Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 707 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 468Likes
post #21181 of 21182 Unread Today, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Generally not. If an SACD has no LFE channel, then it really should not matter whether the OPPO or the AVR decodes it - there will still be no LFE signal there. There are a lot of old quad recordings that have been (beautifully) resurrected by several labels and reproduced in 4.0 or 5.0 on SACD, but that display on a status display as 5.1 when playing, and yet you hear little or no subwoofer signal. DO NOT DESPAIR!! That is as it should be for these recordings. They are ".0" recordings. They HAVE no LFE signal - so you should not HEAR a LFE signal.

Now - if your speakers are set to small, then the low-frequency "parts" of your NON-LFE-channels will also go to the subwoofer. So if your speakers are set to small with a 4.0 or 5.0 recording, then you SHOULD have SOME signal going to the subwoofer - just not the non-existant LFE (".1") signal.
I do not have a subwoofer. I set the center and two rear speakers to small so that all the bass including the LFE goes to my main speakers. I have found that my main Infinity floor standing speakers (17 years old) provide me with enough deep bass that I do not need a subwoofer (at least for my taste).

Like I said, I am pretty new to SACD. I recently purchased a 5 SACD set of the Beethoven Symphonies. These are 5.0 and the bass was excellent. However, I just purchased another SACD which is 5.1 and found the bass kind of lacking with the OPPO set to DSD. Since it is late, I will play the rest of the 5.1 SACD tomorrow and change the OPPO setting to LPCM. Hopefully, this will provide better bass (as I have read on many threads).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21182 of 21182 Unread Today, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnvideo View Post
I do not have a subwoofer. I set the center and two rear speakers to small so that all the bass including the LFE goes to my main speakers. I have found that my main Infinity floor standing speakers (17 years old) provide me with enough deep bass that I do not need a subwoofer (at least for my taste).

Like I said, I am pretty new to SACD. I recently purchased a 5 SACD set of the Beethoven Symphonies. These are 5.0 and the bass was excellent. However, I just purchased another SACD which is 5.1 and found the bass kind of lacking with the OPPO set to DSD. Since it is late, I will play the rest of the 5.1 SACD tomorrow and change the OPPO setting to LPCM. Hopefully, this will provide better bass (as I have read on many threads).
I'm not sure what outputs you are using on your 103 for DSD audio listening, or how much/little you are aware of what I'm going to tell you, so if it's somewhat helpful, it was worth the effort.....

The audio processing section of the 103 only applies to its analog outputs. There's no down mixing, crossover processing, volume attenuation happening when using the 103's hdmi (digital) outputs.
So, on the 103's analog outputs, when you say you were setting the center/rear channels to small with no subwoofer output, that can only happen on the analog outputs "AND" when SACD Output is set to LPCM. When SACD Output is set to DSD, then no 103 audio processing (down mixing, crossover processing) can take place, because that processing is disabled when DSD-Direct to Analog is taking place. So, when you have SACD Output set to DSD, you will lose the LFE (.1) output (since you don't have a sub), and it can't be down mixed into your LF/RF pair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page