Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 724 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 522Likes

post #21691 of 21707 Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnM5 View Post
This might be a better question for the McIntosh specific forum on Audio Karma or Audio Aficionado, but I wanted to get some thoughts from Oppo owners. What do you think is the best way to use the player as an SACD player? It would be primarily for 2 channel SACD playback. (Equipment: Oppo 103D, McIntosh MX121 processor, McIntosh C2500 tube preamp)

A. Playback over HDMI running through the MX121 (the C2500 is in pass through mode)

B. Playback through the analog outs on the 103D into the C2500 via PCM

C. Playback through the analog outs on the 103D into the cC2500 via DSD
I think the best advice Linger gave you above is to try all your options and see what "you" prefer best. In order to do that, you have to know and understand your options and its consequences. First off, I'm pretty sure your McIntosh processor cannot accept a pure DSD audio stream, so your "A" option would be to have your 103 convert DSD to PCM and send PCM via HDMI to your MX121 for further digital processing (Audyssey, etc.), or conversion to analog by your MX121 to your preamp, or even conversion to analog by your tube preamp (looks like it has a DAC also). With regards to digital processing of the signal, I provided you with a link from another forum concerning some of your issues/options. The OP of that discussion preferred to perform Audyssey processing on his audio playback. You'll have to be the final judge on that as to what you prefer..

http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcint...105-mx121.html

As for your B and C options, you're asking the 103 to either convert DSD to PCM before converting to analog(B), or convert DSD direct to analog (C). Be careful of your C option, because you won't be able to control your volume on the 103. In fact, the volume will be fixed at max output, but if you're connecting directly to a preamp, your preamp should provide you the necessary voltage reduction/attenuation before reaching your amp.

Last edited by DanF8500; Yesterday at 08:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21692 of 21707 Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 37
To GSR and DanF8500,

Thanks for cleaning up my misleading post guys.
I knew what I wanted to say in my head but messed up a bit when writing it.

AuburnM5 should definitely know his best options now!!

Cheers
post #21693 of 21707 Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Having HDMI stability issue when I output at 1080p, Auto, or 4K2K

I have something quite weird happening between my Oppo 103 and my Sony 350ES 4K projector.

My projector is connected directly to my Oppo's HDMI 1 and I have HDMI 2 going to my preamp, because it is 8 years old and can't handle a 3D signal pass. I have the "Split A/V" signal on as well.

If I set the video output on my Oppo to 1080P, Auto, or 4K2K, when I am on the Oppo Home screen, the image keeps coming and going every few seconds, and I sometimes see the "frequency out of range" message from my projector. When I play a Bluray, this doesn't happen and the HDMI sync is stable. It also doesn't happen if I set the output resolution to 1080i or 720p.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I really want to have 1080p/24, so I don't want to downgrade my output resolution just to keep the Home menu stable, but this is an annoying issue. The coming and going of the HDMI sync also appears to affect Netflix.

I apologize if this is discussed in the thread, but I couldn't figure out how to search for it.

Thanks!

Jeffnebraska
Reaching for the Next Level With a Sony 350ES and a 133" 2.35 AT Screen
post #21694 of 21707 Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNebraska View Post
I have something quite weird happening between my Oppo 103 and my Sony 350ES 4K projector.
Is the preamp also connected to the projector? If so, what happens when you disconnect that?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #21695 of 21707 Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Is the preamp also connected to the projector? If so, what happens when you disconnect that?

-Bill
The preamp is connected to the projector's other input, since I pass my non-3D signals through the preamp. I don't think disconnecting that could have any effect on my ability to hold an HDMI sync on my other input.

Jeffnebraska
post #21696 of 21707 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
The preamp is connected to the projector's other input, since I pass my non-3D signals through the preamp. I don't think disconnecting that could have any effect on my ability to hold an HDMI sync on my other input.
Just as an experiment, could you try it?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #21697 of 21707 Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
The Home Menu is 1080p/60, more than twice the bandwidth of 1080p/24 from a Blu-Ray. It could simply be that the cable from OPPO to projector needs to be upgraded. Or that the plug needs to be reseated at one or both ends.

But as suggested, START by disconnecting the cable from AVR to projector. The projector is getting HDMI signals on both inputs, and the first thing to check is that this is not causing it to fail.

I.E., simplify first, then diagnose from there.
--Bob
post #21698 of 21707 Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The Home Menu is 1080p/60, more than twice the bandwidth of 1080p/24 from a Blu-Ray. It could simply be that the cable from OPPO to projector needs to be upgraded. Or that the plug needs to be reseated at one or both ends.

But as suggested, START by disconnecting the cable from AVR to projector. The projector is getting HDMI signals on both inputs, and the first thing to check is that this is not causing it to fail.

I.E., simplify first, then diagnose from there.
--Bob
I like this explanation, because it is a crappy cable and a 25'+ run. I'm going to try a cable swap first, then experiment with unplugging the other HDMI input. The problem with doing that is, I need both of them plugged in, because I use both.

Jeffnebraska
post #21699 of 21707 Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Sure, we are talking about temporary steps for diagnosis. If the problem turns out to be due to having both cables connected to the projector, then the workarounds are different.

But if you already know the cable from OPPO to projector is a problem, then upgrading it now also makes sense.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #21700 of 21707 Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

While I'm on the subject, has anyone formulated an opinion about whether 1080p or 4k2k is the better output for 4k projectors and TVs?
post #21701 of 21707 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
I like this explanation, because it is a crappy cable and a 25'+ run. I'm going to try a cable swap first, then experiment with unplugging the other HDMI input. The problem with doing that is, I need both of them plugged in, because I use both.
You might look at Monoprice HDMI cables with Redmere technology for that long run.
post #21702 of 21707 Old Today, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

The cable quality appears to be the problem. I have one good cable and one cheap cable running from my equipment area to my projector. When I swapped those cables, I was able to hold HDMI sync at both 1080p and 4K2K on the home menu and Netflix. That was a relief.

Still testing whether my cheap cable is adequate for all my other components (TiVo, AppleTV, XBox One), but I'm guessing it will be.

Also, still wondering if those with 4K displays prefer to output in 1080p or 4K2K. Any consensus on that?

Thanks for the insight.
post #21703 of 21707 Old Today, 09:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ There's no consensus. Some 4K displays do a better job when fed 1080p (the display scales that to 4K), some when fed 4K. If you can't tell the difference, then I suggest you send 1080p as it is less bandwidth on the cable.

Get familiar with a calibration disc (e.g., Spears & Munsil v2, available direct from OPPO Digital), and be sure to check basic calibration levels both ways just in case the display does something unexpected with the two forms of input. I.e., black levels (Brightness), white levels (Contrast), colors (Saturation & Tint), and Sharpness. Some displays may also limit the "value added" video features they offer to just 1080p input. I.e., they don't have the processing power to do those as well as handle the data rate of 4K input. If those features are important to you, then that may limit you to 1080p input.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Today at 09:32 AM.
post #21704 of 21707 Old Today, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Bob. I should do some A/B testing, but I think I will stick with 1080P.

I have Spears and Munsil v.2, which I use for brightness and contrast, but my display color, white balance, and gamma is calibrated using Chromapure and a sensor.
post #21705 of 21707 Old Today, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OPPO 103 Player stopped reading discs.

My Oppo 103 player has suddenly stopped reading discs.

A few nights ago, I was watching the special features for The Kingsmen, the picture started freezing up. I stopped the player and turned it off(with disc still in the player.)
A few days later, I decided to try and watch the special features again, and this time it wouldn't read the disc. The player doesn't acknowledge that there is a disc in the player, and stays on the main menu.

I removed the disc and put it in another player and it played fine.
I assumed it was a compatibility issue with the disc and the Oppo player.

Tonight, I put The Criterion Time Bandits Blu-Ray disc in the Oppo player and I am getting the No Disc message. I tried playing a DVD and get the same No Disc message.
For the heck of it, I restored default settings, but still it will still not play any discs.
I have the latest software updates.

Has anyone had similar experiences or have any idea what the problem could be(hardware, software problem?) and how I can possibly fix the player?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
post #21706 of 21707 Old Today, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 847
^^^ I fear the problem may be with something not working right in your player. A couple of weeks ago I rented the Kingsman: The Secret Service BD from Redbox. It played flawlessly in my 103, which makes me fear that something may be amiss with yours.
post #21707 of 21707 Old Today, 07:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by videomax6 View Post
My Oppo 103 player has suddenly stopped reading discs.

A few nights ago, I was watching the special features for The Kingsmen, the picture started freezing up. I stopped the player and turned it off(with disc still in the player.)
A few days later, I decided to try and watch the special features again, and this time it wouldn't read the disc. The player doesn't acknowledge that there is a disc in the player, and stays on the main menu.

I removed the disc and put it in another player and it played fine.
I assumed it was a compatibility issue with the disc and the Oppo player.

Tonight, I put The Criterion Time Bandits Blu-Ray disc in the Oppo player and I am getting the No Disc message. I tried playing a DVD and get the same No Disc message.
For the heck of it, I restored default settings, but still it will still not play any discs.
I have the latest software updates.

Has anyone had similar experiences or have any idea what the problem could be(hardware, software problem?) and how I can possibly fix the player?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
The most likely reason is that the laser lens needs to be cleaned. It may have picked up some dust or a particulate film.

Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support and they will walk you through what your options are for cleaning it yourself, or sending it in for service if you prefer. They have moderately priced flat rate service if your player is out of the 2 year warranty.
--Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc