicker's amp, and it never occurred to me that changing the volume control on my receiver obviously wouldn't effect the buttkicker's output. Duhhhh. I watch movies primarily at the same volume level, within a ~4db range, so that's my excuse for not catching it until now.

Anyway, to remedy this situation, I'm going to change the output volume of my Oppo to variable. Am I correct in assuming that the Oppo's volume control only affects the analog outputs?

My second question is, does anyone know how much each increment of the Oppo's volume control corresponds to in terms of dB output? It sure would be nice if there was an option of having the volume control method match the ones used by AVRs i.e. starting with negative values, going up to 0 as reference level.
post #20632 of 20633 Old Today, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
So, I've been operating in complete idiot mode with one aspect of my 103's operation since I've gotten it: I have the analog subwoofer output connected directly to my buttkicker's amp, and it never occurred to me that changing the volume control on my receiver obviously wouldn't effect the buttkicker's output. Duhhhh. I watch movies primarily at the same volume level, within a ~4db range, so that's my excuse for not catching it until now.

Anyway, to remedy this situation, I'm going to change the output volume of my Oppo to variable. Am I correct in assuming that the Oppo's volume control only affects the analog outputs?

My second question is, does anyone know how much each increment of the Oppo's volume control corresponds to in terms of dB output? It sure would be nice if there was an option of having the volume control method match the ones used by AVRs i.e. starting with negative values, going up to 0 as reference level.
Yes the volume control of the player only operates the analog volume.
Each notch on the volume scale should be 1/2 db. So from -0- to 100 is a total of 50 db.

Why don't you just use the sub output of your receiver to control the transducers?
If you already have a sub connected to it, you could just use a passive rca splitter to
send the signals to your sub and transducers simultaneously.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #20633 of 20633 Old Today, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Thanks for the info; I like being able to independently adjust the delay/distance of the buttkicker, as well as set a lower crossover (i.e. low-pass filter) than the sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc