post #2161 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallepaf View Post

Does "looking into possible firmware solutions" mean there is a risk that it's a hardware limitation and that it can't be fully firmware resolved?

No. Strictly software. We saw similar issues with the BDP-83 and the BDP-93. OPPO is primarily a North American company, so most of their testing is done to check the performance of NTSC media. Now that OPPO is more international, with European and Australian distribution, there is a greater priority to get PAL working properly. Expect these errors to be resolved in future firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Is this player still having the lip-sync issue when using HDMI 1 OUT to TV and HDMI 2 OUT to receiver for sounds?

This is a broad question because you will see that some people have sync issues, while others do not. At the moment if you are experiencing synching issues then you will need to address this in the AVR. There is no firmware at the moment which resolves AV sync errors.
post #2163 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Is this player still having the lip-sync issue when using HDMI 1 OUT to TV and HDMI 2 OUT to receiver for sounds?
Or did Oppo fix the lip-sync issue with the latest software patch?

Relatively few people experience any issue with synch, and it appears to be AVR specific. I use that exact same configuration and have never seen any synch problems, ever.
post #2164 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
RE: Oppo Video Settings

-1080p/24 Output - On

- DVD 24p Conversion - On

I've noticed while playing DVDs with DVD 24p Conversion set to On...

1.) the video (picture) is skippy and hesitates and is not smooth

2.) there are lip sync issues (video to sound)

3.) the picture quality is poor, i.e., looks like muddy film as opposed to sharp clear video

If set to Off ...I don't have the above issues.

My HDTV supports 1080p/24
My AVR supports and is set to1080p/24

What is the purpose of DVD 24p Conversion?

It certainly does not improve DVD picture quality and there is sync issues.

My list has some new stuff and some really, really old stuff...LOL

What I like (so far) is being able to play 2.1 / 5.1 multichannel lossless FLAC / WAV (PCM) music files from my wired NAS via the Oppo BDP-103 thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3009...nothing like listening to 96kHz / 24 bit lossless...
post #2165 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM

I would ask Oppo first before purchasing if you're planning to turn center channel off and have certain expectations about performance.....common sense goes a long way in life...

Also basic Pal issues should be handled before release and that's disappointing to hear. Oppo may be having cash flow problems??
post #2166 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Oppo may be having cash flow problems??

or better yet, they know that the not so grown up kids that we are will be miserable if they hold out on us too long! We would pester them to oblivion! We rather have the toy and play with what works while they iron out what's left. I guess I'm an early adopter kid at heart. biggrin.gif:D
post #2167 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhill View Post

-1080p/24 Output - On

3.) the picture quality is poor, i.e., looks like muddy film as opposed to sharp clear video

The problem may be with the source material. A lot of DVDs do not have the proper flags to allow a device to handle 24p conversion properly. Your problems may be more related to the DVD itself than to the Oppo. If this happens on all DVDs, then I would report it to Oppo.

post #2168 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

Also basic Pal issues should be handled before release and that's disappointing to hear.
Again, OPPO Digital Inc is a North American company. Although the player does support PAL and NTSC conversions and native outputs, the primary playback will be NTSC, with a small selection of customers and an even smaller library being PAL oriented. From OPPO Digital Inc's perspective, the player is viable for the majority of their customers. Some select customers will have some issues, but these will be resolved quickly and thoroughly.
Quote:
Oppo may be having cash flow problems??
Hubris at its finest.
post #2169 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhill View Post

-1080p/24 Output - On

See the BDP-93 FAQ; it's the same feature: Is DVD 24hz conversion supported?

-Bill
post #2170 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

Does the 103 mix the LFE channel into FL and FR for analogue stereo systems? I noticed this thread about the 83: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=110411

Was that ever fixed?

Yes it does, however I would not recommend you do that.

The reason LFE is a separate channel is to provide a place to carry *LOUD* bass. When you mix LFE into a "normal" channel you have to apply quite a bit of attenuation to keep from clipping the input of whatever's on the other end of that cable. When you then raise amp volume to get a normal listening level you are also raising the noise floor on that channel.

Keep in mind that all of the normal channels are perfectly capable of carrying bass in their mix, as low in frequency as you would care to go. Indeed, mixers have to put all critical bass into the main channels as well as they can not assume the listener will have a sub. What's special about the LFE channel is not that it carries bass, but that it carries LOUD bass.

Indeed, you will find that many studios don't put ANYTHING in the LFE channel of their SACD 5.1 tracks. They put all the bass in the main speaker channels.

Anyway, if you really want to do it, and again, I don't recommend it, set Subwoofer to OFF and LF/RF to Large in the multichannel Analog Speaker Configuration.

If you don't have a Subwoofer and would prefer to DISCARD LFE -- which is what I would recommend -- set Subwoofer to ON (even though nothing is cabled to that output ) and other speakers to Large.

NOTE: For you 105 owner's following this discussion, the Dedicated Stereo Analog Outputs on the 105, when set to Stereo Signal DOWN-MIX STEREO, *ALWAYS* discard LFE for just this reason. When set to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT they react to the multi-channel settings just as described above.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2171 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc88 View Post

I found something odd regarding the multi channel output. If I set the Centre speaker to off, there is no output to the Surround Back Left and Surround Back Right. Downmix is at 7.1 and I have Left, Right, Surround Left, Surround Right, Surround Back Left, Surround Back Right speakers and Subwoofer (but no Center speaker).

I wrote to Oppo and the reply I received:

"This is normal. The player is not able to produce audio from the Surround Back channels when the CENTER channel has been set to OFF. The player will only support 4.0 or 4.1 configurations, and not 6.0 or 6.1 configurations due to a limitation of the DSP processing."

I don't understand why the Center speaker has to be paired with Surround Back Left and Right on the Oppo. I thought the 103 has a more powerful DSP chip compared to the older models.

Any comments?

This is a long-standing restriction -- true for all of the OPPO Blu-ray players. I do not know the implementation details that lead to this.

(Of course this has no effect on HDMI Audio output.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2172 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

See the BDP-93 FAQ; it's the same feature: Is DVD 24hz conversion supported?
-Bill

Thanks Bill!

You have a lot of nice information on the 103 FAQ as well as all the rest.

Now it would be nice to see a Master List of all the current issues which people are reporting of the 103.
post #2173 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Relatively few people experience any issue with synch, and it appears to be AVR specific. I use that exact same configuration and have never seen any synch problems, ever.

With all the positive professional reviews and many awards for this player, I am a little surprise by some of the customers who have issues with this new player. Could it be that some of the customers who are having issues with the player because they are not using the player correctly? Or not following the users manually correctly or maybe they are trying to be too creative with player?
post #2174 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

With all the positive professional reviews and many awards for this player, I am a little surprise by some of the customers who have issues with this new player. Could it be that some of the customers who are having issues with the player because they are not using the player correctly? Or not following the users manually correctly or maybe they are trying to be too creative with player?

It's more that there are way too many possible combinations of hardware and usage patterns to shake a stick at. HDMI variations between AVRs and Displays for example.

Be of good cheer. This stuff gets sorted out. Same thing happened when the 93/95 launched.
--Bob

post #2175 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Liked: 10
Well, player now holding settings for 2 days, so I guess the hard drives were causing it.. but since they both got wiped not really an issue they are not connected any more.. just glad I did not have to send the oppo back!
post #2176 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 04:13 PM

Liked: 12
Question about audio out from the HDMI2 port...

I just got a 105 and have the HDMI2 hooked to a NAD M51 DAC. When the DAC is set to its HDMI input, the audio on the OPPO HDMI1 goes dead.

The audio works through the NAD but shows 48K and does not sound so good.

I have looked at the manual and do not see what might be wrong. Playing Albert Lee BD (great!), choosing stereo LPCM 96k track does not change the 48k on the DAC display.

Just hoping someone might have tried this.

I know it's a 105 but I am assuming that it's the same on a 103 and there are more of you!

Thanks for any advice...
post #2177 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

When you have the player set to Split A/V, then HDMI 1 will be effectively mute while HDMI 2 will be high resolution, high bandwidth audio.

If you have the player set to Dual Display then the player will output audio from both HDMI outputs, and will output in the frequency, resolution and number of channels based on the lowest common denominator (so a display and a receiver would result in stereo only 48KHz PCM).
post #2178 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Placed my order Wednesday night and the player showed up at my door around 1:30 PM today (helps to live in the Bay Area!!!)

I will be cascading my 83 to the bedroom (along with a Roku box) and placing the 103 in the family room system for Blu Ray and Netfix duties.

It will be a while to pull all of that off but hope not to have some of the issues seen so far.... But, Oppo always seems to come through with solutions....

Good to be an active "owner" again and be able to follow all of the topics (as I skipped the 93); I have to complement the regulars in this thread and all of the help you give the members. Really appreciate it..........
post #2179 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

It's more that there are way too many possible combinations of hardware and usage patterns to shake a stick at. HDMI variations between AVRs and Displays for example.
Be of good cheer. This stuff gets sorted out. Same thing happened when the 93/95 launched.
--Bob

Well said Bob. Even though HDMI is prolific on equipment these days, it doesn't mean that every manufacturer follows the spec properly.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #2180 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

I once had the full HDMI spec described to me as being the size, weight, readability, and compelling, dramatic impact of the Manhattan telephone directory.

Frankly, it's a wonder to me that it ever works.
--Bob

post #2181 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

I once had the full HDMI spec described to me as being the size, weight, readability, and compelling, dramatic impact of the Manhattan telephone directory.
--Bob

Too funny Bob (and scary at the same time!).

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #2182 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Blu-ray playback on HDMI output 1 via Pioneer SC-05 to the PRO-111FD Pioneer panel produces occasional slippage of audio sync (video falls behind). I'm sure this will be resolved since this hardware combination worked well on the BDP-93.
post #2183 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 PM

Liked: 11
I'm in NZ and if I buy a 103 I'm wondering whether to get one locally (BDP-103AU) or import one from the US. I read somewhere that the AU version has different firmware and that it isn't even written and updated by the same entity that does the US unit's firmware. Will I be looking at more reliable firmware support if I buy US model, or any other benefits?
Quote:

Yes it does, however I would not recommend you do that.
The reason LFE is a separate channel is to provide a place to carry *LOUD* bass. When you mix LFE into a "normal" channel you have to apply quite a bit of attenuation to keep from clipping the input of whatever's on the other end of that cable. When you then raise amp volume to get a normal listening level you are also raising the noise floor on that channel.
Keep in mind that all of the normal channels are perfectly capable of carrying bass in their mix, as low in frequency as you would care to go. Indeed, mixers have to put all critical bass into the main channels as well as they can not assume the listener will have a sub. What's special about the LFE channel is not that it carries bass, but that it carries LOUD bass.
Indeed, you will find that many studios don't put ANYTHING in the LFE channel of their SACD 5.1 tracks. They put all the bass in the main speaker channels.
Anyway, if you really want to do it, and again, I don't recommend it, set Subwoofer to OFF and LF/RF to Large in the multichannel Analog Speaker Configuration.
If you don't have a Subwoofer and would prefer to DISCARD LFE -- which is what I would recommend -- set Subwoofer to ON (even though nothing is cabled to that output ) and other speakers to Large.
NOTE: For you 105 owner's following this discussion, the Dedicated Stereo Analog Outputs on the 105, when set to Stereo Signal DOWN-MIX STEREO, *ALWAYS* discard LFE for just this reason. When set to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT they react to the multi-channel settings just as described above.
--Bob

Thank you.
post #2184 of 18013 Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

--Bob

That description fits the USB specs perfectly. HDMI must be even uglier.

post #2185 of 18013 Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboarules View Post

Well, player now holding settings for 2 days, so I guess the hard drives were causing it.. but since they both got wiped not really an issue they are not connected any more.. just glad I did not have to send the oppo back!

I would not put up with this if I were you. I have a few hard drives attached to mine and they get regular use. Almost more than actual shiny discs. Hard drives should work on the Oppo.
post #2186 of 18013 Old 11-17-2012, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Does SACD music sounds better when using HDMI connection or RCA connection (FL + FR)?

Can you tell the difference between the two?
post #2187 of 18013 Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 AM

Liked: 13
*EDIT*

It turns out my problem was due to HDMI transmitting audio to my TV... I had thought my TV speakers were set to off, but apparently they were not. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif
post #2188 of 18013 Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:

Does SACD music sounds better when using HDMI connection or RCA connection (FL + FR)?

Can you tell the difference between the two?

You need to listen to it and decide for yourself.

If the various encoding, decoding, processing and DAC electronics are properly designed and doing their jobs right, you should not be able to hear any differences between HDMI and analog connections.

Some electronics don't do their jobs right, or not well enough.

Some people hear differences even when there are no measurable differences.

There have been many discussions on AVS about this topic, with nobody leaving the discussions happy.

Selden
post #2189 of 18013 Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 AM

Liked: 10
I am a little surprised to obtain a better picture when using HDMI out #2 through the amplifier (Harman Kardon AVR 3600) and sent to the TV (Sony KDL52XBR4), compared to HDMI #1 directly to the TV. HDMI #1 produces a grainier picture and more artifacts. This is with standard DVD (not Blu-Ray).

Note: With my equipment, analog connections sounds better for SACD.
post #2190 of 18013 Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 AM

RE: DVD 24p Conversion

Seems as though many of my concert DVDs have the issues, not regular studio film DVDs, those DVDs seem to play just fine with 24p Conversion set to On.

You can tell quite quickly which DVDs have the 24p layer or not, e.g., picture quality, judder and sync.

My list has some new stuff and some really, really old stuff...LOL

What I like (so far) is being able to play 2.1 / 5.1 multichannel lossless FLAC / WAV (PCM) music files from my wired NAS via the Oppo BDP-103 thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3009...nothing like listening to 96kHz / 24 bit lossless...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page