post #181 of 17944 Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

But why did I NOT have this hum when the 93 was there. All I done was swith from the 93 to the 103.

Simple. The 93 uses a 2-prong power cord. Different grounding of the chassis so no path to ground for the ground loop current.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 17944 Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Sta363,

While viewing content using an HDMI Input on the OPPO 103, press the Info button to display the OPPO's on-screen info. The top line will show what's coming in on the input. The bottom line will show what's going out on the OPPO's HDMI outputs. So you can see the input really is being upscaled to 1080p output.

The copy protection failure will likely need a firmware fix from OPPO. Let OPPO tech support know you are having this problem.

In the interim, it looks like there's a fairly simple workaround. When you get that copy protection failure, use the Input button on the OPPO remote (top right) to change to normal Blu-ray Player mode, and then use it again to re-select the same HDMI Input. The report above is that gets past the copy protection failure.
--Bob
lanping09 and Ricker62 like this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #183 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 75

I've read some folks here using a Darbee video processor with the BDP-103 playing BD's. Why would  anyone want to artificially enhance images from the 93/95/103? It might be visually appealing but unfaithful to the original ...

-David

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #184 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can anyone report on the SACD-R compatibility yet? it's the one deciding factor for upgrading.Thanks
post #185 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 AM

Liked: 24
Don't know if there are enough owners yet to comment on this, but does anyone have thoughts on how the SD upscaling in the 103
compares to the old 983, which I still consider the best up-scaling DVD player?

I know the consensus is the 103 beats the BDP-93, but I never thought the 93 was as good as the 983 or even the BDP-83 with SD DVDs.

I love foreign, indie and off-beat films, which means a lot of what I own simply isn't available in blu-ray.

So, I've been using my 93 for blu-ray, and my trusted 983 for DVDs. But I would love to combine both
in one machine, and my 983 may be nearing the end of it's life (transport system seems to be going, etc.)

By chance does anyone have comparison thoughts or experience?

Thanks!
lanping09 likes this.
post #186 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

Here's another thing for people to try with your new toy: Dig out those beloved discs which, alas, are no longer playable.

I've found the ability of these new OPPO players to handle badly scuffed and scratched rental discs to be nothing short of miraculous! Even in cases of "bit rot" surface discoloration!

Now don't go hog wild. Discs which are warped due to heat exposure or cracked because you've stepped on them should never be put in the tray.

But discs which you've lost due to playing surface damage may very well get a new lease on life from your 103!
--Bob

post #187 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 03:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing10 View Post

can anyone report on the SACD-R compatibility yet? it's the one deciding factor for upgrading.Thanks

I know this has been asked a bunch of times, but I just don't have any of these. Surely by now someone here can try this and confirm it still works on the 103.
--Bob

post #188 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Thanks for the clarification.

So it wouldn't be any/much different than what I already have; playing music from my laptop computer wirelessly through my Logitech Squeezebox Touch. On hi rez music files quality suffers when streaming wirelessly hence my interest in using a USB drive wired directly to the playback device. The Touch does have a USB connection, but its so poorly implemented as to be pretty much useless.

Is there a chance Oppo will come out with an app that will do what I want?

Keep a sharp eye on this thread as I expect people to be trying different playback control schemes soon. This Media Controller stuff really does open up a ton of new possibilities.

As for a new app from OPPO: Ask Again Later; The Future is Hazy
--Bob

post #189 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
ohhh ok ty Bill. I didnt realize that.
post #190 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Actually, Windows lets you do the same thing if you know the secret incantation:

Just say "Oppo" three times. OPPO, OPPO, OPPO!
post #191 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophill72 View Post

Is anyone using a Darby Darblet with the 103? I get my 103 Tuesday and am hoping the Darblet works with the 103 as it did with my 93 that i just sold.
I am. I have a brief magenta screen when I first turn the 103 on which lasts about 2 seconds and nothing after. the 103 goes into my 5507 which is connected to the Darblet then out to my display. It works just fine. Every disc I've played looks great, maybe with a touch more clarity than when I had it hooked up to my 83. It's set to HD 55. I may try switching the pre/pro on first then the 103 to see if the magenta flash stops. Either way, it's no biggie since everything looks top notch.

post #192 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

Don't know if there are enough owners yet to comment on this, but does anyone have thoughts on how the SD upscaling in the 103
compares to the old 983, which I still consider the best up-scaling DVD player?

I know the consensus is the 103 beats the BDP-93, but I never thought the 93 was as good as the 983 or even the BDP-83 with SD DVDs.

I love foreign, indie and off-beat films, which means a lot of what I own simply isn't available in blu-ray.

So, I've been using my 93 for blu-ray, and my trusted 983 for DVDs. But I would love to combine both
in one machine, and my 983 may be nearing the end of it's life (transport system seems to be going, etc.)

By chance does anyone have comparison thoughts or experience?

Thanks!

The 983H has always been my favorite DVD player, too.

I haven't had time to sit down with serious A/B comparison of the two players, but I am finding the DVD image on the -103 to be very, very pleasing. Strangely enough that applies to both the HDM1 & 2 outputs, which would be with and without QDEO processing. So a rigorous test would actually be a 3-way comparison.

I preferred the 983 to -93, but with the -103 the differences will be harder to see.

-Bill
post #193 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

Actually, Windows lets you do the same thing if you know the secret incantation:
Mount your ISO, note the drive letter assigned by Windows.
To mount a drive
Click to open Computer Management.
On the left, under Storage, click Disk Management.
Right-click the drive that you want to mount, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
Click Add, click Mount in the following empty NTFS folder, and then either type the path to an empty folder on an NTFS drive or click Browse to locate it. Click OK, and then click OK again.
The Oppo will now play that folder just like any BDMV folder via SMB.
That should work out nicely for either occasional use or for a relatively small number of permanent ISO mounts. And it should be able to survive reboots.

I just discovered that the Pismo mounts don't survive reboots and I don't see an option to make the mounts permanent, so that's definitely a negative. But they do have a command line tool that could be used in a script to mount ISO's after the PC boots up.
post #194 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 06:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Mount your ISO, note the drive letter assigned by Windows.
To mount a drive
Click to open Computer Management.
On the left, under Storage, click Disk Management.
Right-click the drive that you want to mount, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
Click Add, click Mount in the following empty NTFS folder, and then either type the path to an empty folder on an NTFS drive or click Browse to locate it. Click OK, and then click OK again.
The Oppo will now play that folder just like any BDMV folder via SMB.

Right. I posted this already and reported back that everything worked (previews, menus, etc.), but the movie didn't play. I had another disc image that worked fine though, so maybe there was just something wrong with the first one I tried.

BTW, creating a Junction as BobearQSI suggested gave me the same result, so that may be an alternative.
post #195 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Simple. The 93 uses a 2-prong power cord. Different grounding of the chassis so no path to ground for the ground loop current.
Bob, Your ground is off your neutral side. Chassis DOES have a ground.

Every day above ground is a good day.
post #196 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Stealing liberally from the discussion here, I have added a new FAQ topic: How do you play Blu-ray ISO files over SMB?

-Bill
lanping09 likes this.
post #197 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Stealing liberally from the discussion here, I have added a new FAQ topic: How do you play Blu-ray ISO files over SMB?
-Bill

For the sake of completeness, I assume the inability to play DVD ISOs by mounting the ISO also applies to DVD-A ISOs, since the player doesn't support the AUDIO_TS folder structure?
post #198 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 06:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Just for the record: I'm surprised that the studios allow BDMV folder playback at all. It may not have come to their notice yet.

YET.

If they go to OPPO in the future and say "Take it out" then the feature will disappear. There will be no point in complaining how mean OPPO is being to you. They will have no choice in the matter.

Now, there is a reason why BDMV may be hard to ban: AVCHD is an approved and supported format and it's structure is parallel to BDMV. (The camcorder makers probably just found it easier to copy an existing spec).

If they tried the studios could make if harder to play BDMV while still allowing AVCHD, but maybe they will just rely on Cinavia as the main copy protection scheme. We know that BDMV playback must respect Cinavia.

-Bill
post #199 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

For the sake of completeness, I assume the inability to play DVD ISOs by mounting the ISO also applies to DVD-A ISOs, since the player doesn't support the AUDIO_TS folder structure?

Correct. If the player doesn't support AUDIO_TS on local storage then revealing it in an ISO mount on SMB doesn't help.

-Bill
post #200 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donloz View Post

"Simple. The 93 uses a 2-prong power cord. Different grounding of the chassis so no path to ground for the ground loop current."

Bob, Your ground is off your neutral side. Chassis DOES have a ground.
Yes but the path between cable shields of the interconnects and that is different.

It is VERY common for 3-prong devices to reveal ground loops where 2-prong devices don't.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

post #201 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 184
delete won't work. blah.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #202 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Excuse a moment of simple curiosity, but is there anyone out there actually playing shiny discs on one of these puppies?
--Bob

Watched "Goldeneye" last night .... I'm still impressed with the speed of this player. I had set it to the Quick Start mode the last time I used it, so this was the first time I really "experienced" it. I could barely get to the Eject button to insert the disc prior to the Home menu being displayed! Tonight will be "The Avengers" in 3D. Haven't tried anything in 3D on the 103 yet - and I've still yet to see "The Avengers" in 3D at all .... Just wish I had more free time to watch discs, but since people keep pointing out new, exciting ways of attempting to play ISOs via the network, I have a feeling I'll spend most of the evening setting that up! smile.gif
post #203 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Excuse a moment of simple curiosity, but is there anyone out there actually playing shiny discs on one of these puppies?
--Bob
Yup.

After getting the whole ISO via SMB working smoothly we had a chance to watch another episode of Frozen Planet (the BBC follow-up to Planet Earth and with proper narration by David Attenborough). Wow. Last night we were on episode 3 "Summer" and once again the BBC has produced another demo worthy Blu Ray disc of stunning photography that the Oppo rendered beautifully. Who knew that snow and ice could look so good?
lanping09 likes this.
post #204 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 07:44 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Just for the record: I'm surprised that the studios allow BDMV folder playback at all. It may not have come to their notice yet.
YET.
If they go to OPPO in the future and say "Take it out" then the feature will disappear. There will be no point in complaining how mean OPPO is being to you. They will have no choice in the matter.
Now, there is a reason why BDMV may be hard to ban: AVCHD is an approved and supported format and it's structure is parallel to BDMV. (The camcorder makers probably just found it easier to copy an existing spec).
If they tried the studios could make if harder to play BDMV while still allowing AVCHD, but maybe they will just rely on Cinavia as the main copy protection scheme. We know that BDMV playback must respect Cinavia.
-Bill

What effect does a person's PC power have on the reliability of the streamed BD content? That is, my Windows 7 PC is running on an old Pentium 4 processor and does not have much processing power.

The beauty of the Oppo 93/95 with the older fw is the lightning fast load times and playability of dvd-a and BD iso's.
post #205 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 AM

Liked: 12
I am using a Darbee with my 103 and have no problems. I did not even change my preferred Darbee setting.
post #206 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroatl View Post

What effect does a person's PC power have on the reliability of the streamed BD content? That is, my Windows 7 PC is running on an old Pentium 4 processor and does not have much processing power.

I am guessing that disk and network speed would be a factor before CPU power, but it's still early days and we need more field experience.

NAS devices and RAID arrays do not require fast CPUs and they do all sorts of file serving.
Quote:
The beauty of the Oppo 93/95 with the older fw is the lightning fast load times and playability of dvd-a and BD iso's.

It's a collectors item!

-Bill
post #207 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

Here's another thing for people to try with your new toy: Dig out those beloved discs which, alas, are no longer playable.
I've found the ability of these new OPPO players to handle badly scuffed and scratched rental discs to be nothing short of miraculous! Even in cases of "bit rot" surface discoloration!
Now don't go hog wild. Discs which are warped due to heat exposure or cracked because you've stepped on them should never be put in the tray.
But discs which you've lost due to playing surface damage may very well get a new lease on life from your 103!
--Bob

I need this little ability in my life, looks like every other disc from Block buster is a bust mad.gif Cool to know

Djoel
post #208 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

It has more to do with whatever tasks the OS is doing elsewhere (including its own overhead) as network I/O streaming by itself should not use much CPU power at all. For example I'm successfully streaming using a NAS box with a low-powered ARM v5 CPU that is far less capable than a typical P4 and the CPU meter barely moves while streaming. But...that same NAS is only used for streaming and the entire low-footprint Linux based OS for the NAS is optimized for such use.

In theory, most computers with enough horsepower to run W7 should be able to stream just fine as long as they are not also being used for other CPU intensive tasks simultaneously.
post #209 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:

--Bob

The reality is that we are moving towards a media-less future. If hardware companies like Dune, Popcorn, and WD Live can sell streaming boxes capable of playing iso's, then I don't see why Oppo cannot fully support it as well. We buy computer software everyday and install the disc on our platform. We then store the disc away. The same concept should apply to music and movies IMHO.
post #210 of 17944 Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

The reality is that we are moving towards a media-less future. If hardware companies like Dune, Popcorn, and WD Live can sell streaming boxes capable of playing iso's, then I don't see why Oppo cannot fully support it as well. We buy computer software everyday and install the disc on our platform. We then store the disc away. The same concept should apply to music and movies IMHO.

Those other products are either unlicensed or have different licenses than allowed for Blu-ray players. When Sony, Samsung, Panasonic etc start offering BR players with ISO support then you can complain to OPPO for not keeping up.

We went over and over this earlier in the year with the ISO on the -93 fiasco.

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page