Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 733 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 624Likes

Old 10-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
I have it set up that way and it works just fine. I have two Darblets so I did not feel it was necessary to buy the 103D.
Ok, next question would be any benefit in regards to picture quality to get a 103 vs. just using my Xbox One?

For sound, I'm routing it to my Marantz AVR for processing so I don't think the 103 would be advantageous, but just wondering if the pq would significantly improve over an Xbox One for blu ray playback (don't watch DVDs at all anymore) and also for streaming mkv (as I currently use Roku 3 with Plex).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My Oppo is the best MKV player I have. You get DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD if your MKV have it of course.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone use the 4k upconversion ? What results have you noticed ? Does it work well with different sources ? I just bought a 65 js8500 and wanted to know of any special settings to try for the 4k data.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 20
just wondering how people with projectors are hooking up the 103. are you going straight to projector- or going to receiver and the receiver to projector. HDMI cable will be 30-40ft. not sure that makes a difference since the cable will have red mere.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I use both outputs. Split A/V mode allows you to send video out of HDMI 1 directly to your projector/monitor and send audio out of HDMI 2 to your receiver/processor.

That way, you avoid your receiver doing anything to the video signal along the way. Sometimes, even pass-thru mode can impact your video signal.

Worth noting, however, that HDMI 1 uses a Marvell QDEO video processor. HDMI 2 does not. So if you don't want the Oppo to do any video processing either, you can consider using HDMI2. However, you wont be able to (I don't believe) upscale to 4k on HDMI2.

it will all come down to personal preference. You'll need to experiment.

I have a 25' Redmere HDMI going from my Oppo directly to my projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
just wondering how people with projectors are hooking up the 103. are you going straight to projector- or going to receiver and the receiver to projector. HDMI cable will be 30-40ft. not sure that makes a difference since the cable will have red mere.

Media Room: Epson 5030 / Pioneer VSX-822 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
House Audio: Onkyo NR-709 & Monoprice in-wall speakers
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC:Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850

Last edited by ckronengold; 10-08-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post
Another point of consideration: If you purchase a BDP-103 new (or refurbished direct from Oppo), it comes with a 2 year warranty. I had to use their warranty service once on my BDP-93 because when about 8 months after owning it, I finally tried to hook up my RF remote system to the IR Input port on the back, and it didn't work. The process was smooth - they paid shipping both ways, and it was only a couple days turnaround.

And, regarding playable discs, I regulary rent from Netflix and have never had an issue that wasn't due to a visibly damaged disc. Also, look at their first player as a longevity example: The player was released in early 2009. When X-Men Days of Future Past was released in Oct 2014 (almost 6 years later), it wouldn't play in the 83. So Oppo released a firmware update that fixed it a month later - and they probably had a beta firmware sooner people could download to play it.
Thanks for the feedback. I will add the player to my 'buy' list
Old 10-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
I use both outputs. Split A/V mode allows you to send video out of HDMI 1 directly to your projector/monitor and send audio out of HDMI 2 to your receiver/processor.

That way, you avoid your receiver doing anything to the video signal along the way. Sometimes, even pass-thru mode can impact your video signal.

Worth noting, however, that HDMI 1 uses a Marvell QDEO video processor. HDMI 2 does not. So if you don't want the Oppo to do any video processing either, you can consider using HDMI2. However, you wont be able to (I don't believe) upscale to 4k on HDMI2.

it will all come down to personal preference. You'll need to experiment.

I have a 25' Redmere HDMI going from my Oppo directly to my projector.
thanks for the info. your right, will have to experiment when the times come. I usually go from player right to TV, but wasn't sure about throwing a projector in the mix from a much longer distance.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
thanks for the info. your right, will have to experiment when the times come. I usually go from player right to TV, but wasn't sure about throwing a projector in the mix from a much longer distance.
really boils down to what your main consideration is.

if your question is about distance, you can try a redmere or other active cable. redmere isn't that much more money than a standard cable, so IMHO, its a worthwhile experiment.

if your question is about how the image looks out of HDMI 1 vs HDMI 2, or which components you want to handle the video processing, thats definitely a preference question.

both my receiver and the Oppo had QDEO in them, so I only needed one to handle any image processing. When I switched receivers, I switched inputs on the Oppo to maintain the image quality I had. (Sadly downgraded receivers in my media room in order to have 2-zone audio upstairs. Damn wife.)

Old 10-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
really boils down to what your main consideration is.

if your question is about distance, you can try a redmere or other active cable. redmere isn't that much more money than a standard cable, so IMHO, its a worthwhile experiment.

if your question is about how the image looks out of HDMI 1 vs HDMI 2, or which components you want to handle the video processing, thats definitely a preference question.

both my receiver and the Oppo had QDEO in them, so I only needed one to handle any image processing. When I switched receivers, I switched inputs on the Oppo to maintain the image quality I had. (Sadly downgraded receivers in my media room in order to have 2-zone audio upstairs. Damn wife.)
well about both actually. usually not a problem when going from player to receiver and then receiver to tv. the distances are much shorter. but with projector setup I am now talking 30-40ft lengthwise. and if I go into receiver and then to projector another cable is now in the mix. but as you said with two outputs I could go straight to projector with the video part of it. just trying to avoid any hicups or handshake issues along the chain of cables. I have never owned a projector before so not sure how much more ( if any) they are to this than a Tv would be.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
but with projector setup I am now talking 30-40ft lengthwise. and if I go into receiver and then to projector another cable is now in the mix. but as you said with two outputs I could go straight to projector with the video part of it. just trying to avoid any hicups or handshake issues along the chain of cables. I have never owned a projector before so not sure how much more ( if any) they are to this than a Tv would be.
I'm enjoying my first projector, too. And the bottom line is that there's nothing more than with a TV.

Cable for the image. Calibrate. Enjoy.

Given what you've described, I'd run a standard cable to your receiver and buy a Redmere for the long run directly to the projector. I use the Cabernet, and a 40' is $45. Their "Select Active" redmere is $40 for 40'. So really a toss-up, price-wise.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10255

Old 10-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm enjoying my first projector, too. And the bottom line is that there's nothing more than with a TV.

Cable for the image. Calibrate. Enjoy.

Given what you've described, I'd run a standard cable to your receiver and buy a Redmere for the long run directly to the projector. I use the Cabernet, and a 40' is $45. Their "Select Active" redmere is $40 for 40'. So really a toss-up, price-wise.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10255
good to know, sounds easy enough. The room isn't ready yet for the projector. infact I haven't even took the projector out of the box yet, I'm intimidated for sure. Yes I will be picking up a few redeemer cables and run them through conduit just to have a spare on hand incase one fails.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 109
As many of you YouTuber's have known for a while, most of the HD and 4K videos on YT are encoded using google's open source VP9 codec (Google owns YT). The Oppo players(103/105) cannot play this newer format that has been around for more than 2 years now. Anyone knows if Oppo will support it in a latter release?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Old 10-10-2015, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
As many of you YouTuber's have known for a while, most of the HD and 4K videos on YT are encoded using google's open source VP9 codec (Google owns YT). The Oppo players(103/105) cannot play this newer format that has been around for more than 2 years now. Anyone knows if Oppo will support it in a latter release?
Support for VP9 (at any resolution) will require an entirely new AV hardware decoding chip-set. It can't be achieved with software alone!

Perhaps support for VP9 will be included when Oppo launch their new playback devices. But such discussions are for another topic

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 10-10-2015, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 109
But the VLC program(from Videolan.org) on my 7+ year old Dell laptop can play it fine with an anaemic graphic chipset and slower 2GHz dual CPU. The Oppo's use faster and more efficient ARM based processors so they could do a SW only decode.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Old 10-11-2015, 07:54 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
But the VLC program(from Videolan.org) on my 7+ year old Dell laptop can play it fine with an anaemic graphic chipset and slower 2GHz dual CPU. The Oppo's use faster and more efficient ARM based processors so they could do a SW only decode.
It's not going to happen. Just the architecture alone would mean MAJOR development work to support it, if it's even possible to do the decoding outside of the SOC (where all decoding currently happens). The other issue is that there's no support for input resolutions higher than 1080p anywhere in the processing chain and there's no getting around that without hardware changes.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 2777 Post(s)
Liked: 2513
My player says I have the latest firmware. But I can't access tidal. Any info?
Old 10-11-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Tidal is accessed from the mobile app.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 2777 Post(s)
Liked: 2513
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Tidal is accessed from the mobile app.
Gotcha.

Ok I see it and loaded it. But it won't play. I hit play and nothing happens :/
Old 10-12-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
So which version number do you actually have?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 10-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Gotcha.

Ok I see it and loaded it. But it won't play. I hit play and nothing happens :/
To use Tidal you need both the Public Beta (0711B) version of the firmware recently released, and the newest version of the MediaControl app:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...3-Support.aspx

The Firmware Check in the player only checks that you have the latest "Official" release of the firmware installed. It will not tell you there is a more recent, Public Beta, version available.

The Public Beta firmware can not be installed via the Network (to reduce the odds people will install it without knowing it is Beta). Instead, you must download the Beta firmware version for USB install to your computer, and then onto a USB stick, and install it that way in the player. Detailed instructions are shown on that OPPO support page. It's quick and easy.

You will, of course, also need an account with Tidal. You set that up on Tidal's web site.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Does anyone know the easiest way to rip a 3d blu ray to an external drive and play it back on the bdp 103? Apparently makemkv does not play back the 3d track.
ellisr63 likes this.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Does anyone know the easiest way to rip a 3d blu ray to an external drive and play it back on the bdp 103? Apparently makemkv does not play back the 3d track.
I use DVDFab for my BRs, and save them as a mkv file.

Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, Xilica XP-4080 crossover, (2pr) JBL 8340As,  (2pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox360, (2) Intel NUCs, Monoprice12 gauge speaker wire and XLR cables, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster HTPS7000, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 195" diagonal scope screen, Panamorph UH-480, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, Yamaha MX-A5000, MiniDSP DDRC-88A, and an Oppo 103.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
Old 10-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I use DVDFab for my BRs, and save them as a mkv file.
Makemkv does save the 3D track, it is the Oppo that does not support frame-packed 3D in mkv. So any program you use to save in mkv will not work. Unfortunately, I can't help you with what format does work, as I've never tried anything else - hopefully someone else knows.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Since my avr, an Onkyo 809, has the Marvell QDEO chip, is the Kyoto-G2H in the OPPO a significant improvement?

Thanks!

Last edited by ltd76gold; 10-15-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 38
4K oppo

Hi folks, sorry if this has been covered...any rumours on Oppo 4K release date? Thanks
Old 10-15-2015, 11:04 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Hi folks, sorry if this has been covered...any rumours on Oppo 4K release date? Thanks
No. OPPO has said not this year and maybe not next year.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 10-15-2015, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Question for the group, sorry if its been answered. I haven't updated my firmware cause I use the AVCHD directory structure religiously to play movies from my HTPC to the Oppo. Basically it treats the AVCHD directory as an actual disk when playing. If i'm reading the change log right, it looks like they removed this feature? (I assume due to some licensing issue)

If they did remove it, im never updating
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
My Oppo is the best MKV player I have. You get DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD if your MKV have it of course.
The playback is excellent and reliable, I just wish it could stream 4K. I'm hoping they come out with either an improved MKV player interface on their next unit or just a dedicated media player soon. I'm currently playing around with Kodi on a second PC - wondering if I should just build a HTPC.

Is Oppo going to be at CES in January?

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Question for the group, sorry if its been answered. I haven't updated my firmware cause I use the AVCHD directory structure religiously to play movies from my HTPC to the Oppo. Basically it treats the AVCHD directory as an actual disk when playing. If i'm reading the change log right, it looks like they removed this feature? (I assume due to some licensing issue)

Old 10-15-2015, 12:13 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1612 View Post

I tried a test directory and it did not work over SMB.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc