Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 694 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2015, 04:45 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrrek View Post
Can anyone using a 4TB or larger USB drive connected to their BDP-103(D) comment on what I need to do to get the drive recognised? I'm using a Mac computer with NTFS for Mac installed, and tried a standard NTFS format, plus 1 and 2 partition formats, but the player is not seeing the drive. A 64GB USB stick works fine. It's a HGST Touro drive.
Other than making sure you're using the power supply that came with the drive rather than trying to power the drive via USB, I'm not sure what to suggest as it should work if it's formatted with a compatible file system (NTFS should be fine).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2015, 05:06 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Can anyone using a 4TB or larger USB drive connected to their BDP-103(D) comment on what I need to do to get the drive recognised? I'm using a Mac computer with NTFS for Mac installed, and tried a standard NTFS format, plus 1 and 2 partition formats, but the player is not seeing the drive. A 64GB USB stick works fine. It's a HGST Touro drive.
My NTFS use has been on 1TB drives. What you are doing should work. Mac doesn't use it's own partition table scheme, does it?

Does the disc mount on a Windows computer? You might try chkdsk repair on Windows to fixup any filesystem oddities. I would have a backup of my data before trying anything like that.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 03-23-2015, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
The Xtreamer Wonder is the only hardware player than supports a 4TB drive.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
Liked: 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey C View Post
Their online FAQ says:

"What is the maximum external hard drive capacity supported by Xtreamer Wonder devices?

"Your Device is compatible with external hard drives up to a maximum of 2.5TB. Also, most external hard drives do not require an
external power source to work, and can be sufficiently powered by the media hub via the USB port."

Old 03-23-2015, 06:35 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I have a 4TB external hard drive (Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STCA4000100)) and the Oppo read it fine. No issues.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:36 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey C View Post
The Oppo BDP-10x players support 4TB (and larger) drives and plenty of people have been using them without any problems.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
That's a good one but how long ago was it made? The prices were so good I'd go to the movies more often.
Kentucky Fried Movie - 1977.

There are some funny scenes in that movie. Rex Kramer Danger Seeker is classic.

Thankfully the Oppo makes the DVD look pretty good. Need to find it on Blu-ray.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
Old 03-23-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
I suggest you format your 4TB HDD using exFAT. Which is supported on the Oppo BDP-10x range of players, along with modern Mac and Windows computer operating systems

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 03-23-2015, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
My next Oppo 4K/3D/Darbee Universe Blu-ray player; I would love it so much if I could have the total freedom to revert to any firmware I wish for. Then I'd have the perfect BR player.

...And with Free-Region world compatibility; now that some movie studios are playing hard ball games with us. ...Disney 3D

Plus, enough processing power inside the chips for any future eventuality. ...Lionsgate Dolby Atmos, FOX, ...
Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 103
NorthSky,

Why are you submitting such a post in this topic when there's already a dedicated What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115 topic?!
gsr likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 03-24-2015, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Mongo171 likes this.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
Yep!

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
Old 03-24-2015, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to buy an Oppo 103 here in Canada. Amazon.ca has it for 499 CAD and Solutions A/V out of Ontario for 599 CAD. Any Canadians have experience buying an OPPO in Canada. Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2015, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpivovar View Post
Looking to buy an Oppo 103 here in Canada. Amazon.ca has it for 499 CAD and Solutions A/V out of Ontario for 599 CAD. Any Canadians have experience buying an OPPO in Canada. Any suggestions?
I bought my 103 from Amazon and had no problem at all and love it. Save the $100 and get it from Amazon!!

HT: Pioneer SC-85, Anthem MCA 50 Oppo BDP-103, PS3
OSD ATM-7
2CH: Pioneer Elite SX-A9-J, Pioneer PL 518 turntable, Pioneer PD M455 CD, Pioneer CT-WM77R Tape
SP: Paradigm Studio 60's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, Ultracube 10 SW
Old 03-24-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
I bought my 103 from Amazon and had no problem at all and love it. Save the $100 and get it from Amazon!!
Likewise. I haven't seen a lower price and shipping is free. Mine came double boxed and I had it within a couple of days.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I bought mine a couple years ago from Solutions A/V for $499, Amazon.ca wasn't selling them at the time. I would definitely go the Amazon.ca route this time for the price difference....
Old 03-25-2015, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
OPPO 103 load time?

what would you OPPO 103 owners say the load time for a CD is? yeah, go get a stop watch and put in a CD
Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
NorthSky,
Why are you submitting such a post in this topic when there's already a dedicated What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115 topic?!
♦ That was just a simple remark, suggestion, ...an innocent comment made here in this thread and directly related to my Oppo model number one wish.
That is truly all really.

But I can try to be more careful and selective in the future; my sincerest and deepest apologies for shaking the foundation of this thread.

Quote:
♦ Amazon is the better deal @ $100 less. I bought mine from A/V Solutions back then, when it was less expensive (the 103 model).
- No sweat buying Oppo in Canada, @ either place, but Amazon is much better now (right in line with Oppo's MSRP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
I bought mine a couple years ago from Solutions A/V for $499, Amazon.ca wasn't selling them at the time.
I would definitely go the Amazon.ca route this time for the price difference....
♦ Same exact here. And I completely agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jay View Post
what would you OPPO 103 owners say the load time for a CD is? yeah, go get a stop watch and put in a CD
♦ Between eleven and sixteen seconds (11-16), on average.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I waited like 5 minutes for a blu ray to load the other day, then realized I hadn't closed the drawer
Old 03-25-2015, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Audio CD? I have not timed it, but mine seems to load and be ready to play an audio CD in about 5 seconds or less after the tray closes.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
Audio CD? I have not timed it, but mine seems to load and be ready to play an audio CD in about 5 seconds or less after the tray closes.
From the time you:
1. Press Close (tray) to the time the ...
2. CD starts playing (00:00:00)

It takes much more than just five seconds. I just checked with a chronometer. ...The 1st time was 16 seconds, and the best time was 11 seconds,
and all the other times were between those two times. ...Check it out.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
From the time you:
1. Press Close (tray) to the time the ...
2. CD starts playing (00:00:00)

It takes much more than just five seconds. I just checked with a chronometer. ...The 1st time was 16 seconds, and the best time was 11 seconds,
and all the other times were between those two times. ...Check it out.
I'm curious, is this important for some reason?
dsinger likes this.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
11-16 secs...

11-16 secs... that's not much at all. for those of you out there that were wondering why I was wondering what the load time is on the 103: cause change is never easy...I currently have an NAD C525 BEE CD player (about 8 secs load time) and wanted to upgrade to something that can play DVD-audio as well as CD's.

Last edited by mr.jay; 03-25-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I'm curious, is this important for some reason?
A member asked the time; I just gave it to him.

* But to answer your question now; for me, no.
...Except if it would take a similar time as to load a HD DVD in one of my HD DVD players. ...About 2 minutes!
Then your question would be very important to me (the time it takes to load).
...Plus, the faster it loads the better for me it is. Eg.; my Rotel CD player (RCD-991) loads in five (5) secs. ...Fastest: 4 seconds.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
A member asked the time; I just gave it to him.

* But to answer your question now; for me, no.
...Except if it would take a similar time as to load a HD DVD in one of my HD DVD players. ...About 2 minutes!
Then your question would be very important to me (the time it takes to load).
...Plus, the faster it loads the better for me it is. Eg.; my Rotel CD player (RCD-991) loads in five (5) secs. ...Fastest: 4 seconds.
Right, but my point is if you've decided to watch/listen to some media and the load time is beyond a minute or two(your HD-DVD) at most are you not going to watch/listen? Maybe it's just me, but if I decide to watch something I don't care if it takes 5 secs or even 2 minutes to load, I'm still going to watch it. I suppose my question is, why is it better for you if your Rotel load in 5 secs or not, I'm just curious is all. I realize it's a metric that players are sometimes judged by, but is it really of any value?

If it didn't load at all, then that would be a problem.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Right, but my point is if you've decided to watch/listen to some media and the load time is beyond a minute or two(your HD-DVD) at most are you not going to watch/listen? Maybe it's just me, but if I decide to watch something I don't care if it takes 5 secs or even 2 minutes to load, I'm still going to watch it. I suppose my question is, why is it better for you if your Rotel load in 5 secs or not, I'm just curious is all. I realize it's a metric that players are sometimes judged by, but is it really of any value?

Oh, now I see your point. ...That's a valid point, and I don't question it.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Altough I am not the guy with the Rotel, I wanted to give my opinion.

I guess we all have different levels of patience. If it took 2 minutes to load I would not be watching it, I would be reparing the window through which I would have thrown the player through! For me life is too short for waiting! When I went from a 100$ Sony player to a 103 when it came out, one of the many features of the 103 I loved over the Sony was its speed. I respect your patience, but I don't think the speed of a player is that irrelevant to most people.
eljr likes this.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post
Altough I am not the guy with the Rotel, I wanted to give my opinion.

I guess we all have different levels of patience. If it took 2 minutes to load I would not be watching it, I would be reparing the window through which I would have thrown the player through! For me life is too short for waiting! When I went from a 100$ Sony player to a 103 when it came out, one of the many features of the 103 I loved over the Sony was its speed. I respect your patience, but I don't think the speed of a player is that irrelevant to most people.
I don't think it's the speed so much at the beginning when trying out new technology. When the HD DVD players first came out we didn't care how long it took, we were just excited about being able to watch an HD movie for the first time.

lujan
761 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
Old 03-26-2015, 06:04 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I don't think it's the speed so much at the beginning when trying out new technology. When the HD DVD players first came out we didn't care how long it took, we were just excited about being able to watch an HD movie for the first time.
Right. But going from load times in the minutes to load times of 10-20 seconds is definitely a huge difference and one that most users will appreciate. Going from 10-20 seconds to 5 seconds really isn't a big deal to most people. If nothing else, it takes a few moments to go sit down after putting the disc in the tray and hitting the close button.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Right. But going from load times in the minutes to load times of 10-20 seconds is definitely a huge difference and one that most users will appreciate. Going from 10-20 seconds to 5 seconds really isn't a big deal to most people. If nothing else, it takes a few moments to go sit down after putting the disc in the tray and hitting the close button.
Agreed, there is a comfort range where any improvment becomes insignificant.

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc