Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 712 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 752Likes

post #21331 of 23895 Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21332 of 23895 Old 06-12-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 7604
i expect the 103 to go away soon? What is next and when?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #21333 of 23895 Old 06-12-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 183
It has been reported repeatedly that Oppo has said nothing new before late next year at the earliest so don't expect any new players before then.

post #21334 of 23895 Old 06-12-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 7604
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
It has been reported repeatedly that Oppo has said nothing new before late next year at the earliest so don't expect any new players before then.
Thanks, I want one for the office, don't want to buy something on the way out.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #21335 of 23895 Old 06-12-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6814 Post(s)
Liked: 3395
Panasonic, then Samsung and Sony UHD Blu-ray players. ...Then Oppo newer UHD BR players (113 & 115*) next ... somewhere around the year 2016 (end) ... I presume.

* Could also be the BDP-116.
BillFree likes this.

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison

Last edited by NorthSky; 06-12-2015 at 04:50 PM.
post #21336 of 23895 Old 06-13-2015, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Thanks, I want one for the office, don't want to buy something on the way out.
No one has a UHD 4K player out at the moment that I know of. The earliest I understand any of the UHD players will reach the market is the end of this year to early next year though, as NorthSky said, Oppo have indicated they won't have a new model until late next year at the earliest.

What that means is that if you have a 4K screen in your office or are planning to get one and you want to be able to use the player to play 4K discs when they arrive, then any player you buy right now is "on the way out" because none of them will play 4K discs when those eventually start reaching the market. You simply cannot currently buy a player that will be able to play native 4K discs when they become available.

If you don't want UHD/4K disc playback in your office then the fact that all existing players could be said to be on the way out is not an issue because you don't want that functionality and you simply need to pick whatever player on the market currently meets your requirements. There's no point to waiting for the first 4K disc players to be released if you aren't going to be playing 4K discs in the office.
ellisr63 and eljr like this.
post #21337 of 23895 Old 06-14-2015, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I just returned my 105D, and got a 103... loving it so far. The only problem i have seen so far was it doesn't see my 5.1 ripped music on the NAS, but it does see all my other music, and the 105D saw the 5.1 ripped music. Is there something different between the 2 that would cause this?

Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, 4 JBL 8340As, 4 JBL 8320s, PS3, XBoxOne, 2 Intel NUCs, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster HTPS7000, 2 Furman filters, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 195" diagonal scope screen, Panamorph UH-480, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Crest Audio CM2208s, Yamaha XM-4080, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
post #21338 of 23895 Old 06-15-2015, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
The only problem i have seen so far was it doesn't see my 5.1 ripped music on the NAS...
This is most unusual.

What's the make and model of your NAS? Which networking connection protocol are you using, SMB or UPnP? Which multi-channel audio format types are not being displayed?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #21339 of 23895 Old 06-15-2015, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hello, guys. I have ripped my SACD collection to SACD- ISO files. The Oppo can't read the ISO files so I split them into DSF tracks. I used iso2dsd to split the files. The Oppo plays the tracks just fine. My question is: am I losing audio quality splitting the ISO files that way? I don't have a program to check the DSF files.
Thank you.
post #21340 of 23895 Old 06-15-2015, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
Hello, guys. I have ripped my SACD collection to SACD- ISO files. The Oppo can't read the ISO files so I split them into DSF tracks. I used iso2dsd to split the files. The Oppo plays the tracks just fine. My question is: am I losing audio quality splitting the ISO files that way? I don't have a program to check the DSF files.
Thank you.
In short - no. You have exactly the same set of bits - just divided between several containers instead of all in one container.

About the only side-effect of doing this is that you will not have gapless playback of the tune. I do not think that the Oppo supports gapless playback for DSD just yet.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #21341 of 23895 Old 06-15-2015, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
In short - no. You have exactly the same set of bits - just divided between several containers instead of all in one container.

About the only side-effect of doing this is that you will not have gapless playback of the tune. I do not think that the Oppo supports gapless playback for DSD just yet.
Thank you for the reply. I don't use gapless playback so I'm just fine.
post #21342 of 23895 Old 06-15-2015, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
* And to Daffie who doesn't have 'Ratatouille' on Blu-ray; go get it, it's a must have Blu-ray title.
Yep, you were right. Watched it in the weekend, great Blu-Ray. Fantastic picture & sound and also a great movie.
Worth buying for sure and I can now finally check the chapter 10 scene Bob keeps talking about

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #21343 of 23895 Old 06-16-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Question about Oppo analog audio, please. It was recommended to me that I re-post my question here, but I apologize if it's misplaced.

My current receiver is about 15 years old (Onkyo TX SR600) and has no HDMI. I am currently running sound by Toslink optical. It was recommended to me that I upgrade my receiver first, and get HDMI for "best quality lossless audio from blu-rays." Which seems like great advice, but then I read that one of Oppo's strengths is their analog audio outs. And of course everything in the audiophile world is supposedly better when it's analog.

My thinking is that HDMI might be inferior with audio, so I should keep my current receiver (at least for now) and my next purchase should be an Oppo BDP-103, and run the audio analog and the video direct to my Samsung H6203. No HDMI in the receiver is an annoyance, but it would be a shame to ignore analog outs on a BDP in favor of digital HDMI if it's not as great.

I appreciate any advice on this issue, HDMI audio vs. analog audio. I'm just getting back to home theater after a lot of years away, so my knowledge base dates to about 2003. Here's what I'm running (all from about 2003), along with new cables and wire I bought from Monoprice:

JVC XVFA90BK (DVD Player)
Polk Audio RTi28 Bookshelf Speakers (Mains)
Polk Audio CSi 30 (Center)
Polk Audio FXi 30 (Surrounds with the Bipole / Dipole thing)
Infinity BU2 Subwoofer

Thanks again.
post #21344 of 23895 Old 06-16-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtStryker0331 View Post
And of course everything in the audiophile world is supposedly better when it's analog.
Not really true. There are many good reasons to upgrade an AVR, HDMI connects and switching are just one. Huge advancements in DSP, improved analog boards and DACs, in short better sound.
post #21345 of 23895 Old 06-16-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
My thinking is that HDMI might be inferior with audio, so I should keep my current receiver (at least for now) and my next purchase should be an Oppo BDP-103, and run the audio analog and the video direct to my Samsung H6203. No HDMI in the receiver is an annoyance, but it would be a shame to ignore analog outs on a BDP in favor of digital HDMI if it's not as great.
First thought you are quite lucky your older AVR still works. The trend with most AVR's is strictly HDMI, and your concern that HDMI is inferior to analog audio is unfounded. Except for a few higher priced models by some brands HDMI is mainstream, and you should not notice any differences in audio quality. The BDP-103 will work out for both circumstances, if you continue to utilize your SR600 or finally replace it with something that directly supports lossless decoding along with utilizing bitstream using HDMI, not multi-channel analog out.

Oppo Beta Group
post #21346 of 23895 Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:

Thanks again.
As others have noted, analog is not necessarily better than HDMI.

I've compared analog vs. HDMI using the Oppo 83 and the 103D, using SACD recordings and movies.

In my configuration (Pioneer Elite VSX-33 rec., 7.1 Energy RC speakers,), I didn't see a real difference.

The HDMI connection is much easier to deal with (one connector vs.7), and it also allows me to do room correction automatically (MCAC) as opposed to the manual correction that I did with the analog.

In my opinion, the access to room correction and the convenience is what led me to an HDMI only setup now.
post #21347 of 23895 Old 06-16-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Question about Oppo analog audio, please. It was recommended to me that I re-post my question here, but I apologize if it's misplaced.

My current receiver is about 15 years old (Onkyo TX SR600) and has no HDMI. I am currently running sound by Toslink optical. It was recommended to me that I upgrade my receiver first, and get HDMI for "best quality lossless audio from blu-rays." Which seems like great advice, but then I read that one of Oppo's strengths is their analog audio outs. And of course everything in the audiophile world is supposedly better when it's analog.

I appreciate any advice on this issue, HDMI audio vs. analog audio. I'm just getting back to home theater after a lot of years away, so my knowledge base dates to about 2003. Here's what I'm running (all from about 2003), along with new cables and wire I bought from Monoprice:

JVC XVFA90BK (DVD Player)
Polk Audio RTi28 Bookshelf Speakers (Mains)
Polk Audio CSi 30 (Center)
Polk Audio FXi 30 (Surrounds with the Bipole / Dipole thing)
Infinity BU2 Subwoofer

Thanks again.

Hi,

Firstly just think of HDMI as a newer version of your Toslink cable.

OK so one of your components has to do the processing work.

Normally if you believe that your AVR will do it better then you use HDMI which bypasses the players on board DAC and M/C processing.

If you think your player will do it better then you hook up at M/C analog level.

I know that your AVR has no HDMI but you get my drift.

These days AVR's are pretty damn good, have good DAC's and offer great features like Room EQ tools and SUPERIOR bass management to what a BDP offers.
You also get the benefit of 15 years of improved tech and (depending on model chosen and $ spent) maybe more (quality) power which should help in improving overall SQ

But if you plan on upgrading BOTH (which I DO recommend)........ go with the BDP first.

BDP's with analog M/C outputs are being phased out so getting one NOW will let you use it with your current Onkyo AVR at analog level and then your NEW AVR at HDMI level.

If you are into quality stereo you also might want to check out the OPPO 105D

Otherwise I would highly recommend an OPPO 103D for now (or if $ are an issue at LEAST a BDP with M/C analog outs) and a better HDMI equipped AVR later.

FWIW I have an OPPO 105 and STILL hook up to my Pre/Pro at HDMI level as due, amongst other things, to the great room EQ of Audyssey XT32......... IT JUST SOUNDS BETTER

Lastly IMHO the Analog vs Digital SQ question is irrelevant in the M/C world.

Cheers

Last edited by linger63; 06-16-2015 at 10:53 AM.
post #21348 of 23895 Old 06-18-2015, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is the latest version of the Media Control app for Android?

I'm using version 3.0.2.892 but a version check informs me that this isn't the latest. However after uninstalling and loading fresh from the google play store I just get the same version back.

Last edited by Changeover35; 06-18-2015 at 04:25 PM.
post #21349 of 23895 Old 06-18-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
This is most unusual.

What's the make and model of your NAS? Which networking connection protocol are you using, SMB or UPnP? Which multi-channel audio format types are not being displayed?
I am using Unraid with SMB. The 5.1 tracks that don't show up are my ripped .dts tracks which as I recall did show up with the 105D, and they also show up with Kodi.

Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, 4 JBL 8340As, 4 JBL 8320s, PS3, XBoxOne, 2 Intel NUCs, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster HTPS7000, 2 Furman filters, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 195" diagonal scope screen, Panamorph UH-480, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Crest Audio CM2208s, Yamaha XM-4080, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
post #21350 of 23895 Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone else experience a slight audio dropout when first beginning a DVD? This is, thankfully, not an issue at all for HD content on BDs - just standard def content, normally on commercial DVDs.

A TV show DVD disc offers a good example to explain the problem. From the main menu, I hit "play all episodes." The player shows the FBI warnings and such and then begins the first episode. At the 10-second point, the audio drops out for half a second or so and then immediately comes back. No further dropouts occur during the episode, nor any subsequent episode. If I were to restart that first episode with the Chapter Back button on the remote, it would play through perfectly without the dropout at the 10-second mark.

If I were to choose a specific episode from the disc menu, the dropout would occur 10 seconds into that episode.

If I were to stop and then replay the disc from the beginning (i.e. without using the restore feature), the dropout would occur. OR if I were to pause the disc and let it go to the screensaver (or whatever amount of time is necessary for it to stop spinning the disc and enter whatever type of passive state it can enter), there would be a similar audio dropout shortly after resuming play of the disc - this dropout can occur at any time mark, since it is dependent on what time mark I was at when I first hit Pause.

Seems like a simple enough buffering issue, but I'm surprised it has persisted so long (I stay up to date with the firmware). Has anyone else seen this behavior?
post #21351 of 23895 Old 06-19-2015, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
It's more likely an HDMI handshake issue.

post #21352 of 23895 Old 06-19-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'm seeing a symptom I'm pretty sure wasn't there originally.

1. Pause a Blu-ray disc.
  2. Play.
  3. Disk starts to play, then stalls for 1-2 seconds, then finally resumes.

Is it just me?
post #21353 of 23895 Old 06-19-2015, 05:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
I'm seeing a symptom I'm pretty sure wasn't there originally.

1. Pause a Blu-ray disc.
  2. Play.
  3. Disk starts to play, then stalls for 1-2 seconds, then finally resumes.

Is it just me?
No, I've seen that. I think it's been there a while. Some interaction with disc spin-up and buffering.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #21354 of 23895 Old 06-19-2015, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yeah, noticed this too. Rather annoying. Odd though, since we've had the last update for awhile. I wonder if that last update changed a setting somewhere? Not sure if it's been with all discs either because I don't pause discs all that often. Glad though to know it isn't only my player!!
post #21355 of 23895 Old 06-20-2015, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I am using Unraid with SMB. The 5.1 tracks that don't show up are my ripped .dts tracks which as I recall did show up with the 105D, and they also show up with Kodi.
As far as I can remember, it's never been possible to navigate to and play 'elementary' .dts (or .ac3) audio streams via UPnP or SMB using the Oppo BDP-10x players...

However, if you mux such 'elementary' audio streams into the Matroska (.mka) container it is possible to navigate to and play them via SMB.

Note to Oppo developers: I forgot to mention (ages ago) that elementary' .ac3 audio streams are often displayed as being 'APE' files via UPnP - Sorry

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #21356 of 23895 Old 06-24-2015, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi All,

New Oppo 103D owner, so farm I'm digging the audio features of this player and want to leverage it for my whole house audio setup. My amps are in the next room over (old HT Receivers that can take analog in, coax or optical, and one has HDMI in). What would be the best way to hook these up? the connection would be running about 30' through my crawl space.

Option 1) Use Coax/Optical to the other Receivers digital audio in - pretty sure in this case it would use the receiver's DAC - is there anyway to leverage the DAC on the Oppo?
Option 2) Use Line Level audio outs from the Oppo to the other receivers, in this case I'd be able to leverage the Oppo DAC
Option 3) Use HDMI
Option 4) Use the line Level audio out from my Emotiva Receiver as a 2nd zone (minimal advantage here other than perhaps using it's DAC but it's looks to be similar to the Oppo (Both Cirrus)

The other receivers (in the other room) are a Pioneer Elite VSX-74txi and a Yamaha RX-Z1

Thanks,

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
post #21357 of 23895 Old 06-24-2015, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tidal app

I read that oppo users will soon get the Tidal app. Any idea when the update will happen?
ellisr63 and llep64 like this.
post #21358 of 23895 Old 06-24-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 280
oppo 103 youtube fail

everytime i watch a youtube clip at the end the player stalls out and only recourse is to power on/off.

I know I am not the only youtube watcher with oppo so whats the catch?

the last couple youtube vids I have this happe is w/ pink floyd and steeley dan vids over 1 hr each.

any hints? this is really bad for an oppo player imo....

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
post #21359 of 23895 Old 06-25-2015, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasteve View Post
I read that oppo users will soon get the Tidal app. Any idea when the update will happen?
This link says it will happen in the next firmware update. But we don't know if the 103 will get Tidal, it isn't confirmed.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/oppo-ad...lu-ray-players
post #21360 of 23895 Old 06-25-2015, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
everytime i watch a youtube clip at the end the player stalls out and only recourse is to power on/off.

I know I am not the only youtube watcher with oppo so whats the catch?

the last couple youtube vids I have this happe is w/ pink floyd and steeley dan vids over 1 hr each.

any hints? this is really bad for an oppo player imo....
I've got a 103D, have not had a problem with the YouTube app. I use it fairly regularly for all sorts of material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page