Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 723 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 522Likes

post #21661 of 21686 Old 08-21-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I use HDMI 1 but lately every 2 or 3 days, the 103 turns on with this pink/purple tint on the screen and it only gets corrected by unplugging the unit and then plugging it back. It's happening so often now that I wonder if it's going bad. Should I call technical support?
That's a handshake failure with the TV, caused by the TV expecting RGB color space and getting YCbCr. Nothing wrong with the Oppo, but you can take steps to sort it out. Set the Oppo to output an explicit color space instead of "auto". All else fails, try a different HDMI cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21662 of 21686 Old 08-21-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5284 Post(s)
Liked: 2255
Quote:
I use HDMI 1 but lately every 2 or 3 days, the 103 turns on with this pink/purple tint on the screen and it only gets corrected by unplugging the unit and then plugging it back. It's happening so often now that I wonder if it's going bad. Should I call technical support?
Check your HDMI cable first. ...By disconnecting it @ both ends and reconnecting it. ...If the issue persists, try another cable.

EDIT: I just read the above post.

<<<♦>>> My prior question remains: Are you guys using the HDMI 1 output for your Blu-ray movie watching, or the HDMI 2 output?

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-21-2015 at 10:42 AM.
post #21663 of 21686 Old 08-21-2015, 10:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Sometimes you can fix this by altering the startup order of the various devices. I do display first, player last, but other ordering might work better for you.

As said: don't use AUTO color space.

You can force a new handshake without powering off. Try switching Resolution to some other values and back again, or switch the input on the display away from the player and back.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #21664 of 21686 Old 08-21-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
That's a handshake failure with the TV, caused by the TV expecting RGB color space and getting YCbCr. Nothing wrong with the Oppo, but you can take steps to sort it out. Set the Oppo to output an explicit color space instead of "auto". All else fails, try a different HDMI cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Check your HDMI cable first. ...By disconnecting it @ both ends and reconnecting it. ...If the issue persists, try another cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Sometimes you can fix this by altering the startup order of the various devices. I do display first, player last, but other ordering might work better for you.

As said: don't use AUTO color space.

You can force a new handshake without powering off. Try switching Resolution to some other values and back again, or switch the input on the display away from the player and back.

-Bill
Thanks for all the responses! I will change the color space tonight when I put on a movie. I will also check the Harmony remote as I'm sure there is a way to change the order but I haven't done that in years.

lujan
799 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #21665 of 21686 Old 08-21-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses! I will change the color space tonight when I put on a movie. I will also check the Harmony remote as I'm sure there is a way to change the order but I haven't done that in years.
If it was previously working fine, and nothing else has changed then the power-on sequence probably isn't relevant.
post #21666 of 21686 Old 08-21-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
If it was previously working fine, and nothing else has changed then the power-on sequence probably isn't relevant.
I changed the color space from "Auto" to "YCbCr" on HDMI 1 since that's the only one I use. I'm assuming it doesn't matter which one I select?

lujan
799 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #21667 of 21686 Old 08-21-2015, 04:37 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
I changed the color space from "Auto" to "YCbCr" on HDMI 1 since that's the only one I use. I'm assuming it doesn't matter which one I select?
YCbCr 4:4:4 should be the default for HDMI connections, but we don't trust AUTO responses from the display to establish that.

Color space shouldn't make a difference, but sometimes does. The Spears & Munsil site has an article showing how to test it for yourself.

I use RGB Video. Never use RGB PC unless you are connected to a computer monitor that expects it.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #21668 of 21686 Old 08-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I read earlier in this thread that a replacement for the 103 may not come out this year or next. Has anyone heard through the grapevine if this is still the case?

If you think your NFL team doesn't cheat, think again: http://yourteamcheats.com
post #21669 of 21686 Old 08-22-2015, 03:52 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post
I read earlier in this thread that a replacement for the 103 may not come out this year or next. Has anyone heard through the grapevine if this is still the case?
There has been no new information.

-Billl

post #21670 of 21686 Old 08-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
There has been no new information.

-Billl
Too bad, but thanks for letting me know.

If you think your NFL team doesn't cheat, think again: http://yourteamcheats.com
post #21671 of 21686 Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help set-up Oppo 103 SACD to KanexPro to Onkyo A9070

Hi everyone, this is my first posting on AVS - and I have been impressed by the knowledge here.

I have done an extensive search but could not find the specific answers that I am looking for - and I hope that I can find them here. I was not sure where to post (on the 2 channel or Oppo 103 thread) so I will post this on both. Here it goes.

I have an Oppo 103 connect to my Onkyo A9070 amp (it has 2 Wolfson DAC 24/192) thru the Kanex Pro (thank you smarty-pants) and out to Martin Logan ESL. My primary interest is to play SACD to the best possible rate/quality - I guess DSD. (Yes, I have read all the controversy about DSD vs PCM)

I read and read and tried all different set-ups but still today the Oppo shows that the signal out is PCM and does not allow me to switch/use DSD. What am I do wrong?

The Oppo out is HDMI Port 2 (as directed by manual) to Kanex Pro and then Optical to the DAC on Onkyo.

Oppo set-up is:

Secondary Audio: OFF
HDMI Audio: Bistream
HDMI Output Resolution 1080p24 Output: ON
SACD: only PCM - it does not allow me to switch to DSD
HDCD Decoding: ON

Downmix mode: Stereo or 5.1ch? (I am guessing stereo?)

Crossover: 250hz (my Logan crossover is 500hz - what do you suggest?)

I know that I have a 2 channels set up (I am planning to add a Logan subwoofer out the pre-amp) but why I cannot send pure DSD to my Onkyo with the de-embedder?

Are the setting ok? Please suggestions. Thank you.
post #21672 of 21686 Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 125
You can't transmit DSD unless the device at the other end will accept it. Does your Onkyo accept DSD? Secondly, if you are connecting the audio output of the Opp to the Onkyo via optical, that won't work for DSD either since optical can't transmit DSD. I suspect transmission through the Kanex may be a factor too. Have you tried connecting the Oppo directly to your receiver to see what happens?

post #21673 of 21686 Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
You can't transmit DSD unless the device at the other end will accept it. Does your Onkyo accept DSD? Secondly, if you are connecting the audio output of the Opp to the Onkyo via optical, that won't work for DSD either since optical can't transmit DSD. I suspect transmission through the Kanex may be a factor too. Have you tried connecting the Oppo directly to your receiver to see what happens?
Hi I did not try to connected directly because the Oppo manual is clear that anything coming out (optical/coax digital) unless HDMI will output in LPCM due to the Sony protection. I thought that the de-embedder (Kanex Pro) was doing the trick to get around that restriction then allowing to pass DSD from optical.

What you raise is important and I have not checked: if indeed my Onkyo DAC can accept/pass DSD - I have to contact them directly to find out.
post #21674 of 21686 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lari5 View Post
Hi I did not try to connected directly because the Oppo manual is clear that anything coming out (optical/coax digital) unless HDMI will output in LPCM due to the Sony protection. I thought that the de-embedder (Kanex Pro) was doing the trick to get around that restriction then allowing to pass DSD from optical.
What you raise is important and I have not checked: if indeed my Onkyo DAC can accept/pass DSD - I have to contact them directly to find out.

Hi Iari 5,
From what I read, the OPPO is HDMI connected to the Kanex Pro. Then , if the DSD option is not available, it means the Kanex does not accept the DSD and Oppo switches to PCM. On the Onkyo side, there is no HDMI input, then no possibility to get it accepting DSD.

looks like a no go...
Kami
post #21675 of 21686 Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I'm having problems connecting to a network share with my 103. I have a USB drive plugged into my router directly, and have set up an SMB share through the router to that USB drive, with authentication enabled. I am able to connect and authenticate through my computers in the house, and also on my Android phone via the ES File Explorer app. However, when I enter those same credentials in the Oppo Media Player app, it returns login failed.

I did temporarily try authentication disabled (guest login, or anonymous login (no credentials required)) on the router SMB share and got the same result. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.

post #21676 of 21686 Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

Others have zeroed in on the Onkyo not accepting DSD, but I think that point is moot anyway (at least with the Keanex in the mix).
Reason being is, DSD can not be passed through S/PDIF (optical)... even without copy protection... I just don't think it's possible.
(I could be wrong, as I have not tried this with a KeanexPro, so anyone is welcome to correct me,
but again I have never heard of being able to pass DSD through S/PDIF.)

The main goal of the application with the Keanex, is to be able to transmit higher resolution digital audio from the Oppo,
to something else that may have a better DAC application.
So the purpose of the Keanex device is to yes, convert the HDMI audio to optical audio so
that it can be input to an external decoder (DAC) like the Oppo HA-1, or in your case the Onkyo device.
Again though, I believe your only option of doing that is via PCM.

If you wish to use DSD, you would have send DSD out of the Oppo and into a device that will accept and process DSD.
Maybe your Onkyo does or doesn't do that, but if it did, you wouldn't even need the Keanex device in the mix.
If you don't have the proper device to decode the DSD audio after it's transmitted from the Oppo,
then you will have be content with PCM instead.
So in this particular case, your best option to use the DAC in the Onkyo instead of the Oppo, is the exact way you have
already set it up. HDMI from the Oppo into the Keanex, then optical from the Keanex into the Onkyo,
but again this will only be possible with PCM audio and not DSD.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #21677 of 21686 Old Today, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Others have zeroed in on the Onkyo not accepting DSD, but I think that point is moot anyway (at least with the Keanex in the mix).
Reason being is, DSD can not be passed through S/PDIF (optical)... even without copy protection... I just don't think it's possible.
(I could be wrong, as I have not tried this with a KeanexPro, so anyone is welcome to correct me,
but again I have never heard of being able to pass DSD through S/PDIF.)

The main goal of the application with the Keanex, is to be able to transmit higher resolution digital audio from the Oppo,
to something else that may have a better DAC application.
So the purpose of the Keanex device is to yes, convert the HDMI audio to optical audio so
that it can be input to an external decoder (DAC) like the Oppo HA-1, or in your case the Onkyo device.
Again though, I believe your only option of doing that is via PCM.

If you wish to use DSD, you would have send DSD out of the Oppo and into a device that will accept and process DSD.
Maybe your Onkyo does or doesn't do that, but if it did, you wouldn't even need the Keanex device in the mix.
If you don't have the proper device to decode the DSD audio after it's transmitted from the Oppo,
then you will have be content with PCM instead.
So in this particular case, your best option to use the DAC in the Onkyo instead of the Oppo, is the exact way you have
already set it up. HDMI from the Oppo into the Keanex, then optical from the Keanex into the Onkyo,
but again this will only be possible with PCM audio and not DSD.
Thank you Dave and Arrius. I did more research and indeed the Wolfson DAC on the Onkyo A9070 ONLY accepts PCM. Interesting enough, the coaxial DAC pass higher resolution than optical...

I was able to switch the Oppo to DSD but no sound coming thru.

Yes, the Kanex still allows to pass LPCM at higher resolution (I was able to play the 2L BD the nordic sound at 96 Khz) from the HDMI 2 Port on the Oppo. So, just to make myself feel better (in the dispute between DSD vs PCM) I was glad to read from the sounds engineer of the 2L BD that he felt that " I personally prefer extremely high resolution PCM over the DSD an I would claim that DSD is not transparent.(Morten Lindberg)"

One more thing: the Oppo passes higher resolution when set to "Stereo" 2ch versus "Multich" for my 2ch system.

I love the Onkyo I think is a terrific amp for the monies and I don't want to give it up for DSD...

Thank you again. Massimo.
post #21678 of 21686 Old Today, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

Yes, the Kanex still allows to pass LPCM at higher resolution (I was able to play the 2L BD the nordic sound at 96 Khz) from the HDMI 2 Port on the Oppo. So, just to make myself feel better (in the dispute between DSD vs PCM) I was glad to read from the sounds engineer of the 2L BD that he felt that " I personally prefer extremely high resolution PCM over the DSD an I would claim that DSD is not transparent.(Morten Lindberg)"

One more thing: the Oppo passes higher resolution when set to "Stereo" 2ch versus "Multich" for my 2ch system.

I love the Onkyo I think is a terrific amp for the monies and I don't want to give it up for DSD...

Thank you again. Massimo.
If you're not aware, your Oppo will convert DSD to 24 bit, 88.2KHz PCM with the DSD to PCM conversion. I wouldn't call that extremely high resolution PCM, but it's double the oversampling of standard redbook CD's. With the PCM conversion, you can do bass management, if you desire. With DSD direct to Analog, no additional audio processing is allowed.
post #21679 of 21686 Old Today, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post
Bluraychip Pro Kit

This one has you opening the box, but no soldering, correct?
I have not chipped mine, but according to most http://www.bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=26
This does everything most would need, if memory serve the main difference is the pro kit being rs232 controllable and possible able to change region after boot although I'm not so sure about that one..
erwinfrombelgium likes this.
post #21680 of 21686 Old Today, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
I have not chipped mine, but according to most http://www.bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=26
This does everything most would need, if memory serve the main difference is the pro kit being rs232 controllable and possible able to change region after boot although I'm not so sure about that one..
Or save 30 bucks and get similar from ebay (this one for example). It can be mounted externally so you don't have to open your player up, or internally.
erwinfrombelgium likes this.
post #21681 of 21686 Old Today, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just a couple of quick questions..

I just ordered the top of the line sound bar (considered by many) since I live in an apartment, the paradigm soundscape with an added cinema paradigm subwoofer. It only has optical outputs on it and cannot decode the newest lossless audios. That's fine since it is a sound bar and you most likely won't be able to hear the difference between the compressed stuff..

I'm a huge blu ray collector and mainly watch 4k and 3D blu-rays. I have the newest JS8500 65" Samsung 4K display.

Would this OPPO BDP-103 benefit me versus the current PS4 I have now for blu-ray watching? I am just on the fence because I do not know how good a 4k "upscaler" does and also because of the price for my current configuration. I do plan to own a home in the next 3 years and get a movie theater room, but by that time I'll be upgrading to a true 4K player with 4K blu-rays (hopefully).

Also, would the 103-D be better suited for me since I really like the best picture quality possible or is it more of a gimmick?

I game on a separate monitor for the PS4 so it is kind of a pain to constantly unplug it back and forth between the TV and my 27" Asus gaming monitor.

I figured getting a second PS4 would solve the issue since I plan to get one for my girlfriend for christmas, but I will most likely get her a monitor as well since a 65" screen isn't good for competitive gaming.

Please advise me why or why not I should get an OPPO 103 over the PS4 for my current setup.

*I forgot to mention that I have had the latest upscaled Sony 6500 BDP player and it was extremely slow and did not seem very good quality (then again it was only $129.99).

Thank you in advance!

Selling Over 1100 Blu Ray Movies here:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-ph...llections.html

Last edited by iStorm; Today at 10:21 AM.
post #21682 of 21686 Old Today, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
If you're not aware, your Oppo will convert DSD to 24 bit, 88.2KHz PCM with the DSD to PCM conversion. I wouldn't call that extremely high resolution PCM, but it's double the oversampling of standard redbook CD's. With the PCM conversion, you can do bass management, if you desire. With DSD direct to Analog, no additional audio processing is allowed.
Not aware of that. Strange, my Onkyo display indicated 96Khz digital input sampling rate on some tracks...
post #21683 of 21686 Old Today, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not aware of that. Strange, my Onkyo display indicated 96Khz digital input sampling rate on some tracks...
My above statement only applies to SACD or DSD audio files played on the Oppo 10x series, and converted to PCM by the Oppo player. Lossy, compressed, or lossless PCM audio other than DSD can be passed at higher oversampling rates by the Oppo.
post #21684 of 21686 Old Today, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
My above statement only applies to SACD or DSD audio files played on the Oppo 10x series, and converted to PCM by the Oppo player. Lossy, compressed, or lossless PCM audio other than DSD can be passed at higher oversampling rates by the Oppo.
Dan, in fact this was a BD recorded with DXD 24/352.8 khz.
If you have some time I would like to know your set with your OPPO i.e. playback, audio format, processing etc...
post #21685 of 21686 Old Today, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dan, in fact this was a BD recorded with DXD 24/352.8 khz.
If you have some time I would like to know your set with your OPPO i.e. playback, audio format, processing etc...
Not sure what you mean by "in fact"....DXD is not DSD. Completely different formats.
post #21686 of 21686 Old Today, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
Thanks, I think I will get that one!

Slowly building a 9.2.6 HT: ◤SEOS-24◥ BMS 4594ND/dual Beyma 18P80Nd [tri-amped LCR] • Cinema 10 Max [6 Surrounds] • Beta 10CX [6 Atmos] • LLT Mal-x 18" subs [2] • miniDSP 4x10HD [2] • XPR-5 • MM8003 [2] • XMC-1 • PT AT6000E • 130" Seymour Center XD • Oppo 103EU • Ample absorption & diffusion

2ch: iMac & Amarra+Dirac • Weiss DAC2 • XSP-1 • XPA-1 • Jamo R909
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page