Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 725 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 523Likes
post #21721 of 21731 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by residency08 View Post
Hello Experts,

I have a lot of my own media digitally stored (TV shows & movies). In various formats, mp4, mkv, flv etc

If I purchase an OPPO will I be able to attach this HDD to it and then stream the media to my new projector?
any usb issues to deal with? etc...

(Previously I was using a WD TV live to achieve the same)

Thank you

Chuck
USB 3.0 devices are downward compatible with USB 2.0 ports, so you shouldn't have any issues connecting your drive to your 103.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21722 of 21731 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Hello Experts,

I have a lot of my own media digitally stored (TV shows & movies). In various formats, mp4, mkv, flv etc

If I purchase an OPPO will I be able to attach this HDD to it and then stream the media to my new projector?
any usb issues to deal with? etc...

(Previously I was using a WD TV live to achieve the same)

Thank you

Chuck
See this FAQ section for details on media file support: Media Files.

There is a lot of variability in media files, so it is impossible to say "yes" to everything you might have. But a lot of people use the OPPO in this way.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #21723 of 21731 Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This thread is really handy! Thanks for the info guys!
post #21724 of 21731 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I'm getting "Unknown Disc" with the BDMV version, but the AVCHD version on DVD loads and runs correctly.

If still no good for you we should check both the player firmware and AVS HD 709 version numbers.

-Bill
FYI, you were right. My disc for the 83 and 93 was obviously the HDMV version. Burned a copy of the AVCHD version and it played in the 103 perfectly. Thanks!
wmcclain likes this.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #21725 of 21731 Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Residency08,
See the FAQ -- link at the top of the first post of this thread -- for info on supported container file formats, and supported audio/video codecs within the container files.

Every streaming device is different, so it would not surprise me if you found some issues you had to work around -- sometimes no more complicated than re-muxing the problem files with the newest version of the file making tool.

Subtitles in movies are a common area where you might need to do things differently. The same with meta data like artwork.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 05:31 PM.
post #21726 of 21731 Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 316
A question for those who use the MHL Roku streaming stick. Does the MHL port stay powered on when the player is not in use? i.e, the Roku stick doesn't require rebooting each time the player is activated. Thanks in advance.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
post #21727 of 21731 Unread Yesterday, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
A question for those who use the MHL Roku streaming stick. Does the MHL port stay powered on when the player is not in use? i.e, the Roku stick doesn't require rebooting each time the player is activated. Thanks in advance.
This coordinates with the STANDBY MODE option in the setup menu of the player.
If you choose to use QUICK START mode, then the Roku stick will not need to go though a full bootup
every time the player is power cycled.
If you choose ENERGY EFFICIENT mode, then the Roku will need to go though a full reboot
when the player is power cycled.

When you first insert the Roku stick in the front MHL port of the player,
the player will automatically set itself to QUICK START for the best control option for the Roku stick.
After that happens, if you want to switch to ENERGY EFFICIENT mode, you can do so via the setup menu of the player.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #21728 of 21731 Unread Today, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
mr bob/wmcclain/danf8500,

Thanks for the insight.

Recoding/muxing of problem files will be fine. I can handle that.

My concern is the actual hdd drive. I dont need to replace it with something fancier just because of the oppo right?

I have seen some with drobo, qnap etc.. attached to the unit. How do these differ? Should I be thinking about these? (I only want the NAS connected and used in one room. no sharing needed..)

thanks

Chuck
post #21729 of 21731 Unread Today, 05:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:

Thanks for the insight.

Recoding/muxing of problem files will be fine. I can handle that.

My concern is the actual hdd drive. I dont need to replace it with something fancier just because of the oppo right?

I have seen some with drobo, qnap etc.. attached to the unit. How do these differ? Should I be thinking about these? (I only want the NAS connected and used in one room. no sharing needed..)

thanks

Chuck
I don't know of any issues with the hard drive.

Apart from directly connecting a drive to the player, the player can access files on your local area network, via two methods: DLNA and SMB. Even if you are not otherwise sharing the files with another device, the virtues of network access is that you can maintain your collection without plugging and unplugging the drive from the player.

The virtue of a direct connection is simplicity.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #21730 of 21731 Unread Today, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

Thanks for the insight.

I only want the NAS connected and used in one room. no sharing needed..)

thanks

Chuck
So, you actually have a NAS in addition to a 4 tb usb drive? The whole benefit of a NAS drive is that it can be shared/accessed by every device in your home network. Your Oppo should be part of your home network (i.e. attached to your router). IMO, it makes no sense trying to maintain a 4 tB usb drive full of audio/video media.....it will become a PITA every time you want to add files to it (you'll have to disconnect from your Oppo, and connect to your computer to transfer files).

Last edited by DanF8500; Today at 07:30 AM.
post #21731 of 21731 Unread Today, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
So, you actually have a NAS in addition to a 4 tb usb drive? The whole benefit of a NAS drive is that it can be shared/accessed by every device in your home network. Your Oppo should be part of your home network (i.e. attached to your router). IMO, it makes no sense trying to maintain a 4 tB usb drive full of audio/video media.....it will become a PITA every time you want to add files to it (you'll have to disconnect from your Oppo, and connect to your computer to transfer files).
hi,

sorry no NAS. just the 4tb drive.

the drive used to be connected to a wd tv live media box. and each time i needed to add/delete movies, I disconnected it. Connected to laptop transferred and then reconnected . I know .. I know.. PITA..

Can you guys point me to a link/tutorial that helps with setting up the oppo to a network and and then adding files the attached drives?

Thanks

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page