Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 746 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 749Likes

post #22351 of 23880 Old 11-20-2015, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I run the 103 to my AVP, and then the Darcet from my AVP to the projector. If you use the 103d you can only use the Darcet with the Oppo. No need to get the 103D unless you specifically only want the 103 to have the Darcet feature IMO.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking.
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22352 of 23880 Old 11-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post
And if you're watching the Oppo, which is not going thru the AVR, you won't see the volume on the tv screen, even if you use your harmony remote or any other remote, even if you turn the dial, it's impossible.

You're correct and that is true for Oppo. But not for the rest of the components which are connected to your AVR. Again, that depends on the user. I don't mind not seeing the volume level while some like to see it.
I turn up or down the volume based on what I hear, so you're correct that it is not possible to see the volume control while playing Oppo, but you can still use the control without display.

But that is changing too. If you have a Classe Sigma SSP (Surround Processor), one you stary playing a bluray on Oppo, you won need to use a Harmony remote anymore. If you have an iPhone or a Samsung cell phone (Android version is still in work), you can control the volume via your cell phone which has a display.

Last edited by sharok; 11-20-2015 at 02:32 PM.
post #22353 of 23880 Old 11-20-2015, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
You're correct and that is true for Oppo
Great. The original comment was regarding disadvantages/advantages of running Oppo direct to TV, and one disadvantage is you won't have yoru AVR's OSD if you go Oppo direct to TV. It seemed like you were implying you wouldn't have this OSD issue somehow if you use harmony remote. Which makes no sense. Of course anyone can look at the AVR directly or whatever else. But that has nothing to do with the on-screen-display, if you're oppo is connected direct to TV, you won't get your AVRs OSD when the Oppo is on the screen.
post #22354 of 23880 Old 11-20-2015, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Great. The original comment was regarding disadvantages/advantages of running Oppo direct to TV, and one disadvantage is you won't have yoru AVR's OSD if you go Oppo direct to TV. It seemed like you were implying you wouldn't have this OSD issue somehow if you use harmony remote. Which makes no sense. Of course anyone can look at the AVR directly or whatever else. But that has nothing to do with the on-screen-display, if you're oppo is connected direct to TV, you won't get your AVRs OSD when the Oppo is on the screen.
Sorry, some how I got deep into the OSD stuff and I misunderstood your post. But you're right, since the Oppo Video is not passing through the AVR, you wont see the volume control for Oppo on your TV.
post #22355 of 23880 Old 11-20-2015, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, some how I got deep into the OSD stuff and I misunderstood your post. But you're right, since the Oppo Video is not passing through the AVR, you wont see the volume control for Oppo on your TV.
The OPPO's volume setting will be displayed on its own display.
post #22356 of 23880 Old 11-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Yes, but only if you use the Oppo's volume control and not the AVR's. If you use AVR to control the audio coming out of Oppo (HDMI 2 Out), then there is no way to see the AVR volume control on the screen if Oppo Video out is connected directly to the TV.

I may purchase a Classe Sigma SSP in a near future. One of its many nice features is that one I start any device using a Harmony remote, I can control the volume with my iPhone so I can see the volume level on my phone. This is not an important feature for me, but it is there.
post #22357 of 23880 Old 11-20-2015, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Is this team up against GSR day? I'm sure his experience with Oppo players far exceeds the combined experience of all three of you guys put together. He's trying to help you guys out, by making a logical recommendation based on his vast knowledge base regarding these players. He's not telling you guys to "never" use the Oppo's 2 hdmi outputs at the same time. He's saying if you don't have a pressing need to use both hdmi outputs, then don't use them simultaneously. Even the 103 manual states (did anyone read that?) to first use just one of the player's hdmi outputs, if possible. On another page, the manual states the alternate method (2 hdmi outputs) for the very situation GSR previously stated: if your AVR can't pass 3D video. If you feel you will see a higher video performance/clarity/color/etc by bypassing your AVR (Oppo direct to tv), that is probably a placebo effect. After all, we are talking about a digital signal...not analog. The video from your Oppo player either gets to your tv or it doesn't. As long as your AVR doesn't modify video(set for video pass-thru), you have nothing to worry about. The digital video signal will pass thru the AVR just fine. For DSD audio, if you have a pressing need to send DSD out your 103 (instead of LPCM) to be converted by your AVR/prepro, then obviously you'll need to use Your 103's hdmi 2 output.

The use of both the 103's hdmi outputs simultaneously doesn't always result in the "best" audio/video experience. Predominantly, either setup will produce the "same" visual and audio experience to the human eye/ears.

Or team up with GSR day??......LOL.........

YOU may have decided that GSR is an OPPO God whose word is gospel and that's great .

Thanks for the putdown too.......Maybe the other posters and I know as much as YOU and GSR put together??

Or is that honour only reserved for posters in agreeance with your philosophies......

Err......pretty certain everyone here can read too so no need to take us through GSR's post again..........I know I understood it fine.

Just relax a bit buddy...........why so worked up over something so trivial?

It's public forum and EVERYBODY gets to post..........ALL the info is beneficial and NO ONE was "ganging up" on ANYONE.

Maybe our posts helped some one too.........WOW.......I'm a junior GSR!!!!

BTW ......If GSR has an issue HE can mention it........are you his publicist or agent or something?

Oh yeah........I STILL think my points are valid and I STILL respectfully disagree with GSR's post.

And..........as far as OPPO Gods go ........my money's on Bob Pariseau!!!

Cheers

Last edited by linger63; 11-20-2015 at 09:13 PM.
post #22358 of 23880 Old 11-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
Or team up with GSR day??......LOL.........

YOU may have decided that GSR is an OPPO God whose word is gospel and that's great .

Thanks for the putdown too.......Maybe the other posters and I know as much as YOU and GSR put together??

Or is that honour only reserved for posters in agreeance with your philosophies......

Err......pretty certain everyone here can read too so no need to take us through GSR's post again..........I know I understood it fine.

Just relax a bit buddy...........why so worked up over something so trivial?

It's public forum and EVERYBODY gets to post..........ALL the info is beneficial and NO ONE was "ganging up" on ANYONE.

Maybe our posts helped some one too.........WOW.......I'm a junior GSR!!!!

BTW ......If GSR has an issue HE can mention it........are you his publicist or agent or something?

Oh yeah........I STILL think my points are valid and I STILL respectfully disagree with GSR's post.

And..........as far as OPPO Gods go ........my money's on Bob Pariseau!!!

Cheers
+1
I believe that you can get the best picture quality when the connection is from the source to display, nothing can be better than "nothing in between".

but I respect Oppo Gods' opinions.
linger63 likes this.
post #22359 of 23880 Old 11-20-2015, 09:57 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
* rumble of thunder *

Hmmm? Wha? Oh! People looking in my direction!

Ahem. One of the nice things about the OPPO players is that there are lots of perfectly acceptable ways to use them. Try them all if you'd like, and pick your favorite. You are bound to learn some stuff along the way. And it's your player, so you get to use it however you choose!

But if you are looking for a RECOMMENDATION, I agree with GSR, RDGRIMES, and DANF8500: Keep things simple and use a single HDMI output from the OPPO player unless your AVR can't pass the type of video you are trying to get to your Display (e.g., 3D or 4K or 1080p/24). And be sure to check the resulting video with a calibration disc to make sure there isn't some silly settings error screwing things up.

Be aware that MOST of the time, problems with video turn out to be due to settings errors -- or factory installed bugs -- in the DISPLAY itself, not some sort of problem in getting the video through the AVR unmolested. I'm not saying an AVR can't screw things up. Sure it can. But the odds are vastly in favor of the Display being the guilty party.

For example, factory default settings in AVRs are almost always correct for getting good video through the AVR. But factory default settings in Displays are almost always WRONG for best quality video.
--Bob
gsr, Rob-Houston, linger63 and 1 others like this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #22360 of 23880 Old 11-20-2015, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Team Bob Pariseau, rdgrimes, GSR, DanF8500 wins!!
linger63 likes this.
post #22361 of 23880 Old 11-20-2015, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Thanks for nothing Bob!!!

I'll be back.......just you wait and see..........and I'll..........(trails off into the distance grumbling)
DanF8500 likes this.
post #22362 of 23880 Old 11-20-2015, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
"Honey, did you hear that strange noise outside?"
"Oh, it's nothing to be alarmed about, Dear." "It's just linger63 re-routing his home entertainment hdmi cable connections."
"Why is he doing that?"
"I don't know." "He really doesn't have to, if he's happy with his current setup".
"Go back to bed, Dear."
"Goodnight."
linger63 likes this.
post #22363 of 23880 Old 11-21-2015, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
* rumble of thunder *

Hmmm? Wha? Oh! People looking in my direction!

Ahem. ...

But if you are looking for a RECOMMENDATION, I agree with GSR, RDGRIMES, and DANF8500: Keep things simple and use a single HDMI output from the OPPO player unless your AVR can't pass the type of video you are trying to get to your Display (e.g., 3D or 4K or 1080p/24). ...
--Bob
12:57 AM! GODDAA never sleeps!?

I've found the OPPO to be the best HDMI splitter I have! I've tried several HDMI splitters from Monoprice and elsewhere. They all have proved problematic with intermittent problems. I have an odd setup with an older 720p projector with an IRIS and very acceptable blacks and a 3d plasma. Running the projector from HDMI2 and the plasma from HDMI1 through my receiver has solved all of my problems. I can watch either or both displays with no problem.

The problem I have with the OPPO is intermittent freezes. I've tried every button on the remote and faceplate with no response. The only solution has been to unplug the unit.

Before I upgraded the new firmware, I tested a few things. I tested Picassa and the Youtube problem. After the upgrade Picassa was gone and Tidal appeared. Check. Tried Youtube and it returns to home. Check. So far no freezes! Check?

THANKS BE TO GODDAA!!

And everyone have a great Thanksgiving!
post #22364 of 23880 Old 11-21-2015, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Yes, but only if you use the Oppo's volume control and not the AVR's. If you use AVR to control the audio coming out of Oppo (HDMI 2 Out), then there is no way to see the AVR volume control on the screen if Oppo Video out is connected directly to the TV.

I may purchase a Classe Sigma SSP in a near future. One of its many nice features is that one I start any device using a Harmony remote, I can control the volume with my iPhone so I can see the volume level on my phone. This is not an important feature for me, but it is there.
If you use the AVR's volume control, the OPPO's volume will be set to max, anyway.
post #22365 of 23880 Old 11-21-2015, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You gods are not fair. But we still love you.
linger63 likes this.
post #22366 of 23880 Old 11-21-2015, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-Houston View Post
I've found the OPPO to be the best HDMI splitter I have! I've tried several HDMI splitters from Monoprice and elsewhere. They all have proved problematic with intermittent problems. I have an odd setup with an older 720p projector with an IRIS and very acceptable blacks and a 3d plasma. Running the projector from HDMI2 and the plasma from HDMI1 through my receiver has solved all of my problems. I can watch either or both displays with no problem.
Newbie side-question...
I'd like to set up a small flat-panel on a splitter so I can operate things like my Oppo-103 setup, Onkyo setup (single HDMI out) and DirecTV programming on the flat panel instead of having to light up my PJ. I tried using my Oppo as splitter (1st/2nd HDMI-out and vise-versa) through a HDMI-to-DVI adapter to a PC monitor, but I could never get one display or the other to connect (I had to physically unplug the monitor to see the PJ). Does anybody know of something I should try, or know of any threads that already discuss a solution to this?

"We must smoke to your return"
post #22367 of 23880 Old 11-22-2015, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So, I am still having issues with my player since the latest firmware.

I check all the settings, I changed some to auto, like resolution and 24 frame output.

Not only do I get long periods of blanking, the player will also not sync with my rs46. It will show a blue screen for a split second. Audio plays fine.

For example as a movie starts, usually the studios logo is shown first as a movie starts, what I get is a blank, black screen.

The other issue that I have noticed is the frame rate seems to be skipping, not large skips but rather subtle frame or two. It's intermittent but once you see it, it's there. Noticed in Mad Max and the Man From Uncle.

I've had the player for some time now and never had issues before the latest firmware.

Thanks for reading.
post #22368 of 23880 Old 11-22-2015, 06:22 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamas View Post
So, I am still having issues with my player since the latest firmware.

I check all the settings, I changed some to auto, like resolution and 24 frame output.

Not only do I get long periods of blanking, the player will also not sync with my rs46. It will show a blue screen for a split second. Audio plays fine.

For example as a movie starts, usually the studios logo is shown first as a movie starts, what I get is a blank, black screen.

The other issue that I have noticed is the frame rate seems to be skipping, not large skips but rather subtle frame or two. It's intermittent but once you see it, it's there. Noticed in Mad Max and the Man From Uncle.

I've had the player for some time now and never had issues before the latest firmware.

Thanks for reading.
Try the following:

1) Try using different HDMI cables between the player and AVR and AVR and display.
2) Try bypassing the AVR, going direct to the display.
3) Try hooking the Oppo up to a different input on your AVR.
4) Try the other HDMI output on the BDP-103.
5) Try hooking the Oppo up to another display.
6) If using Quick Start mode on the Oppo, try switching to Energy Efficient mode and restarting the player.
7) Try performing a reset to defaults on the Oppo to get back to a known state (save your settings first so you can restore them later).

All of these tests are intended to figure out if the problem is the Oppo, the HDMI cable(s), the AVR, or the display. Obviously, if you aren't running video through your AVR you can skip test 2.

Do you have any other sources hooked up to your system? Are they all working fine?
post #22369 of 23880 Old 11-22-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Try the following:

1) Try using different HDMI cables between the player and AVR and AVR and display.
2) Try bypassing the AVR, going direct to the display.
3) Try hooking the Oppo up to a different input on your AVR.
4) Try the other HDMI output on the BDP-103.
5) Try hooking the Oppo up to another display.
6) If using Quick Start mode on the Oppo, try switching to Energy Efficient mode and restarting the player.
7) Try performing a reset to defaults on the Oppo to get back to a known state (save your settings first so you can restore them later).

All of these tests are intended to figure out if the problem is the Oppo, the HDMI cable(s), the AVR, or the display. Obviously, if you aren't running video through your AVR you can skip test 2.

Do you have any other sources hooked up to your system? Are they all working fine?
I know this response wasn't directed at me, but thanks for the tips. I'm also having issues with my 103, that seem to have started since the lastest firmware update. I've tried most but not all of these troubleshooting tips. Hopefully one of them will solve my issues.

I am getting black screen with "HDMI searching" randomly during blu ray discs as well as apps like Netflix.

The other issue is if I pause a movie and the 103 goes into sreensaver mode, when I wake it up to continue playing the movie it skips back to the beginning of the scene rather than where I paused it.
post #22370 of 23880 Old 11-22-2015, 11:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post

I am getting black screen with "HDMI searching" randomly during blu ray discs as well as apps like Netflix.
That sounds like a cable issue.

Quote:
The other issue is if I pause a movie and the 103 goes into sreensaver mode, when I wake it up to continue playing the movie it skips back to the beginning of the scene rather than where I paused it.
That's very strange. If you can replicate that, get the details to OPPO support.

-Bill
Patriot666 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #22371 of 23880 Old 11-22-2015, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
That sounds like a cable issue.

That's very strange. If you can replicate that, get the details to OPPO support.

-Bill
Thanks for responding Bill. As far as the blanking/hdmi searching I've ruled out the HDMI 1 and 2 outs from the 103,the cable from the AVR to the PJ, the PJ itself, and both HDMI outs on my AVR. I've basically troubleshot it down to either the cable from the Oppo to the AVR, the input on the AVR, or the Oppo itself. I'll try another input and cable. The skipping backwards after pausing is very annoying and even if I have a hardware issue, this doesn't seem like it's related. I've emailed Oppo about it.
post #22372 of 23880 Old 11-22-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just downloaded a .webm file (a video) from the internet. Will this play natively in the Oppo without converting to a different file format? Could I just rename it? (ie to .mp4)

Last edited by noway1; 11-22-2015 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spell mistake
post #22373 of 23880 Old 11-22-2015, 06:16 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway1 View Post
Just downloaded a .webm file (a video) from the internet. Will this play natively in the Oppo without conveting to a different file format? Could I just rename it? (ie to .mp4)
I don't recall any test reports, but I would suspect not. You could try it and let us know.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #22374 of 23880 Old 11-23-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by noway1 View Post
Just downloaded a .webm file (a video) from the internet. Will this play natively in the Oppo without converting to a different file format? Could I just rename it? (ie to .mp4)
No.

And re-naming or re-muxing such files to the .mkv container does not work either, as the Oppo does not support the VP8 or VP9 video format.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #22375 of 23880 Old 11-23-2015, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
No.

And re-naming or re-muxing such files to the .mkv container does not work either, as the Oppo does not support the VP8 or VP9 video format.
Maybe using Handbrake will work.
post #22376 of 23880 Old 11-23-2015, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dear friends,

I have a bdp-103 bluray player and during these days I noticed a very small detail that is probably normal, but I would like to confirm with you. When the disc tray is closed, there is a small step (offset) as if the tray was not 100% closed all the way, but 99%. I know it's a barely perceptible detail, but I'm very methodical. I ask you to please look on yours to confirm if it is normal. I attached some photos to better show what I am describing.

Thank you very much,

Fabio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1075562   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1075570  
post #22377 of 23880 Old 11-23-2015, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 174
It's not normal. Give Oppo a call. They may have some suggestions for fixing it.

post #22378 of 23880 Old 11-23-2015, 04:40 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
Dear friends,

I have a bdp-103 bluray player and during these days I noticed a very small detail that is probably normal, but I would like to confirm with you. When the disc tray is closed, there is a small step (offset) as if the tray was not 100% closed all the way, but 99%. I know it's a barely perceptible detail, but I'm very methodical. I ask you to please look on yours to confirm if it is normal. I attached some photos to better show what I am describing.

Thank you very much,

Fabio.
That looks a bit too much to me. On my players the closed tray is perceptible to the touch, but does not appear to protrude as much as in your photos.

-Bill

post #22379 of 23880 Old 11-23-2015, 05:32 PM

Any reason to plug Roku Streaming Stick into OPPO?

I have the HDMI Roku Streaming Stick. I was thinking I could plug this into the Oppo and control with Oppo remote, but after reading, seems I have the wrong version. Apparently only the older MHL only version is powered from the HDMI/MHL port, outputs 1080p/24 and can be controlled by Oppo remote.

Dunno why Roku would drop the MHL support from current version, but I guess they must have their reasons. For that matter dunno why Oppo made it so I'd have to plug it into the front anyway, but seems that's a non-issue now.

So is there any reason to plug the HDMI only version into Oppo as opposed to direct to AVR, and if so, any reason to plug it into the front?

I have a firestick too, haven't looked that up yet, but I'm guessing it doesn't support MHL either, but same question applies, any reason to plug it into Oppo instead of straight to AVR?
post #22380 of 23880 Old 11-23-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I bought the MHL stick that is for the Oppo and now I regret it. I don't know when I would ever use it since it only works with the Oppo? I should have waited and bought the HDMI stick which is portable and can be used while traveling, etc.
Want to trade?

Samsung F8500 | Tivo Roamio OTA | Yamaha RX-A1040 | Oppo BDP-103
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page