Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 695 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 453Likes

post #20821 of 20844 Old 03-25-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
A member asked the time; I just gave it to him.

* But to answer your question now; for me, no.
...Except if it would take a similar time as to load a HD DVD in one of my HD DVD players. ...About 2 minutes!
Then your question would be very important to me (the time it takes to load).
...Plus, the faster it loads the better for me it is. Eg.; my Rotel CD player (RCD-991) loads in five (5) secs. ...Fastest: 4 seconds.
Right, but my point is if you've decided to watch/listen to some media and the load time is beyond a minute or two(your HD-DVD) at most are you not going to watch/listen? Maybe it's just me, but if I decide to watch something I don't care if it takes 5 secs or even 2 minutes to load, I'm still going to watch it. I suppose my question is, why is it better for you if your Rotel load in 5 secs or not, I'm just curious is all. I realize it's a metric that players are sometimes judged by, but is it really of any value?

If it didn't load at all, then that would be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20822 of 20844 Old 03-25-2015, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Right, but my point is if you've decided to watch/listen to some media and the load time is beyond a minute or two(your HD-DVD) at most are you not going to watch/listen? Maybe it's just me, but if I decide to watch something I don't care if it takes 5 secs or even 2 minutes to load, I'm still going to watch it. I suppose my question is, why is it better for you if your Rotel load in 5 secs or not, I'm just curious is all. I realize it's a metric that players are sometimes judged by, but is it really of any value?

Oh, now I see your point. ...That's a valid point, and I don't question it.
post #20823 of 20844 Old 03-25-2015, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post

Altough I am not the guy with the Rotel, I wanted to give my opinion.

I guess we all have different levels of patience. If it took 2 minutes to load I would not be watching it, I would be reparing the window through which I would have thrown the player through! For me life is too short for waiting! When I went from a 100$ Sony player to a 103 when it came out, one of the many features of the 103 I loved over the Sony was its speed. I respect your patience, but I don't think the speed of a player is that irrelevant to most people.
post #20824 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post
Altough I am not the guy with the Rotel, I wanted to give my opinion.

I guess we all have different levels of patience. If it took 2 minutes to load I would not be watching it, I would be reparing the window through which I would have thrown the player through! For me life is too short for waiting! When I went from a 100$ Sony player to a 103 when it came out, one of the many features of the 103 I loved over the Sony was its speed. I respect your patience, but I don't think the speed of a player is that irrelevant to most people.
I don't think it's the speed so much at the beginning when trying out new technology. When the HD DVD players first came out we didn't care how long it took, we were just excited about being able to watch an HD movie for the first time.

lujan
749 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #20825 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 06:04 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I don't think it's the speed so much at the beginning when trying out new technology. When the HD DVD players first came out we didn't care how long it took, we were just excited about being able to watch an HD movie for the first time.
Right. But going from load times in the minutes to load times of 10-20 seconds is definitely a huge difference and one that most users will appreciate. Going from 10-20 seconds to 5 seconds really isn't a big deal to most people. If nothing else, it takes a few moments to go sit down after putting the disc in the tray and hitting the close button.
post #20826 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Right. But going from load times in the minutes to load times of 10-20 seconds is definitely a huge difference and one that most users will appreciate. Going from 10-20 seconds to 5 seconds really isn't a big deal to most people. If nothing else, it takes a few moments to go sit down after putting the disc in the tray and hitting the close button.
Agreed, there is a comfort range where any improvment becomes insignificant.
post #20827 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi

Could you help me with the following questions?

1. Oppo said its Qdeo video processing is really good. And Is it better than that in high end av receiver like Marantz 7009? And also what about its audio decoding compared to receiver? I am wondering if I output audio directly to receiver using HDMI , do I just not use oppo'audio processing?

2. Do you do split av so one hdmi goes to projector the other hdmi hoes to receiver? Or do you just use one hdmi output from oppo then go to receiver for both video and audio? Which one is better ?

3. Can I connect Apple tv to oppo using one HDMI input so I can watch content of Apple TV using oppo? Is there video and audio difference between this method and the method by which Apple TV is directly connected to receiver?

4. Can you recommend one mhl cable so I can connect my iPhone to oppo?

5. Why YouTube in oppo does not have functions like add to favorite etc? I fount YouTube in oppo is not easier to use?

6. I downloaded iPhone remote apps but I cannot use iPhone keyboard for input? Any solutions?

Thank you so much.
post #20828 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Hi

1. Oppo said its Qdeo video processing is really good. And Is it better than that in high end av receiver like Marantz 7009? And also what about its audio decoding compared to receiver? I am wondering if I output audio directly to receiver using HDMI , do I just not use oppo'audio processing?

Depending on your receiver, you could/would/should use the audio processing from the receiver. That is my personal setup.

2. Do you do split av so one hdmi goes to projector the other hdmi hoes to receiver? Or do you just use one hdmi output from oppo then go to receiver for both video and audio? Which one is better ?

That is what most senior members here recommend, HDMI 1 to your display and HDMI 2 to your receiver.

3. Can I connect Apple tv to oppo using one HDMI input so I can watch content of Apple TV using oppo? Is there video and audio difference between this method and the method by which Apple TV is directly connected to receiver?

Yes, you may connect directly to the OPPO for better video processing, again depending on your receivers capabilities.

I will leave it to another member to respond on this one.

5. Why YouTube in oppo does not have functions like add to favorite etc? I fount YouTube in oppo is not easier to use?

6. I downloaded iPhone remote apps but I cannot use iPhone keyboard for input? Any solutions?

Thank you so much.
See answers above in the quoted section below your questions.

HT: Pioneer SC-85, Oppo BDP-103, PS3
OSD ATM-7
2CH: Pioneer Elite SX-A9-J, Pioneer PL 518 turntable, Pioneer PD M455 CD, Pioneer CT-WM77R Tape
Paradigm Studio 60's, Studio CC, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, Ultracube 10 SW
post #20829 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Hi

Thank you so much.
1) It depends on the equipment you are using, but for the most part the video processing in the player will
usually equal or beat the processing in most AVRs. I am not personally familiar with the 7009,
but I think it's likely the player is just as good or better.
Sometimes an AVR or pre-amp will have the same processor chip that the player does, but even then it comes
down to how the software uses the chip, and Oppo is well known for being quite diligent in getting the best
processing out of their hardware, and thus the 10x series of Oppo players is known worldwide for being top
notch in that realm.

The basic audio decoding in the the player works very well, and as long as an AVR is capable of doing the same,
they are usually pretty equal. Not much difference in having the player decode the audio or having the AVR decode it.
It's a pretty simple process that either works or doesn't work.
I think most users will bitstream their audio form the player and have the AVR decode it,
but it's just a personal choice most of the time.

2) The technical reason to use SPLIT A/V is usually so that you can send things like 3D or 4k images to your
display IF your external processor can't pass or process those mediums.
Some people choose to split the audio and video into two separate outputs anyway, but it's really not necessary
outside of bypassing your AVR for a specific reason.
Some people think that you get a better image to your display, but that's really not true UNLESS your AVR is
doing something that truncates the image. If that is true then again doing the split a/v option might be better.

3) Yes you can do that. Just connect the ATV to one of the HDMI inputs, and then when you want to use the ATV,
you just change the source/input on the player to the proper HDMI input and enjoy.
It pretty much works the same as changing to a different input on your AVR.
By running it though the player, you have the advantage of using the post processing in the player
to better the image if your AVR isn't as good as the player in that realm.
However it may just be more of a personal choice.
On aspect to consider is that if you run it though the player, you will have to power on the player to
use your ATV, and for some people that is either no big deal or they don't like it, so it's up to you.

4) You aren't going to be able to do much with sending your iPhone's data into the player that way.
You will basically just be copying the image you see on the phone onto the display they player is connected to.
In order to accomplish much more, try installing the free Media Control App from the Apple App Store and use
that to connect to the player and you will have a plethora of things you do with it.

5) The YouTube APPS will be much more limited that when you are using it on a desktop.
It's possible that a newer version with better features may exist elsewhere but not in the 10x players too.
It's up to YouTube to provide the update if they can and are willing to,
but again the apps in general are usually pretty limited in their options.
YouTube is also kind of known for not making their apps the best they can be.

6) I don't know why you can't use your iPhone's keyboard.
I have used the app with my iPad before and the keyboard has worked ok for me.
Be sure you have the latest version of the app installed, or even possibly try deleting the app and re-installing it.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #20830 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 123
^^

Concerning YouTube and the Oppo, I find it's very easy to start to youtube app on the phone and then pair it with the Oppo. Then I can operate youtube from the phone. There is greater functionality, and the search feature is easier to use with the phone's keyboard. No need even to start the youtube app on Oppo if you handle it this way.
Smarty-pants and scary_harry like this.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #20831 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
^^

Concerning YouTube and the Oppo, I find it's very easy to start to youtube app on the phone and then pair it with the Oppo. Then I can operate youtube from the phone. There is greater functionality, and the search feature is easier to use with the phone's keyboard. No need even to start the youtube app on Oppo if you handle it this way.
Interesting, how is done? I have an Android tablet. So I would start the YouTube app on my tablet then somehow there is a way to tell it to play a video to the Oppo?
post #20832 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've got the upper GI bug and currently own the BDP-93. Is the 103 an upgrade of should I take a bigger bite? I want the upgrade more for music.

Lifes a beach and then you die....
post #20833 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post
Interesting, how is done? I have an Android tablet. So I would start the YouTube app on my tablet then somehow there is a way to tell it to play a video to the Oppo?
Starting in the YouTube app on the OPPO, you "pair" your tablet with the player. Then, using the YouTube app on the tablet, you select the content you want to play, but use the function in the app to play it on a target device (the OPPO). Basically the app on the tablet causes the OPPO to start streaming the YouTube content. The content goes directly from YouTube to the OPPO -- not through the tablet. The table is only used for selection and playback control.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20834 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Starting in the YouTube app on the OPPO, you "pair" your tablet with the player. Then, using the YouTube app on the tablet, you select the content you want to play, but use the function in the app to play it on a target device (the OPPO). Basically the app on the tablet causes the OPPO to start streaming the YouTube content. The content goes directly from YouTube to the OPPO -- not through the tablet. The table is only used for selection and playback control.
--Bob
Thanks, I was just going to answer the OP, since he was responding to something I'd written. Just one additional step, to be clear: Once you start up the youtube app on the Oppo, hit the UP arrow once to go to the little gear wheel ("Sign In and Settings"). There you'll see "Pair Device," just follow the instructions.

If the device is an iPad or an iPhone, once it's paired with the Oppo, you don't even need to start the Oppo's youtube app; there is an icon on the title bar of the iPad or iPhone youtube app that looks like a rectangle with wavy lines on the lower left corner. Tap it, and you'll see Oppo listed as one of the options. Once you tap Oppo there, the Oppo player will load and run its youtube app all by itself, and then you can use the iPad or iPhone youtube app to select and play anything on youtube. (In my system, however, the pairing will sometimes "go away," and you have to repair the device as described in the previous paragraph).

A nice feature of using a mobile device to control the Oppo's youtube app is that you can drag the youtube video's timeline forwards or backwards to skip around in the item being played.
warrian likes this.

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #20835 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjmwj View Post
I've got the upper GI bug and currently own the BDP-93. Is the 103 an upgrade of should I take a bigger bite? I want the upgrade more for music.
If you're using HDMI to transmit audio, both players will give the same result. I haven't owned a 93, so I can't say if there is a difference in the quality of the analog outputs.

Not sure how the 93 handles DSD--I'm sure someone here can address that if that is a concern you have.

post #20836 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
If the device is an iPad or an iPhone, once it's paired with the Oppo, you don't even need to start the Oppo's youtube app; there is an icon on the title bar of the iPad or iPhone youtube app that looks like a rectangle with wavy lines on the lower left corner. Tap it, and you'll see Oppo listed as one of the options. Once you tap Oppo there, the Oppo player will load and run its youtube app all by itself, and then you can use the iPad or iPhone youtube app to select and play anything on youtube.
Android works the same way once paired.

You can also cast from the Netflix app to the Oppo. There is probably the same feature available on apple devices.

X
post #20837 of 20844 Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 PM

Thanks guys, I will try this this week end. You can always count on this forum to learn new ways of using our gear!
post #20838 of 20844 Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
From the time you:
1. Press Close (tray) to the time the ...
2. CD starts playing (00:00:00)

It takes much more than just five seconds. I just checked with a chronometer. ...The 1st time was 16 seconds, and the best time was 11 seconds,
and all the other times were between those two times. ...Check it out.
I stand corrected. Finally timed it last night and yes, on my BDP-103 it takes anywhere from 10-20 seconds from the time the tray closes until the CD starts to play...not 5 seconds as I had thought. Guess I never paid much attention to it. I am usually listening to music while doing something else and as soon as I close the tray it is not like I am sitting there tapping my foot waiting on the 103.
post #20839 of 20844 Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
I stand corrected. Finally timed it last night and yes, on my BDP-103 it takes anywhere from 10-20 seconds from the time the tray closes until the CD starts to play...not 5 seconds as I had thought. Guess I never paid much attention to it. I am usually listening to music while doing something else and as soon as I close the tray it is not like I am sitting there tapping my foot waiting on the 103.
...That is nothing of great importance; the main is that it works. ...Slow, as compared to other players, but it plays, eventually.

* Looking forward to the next higher up level; the Oppo BDP-115D. ...I intend to get it; if all the stars properly aligned in the sky.

Very happy with my 103. ...For now.

Last edited by NorthSky; Yesterday at 02:49 PM.
post #20840 of 20844 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
...That is nothing of great importance; the main is that it works. ...Slow, as compared to other players, but it plays, eventually.
Comparing CD load times of a Bluray player to a dedicated CD player isn't really an apples to apples comparison as the Bluray player most likely needs extra time to identify the type of disc that was just inserted (since a Bluray player has multiple lasers which are used for different disc types, this process is definitely more time consuming), do any HDMI handshakes that are needed, etc. before playback can begin - much of which a dedicated CD player doesn't need to worry about. The apples to apples comparison would be comparing load times to other Bluray players.
Smarty-pants and decibels like this.
post #20841 of 20844 Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Good thing you just mentioned that; I would have never thought of it myself.
post #20842 of 20844 Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you all get 24p output from the Netflix app on the BDP-103? I am using the Netflix app in Australia (Netflix has just launched here) and I seem to be stuck at 50Hz according to my TV, even if I change the BDP-103 settings to force 1080/24p. Any suggestions? My TV is a Samsung F8500 plasma if it matters.
post #20843 of 20844 Old Today, 02:28 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllogistic View Post
Do you all get 24p output from the Netflix app on the BDP-103? I am using the Netflix app in Australia (Netflix has just launched here) and I seem to be stuck at 50Hz according to my TV, even if I change the BDP-103 settings to force 1080/24p. Any suggestions? My TV is a Samsung F8500 plasma if it matters.
I live in Aus and have the 103 and have no issues using the Netflix app on that getting 24p
post #20844 of 20844 Old Today, 05:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
The Netflix native app on the US players is not able to receive /24 from the Netflix servers. What it receives is /60.

The player does not convert /60 to /24 (except for 480i/60 from SD-DVD discs). The "Forced" option in 1080p/24 Output tells the player it is OK to send /24 even if the device it is sending to says it can't accept /24 during the HDMI handshake. Some projectors that work fine with /24 input have a screwy handshake like that. But even so, 1080p/60 content gets output as /60.

If the Netflix app and servers work differently in Australia it's news to me.

The only thing you can try is to set TV System to NTSC to allow /60 output instead of /50. But if your TV can't handle /60 -- if it only works with /50 -- you will lose video.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Today at 05:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page