Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 696 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 455Likes

post #20851 of 20870 Old 03-29-2015, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question. I'm going to be picking up a Bose Solo 15 to sit my Kuro monitor on top of (which has no speakers). I intend to run an optical cable directly into the Oppo from the Bose and noticed that I have four different options under audio settings for the Optical Input.

Bitstream - This is what I used with my previous Sony CT660 soundbar, which had decoding capabilities. But I'm pretty sure the Bose doesn't have any, so that leaves me with the three LPCM options (48k, 92k, 192k). Any idea which one I'm supposed to use or will it even matter?

Last edited by alettiere; 03-29-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20852 of 20870 Old 03-29-2015, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllogistic View Post
Do you all get 24p output from the Netflix app on the BDP-103? I am using the Netflix app in Australia (Netflix has just launched here) and I seem to be stuck at 50Hz according to my TV, even if I change the BDP-103 settings to force 1080/24p. Any suggestions? My TV is a Samsung F8500 plasma if it matters.
Posted this earlier: You should set the OPPO to output NTSC. Blu-ray is not impacted, Netflix will be smooth, and your Samsung will recognize 60P. I got this response from OPPO, and it worked for me and others.
post #20853 of 20870 Old 03-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
Question. I'm going to be picking up a Bose Solo 15 to sit my Kuro monitor on top of (which has no speakers). I intend to run an optical cable directly into the Oppo from the Bose and noticed that I have four different options under audio settings for the Optical Input.

Bitstream - This is what I used with my previous Sony CT660 soundbar, which had decoding capabilities. But I'm pretty sure the Bose doesn't have any, so that leaves me with the three LPCM options (48k, 92k, 192k). Any idea which one I'm supposed to use or will it even matter?
Is this the only speaker you intend to use? If you are trying to use it as a Center speaker -- i.e., part of a multi-speaker setup -- you are going to have problems. For one thing the volume setting on the Bose is independent of however you are controlling volume for the other speakers. In addition, the Optical output of the OPPO will include audio for all the speakers when you play multi-channel content, which means the audio for, say, the Surround speakers will ALSO come out of the Bose -- not what you want.

If you are intending to use it as your only speaker, I suggest you try the Bitstream setting first. The Bose literature is suspiciously silent about what digital audio formats this box will accept on its Optical input, but odds are it will accept Dolby Digital 5.1 48KHz Bitstreams as many TVs will output that on their "external sound system" Optical output jack. Check with low volume to start. If you get no sound or garbage sound change the OPPO to LPCM. The LPCM choices let you limit the output to what the receiving device can accept. If you set 192KHz there is no limit, but lower rate content (e.g, CDs at 44.1KHz or movies at 48KHz) will still be sent out at their native rate -- not raised to 192KHz. Since Bose doesn't say what their box will accept, it would probably be best to set 48KHz when using LPCM. Choosing LPCM means the OPPO will send a Stereo down-mix to the box if your play multi-channel content.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20854 of 20870 Old 03-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPOrtunist View Post
The other day when viewing with Simulated 3D engaged, I tried to use the zoom function but it did not work. Any ideas why not? Thanks.
Simplifying here, but 3D output acts rather like Source Direct.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20855 of 20870 Old 03-29-2015, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Is this the only speaker you intend to use? If you are trying to use it as a Center speaker -- i.e., part of a multi-speaker setup -- you are going to have problems. For one thing the volume setting on the Bose is independent of however you are controlling volume for the other speakers. In addition, the Optical output of the OPPO will include audio for all the speakers when you play multi-channel content, which means the audio for, say, the Surround speakers will ALSO come out of the Bose -- not what you want.

If you are intending to use it as your only speaker, I suggest you try the Bitstream setting first. The Bose literature is suspiciously silent about what digital audio formats this box will accept on its Optical input, but odds are it will accept Dolby Digital 5.1 48KHz Bitstreams as many TVs will output that on their "external sound system" Optical output jack. Check with low volume to start. If you get no sound or garbage sound change the OPPO to LPCM. The LPCM choices let you limit the output to what the receiving device can accept. If you set 192KHz there is no limit, but lower rate content (e.g, CDs at 44.1KHz or movies at 48KHz) will still be sent out at their native rate -- not raised to 192KHz. Since Bose doesn't say what their box will accept, it would probably be best to set 48KHz when using LPCM. Choosing LPCM means the OPPO will send a Stereo down-mix to the box if your play multi-channel content.
--Bob
I guess I'll just have to try Bitstream and then try LPCM if it doesn't sound right. I'll be using it as my only speaker. Nothing else.
post #20856 of 20870 Old 03-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ OK, if Bitstream isn't working it will be obvious -- not subtle.
--Bob

post #20857 of 20870 Old 03-29-2015, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't know if this has been asked or not.. Tried to search but couldn't find it. If you run hdmi in from another source will the OPPO let you vertically stretch that image for CIH ? Like say from my HTPC? Thanks

post #20858 of 20870 Old 03-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes.
--Bob
post #20859 of 20870 Old 03-29-2015, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've never had a DVD that played sound out of sync before. Seems on all my older players, the sound ALWAYS matched up with the video.

On my new Oppo, the sound is really out of sync. I found the setting to change the sync on it, but it took forever to find a setting that looked right based on trying to match dialog with mouth motions. Is there a better way to do this? Is this something particular to my setup? I'm splitting the audio to the second HDMI to my older AVR (a pioneer Elite).

I just watched The Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies and the lips of the actors never really matched up with any of the half dozen or more settings I tried to use.

Help!?!?!
post #20860 of 20870 Old 03-29-2015, 08:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ If I understand you correctly, you have HDMI 1 from the OPPO going direct to the Display for video and HDMI 2 from the OPPO going to the AVR for audio.

Is audio "Late" -- lips move before you hear the sound? If so, you are probably suffering from the "helpful AVR" problem. Your AVR doesn't know it has been bypassed for video and so it is applying a chunk of audio delay "to be helpful" -- i.e., to compensate for its own, internal video processing time.

To fix this, you need to convince the AVR it isn't processing video. Either disable its HDMI output or set the AVR to "pass through" for HDMI video.

-----------------------------------------------

Audio and video are in sync at the outputs of the OPPO (with the A/V Sync setting at 0). If you can't figure out how to get the AVR to stop altering the audio timing then you have two choices. First, run video through the AVR as well. This is the normal way to wire things, and you'd only avoid it if your older AVR can't handle the type of video you want to send to the Display -- e.g., 3D video.

Second, get a calibration disc and use that to adjust the A/V Sync setting. Using a movie disc to try to adjust sync is a bad idea because movies usually have inherent sync error, and that can vary scene by scene. If you adjust things properly with the calibration disc, the inherent error in movies will likely be too small to notice.

The sync chart I recommend is on Disney's "WOW World of Wonder", Blu-ray, calibration disc. When using it, sneak up on the correct A/V Sync setting from both sides (audio set too early and audio set too late) until you get the hang of reading the result consistently.
--Bob

post #20861 of 20870 Old 03-29-2015, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Here's a workaround that you can try. Works for me....

The later versions of the Oppo have the ability to act as a UPNP player that XMBC can see.

1) From your XBMC machine, use the "play using" UPNP functionality and select the Oppo player on the network. MKV should start to play throgh the Oppo.
2) Once you get this working set the Oppo UPNP device as the XBMC default player (sear how to do this if needed)
3) Connect the XBMC to the Oppo HDMI input. You will then be viewing the nice front end of XBMC though the Oppo input.
4) When you start playback of a movie, it starts it on the Oppo vs the XBMC machine.
5) Here's the cool part...the Oppo will automatically switch inputs to play the network movie that you just selected via XBMC.
Wow that's neat trick, anyone knows if something similar can be done with Jriver as a front end?

Most of my movies are ISO in my HTPC, with little under 60 in Mkv which aren't an issue for play back as the iso tend to be.

Thanks

Djoel

My sacd collection Speaker Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears Pre/Pro XPS-1 G2 Amplification XPA-5 G2 Display Samsung PN64D7000Source Oppo 103 HTPC 16TB Jriver 19 Tivo Premier Apple TV2g Roku 2Power Panamax M5300-PM
post #20862 of 20870 Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
^ Yes.
--Bob
Thanks.. Guess I'll be picking one of these up for my new CIH setup. Make life a lot easier.

post #20863 of 20870 Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The oppo Bdp 103 is a a fantastic versatile bd player and it has extended the life of my Denon 5803.
The only feature that I would love to see is a front full range and subwoofer feature.
As it is now I have to crossover my fronts and sides at 40 while they go much lower.
I'm not sure if this could be a firmware fix or not but it would be nice.
post #20864 of 20870 Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno25 View Post
The oppo Bdp 103 is a a fantastic versatile bd player and it has extended the life of my Denon 5803.
The only feature that I would love to see is a front full range and subwoofer feature.
As it is now I have to crossover my fronts and sides at 40 while they go much lower.
Although your fronts and sides go lower than 40Hz, your AVR is busting its gut trying to get that low. Better to save some of its gas for your speakers and raise the xo freq. Let your sub (which is designed for low freqs) pull the weight.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
post #20865 of 20870 Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Maybe I am not sure exactly what you are trying to say,
but you should be able to set your speakers to LARGE (full range),
and then use the crossover setting for the other speakers if that is what you want to do.
Whatever speakers are set to LARGE will bypass the crossover and thus be full range frequency.

...or do you mean that you want the sub frequencies to also play through your front speakers?
It's usually not necessary if you already have a capable subwoofer,
and even if your speakers go very low, they would need to go exceptionally low, like below 20Hz.
Otherwise you may damage the speakers sending LFE frequencies that are too low for the speakers to handle.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #20866 of 20870 Old Today, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Although your fronts and sides go lower than 40Hz, your AVR is busting its gut trying to get that low. Better to save some of its gas for your speakers and raise the xo freq. Let your sub (which is designed for low freqs) pull the weight.
I should have been more specific about my system.
My fronts are 4 ways that have usable output at 20hz and by 25hz they are kicking. I'm biamping my fronts so my 5803 only sees them on the preouts.
My fronts go to 60hz, my sides go to 28hz, and the rears go to 50hz.
The sides are also sitting on self powered 10 inch velodynes that go to 25hz or so.
The subs are A D S ms3 and ms4 in front and are run of the sub preout.
The 5803 enables main+lfe for the front which I have tuned for music, but when I play a movie I want more thump so I just turn up the sub channel, to get the full output of the front subs.
I can use the 5803 analog inputs with dsp but then I'm doing the digital to analog to digital to analog thing, not sure how it would sound.
I use the analog outputs of the oppo to take advantage of the new surround formats and when you set the fronts to large and subwoofer on, the sub does not work.
If I set the fronts to small and sub on all works but crosses over at 40hz being the lowest.
I'm currently trying some other options but over all if this is my only complaint this is one heck of a bd player.
Oh and I think the picture it throws on bd is great also.
post #20867 of 20870 Old Today, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I should have been more specific about my system.
My fronts are 4 ways that have usable output at 20hz and by 25hz they are kicking. I'm biamping my fronts so my 5803 only sees them on the preouts.
My fronts go to 60hz, my sides go to 28hz, and the rears go to 50hz.
The sides are also sitting on self powered 10 inch velodynes that go to 25hz or so.
The subs are A D S ms3 and ms4 in front and are run of the sub preout.
The 5803 enables main+lfe for the front which I have tuned for music, but when I play a movie I want more thump so I just turn up the sub channel, to get the full output of the front subs.
I can use the 5803 analog inputs with dsp but then I'm doing the digital to analog to digital to analog thing, not sure how it would sound.
I use the analog outputs of the oppo to take advantage of the new surround formats and when you set the fronts to large and subwoofer on, the sub does not work.
If I set the fronts to small and sub on all works but crosses over at 40hz being the lowest.
I'm currently trying some other options but over all if this is my only complaint this is one heck of a bd player.
Oh and I think the picture it throws on bd is great also.
I might be wrong, but I don't think the OPPO can do LFE+main (double bass).
post #20868 of 20870 Old Today, 03:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
The 105 and 105D can be set to do this when playing stereo content (not including DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion during DSD content playback, and not including playback of content coming in on the Asynchronous USB DAC Input) by using the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs and also the Subwoofer output (only) from the multi-channel Analog output set. See the 2nd configuration described in this post from OPPO's Knowledge Base:

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=15

Note that there is no LFE channel in Stereo content, so all that's being doubled here is the bass already in the L/R channels -- i.e., it is being output to the L/R speakers and also to the Sub.
--Bob

post #20869 of 20870 Old Today, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Wow that's neat trick, anyone knows if something similar can be done with Jriver as a front end?

Most of my movies are ISO in my HTPC, with little under 60 in Mkv which aren't an issue for play back as the iso tend to be.

Thanks

Djoel

Wow! This is great! I have all my bd's ripped to an external hard and wondered how I might use the Oppo. The only question I have is how to set the "play with Oppo" as default? I do not see how to do that part but I can select it before playing a disc.
post #20870 of 20870 Old Today, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
The 105 and 105D can be set to do this when playing stereo content (not including DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion during DSD content playback, and not including playback of content coming in on the Asynchronous USB DAC Input) by using the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs and also the Subwoofer output (only) from the multi-channel Analog output set. See the 2nd configuration described in this post from OPPO's Knowledge Base:

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=15

Note that there is no LFE channel in Stereo content, so all that's being doubled here is the bass already in the L/R channels -- i.e., it is being output to the L/R speakers and also to the Sub.
--Bob
Thanks, Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page