Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 710 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 479Likes

post #21271 of 21300 Old 05-23-2015, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemechfrito View Post
Can a oppo 103 be calibrated in the picture settings
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

The OPPO 103 includes Picture Adjustment controls for things like brightness, contrast, color, and sharpness. You COULD use these when calibrating video levels.

However the Rule of Thumb is to leave all those settings in the OPPO at their factory default (0) values and instead do your video calibration using the controls found in your Display. Only tweak the OPPO settings for these if there is some problem in your Display that prevents proper calibration using the Display's own controls.

------------------------------------------

ETA:
Just to elaborate a bit more: The OPPO 103 puts out "Reference" HDMI signals when the Picture Adjustment controls are left at their factory default (0) values. The optimum picture quality will be achieved by using the controls in your Display itself to adjust it to correctly render those into images. I.e., you calibrate the Display. The OPPO is already calibrated.
--Bob
Were you yet able to use the oppo in the picture settings or resolution to 4k. I have a 4k tv but it keeps Saying not support input signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21272 of 21300 Old 05-23-2015, 04:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
^ Check that you are using the correct HDMI input socket on your TV. There is likely only one that supports 4K input.

Check in the owner's thread here for you model of TV to see if there are any other settings you need to select in it to enable 4K input.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #21273 of 21300 Old 05-24-2015, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Not sure what a multi-port switch is, but I suspect that's built into the router (there are about 6 ethernet ports on it, and one of them is the hard-wire connection to the Oppo, another is to the Roku).
I see. So you are using a 'hard-wired' ethernet connection from your router to your Oppo, not a 'WiFi' ethernet connection to your Oppo...

Quote:
Send the WAV file to OPPO Tech Support and they can likely discover what's odd about it. (Could be, for example, that there's some malformed data in there that your PC doesn't care about but the OPPO does.)
Indeed. The PCM.wav file might have been encoded using some weird options or it might be borked. That said, the good thing about PCM.wav files is their lossless nature. So you could re-encode it

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 05-24-2015 at 02:16 AM.
post #21274 of 21300 Old 05-24-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Indeed. The PCM.wav file might have been encoded using some weird options or it might be borked. That said, the good thing about PCM.wav files is their lossless nature. So you could re-encode it
Thanks, that was good advice. I no longer have the CD from which the track was ripped, so I converted all of the WAVs from that CD (each of which, I discovered, caused the 103 to lock up) to FLAC, and now they play without any issue.

I also followed Bob's suggestion and swapped the Oppo's HDMI cable (the nice, heavy one that came with the player) for the known-good HDMI cable (Monster brand) I've been using with my Roku. I'll take a few days to see what's fixed (if anything). But I'm skeptical that this cable has anything to do with the Netflix app refusing to play any files unless I run Vudu and play a bit of a trailer first; or with the Netflix app forgetting my login info (Vudu never does).

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #21275 of 21300 Old 05-24-2015, 08:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I think you may have misread my post. The HDMI cable is unlikely to have anything to do with your Netflix issue. The HDMI cable might -- and it was just tossed out as an example you likely hadn't thought of -- have something to do with your player crashes.

The most likely reason for your Netflix problem(s) is that you are attempting to launch Netflix before networking is live in the player. The suggestion to test for that was to first do a Connection Test in Setup > Network Setup (and repeat until it comes back good) before you launch Netflix. (Some of these 3rd party provided Internet apps don't have particularly robust error handling.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #21276 of 21300 Old 05-24-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
^ I think you may have misread my post. The HDMI cable is unlikely to have anything to do with your Netflix issue. The HDMI cable might -- and it was just tossed out as an example you likely hadn't thought of -- have something to do with your player crashes.

The most likely reason for your Netflix problem(s) is that you are attempting to launch Netflix before networking is live in the player. The suggestion to test for that was to first do a Connection Test in Setup > Network Setup (and repeat until it comes back good) before you launch Netflix. (Some of these 3rd party provided Internet apps don't have particularly robust error handling.)
--Bob
The connection test always comes back good, whether I run it before launching Netflix, or immediately after the Netflix app has indicated that it's unable to play the video I selected (or any videos, actually. An occasional problem is that the Netflix app loads, I select a video, and part of the interface is missing--there's the title and the description, but the choices to play the video, choose another episode, rate the title, etc., are not displayed on screen. Exiting the Netflix app and restarting it eliminates this intermittent bug.

By the way, I am certain that the problem is not "choking" by my ISP, since I am routinely finding a download bandwidth of 15-20 Mbps and I have zero Netflix problems with the Roku device that (like the 103) is hard-wire connected to the router.

I did understand that you offered the HDMI cable as a possible explanation for the intermittent lockups on the Oppo. I'll see if this problem goes away with the known-good HDMI cable, but I want to give it a few days since the lockups are intermittent. The problem with playing the WAV file was due to something about the file, as it turns out, since converting it to FLAC eliminated the problem.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #21277 of 21300 Old 05-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I suggest you get in touch with OPPO Tech Support regarding your Netflix issue. I've got nothing more specific to offer.

OPPO suggests folks with Netflix problems set the player to use the free, public DNS service offered by Google instead of the default settings (that result in you getting DNS service from your ISP). This can help if the DNS service provided by your ISP is goofing up and connecting you to a distant, Netflix server farm. However, I wouldn't expect that to be a problem with your AT&T service. If you want to try it, the info is here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=2

The Netflix app loads its user interface on the fly (over the network), so an issue with the user interface not loading completely may very well be related to why you are not getting streams to play (and also why Netflix wants you to log in again). I.e., all of this could be related to some networking problem clobbering the connection between your player and the specific Netflix server farm you get connected to.

The fact that you are reporting no problems with the other streaming services would tend to rule out issues with your router or ISP modem. That said, it's unlikely you have a hardware problem in the player causing this Netflix issue. It's still the case that the most likely thing here is that there's something screwy in your network connection that we haven't sussed out yet. However, since you are ALSO having player crash issues, that has to be diagnosed as well.

As for software, OPPO may ask you to do a re-install of the current firmware "just in case".

------------------------------------------

This may sound crazy, but it would also be worthwhile to try your Netflix issue with the OPPO connected via Wifi to your router. There are situations where Wifi can actually work BETTER than a direct Ethernet connection.
--Bob
pbarach likes this.

post #21278 of 21300 Old 05-24-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I have been recently using the 103 as a music player utilizing a WD external powered USB hard drive and I question the tempo or speed control. Several songs seem like they are speeded up if ever so slightly. Has anyone else sensed this? I need to spend some time trying to verify this but not the first time I have felt this.
post #21279 of 21300 Old 05-24-2015, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
I have been recently using the 103 as a music player utilizing a WD external powered USB hard drive and I question the tempo or speed control. Several songs seem like they are speeded up if ever so slightly. Has anyone else sensed this? I need to spend some time trying to verify this but not the first time I have felt this.
The player has a readout of the track time. If 1 sec = 1 sec, there's nothing wrong.
post #21280 of 21300 Old 05-25-2015, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The player has a readout of the track time. If 1 sec = 1 sec, there's nothing wrong.
Yes, I did try that on one song and could not distinguish a difference. Will need to find a song that seems up tempo, play it on multiple sources and use a stop watch to compare.
post #21281 of 21300 Old 05-27-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
remote control sensor

I recently bought a remote sensor from Monoprice which was advertised as compatible but has failed to work. Can you guys steer me to a sensor known to work?

Thanks,
Mike

No matter how hard you try - you cannot polish a turd!
post #21282 of 21300 Old 05-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

I would think the Monoprice unit should work. There's nothing unusual about the rear IR input on the 103. Check that you have it plugged in properly and fully.

OPPO sells an IR sensor as well:

http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IRES2

--Bob

post #21283 of 21300 Old 05-28-2015, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Bob - I just ordered from the oppo site. I tried everything more than once - 8$ and dead in the water!!

No matter how hard you try - you cannot polish a turd!
post #21284 of 21300 Old 05-30-2015, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A noob question again..

Currently, I'm connecting my laptop(with inbuilt sound card) to my Onkyo AVR via HDMI. Now, If I connect an Oppo BDP-103 and my Onkyo AVR via HDMI and play music via CD's or High quality FLAC's from HDD plugged in to Oppo, instead of connecting my laptop, will I get a better sound quality because of BDP-103's DAC???
post #21285 of 21300 Old 05-30-2015, 08:00 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by syednizamudeen View Post
A noob question again..

Currently, I'm connecting my laptop(with inbuilt sound card) to my Onkyo AVR via HDMI. Now, If I connect an Oppo BDP-103 and my Onkyo AVR via HDMI and play music via CD's or High quality FLAC's from HDD plugged in to Oppo, instead of connecting my laptop, will I get a better sound quality because of BDP-103's DAC???
Unless you're using the Oppo's analog audio outputs, you aren't using the Oppo's DAC, so no.
post #21286 of 21300 Old 05-30-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Quote:
A noob question again..

Unless you're using the Oppo's analog audio outputs, you aren't using the Oppo's DAC, so no.

Thanks for your response. My AVR has only 2 ch analog inputs. I'll try using analog connections then...
post #21287 of 21300 Old 05-30-2015, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Black Line Down Center of Screen with Netflix or vudu?

Guys,

I have just tried using Netflix on my 103d, and there is a black line of dead pixels down the center of the screen, only with NetFlix or vudu. Internet connection is fast, hardwired, apparantly not to blame as movies otherwise play fine.

Any ideas?
post #21288 of 21300 Old 05-30-2015, 05:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyL View Post
Guys,

I have just tried using Netflix on my 103d, and there is a black line of dead pixels down the center of the screen, only with NetFlix or vudu. Internet connection is fast, hardwired, apparantly not to blame as movies otherwise play fine.

Any ideas?
Sure. You've managed to turn on the Demo Mode either for Darbee or for the VRS video processing. Go into Setup > Video Setup > Picture Adjustments and change the two Demo Mode lines to OFF.
--Bob
Aetherhole likes this.
post #21289 of 21300 Old 05-30-2015, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks so much!! Yes that was it, you have saved movie night with the wife and kids!!

Awesome!
post #21290 of 21300 Old 05-30-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
If I have only stereo analog input on Onkyo, Will the subwoofer work???(As I dont have an analog Input for Sub on Onkyo)
post #21291 of 21300 Old 05-30-2015, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4655 Post(s)
Liked: 1875
Quote:
If I have only stereo analog input on Onkyo, Will the subwoofer work???(As I dont have an analog Input for Sub on Onkyo)
Which Onkyo model AVR do you have?

1. HDMI out of Oppo to HDMI in of Onkyo...stereo mode with main front left and right speakers set to Small with x-over say @ 80Hz and Sub on.
{Digital coaxial and optical also work.}

2. Analog stereo RCA out (front left and right ch.) of your Oppo to RCA stereo analog in of your Onkyo.
Bass management is still possible in your Onkyo (depending of the model) in Stereo audio mode (A/D & D/A).
post #21292 of 21300 Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Which Onkyo model AVR do you have?

1. HDMI out of Oppo to HDMI in of Onkyo...stereo mode with main front left and right speakers set to Small with x-over say @ 80Hz and Sub on.
{Digital coaxial and optical also work.}

2. Analog stereo RCA out (front left and right ch.) of your Oppo to RCA stereo analog in of your Onkyo.
Bass management is still possible in your Onkyo (depending of the model) in Stereo audio mode (A/D & D/A).
Mine is Onkyo HTR390.(It came along with a HT Package..I just upgraded my small satellites to Onkyo 4800 Towers).

I like to compare Onkyo and Oppo's DAC...If I run Oppo though HDMI, there won't be any issues.I'm just wondering if Oppo's DAC can improve the quality of stereo music if I run through analog.
post #21293 of 21300 Old 05-31-2015, 12:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I truly doubt that you can notice a difference, but just try it, from both outputs; analog and digital.
I'd bet you'll prefer the one which sound the louder.
post #21294 of 21300 Old 05-31-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I truly doubt that you can notice a difference, but just try it, from both outputs; analog and digital.
I'd bet you'll prefer the one which sound the louder.

Thanks for your response. But, the sub woofer should work with the stereo analog right??
post #21295 of 21300 Old 05-31-2015, 05:39 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Thanks for your response. But, the sub woofer should work with the stereo analog right??
Yes, it should, but that's really a function of how you have the AVR configured.
post #21296 of 21300 Old 05-31-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, it should, but that's really a function of how you have the AVR configured.

Thank you and can you be more specific about what are the parameters I gotta check??

Is it setting speaker size and setting the crossover frequency??
post #21297 of 21300 Old 05-31-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes:
1. Set your two Front Main L & R Speakers to Small.
2. Select 80Hz as the Crossover.
3. Select ON for the Subwoofer.

* You'll have to first balance the Subwoofer with your two front main speakers; Radio Shack SPL meter and an Audio Test Disc, like Avia (from Ovation), or Digital Video Essentials (DVE), or others.
1. Phase: 0 degree.
2. X-over (Low Pass Filter): Bypass (or highest position).
3. Gain control: 10 o'clock.

When balancing the levels between your sub and your speakers look carefully @ the SPL meter @ the crossover point, 80Hz for smooth/best transition.
- Google: How to Adjust My Subwoofer With All My Other Speakers? ...Level (Gain), Phase, X-Over (LP Filter).

Take your time, read, learn, and experiment (execute), then listen carefully with music you well know and with good bass content. ...Have fun.

Last edited by NorthSky; 05-31-2015 at 08:21 PM.
post #21298 of 21300 Old 05-31-2015, 08:51 PM

Wow!!!I appreciate that ...will check out and post the results once the gear arrives.. Thanks again.
post #21299 of 21300 Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Thank you and can you be more specific about what are the parameters I gotta check??

Is it setting speaker size and setting the crossover frequency??
Note that the settings Northsky mentioned should be made on your AVR and subwoofer, not the Oppo and hence should be discussed in the thread for your AVR if you need further assistance on how to configure it as you'll find people who are more familiar with your AVR. The only settings you might need to make in the Oppo for the analog outputs are to make sure that it's setup for a stereo down mix and fixed volume:

Setup -> Audio Processing -> Speaker Configuration ->Down Mix -> Stereo
Setup -> Audio Processing -> Output Volume -> Fixed

Leave the front left and right speakers set to full range and at equal distances (the default setting of 12 feet is fine) on the Oppo as you want your AVR to handle the subwoofer configuration.
post #21300 of 21300 Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc