Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 714 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 495Likes

post #21391 of 21409 Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post
I noticed that my Samsung Smart TV used to have the EXACT same Youtube app as the Oppo. But in one of my TV's recent firmware updates, the YouTube app got a complete overhaul. Maybe it's related to the YouTube app being slightly outdated now? (I suspect the next Oppo firmware release will contain this same update?)

It's been a while since I did any YouTube watching on my Oppo, so cannot confirm whether I'm having the issue or not.

Have you tried the standard solutions to any problem? i.e. switch the "Quick Start" mode to whichever setting you don't have, factory reset, etc.?
The Youtube app on my Oppo 103 got a bit of an overhaul a couple of months ago. I can now select videos hitting the down arrow while a video is playing. Kind of a neat feature.
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21392 of 21409 Old 06-30-2015, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochpa View Post
Thanks Scott. That's disappointing. The majority of my cds are from the 1980s and 90s. About half of them are classical, and Gracenote has trouble with the more obscure or import ones.
Mike
Its not all that common for CDA discs to have track tags, maybe 50% do. But there's a solution if you have a lot of them that don't. Use a good ripping tool like dBpoweramp to rip them and use a online database to pull cover art and tags and imbed those in lossless FLAC files. Put all your CDs on one drive and you never need to get out a disc again. The online ripping databases are pretty complete, its rare to find a CD not listed but if you do you can create your own tags.
tr2420 likes this.
post #21393 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Its not all that common for CDA discs to have track tags, maybe 50% do. But there's a solution if you have a lot of them that don't. Use a good ripping tool like dBpoweramp to rip them and use a online database to pull cover art and tags and imbed those in lossless FLAC files. Put all your CDs on one drive and you never need to get out a disc again. The online ripping databases are pretty complete, its rare to find a CD not listed but if you do you can create your own tags.
RDG, thanks for the suggestion. Many of my classical cds and some of my rock cds have gapless tracks. When I've ripped such cds to flac in the past (used dBpoweramp), they do no play back gapless when I've streamed them via DLNA from my pc. That seemingly small annoyance has a bigger impact on my listening enjoyment than I would have thought. I've read the Oppo 103 user manual, which indicates that it can play back FLACS gapless from an extenal drive), but it appears, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you have to select gapless from an options menu on the Oppo for the particular tracks every time you want to play those tracks? If this is correct, you'd have to remember which albums had gapless tracks before playing them. This is too complicated when I just want to listen to music, and defeats the convenience of having all my music in digital form in one location, even if it provides metadata and album art that I wouldn't have if I just played the cd. Don't know why gapless is so difficult when other devices, such as an ipod, can play them back with no problem, just like the cds they were ripped from.
Mike
post #21394 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
RDG, thanks for the suggestion. Many of my classical cds and some of my rock cds have gapless tracks.
The best solution in that situation is just to rip them as a single file.
post #21395 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 07:15 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The best solution in that situation is just to rip them as a single file.
But then the individual track info that he's looking for is missing... There really isn't a "best" solution in this case.
post #21396 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
But then the individual track info that he's looking for is missing... There really isn't a "best" solution in this case.
Or really, even a good one. My Logitech Busybox can do it...why not my Oppos?
post #21397 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 07:53 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Or really, even a good one. My Logitech Busybox can do it...why not my Oppos?
I know it's at least partly rhetorical, but we can't really answer "why" questions of this sort here... I'm honestly not sure if it's a hardware limitation they've been working around with the Options -> Gapless feature or if it's completely solvable in firmware. "Why" questions on this are probably best sent to Oppo for comment.
post #21398 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
oppo response to my youtube issues.

Quote:
Unfortunately this is something that has been reported to use and we have informed Google of these observations. We are using a simple HTML client to access the YouTube service, so any changes that will occur will happen on the server end, rather than the client end. So hopefully a fix will show up in a couple of days.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512
post #21399 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I know it's at least partly rhetorical, but we can't really answer "why" questions of this sort here... I'm honestly not sure if it's a hardware limitation they've been working around with the Options -> Gapless feature or if it's completely solvable in firmware. "Why" questions on this are probably best sent to Oppo for comment.
Actually, it was completely rhetorical...I wasn't expecting an answer from anyone here. Just making a minor point. I make my living as a kernel/device driver developer (in the Unix world) and do understand that things aren't always as easy as they seem from the outside. Just wish it would work.
post #21400 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Thanks Scott. That's disappointing. The majority of my cds are from the 1980s and 90s. About half of them are classical, and Gracenote has trouble with the more obscure or import ones.
Mike
I use CUEripper to create my gapless 'Flac/cue file' audio CD back-ups. Which play/navigate perfectly when accessed via SMB or HDD

EDIT: If you don't want to create lossless Flac audio files, CUEripper is also able to create gapless 'PCM.wav/cue file' audio CD back-ups...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-01-2015 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added info regarding PCM.wav files
post #21401 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Actually, combine the "rip as single file" with a cue-sheet generator and the solution is perfect! Since some recent firmware updates added the ability to read a cue-sheet to emulate track breaks on a large file, as long as you produce a cue-sheet from your original disc, you will be able to skip to individual tracks AND have them play back gapless. Best of both worlds!
post #21402 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I use CUEripper to create my gapless 'Flac/cue file' audio CD back-ups. Which play/navigate perfectly when accessed via SMB or HDD

EDIT: If you don't want to create lossless Flac audio files, CUEripper is also able to create gapless 'PCM.wav/cue file' audio CD back-ups...
I took a look at CueRipper, which I see is part of CueTools. Never used either. Some of my cds are SACD and HDCD. Can CueTools/CueRipper rip them as high res files?
post #21403 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I took a look at CueRipper, which I see is part of CueTools. Never used either. Some of my cds are SACD and HDCD. Can CueTools/CueRipper rip them as high res files?
HDCDs should remain HDCDs no matter how they are played back by Oppo -- as long as they remain WAV or FLAC the HDCD bits should remain intact and be recognized as such by the player. (Obviously not if they are converted to MP3s or whatever). But SACDs are a different beast entirely.
post #21404 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
The only thing that you can rip off a SACD using a standard computer is the non-hi-res, stereo "compatibility layer", no matter what software you use. Ripping the DSD layer of SACD requires specialized equipment. For consumers, that means a PS3 from a specific subset of older models, running an OLD firmware revision, and then with that firmware revision modded to enable ripping. So, no, CueTools can't rip SACD - but really - at least for most people - neither can anything else.

So, yes, you can rip a SACD with CueTools/CueRipper - but you will only get the CD-quality stereo layer - not the DSD.

Note that there are also tools available out there that will take a collection of audio files and "stitch" them together into a single audio file for gapless playback and produce a cue file. I have gone this route with much of what I have ripped (I do have the gear - sigh) from my classical SACD collection and the Oppo plays them fine - gapless - over DLNA (from jRiver Media Center, in my case).

So, my workflow for a gapless, multichannel, SACD is as follows:
1) Rip SACD to a SACD ISO on the PS3
2) Use ISO2DSD to extract the individual DSD tracks from the ISO as DSF files
3) Use DSD2FLAC to convert the individual DSD tracks to individual flac tracks at 88.2/24.
4) Use a nice tagging program to make sure the tags in the flac files are good to go
5) Stitch the individual flac tracks together into a single flac file and cue sheet
6) Use a nice tagging program to adjust the tags in the "big" flac file
7) Import into jRiver Media Center

Sound like a pain? Yep. But it works. And I can select a track in the middle of a gapless album and start playback there - and it will play gapless from that point forward.

You REALLY have to want gapless to go through steps 5,6,7, so I am pretty choosy about which discs I go to all this trouble for. Several of my classical discs are organized where individual movements are the tracks anyway, and where there are natural gaps between movements anyhow. So why bother going gapless for these? I don't bother.
fatherom likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...

Last edited by LairdWilliams; 07-01-2015 at 01:38 PM.
post #21405 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 01:54 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. Laird, yes, I would only want to go through the latter steps you mention for albums that have gapless tracks, not for other albums. Let's say I don't want to bother doing so, does the gapless option feature on the Oppo 103 actually work when playing FLACs from an album with gapless tracks, where the cd is ripped to separate FLAC files for each track?
Mike
post #21406 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help. Laird, yes, I would only want to go through the latter steps you mention for albums that have gapless tracks, not for other albums. Let's say I don't want to bother doing so, does the gapless option feature on the Oppo 103 actually work when playing FLACs from an album with gapless tracks, where the cd is ripped to separate FLAC files for each track?
Mike
Yes and No

Yes - from an attached USB drive or over SMB
No - from DLNA

Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
post #21407 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
The only thing that you can rip off a SACD using a standard computer is the non-hi-res, stereo "compatibility layer", no matter what software you use. Ripping the DSD layer of SACD requires specialized equipment. For consumers, that means a PS3 from a specific subset of older models, running an OLD firmware revision, and then with that firmware revision modded to enable ripping. So, no, CueTools can't rip SACD - but really - at least for most people - neither can anything else.

So, yes, you can rip a SACD with CueTools/CueRipper - but you will only get the CD-quality stereo layer - not the DSD.

Note that there are also tools available out there that will take a collection of audio files and "stitch" them together into a single audio file for gapless playback and produce a cue file. I have gone this route with much of what I have ripped (I do have the gear - sigh) from my classical SACD collection and the Oppo plays them fine - gapless - over DLNA (from jRiver Media Center, in my case).

So, my workflow for a gapless, multichannel, SACD is as follows:
1) Rip SACD to a SACD ISO on the PS3
2) Use ISO2DSD to extract the individual DSD tracks from the ISO as DSF files
3) Use DSD2FLAC to convert the individual DSD tracks to individual flac tracks at 88.2/24.
4) Use a nice tagging program to make sure the tags in the flac files are good to go
5) Stitch the individual flac tracks together into a single flac file and cue sheet
6) Use a nice tagging program to adjust the tags in the "big" flac file
7) Import into jRiver Media Center

Sound like a pain? Yep. But it works. And I can select a track in the middle of a gapless album and start playback there - and it will play gapless from that point forward.

You REALLY have to want gapless to go through steps 5,6,7, so I am pretty choosy about which discs I go to all this trouble for. Several of my classical discs are organized where individual movements are the tracks anyway, and where there are natural gaps between movements anyhow. So why bother going gapless for these? I don't bother.
Hi, Laird. You mention that you are converting the DSF tracks to flac tracks. Can I ask you why you are doing this. Are you not losing quality? Thank you.
post #21408 of 21409 Old 07-01-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
The Youtube app on my Oppo 103 got a bit of an overhaul a couple of months ago. I can now select videos hitting the down arrow while a video is playing. Kind of a neat feature.
Also having the same problem on my Sony region free player. I guess the problem is on Youtube's end.
post #21409 of 21409 Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
Hi, Laird. You mention that you are converting the DSF tracks to flac tracks. Can I ask you why you are doing this. Are you not losing quality? Thank you.
Between 88.2/24 flacs and DSD? - not really - no.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page