Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 709 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 477Likes
post #21241 of 21260 Old 05-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnvideo View Post
Hi:

Besides turning off the video on the TV screen and turning off the display on the OPPO, does pressing "Pure Audio" on the remote have any other affect on the audio being output to HDMI 1?

Thank you.

captnvideo
No.

Video is not turned off by the way. It is muted to Black.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21242 of 21260 Old 05-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
. . . .So, this problem has been around for years, OPPO is well aware of it and I think their blaming the movie sound production is very surprising and very disappointing. They've known about this problem for 6 years and still haven't resolved it with their chipset makers??? How could everyone else have missed it who have lauded Oppo players from the beginning...
If you read on, you will discover that Audioholics also retracted this concern after further discussing the issue with OPPO.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #21243 of 21260 Old 05-14-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 396
gsr and smurraybhm like this.
post #21244 of 21260 Old 05-14-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4629 Post(s)
Liked: 1851
Arrow Oppo 103 and 105 (and 103D and 105D)

http://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-a.../oppo-bdp-83se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you read on, you will discover that Audioholics also retracted this concern after further discussing the issue with OPPO.
--Bob
Which part Bob?

* I don't trust Audioholics; they are highly biased and counter-productive, even if they have some informative/technical articles.

Measurements - Scope

Clipped signal Sub Out

Last edited by NorthSky; 05-14-2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: /
post #21245 of 21260 Old 05-14-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I also fail to see the correction Bob is talking about. All I saw was this conclusion below:

Wrap Up

Please note the issues we found while testing these fine players may never be audible in real world usage but they are important to note when configuring the players to match your components. Until Oppo resolves these analog audio issues on both players we recommend the following setup guidelines for each.

Oppo BDP-83 Recommendations
  • Run “small” for all speaker settings when playing back 192kHz DVD-A
  • Utilize the subwoofer crossover when all speakers are set to “large” for all formats other than the Chesky 6.0 DVD-A recordings.
Oppo BDP-83SE Recommendation
  • If you experience distortion via the subwoofer output when playing DolbyTrueHD or DTS HD source material, set all speakers to “large” and utilize an external bass management solution (ie. A/V receiver, external crossover system, etc).
It is also important to note that these issues only reside in the analog domain when utilizing the 7.1 analog RCA outputs. If you are using the HDMI output for all of your audio needs, then there is no cause for alarm for any modes of operation at this time.

Fellow BDP-83 and BDP-83SE owners panic not about these findings, especially if you aren’t experiencing any notable performance issues as a result. We have never known an electronics company more dedicated to customer service and support than Oppo. You can rest assured that as you are reading this, they are working on solutions.

Once Oppo resolves these analog audio issues, we will do a follow-up article with listening tests to compare the analog audio performance of both players.

I fail to see the solution considering that Oppo says it still has the problem, even in its current 103/105 generation players. AH just says that they not use at 0dBFS signals but instead use -20dB signal and increase the bass trim in the AVR/PrePro by the same amount. This made the Oppo not to clip anymore and produce low distortion numbers but its not how its supposed to work.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #21246 of 21260 Old 05-14-2015, 04:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

This has been discussed multiple times. The correction/retraction comes in a later Audioholics article, not the original article you cited.

ETA: Doing some archaeology resulted in this link from 2010:

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-tec.../0dbfs-blu-ray

Note the Dolby recommendations.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 05-14-2015 at 05:08 PM.
post #21247 of 21260 Old 05-14-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #21248 of 21260 Old 05-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Look now. It's edited in.
--Bob

post #21249 of 21260 Old 05-14-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thx Bob.

* If there are no standards, then anything goes; it's a free multichannel analog world.

As for Dolby; they are only one ingredient/particle in the full panoply of surround sound audio codecs.
...SACD (DSD), DVD Audio, dts, DTS-HD Master Audio, Blu-ray Audio, DAD, SAD, DAT, LPCM, CDs, hi-res audio streaming and dowmloads, music/movie servers, ...and next: Auro-3D, DTS:X audio decoding inside UHD Blu-ray players (if and when).

Anyway, I prefer to set all my speakers to Large when using the multichannel analog output.
And I would love to have Bass Management on the multichannel analog input of my pre/pro.
I accept this compromise, as to "my own" ears it sounds best.
post #21250 of 21260 Old 05-15-2015, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
No.

Video is not turned off by the way. It is muted to Black.
--Bob

Bob:

Thanks.

captnvideo
post #21251 of 21260 Old 05-16-2015, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
This has been discussed multiple times. The correction/retraction comes in a later Audioholics article, not the original article you cited.

ETA: Doing some archaeology resulted in this link from 2010:

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-tec.../0dbfs-blu-ray

Note the Dolby recommendations.
--Bob
No doubt it'll be brought up yet again down the road. Too bad Audioholics doesn't add the correction in the original article.
post #21252 of 21260 Old 05-16-2015, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by Gellidius

Bob, what is the reason you recommend setting DVD 24p conversion to OFF?
i often watch movies on DVD, and then i must, for obvious reasons, use 24p to make it a cinema-like experience.

These are "starting point" settings. DVD 24p Conversion OFF will work well with ALL SD-DVDs.

DVD 24p Conversion ON will work "better" with SOME SD-DVDs (typically newer discs of newer movies), but you need to know what to look for, and if the SD-DVD is not authored in a way that lets it work right, you need to know to turn it OFF.

Like you, I leave DVD 24p Conversion ON by default, but I know what to look for, and at the first sign of Frame Drop Stutter when playing an SD-DVD I know to turn it off and enjoy the rest of the disc that way.

Even for discs where it works well, if often will NOT work well for Extras content on those discs. Now this is a setting you can change "on the fly" -- while the disc is playing -- and it doesn't bother me to adjust it ON/OFF as needed. But if you don't want to be bothered, then just leave it OFF.
--Bob
How do you change DVD 24p conversion "on the fly"? I only found it in the setup menu.
post #21253 of 21260 Old 05-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post
How do you change DVD 24p conversion "on the fly"? I only found it in the setup menu.
It is only accessible in the Setup menu, but the Setup menu can be viewed -- and this particular setting changed -- even while your SD-DVD is playing. The change takes effect immediately.

(NOTE: If you use the iOS or Android "Media Control" app from OPPO, it has a Settings page (the rightmost page) which also lets you alter the current Setup menu settings while content is playing. This is particularly handy when playing an Internet app, like Netflix, which blocks normal access to the Setup menu via the regular Remote control. Of course DVD 24p Conversion is not something that works with Netflix, but it doesn't hurt to remember this trick for other settings in there.)
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 05-17-2015 at 08:25 AM.
post #21254 of 21260 Old 05-16-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the clarification, Bob.
post #21255 of 21260 Old 05-17-2015, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Problem with my BDP-103

Hi guys, hope someone has an idea here about this problem. Powered on my 103 today, blue light went on, eject symbol was lit up but nothing worked. No power at all. No eject, no nothing. Pressing the power button on remote turn off the unit after about 12 seconds. Any ideas? Ive turned it off and on, take plug out, at least 20 times. Still nothing.

post #21256 of 21260 Old 05-17-2015, 05:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Disconnect everything from the player, including all cables and the Wifi dongle, and take the player and its power cord to another room (different wall power circuit).

While still unplugged, press and hold the Power button on the Front Panel for a few seconds.

Now reattach just the power cable and see if the unit will power up. If so, bring it back to its normal place and reattach things one at a time to see if you can find the culprit -- a faulty attachment cable or device.

If not, then the player will need service. OPPO Tech Support typically monitors their email even on weekends.
--Bob
post #21257 of 21260 Old 05-18-2015, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I got an email from tech support on external hard drives for the 103 and this was their exact response, "The player will support drives which are formatted as FAT16, FAT32, NTFS and exFAT with MBR and GPT and up to 16TB in size."

If I buy a drive from WD or Seagate, I have no problems reformatting to NTFS so I can rip my movies. My concern is about the MBR / GPT part of the statement. What exactly is that and is it something I'll need to setup or tweak in some way? Thanks for the help!

post #21258 of 21260 Old 05-18-2015, 07:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

MBR and GPT are partitioning schemes -- how the data is created on the disk for partitioning. A disk drive can be partitioned into separate "logical volumes" which look and act like separate drives, even though existing on the same physical drive.

When setting up a drive, or reconfiguring an existing drive, you "partition" it into one or more logical drives (picking MBR or GPT), and then you "format" each logical drive into a file system (picking FAT, exFAT, or NTFS). All this is done with the drive attached to your computer.

You should know that MBR partitioning and FAT formatting of partitions impose their own limits on size. For max usable size, use GPT partitioning and NTFS. (I'm not actually sure how exFAT affects things.)

MAC users will know GPT as "GUID Partition Table" -- the standard partitioning scheme used with discs on the MAC. MBR is "Master Boot Record" and is popular on Windows computers (for suitable sized drives).

If you are setting up a USB stick for firmware install on the OPPO, partition it with MBR and format the partition with FAT.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 05-18-2015 at 07:53 AM.
post #21259 of 21260 Old 05-18-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
If I buy a drive from WD or Seagate, I have no problems reformatting to NTFS so I can rip my movies. My concern is about the MBR / GPT part of the statement. What exactly is that and is it something I'll need to setup or tweak in some way? Thanks for the help!
Note that some external drives coming from Seagate and possibly others are using a bastardized version of MBR partitioning in spite of being larger than 2TB. These will only work in the external enclosures they come in. Not a problem unless you try to take them out of the enclosure for use in a PC or dock. They will come pre-formatted to NTFS as well, unless they are intended for a MAC. So for the most part you should have plug-n-play functionality with the Oppo and most any external HDD.
post #21260 of 21260 Unread Today, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, guys. I have some high resolution flac tracks 96khz/24 bits on my laptop. I Am streaming them to my Oppo 103 via Dlna. I am using oshare. My question is am I losing quality streaming the tracks this way? If so what should I do because I want to enjoy the high quality of the music? My avr is Denon 4520. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page