Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 727 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 752Likes

Old 09-10-2015, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How is gapless playback for FLAC files working for everyone?
Myself tried a mix album today with all separate FLAC files.
Put it on external USB 2.0 stick, and played first track with gapless playback feature.
First tracks seemed to go fine but after a couple I noticed small off-beat sounds when going to the next track.
Like the DJ mixed it wrong. Very minor though, but it was noticeable.

In foobar2000 these same files play perfect by the way.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)

Last edited by Daffietje; 09-10-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post
How is gapless playback for FLAC files working for everyone?
Myself tried a mix album today with all separate FLAC files.
Put it on external USB 2.0 stick, and played first track with gapless playback feature.
First tracks seemed to go fine but after a couple I noticed small off-beat sounds when going to the next track.
Like the DJ mixed it wrong. Very minor though, but it was noticeable.

In foobar2000 these same files play perfect by the way.
Doesn't work at all for me (yet) over network share, which is where all of my FLAC files are, unfortunately.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
^ Gapless over network is only available (for supported file types) from an SMB-share (not DLNA), and, at the moment, only if you initiate playback using the iOS or Android Media Control app (latest version).

To do that from the app, navigate in the in-app browser to the starting track, Tap and Hold on that track title, and a pop-up will appear in the app offering the Gapless choice.

When done correctly, the on-screen Now Playing page will show "Gapless" above the time line.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Gapless over network is only available (for supported file types) from an SMB-share (not DLNA), and, at the moment, only if you initiate playback using the iOS or Android Media Control app (latest version).

To do that from the app, navigate in the in-app browser to the starting track, Tap and Hold on that track title, and a pop-up will appear in the app offering the Gapless choice.

When done correctly, the on-screen Now Playing page will show "Gapless" above the time line.
--Bob
Thanks. Well, I'm one of the happy legions of OShare users, so I'm DLNA only unfortunately. That's neat about the Media Control App gapless support, and would try it out if DLNA were supported....
Old 09-10-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love Oppo products,I have three players and the PM-3 headphones. As far as gapless on these players ,It is a joke. If you want
true gapless get a portable payer or a Receiver that supports it.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaw View Post
. As far as gapless on these players ,It is a joke. .
Its not a joke. Its a software work-around to fix a hardware limitation. Blame Mediatek for not creating a SOC that can do it natively. Although Mediatek is certainly not alone, most cannot.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:24 PM

It don't matter who's fault it is,it does not work worth a crap. Maybe you haven't owned something that works.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I love Oppo products,I have three players and the PM-3 headphones. As far as gapless on these players ,It is a joke. If you want true gapless get a portable payer or a Receiver that supports it.
From what I understand, the Pono player will work gapless. Can anyone guide me to a link for other options?
Old 09-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
It don't matter who's fault it is,it does not work worth a crap. Maybe you haven't owned something that works.
There are limited file types that are supported, and Gapless is only available from directly attached drives, and SMB-shares (as described above), but those limitations aside, what issues are you having with it?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 09-10-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
There are limited file types that are supported, and Gapless is only available from directly attached drives, and SMB-shares (as described above), but those limitations aside, what issues are you having with it?
--Bob
I know this.There should be a on and off so when you change albums or folders you don't
Have to reset gapless.It would be nice if it worked for more file types.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryDouglas View Post
From what I understand, the Pono player will work gapless. Can anyone guide me to a link for other options?
I own a fiioX3 and a fiioX5 2nd gen and both work well on most files. The ones that have a small problem only have a fast click that you need to be waiting for to hear.(AAC AND MP3s)
Old 09-10-2015, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I should have included, I'm only interestied in FLAC.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
103D as 2.1 analog preamp. Correct SPL setup and +10dB trim, when to apply?

Need help with this question about +10dB trim comment however this time I am using Spears and Munsil 2nd edition BD to SPL match my 2.1 setup using RadioShack SPL meter. Please note that I am using 103D as preamp (analog L and R from Oppo feeding my power amp and Oppo’s LFE feeding my JTR active subwoofer). How do I properly setup my Oppo using SPL meter? I set L & R channels to Small and L & R speakers' trim to 0 and Sub trim to 0. Now do I measure all three channels and get them all to the same 75db? For that I use Oppo’s volume control to get L&R to 75dB then I use sub Gain control to get Sub’s SPL to 75dB? And when they all matched to 75dB only then I apply +10dB via Sub trim in Oppo Speaker Config settings? Since my front L&R are set to Small, do I need to get trim to +15dB instead of +10?

Please note I use my setup for music in 2.1 and watch movies as well in 2.1 setup. No additional channels.

Thank you so much again for all your help!

Last edited by dvzzz; 09-10-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Once all speakers and the sub measure the same -- 75dB being the recommended target level -- then you are done. To achieve that the correct amount of sub boost must already have been applied, in your case by adjusting the volume knob on the sub itself.

The sub boost needed in your configuration -- with speakers set to Small -- is actually +15dB, but you don't need to worry about such details. Just adjust until the sub and the main speakers measure the same and leave it just like that.
--Bob
dvzzz likes this.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thank you, just to confirm if I set them all to match up with S&M BD disk, then when I listen to the music streamed from my network location the Sub will stay matched even when I play DSF and PCM Hi Res music files. I read in this thread that when DSD files are played the Sub trim increase is needed?

Quote:
^ Once all speakers and the sub measure the same -- 75dB being the recommended target level -- then you are done. To achieve that the correct amount of sub boost must already have been applied, in your case by adjusting the volume knob on the sub itself.

The sub boost needed in your configuration -- with speakers set to Small -- is actually +15dB, but you don't need to worry about such details. Just adjust until the sub and the main speakers measure the same and leave it just like that.
--Bob
Old 09-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

For DSD files and SACD discs, set SACD Output to PCM, and the crossover processing and level trims you already have in place will remain Correct.
--Bob
dvzzz likes this.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post
Thank you, just to confirm if I set them all to match up with S&M BD disk, then when I listen to the music streamed from my network location the Sub will stay matched even when I play DSF and PCM Hi Res music files. I read in this thread that when DSD files are played the Sub trim increase is needed?
You have to set SACD output to PCM when playing SACD's or DSD audio on your 103, especially since you said you're using your 103 as a preamp to feed your power amp. The 103 has no volume control (volume is fixed at max output) when SACD Output is DSD. Setting to PCM will give you the volume control you need, in addition to what Bob mentioned above.
dvzzz likes this.

Last edited by DanF8500; 09-11-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Question for Bob, or anyone that can answer this. Will setting Max Volume to say a value of 50, limit the 103's ability of outputting Max Volume (100) if SACD Output is set to DSD while playing an SACD or DSD audio?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I use a Netgear GS608 switch, there's no setup in that that I know of. Netgear WNDR4500 router, nothing particular in the setup there other than to be sure that UPnP is enabled.
Interesting. I guess I will just have to get the 103 again and try again. No other network media device had any issues with my files over the lan though except the Oppo. I should have tried directly connecting a USB drive before sending it back to rule out other issues but I guess I can do that on the next go round...
Old 09-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
If you can't get it working with the stock ASUS firmware, try searching for Merlin's firmware for your router. He merges ASUS' core updates with more recent versions of minidlna drivers, etc. to really get the best out of ASUS routers. You basically install it just as you would if you had downloaded a firmware file from ASUS themselves, and it adds quite a bit of functionality (and fixes some of the problems that the stock firmwares tend to have). I couldn't get DLNA to work consistently until I installed Merlin's firmware on my AC-68U. Can't recommend it enough!

But ultimately, these guys are right. A NAS is far more ideal. Still, it's worth trying the DLNA on your ASUS, because you already have it. Mine's pretty solid.
I looked into Merlin's firmware, and the only "N" router it seems to apply to is the N66U. So I started looking for other third-party firmware and found one called Padavan. Was about to try it.

Then, by strange and happy coincidence, when I went to double check the settings on the stock Asus DLNA server, it wanted to install an update to the media server. It did that and immediately started working. Perhaps a router reboot and/or restore of factory settings might have accomplished the same thing. Anyway, it's working now.

I mention it now because, when I had the USB drive plugged into the 103 directly, I was able to skip chapters on my mkv video files. Now that they're running over the network via DLNA, the player will not allow me to jump chapters as before. It does allow me to fast forward though. And when I hit "Info" on the remote, it will tell me which chapter of the mkv file I'm on. Strange behavior to me - is it expected behavior or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by bkeeler10; 09-11-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:21 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
I mention it now because, when I had the USB drive plugged into the 103 directly, I was able to skip chapters on my mkv video files. Now that they're running over the network via DLNA, the player will not allow me to jump chapters as before. It does allow me to fast forward though. And when I hit "Info" on the remote, it will tell me which chapter of the mkv file I'm on. Strange behavior to me - is it expected behavior or am I doing something wrong?
It could be an issue with the DLNA server, or a bad interaction between the server and the player. DLNA is sometimes limited in it's "seeking" behavior.

Does the GOTO function on the remote allow you to jump to a chapter when playing over DLNA? I would suspect not.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 09-11-2015, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
but those limitations aside, what issues are you having with it?
--Bob
Like I said before in post #21781

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
Old 09-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Question for Bob, or anyone that can answer this. Will setting Max Volume to say a value of 50, limit the 103's ability of outputting Max Volume (100) if SACD Output is set to DSD while playing an SACD or DSD audio?
It will not. Max Volume simply limits the Volume control setting itself. But there is no Volume control on the 103/103D when playing DSD content with SACD Output set to DSD.

Similarly, setting Max Volume 50, but Volume control to FIXED, still results in a Volume of 100.
--Bob
DanF8500 likes this.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Quote:
but those limitations aside, what issues are you having with it?
--Bob
You should take your results to OPPO tech support as I don't believe they are normal. My question was to the other poster who was so frustrated with Gapless but had not explained why.
--Bob
Old 09-12-2015, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Quote:
You should take your results to OPPO tech support as I don't believe they are normal. My question was to the other poster who was so frustrated with Gapless but had not explained why.
--Bob
daffietje,

You may have missed it but there's also a dedicated Oppo BDP-103/105 Cue Files/Gapless playback support topic, which might have some useful information for you. And for anyone else with such issues...
Daffietje likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 09-13-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I asked this in the 105 threads, because I have a 105D, but I'm hoping someone here can help me with thoughts and suggestions please.

I'm interested in ripping my HUGE CD library, storing it digitally on a server or a NAS, then making it easily available to the OPPO in my HT in some organized fashion that my wife can use (read it needs to be straightforward and simple to find the song or artist you want).

I'm thinking if that library could be accessed by an iPad that would be terrific.

It must have the highest audio quality available, I'm not interested in losing audio information or detail in this process, and I'm not too wild about iTunes.

Any suggestions of sharing what you have used and found that works will be most appreciated!!

Thx!

-- Cain
Old 09-13-2015, 02:23 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I'm thinking if you want to use the Oppo, you'll have to store everything in one folder as the ipad app doesn't let you search subfolders or you'll have to go to a specific colder for each movie, song etc. if you have them organized as I do. OR you could consider an alternate player such as the NVidia shield or Roku etc. I'd hold out for the next popcorn or roku unit. While the shield does handle 4K, it currently doesn't do great with the whole 24p thing which may or may not get fixed as I haven't heard much discussion about it. You could built a HTPC player if you want perfection but that is pricey and will require fans currently. When the next microboard chipset becomes available, that will change.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Thx Boe.

For now I'm mainly interested in music only, although having video also on the server makes sense.

I have an nVidia shield, not sure about its high end audio capabilities though.

I'll look into the OPPO iPad app, but yikes, no subfolders search?? Ouch!

Never thought about the HTPC idea, that would be easy for me I've been building my own PCs and servers for 20+ years.

Any suggestions from anyone on what software you'd use on a HTPC??
Old 09-13-2015, 03:34 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 299
There is a ton of software you can use for the HTPC, hell you could even use Windows native junk. I think you should wait until the new skylake micro boards come out that have hdmi 2.0a and then you can stream 4K video without even needing a video card - reducing your needs for fans. Unfortunately most venting fanless cases I've found are ridiculously expensive. I hope that changes soon. I'm building a new 90TB storage server this year which will heavily dent my bank account but I'll probably wait till next year to build a HTPC as I store my server in a different room from my TV but the HTPC has to be silent as it will be just below the TV. I've never tried but I'm betting Plesk, Emby Media Server and Mezzmo can stream music or you could just map a drive from a HTPC and not truly "stream" it but play it through the network. I'd use gigabit wired Ethernet for flawless playback.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:01 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Any suggestions from anyone on what software you'd use on a HTPC??
See my reply to the same question you asked in the 105 thread - take a look at JRiver Media Center and their JRemote app for your iPad.
Cain likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc