Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 742 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 890Likes

post #22231 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Picasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Release date: November 6, 2015
15. Removed the Picasa application from Home Menu.
Actually we really liked having that app and used it as recently as this week. Is there a way to access it from the home menu, or was the app completely removed from the 103?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22232 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I can easily see the name "Deep Color" misinterpreted as some increased level or range of color (redder reds for example), rather than just providing more intermediate steps between the existing 8-bit per channel chroma and luma levels.
I definately agree with you on the name there.

Quote:
I believe (but am not certain) that all color upsampling (4:2:0 to 4:2:2 or 4:4:4) is handled by the MediaTek SOC rather than the Marvell QDEO.
Yeah, I guess it's an open question whether or not the MediaTek uses 12 bit when deep color is on or not.

From the QDEO technology brief (and the image with it), it sounds like they actually modifying the output pixels in some way - that if neighboring pixels are close in value, they are actually blurring them somewhat, while if they are far apart in value, they are not.

Quote:
I've gotten conflicting info on whether my display is 36-bit capable, and I can't positively identify any difference between sending it 30 or 36-bit from the Oppo.
Same here - there is so much processing in the display itself, it is almost a moot point. Unless the display only uses extra bit-depth in processing when it receives higher resolution input. For myself, I couldn't see a difference between 24 bit and 30/36, so I left it at the lower bandwidth option. But my display is calibrated - it has offset and gain adjustments for red, green, blue, as well as gamma adjustments for each. So after all that processing, it doesn't seem to make a difference what the input bit depth is, probably because the display uses extra bit-depth in processing no matter what the input.

As a side note, practically all LCD panels and other displays in the consumer market pre-HDR are 8 bit (or less), so the final output is only 8 bit. I think that is changing with new HDR displays, though.
post #22233 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
The color space should not have any effect on it. Deep Color is really a poor name. All the Deep Color setting does is make the 8-bit per channel video data from a DVD or Blu-ray disc into 10 or 12 bit per channel video without any change to the data values. It's similar to adding zeros after the decimal point on a number. The higher bit depth of the Deep Color setting allows intermediate luma and chroma values to be calculated by a processor (such as the QDEO) (just like using extra digits behind the decimal point allows intermediate values between integers), but it does not itself change the values of the original 8-bit per channel data.
Thanks again, KC...I appreciate the info.

LCD is the MP3 of the TV world

post #22234 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I can easily see the name "Deep Color" misinterpreted as some increased level or range of color (redder reds for example), rather than just providing more intermediate steps between the existing 8-bit per channel chroma and luma levels.
This is how I've always interpreted Deep Color...thanks for the clarification.

LCD is the MP3 of the TV world
post #22235 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Did you create a Tidal account on their web site? That's the first step, and where the trial code would be used if that Promo is still active.

Then you use the same login credentials in the Tidal portion of the MediaControl app.
--Bob
Thanks Bob I'll try that later. I thought when it said click here to register with voucher code it would take me to the site to register.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #22236 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodChester View Post
Anyone here update there firmware that has a region free mod installed? I have mine internally and was wondering if I should open up my player and disconnect the mod before doing the update or if it is ok to leave it plugged in and do the update.
I upgraded my firmware today when I fired up the player and saw the new firmware notification. As in the past, I unplugged my external mod kit before doing the update. Unfortunately, after the firmware update, my region-free mod no longer works. I guess it is well within Oppo's right to tweak their firmware so it does not support region-free mod kits, but I wish there was some mention of it (or warning) in their patch notes, especially since it has not been a problem in the past after updating their firmware.

The prior firmware worked like a champ. I blame myself for opting to update it. Since there is now no way to go back to the previous version, and Oppo doesn't sell a consumer region-free player in the U.S., I'm out $300-$400 for the numerous Region 2 Blu-ray discs I can no longer play.

The only (albeit small) saving grace is that I had some friends over last night to watch The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet in 3D. Everyone loved it, and I guess I got to see it for one last time.
post #22237 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post
Unfortunately, after the firmware update, my region-free mod no longer works. I guess it is well within Oppo's right to tweak their firmware so it does not support region-free mod kits, but I wish there was some mention of it (or warning) in their patch notes, especially since it has not been a problem in the past after updating their firmware...
Out of interest. Which region-free mod-kit do you have?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #22238 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Out of interest. Which region-free mod-kit do you have?
The BJ Unlimited external mod kit. I have an Oppo BDP-103 player.
post #22239 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 627
I'm quite sure that Oppo did not "tweak their firmware so it does not support region-free mod kits".
More than likely, something else has happened, like perhaps something was damaged removing and re-installing the kit,
or perhaps you could try resetting the player to factory default settings before the kit will work again.
I have already seen others state that the current new firmware works fine with their region-free-modded players,
but there are also several different ways and different kits for doing the modding, so success with one may not mean success with all.
post #22240 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 309
I updated my firmware last night, and my (external) region-free mod still works

FYI I bought mine off eBay.
post #22241 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post
I upgraded my firmware today when I fired up the player and saw the new firmware notification. As in the past, I unplugged my external mod kit before doing the update. Unfortunately, after the firmware update, my region-free mod no longer works. I guess it is well within Oppo's right to tweak their firmware so it does not support region-free mod kits, but I wish there was some mention of it (or warning) in their patch notes, especially since it has not been a problem in the past after updating their firmware.

The prior firmware worked like a champ. I blame myself for opting to update it. Since there is now no way to go back to the previous version, and Oppo doesn't sell a consumer region-free player in the U.S., I'm out $300-$400 for the numerous Region 2 Blu-ray discs I can no longer play.

The only (albeit small) saving grace is that I had some friends over last night to watch The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet in 3D. Everyone loved it, and I guess I got to see it for one last time.
Check with the people who sold you the external mod.

OPPO doesn't give a hoot that people use Region Free kits, and certainly doesn't do anything intentional to break them, but they also can't test all the kits out there to make sure new firmware DOESN'T break them.

That said, the kits out there now have survived many firmware updates already, so odds are yours is not broken. But you may need to re-install the player firmware following some special order of steps either before or after the install as regards re-enabling the mod. The people who sold you the mod should be able to advise you.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #22242 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 03:31 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions. I am happy to report that everything is back to normal.

I removed the mod kit and did a factory reset, then, after powering down and back up to make sure all was well, I turned off the player and reconnected the external mod kit. Upon entering the region switch code on the remote. I powered down (as per the mod kit instructions), turned the player back on and put in the 3D T.S. Spivet disc I viewed last night. It was still a no-go. I got the wrong region code error message. On a whim, without making any additional changes, I ejected the 3D disc and popped in the 2D disc. It started right up. I ejected the disc and powered down. Then, I unplugged the player and let it sit for several minutes. When I plugged it back in and powered up, I inserted the 3D Spivet and it loaded right up.

I tried 3-4 Arrow region 2 discs and they loaded and played just fine. I switched back to region 1, then region 2, and then back to region 1. Like I say everything is working just like it always did.

I have no idea whether unplugging the power cord possibly did something, or if it is just coincidence, but I am relieved and happy at the outcome.

Thanks to all who replied to my previous post, if not for your suggestions, I would have just set the mod kit aside for good and chalked it up to a sketchy eBay purchase.
post #22243 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Something I have learned with a region-free mod is that the region change code sequence will not work if you have a disc in the player and when you power you get the resume from last position when you go through the region selection and power down/up sequence. Be sure that any disc that failed to load because of region incompatibility is removed and that on power up you don't get any messages about resuming a disc. Apparently the Oppo gets confused about what region it is really in. The best thing to do is always make a region change with no disc in the player, after having also done a disc stop step, if needed.

post #22244 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Resume Play likely took you to the Wrong Region error message from when it failed before. I.e., that was its last location of playback when you removed the disc.

(And since the error can play even if the player is set to the wrong region, there's no new check for correct Region.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #22245 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
^ Resume Play likely took you to the Wrong Region error message from when it failed before. I.e., that was its last location of playback when you removed the disc.

(And since the error can play even if the player is set to the wrong region, there's no new check for correct Region.)
--Bob
Bob, I think that's precisely what happened. Thanks for your explanation and the help. AVS Forum is a real godsend! :-)
post #22246 of 24616 Old 11-07-2015, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is anyone using the bluraychip.dk region free mod and tried the update? Keen for this new fw! The Netflix smear was killing me.
post #22247 of 24616 Old 11-08-2015, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I have a strange problem with my player:
Today I wanted to try to feed my projector - an Epson EH-LS10000 - 4K signal from my Oppo, and everything looked really fine BUT the sound disappeared when I played blu-ray discs. I have sound when I play the sources that are connected to both HDMI inputs, but from Blu-ray discs - none! When I change back the resolution to 1080p or Auto, the sound is back. Has anyone of you guys experienced this, and if so - is there a solution?

/Spygg
post #22248 of 24616 Old 11-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spygg View Post
I have a strange problem with my player:
Today I wanted to try to feed my projector - an Epson EH-LS10000 - 4K signal from my Oppo, and everything looked really fine BUT the sound disappeared when I played blu-ray discs. I have sound when I play the sources that are connected to both HDMI inputs, but from Blu-ray discs - none! When I change back the resolution to 1080p or Auto, the sound is back. Has anyone of you guys experienced this, and if so - is there a solution?
4K output from your 103 is only for film sources, such as the 1080p/24 on Blu-ray film discs. The output is 4K/24.

If you play 1080i/60 or 1080p/60 content -- as is likely what is coming in on the HDMI Inputs -- you get 1080p/60 output because the hardware in your 103 is not capable of 4K/60 output.

So the difference is that you are only getting 4K output when you play the Blu-ray discs.

NOW, the question is what are you doing for audio connection? Since the problem, here, is likely that whatever you are connected to for audio can't handle 4K -- even just 4K/24 -- input.

If you have HDMI 1 going direct to the projector for video and HDMI 2 going to your AVR for audio, set Split A/V, and also set 4K Output to AUTO (not FORCED). When you play Blu-ray discs the 4K/24 will go out HDMI 1 to your projector (with muted audio) and HDMI 2 will carry a "safe" HD resolution to your AVR which will also carry the audio.
--Bob

post #22249 of 24616 Old 11-08-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
When I stream an mkv file by connecting directly to myNAS the playback is choppy during high action scenes

However, if I connect to my Plex Media Server it's smooth.

I'd like to eliminate having to use my Plex.

Any way to fix this or is this just the way it is?

Probably should mention network is Ethernet over powerline.

I have the opposite problem. Simple dlna server, twonky, streams fine to my oppo, but plex does not.

I have enabled plex's dlna function. How did you get yours to work? I don't need the plex interface or front end, just content.

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #22250 of 24616 Old 11-08-2015, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
I have the opposite problem. Simple dlna server, twonky, streams fine to my oppo, but plex does not.

I have enabled plex's dlna function. How did you get yours to work? I don't need the plex interface or front end, just content.
I ran Ethernet to my oppo and now play direct from my NAS. Flawless.
post #22251 of 24616 Old 11-08-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
I ran Ethernet to my oppo and now play direct from my NAS. Flawless.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do.

But I would love to not need to run multiple dlna servers on my NAS, so if I can get the DLNA part of plex working (like the OP has done) that would be ideal. I could then shut down twonky. Once less piece of software on the NAS to update, maintain, and hog resources.

But I realize this is off topic. I'll take it to the media streamers discussion.

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #22252 of 24616 Old 11-08-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

New Owner

Guys

Just hooked up my new 103. Really wanted netflix in 1080P and a network streamer too.

Coming from a Pio BDP-51 which was bought at the time for it's outstanding DAC's for analog audio. Are the Oppos as good?

The picture looks amazing but almost too vivid and contrasty. I have a calibrated Kuro 9G FD-101.

Is there a difference in PQ between HDMI 1&2?

I had trouble playing a few MKV files last night that play fine on my WDTV Live +. Any issue?

I'm running the latest (pre 11-06) FW. Any major reason to upgrade?

I have to say Netflix in 1080P was amazing. Worth the switch by itself!

thx

bob
post #22253 of 24616 Old 11-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Definitely upgrade the firmware.

Check your video calibration with a calibration disc, such as Spears & Munsil available from the OPPO web site. If you spot any significant errors it could simply be that you have not correctly copied your "calibrated" settings to the input you are feeding from the OPPO.
--Bob

post #22254 of 24616 Old 11-08-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ Definitely upgrade the firmware.

Check your video calibration with a calibration disc, such as Spears & Munsil available from the OPPO web site. If you spot any significant errors it could simply be that you have not correctly copied your "calibrated" settings to the input you are feeding from the OPPO.
--Bob
Could it be the processing from HDMI 1 that I am seeing?

Can I run HDMI 1&2 simultaneously to 2 inputs on my Plasma?

thx

bob
post #22255 of 24616 Old 11-08-2015, 11:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ No (unless you've futzed with the Picture Adjustment settings in the player).

And Yes.
--Bob
post #22256 of 24616 Old 11-09-2015, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
The picture looks amazing but almost too vivid and contrasty. I have a calibrated Kuro 9G FD-101.

Is there a difference in PQ between HDMI 1&2?

It's not a 103D (Darbee edition) is it?

Differences were discussed recently, should not be drastic.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #22257 of 24616 Old 11-09-2015, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
It's not a 103D (Darbee edition) is it?

Differences were discussed recently, should not be drastic.
Not a D model. I'm running HDMI 1&2 and A/B ing. The marvel (sp) processing is growing on me.

bob
post #22258 of 24616 Old 11-09-2015, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Why is there no new official firmware for the 103EU?
When will it be available?

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #22259 of 24616 Old 11-09-2015, 11:26 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post
Why is there no new official firmware for the 103EU?
When will it be available?
There's almost always a delay between the USA firmware coming out and the firmware updates for other countries, but it usually doesn't take too long. The differences between the regions isn't always just setting a different region code, but might involve things like testing a slightly different mix of apps (such as Netflix). Your local distributor would probably be the best source for a more specific release date.
Daffietje likes this.
post #22260 of 24616 Old 11-09-2015, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pandora Screensaver

I can't get Pandora to go into screen saver mode. I have to take care of my beloved Kuro

bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page