Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 748 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 702Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #22411 of 23643 Old 12-03-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 18,085
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
Somewhat unable to find this info as it may be a bit unusual.

I was wondering if with this player it's possible to only use the subwoofer analog output , while at the same time having all 7.1 channels go through the HDMI output (+ video of course) to my receiver ?

My receiver is 7.1, but only has HDMI inputs, no analog audio inputs.

Reason I am asking is because I'd like to connect a Buttkicker LFE (amp + shaker / transducer) to it and drive it through the Oppo, while my receiver would take care of the sound. That way I would also be able to plug in headphones in the receiver while still have the BK-LFE active.

Also wondering if its worth spending this much on the player if I am not listening to music at all, but only movie watching.
I currently own a Sony BDP-S1200 but end up using Netflix through the Roku3 more often than watching Blu-ray. Using Netflix on the Sony is also very sluggish compared to the Roku.
The AVR has a subwoofer output, why not use that? You can connect several subs to a single output.

Edit, just realized you want to do a sub-only thing. Sure, try it, but you'll need to have the Oppo set for an appropriate downmix mode, and decide if you want LF content from main channels mixed in.
rdgrimes is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22412 of 23643 Old 12-03-2015, 11:11 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,714
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The AVR has a subwoofer output, why not use that? You can connect several subs to a single output.
He said because he wanted the buttkicker to continue to work when using headphones in the AVR's headphone port, as that will shut off all the analog outputs on the AVR.

What he wants to do will "work" in that the Oppo's analog outputs and the HDMI are both output active at the same time. The problem is that volume adjustments made with the AVR's volume control won't be seen by the buttkicker, so he would need to also adjust the Oppo's volume level to keep it in sync with the AVR's volume level. So while it will "work", it doesn't seem like a very good solution.
gsr is offline  
post #22413 of 23643 Old 12-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lower Mainland, BC
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks guys, so it seems like it would work.

I agree its not the best solution, but so far I have not found another way to be able to use the headphones + BK.
Besides, I think I would prefer having independent volume adjustment for the BK-LFE regardless of volume on AVR, as otherwise it is easy to bottom out the BK-LFE if the receiver volume is cranked up too much. Would probably keep it around the same setting most of the time, while adjusting the volume on the AVR for listening preference. I am also considering the possibility to get rid of the Roku3 if responsiveness of this player is good enough.

Still debating between this and the Samsung BD-J7500, but not sure yet if that one can also output audio through both HDMI and analog simultaneously.
alextr75 is offline  
post #22414 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Member
 
g.j.martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Player Freezing

Hi guys, just joined the Oppo BDP-103 ranks. Somewhat disappointed though, I have used it now 4 times, once for CD music playing, Tidal streaming and the other two watching a bluray (Skyfall and Quantum of Solace) The two times I played a movie the player completely froze on me in the loading phase. I am replacing a Marantz UD5005 which was slow and froze a lot.

I have downloaded the latest firmware as of Tuesday. I switched BD-live off from some recommendations on the forum. It is connected via HDMI to a Marantz SR7009 Any idea what is going on? Please help, I love the player but the freezing has me questioning the purchase.
g.j.martin is offline  
post #22415 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 08:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 20,083
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.j.martin View Post
Hi guys, just joined the Oppo BDP-103 ranks. Somewhat disappointed though, I have used it now 4 times, once for CD music playing, Tidal streaming and the other two watching a bluray (Skyfall and Quantum of Solace) The two times I played a movie the player completely froze on me in the loading phase. I am replacing a Marantz UD5005 which was slow and froze a lot.

I have downloaded the latest firmware as of Tuesday. I switched BD-live off from some recommendations on the forum. It is connected via HDMI to a Marantz SR7009 Any idea what is going on? Please help, I love the player but the freezing has me questioning the purchase.
The easiest thing would be just to contact OPPO support for their recommended diagnostics and/or fixes before getting a warranty repair or replacement.

Because weird things happen, before that I'd:
  • Disconnect and reseat every cable, switch HDMI cables around.
  • Leave ethernet disconnected during diagnostics.
  • Reload current firmware via USB.
  • Reset factory defaults.
  • Blow compressed air into the open tray slot in case a bit of fluff is caught on the laser head.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #22416 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,755
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 298
^2 very different high end / high quality players, both with freezings issues?
Evidence suggests that the problem may not be the player itself, but maybe something else.

Are you watching commercially pressed discs direct from studio/manufacturer/store, or are they user made media?
Another issue could be connecting to older devices like your display or avr/processor,
and handshaking issues between those devices and the players.
Could also be bad cables, dust/dirt/scratches/film on the discs.
Some discs I have had issues with in the past, a proper thorough cleaning of the disc fixed those issues.
Even if the disc looks perfect to your eyes, it can have a clear residue that can interfere with laser readings.
Rental discs are especially prone to have flaws, since you never know what the previous users could have done to them.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI

Last edited by Smarty-pants; 12-04-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #22417 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Carrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.j.martin View Post
Hi guys, just joined the Oppo BDP-103 ranks. Somewhat disappointed though
Getting a new projector soon and was planning to get the same player. Without reading 22,000 pages can someone tell me if the newer ones support the new standards HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0a, 18GBs, 4k pass through/upscaling, etc etc? Thanks
Carrick is offline  
post #22418 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 18,085
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick View Post
Getting a new projector soon and was planning to get the same player. Without reading 22,000 pages can someone tell me if the newer ones support the new standards HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0a, 18GBs, 4k pass through/upscaling, etc etc? Thanks
No.
No BD players do, or will they ever. For that you need a "4K BD Player".
The Oppo does up-scaling to 4K, that's it.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #22419 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Member
 
dabrick7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
With only one output "live" (either one) that single HDMI carries best quality for both audio and video, and the Split A/V vs Dual HDMI setting is ignored.
Quick question: Was running Split A/V and ran into intermittent audio issues. No sound on startup, then it would flicker in and out for 5-10 minutes and about 15-20 minutes in, full audio.

Disconnected HDMI2 and ran only one HDMI. Problem solved. However, if I ran only HDMI2, I'd get video, but no audio.

Any idea what the issue is?
dabrick7 is offline  
post #22420 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fmalczewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrick7 View Post
Any idea what the issue is?
Bad or loose HDMI cable(s)?
fmalczewski is offline  
post #22421 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 01:13 PM
Member
 
dabrick7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
Bad or loose HDMI cable(s)?
Sorry, let me clarify. I used the same HDMI cable on both inputs.

HDMI 1 brings both audio and video when using only one HDMI cable. No issues.

HDMI 2 brings video and the no/intermittent sound issue when using only one HDMI cable. Basically, the same issue when using dual HDMIs.

EDIT: I should also add that this issue happens when using any OPPO app or DirecTV. Eliminated the Denon AVR from the loop, went straight from OPPO to TV, same issues.

Just started happening within the last week after two years of running flawlessly.

Last edited by dabrick7; 12-04-2015 at 01:42 PM.
dabrick7 is offline  
post #22422 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fmalczewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrick7 View Post
Sorry, let me clarify. I used the same HDMI cable on both inputs.

HDMI 1 brings both audio and video when using only one HDMI cable. No issues.

HDMI 2 brings video and the no/intermittent sound issue when using only one HDMI cable. Basically, the same issue when using dual HDMIs.

EDIT: I should also add that this issue happens when using any OPPO app or DirecTV. Eliminated the Denon AVR from the loop, went straight from OPPO to TV, same issues.

Just started happening within the last week after two years of running flawlessly.
Perhaps try another TV to see if the same thing happens, or different HDMI inputs. (Or different cables.)
(If it happens with both directv and Oppo, then difficult to blame either of them.)
fmalczewski is offline  
post #22423 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Member
 
g.j.martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Is there something I'm missing when trying to access my iMac's audio library with the Oppo 103? I see the iMac pop on the app and asks for my user/pass, when I enter it over and over, it states its incorrect....
g.j.martin is offline  
post #22424 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 02:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 20,083
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.j.martin View Post
Is there something I'm missing when trying to access my iMac's audio library with the Oppo 103? I see the iMac pop on the app and asks for my user/pass, when I enter it over and over, it states its incorrect....
Try a DLNA server instead of SMB. A lot of people have reported quick success with Twonky.

EDIT: I keep forgetting JRiver Media Center, which also runs on Mac.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #22425 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.j.martin View Post
Is there something I'm missing when trying to access my iMac's audio library with the Oppo 103? I see the iMac pop on the app and asks for my user/pass, when I enter it over and over, it states its incorrect....
Apple's version of SMB on the Mac is incompatible with the version in the OPPO. (Curiously, SMB as implemented by Apple on the Airport Extreme works OK.)

OPPO's knowledge base includes info on how some folks have re-enabled the compatible version of SMB on their Mac, but I'd be worried about side effects doing that.

So your best bet, as Bill has stated, is to try a DLNA Server app on the Mac -- or use SMB with the files moved to a networked disk drive server.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #22426 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrick7 View Post
Quick question: Was running Split A/V and ran into intermittent audio issues. No sound on startup, then it would flicker in and out for 5-10 minutes and about 15-20 minutes in, full audio.

Disconnected HDMI2 and ran only one HDMI. Problem solved. However, if I ran only HDMI2, I'd get video, but no audio.

Any idea what the issue is?
Your HDMI 2 port may need hardware service. Send OPPO Tech Support an email -- they tend to monitor email even on the weekends -- and they can likely give you a few checks to try to confirm if the HDMI 2 port really went flaky on you. If you need service, and the player is out of warranty, OPPO offers reasonably priced flat-rate service.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #22427 of 23643 Old 12-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Member
 
g.j.martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^2 very different high end / high quality players, both with freezings issues?
Evidence suggests that the problem may not be the player itself, but maybe something else.

Are you watching commercially pressed discs direct from studio/manufacturer/store, or are they user made media?
Another issue could be connecting to older devices like your display or avr/processor,
and handshaking issues between those devices and the players.
Could also be bad cables, dust/dirt/scratches/film on the discs.
Some discs I have had issues with in the past, a proper thorough cleaning of the disc fixed those issues.
Even if the disc looks perfect to your eyes, it can have a clear residue that can interfere with laser readings.
Rental discs are especially prone to have flaws, since you never know what the previous users could have done to them.
I doubt it's the equipment. The Ud5005 is known to be problematic and slow, I got it real cheap a while back so I didn't complain. What I have no is a Marants SR7009 and a Sony hw40es projector, none of which I would call old. The cables are audio quest hdmi which I got from an old friends employee discount (wouldn't pay retail for those things) and the discs I use are all original store bought blurays, I collect them. The Marantz never froze for the first three years I had it, it was obviously slow and clunky but the Oppo is really fast and responsive, I really do like it a lot, build quality etc. but the two times it's frozen on me has me a little disappointed, I even had to hear it from the wife, "500.00 player and your having these issues" ugh the nerve!
g.j.martin is offline  
post #22428 of 23643 Old 12-05-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 3,033
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I have seen brand new purchased Blu-Rays have fingerprints, dust or greasy spots on them. I have also accidentally added my own fingerprints to a disc with somewhat careless handling.Every time I have had a freeze on either of my two Oppo players, this has been the cause. A quick cleaning of the disc eliminated any freezing. You can't assume that a new disc is flawless. There have even been reports of discs with manufacturing flaws that cause freezes and other playback anomalies. Some players are just more sensitive to disc flaws than others as well. You need to eliminate these factors first.

JazzGuyy is online now  
post #22429 of 23643 Old 12-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Subwoofer for pure audio?

Hi, I am interested in getting a BDP-103 player. I would like to know if I use it as a CD player (Pure Audio mode, connects FL and FR to my amplifier, Down mix set to Stereo), will its subwoofer analog output still works? I read the manual, but it does not say anything. I want to add subwoofer to my audio system. Also, Is this model 3 years old, not sure if I should wait for the new model. Thanks in advance.
905moons is offline  
post #22430 of 23643 Old 12-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Newbie
 
skopelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Huge MKV problems after recent update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Try a complete reset of the player:

Remove any disc. Save your Settings to a USB stick. Set Energy Efficient. Power Off and back On again.

Now Erase Persistent Storage. Then Reset Settings.

When that finishes, power Off. Now pull the power plug. While still unplugged, press and hold Power button on the front panel for a few seconds.

Plug back in, power up, and restore your saved settings from the USB stick.

Check for your problem with MKV files. If it still exists, download a fresh copy of the 1031 firmware from the OPPO Digital web site. Get the version for install from a USB stick.

Go into Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Upgrade and select Install from USB. Re-install all of the separate pieces of the firmware.

If the problem STILL exists, call OPPO Tech Support for further help.
--Bob
I have a BDP 103EU model connected via ethernet to a synology disk station.Before the update everything went smoothly with mkv playback via ethernet.After the latest update my mkv files regardless of their size start to play but after 10-30 seconds the picture freezes but the sound continues.Then again the picture goes up only to freeze again after 30 seconds or so.
I have tried everything in your post, also reinstalling the update via usb but the problem continues.It is certainly something to do with the update because nothing has changed in my setup and i am not facing any ethernet related problems.
Any ideas...? Very disappointed here with Oppo since i am a huge fan of the brand
skopelos is offline  
post #22431 of 23643 Old 12-05-2015, 11:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 20,083
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by skopelos View Post
I have a BDP 103EU model connected via ethernet to a synology disk station.Before the update everything went smoothly with mkv playback via ethernet.After the latest update my mkv files regardless of their size start to play but after 10-30 seconds the picture freezes but the sound continues.Then again the picture goes up only to freeze again after 30 seconds or so.
I have tried everything in your post, also reinstalling the update via usb but the problem continues.It is certainly something to do with the update because nothing has changed in my setup and i am not facing any ethernet related problems.
Any ideas...? Very disappointed here with Oppo since i am a huge fan of the brand
I play many MKV files and have not seen the lockups. It could be the player is not responding well to your authoring work flow, and this could be corrected in future firmware.

I suggest you contact OPPO support and offer them mkvinfo reports of the problem files, and perhaps an example file that shows the problem.

I have noticed a small problem with subtitle display in MKV that appeared with recent firmware, so some changes were made.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #22432 of 23643 Old 12-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Newbie
 
skopelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I play many MKV files and have not seen the lockups. It could be the player is not responding well to your authoring work flow, and this could be corrected in future firmware.

I suggest you contact OPPO support and offer them mkvinfo reports of the problem files, and perhaps an example file that shows the problem.

I have noticed a small problem with subtitle display in MKV that appeared with recent firmware, so some changes were made.

-Bill
Thank you Bill for your instant response.
I have been playing with the player the last hour changing settings back and fourth, and just now after changing my internet settings in oppo setup menu to DHCP from manual ..seems to have rectify the problem.

I will do some more testing, but in two mkv files i tried, everything went back to normal.

Maybe its a mix of update and internet settings problem.
Definitely something changed in mkv playing with the recent update and i will keep close monitoring and will post again if the problem persists.

Thank you again ...
skopelos is offline  
post #22433 of 23643 Old 12-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
The usual problem with a Manual IP setting is that something else on your network is mistakenly using that same IP address, either because it has been set there Manually as well or because your Router has handed out that address in response to a DHCP request unaware that you are already using it Manually. I.E., the address has not been "reserved" in the router.

Two devices on network with the same IP address play havoc with each other, and degrade the in-house network throughput generally, as well.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #22434 of 23643 Old 12-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Member
 
razevents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This is somewhat a Noob question, but for those with Oppo 103 type players, how much improved is the video and audio quality from an off the shelf Sony or Samsung Blu Ray player and if so in what ways?

Thanks!l for your input and patience with my silly question.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
razevents is offline  
post #22435 of 23643 Old 12-05-2015, 12:56 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 20,083
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by razevents View Post
This is somewhat a Noob question, but for those with Oppo 103 type players, how much improved is the video and audio quality from an off the shelf Sony or Samsung Blu Ray player and if so in what ways?

Thanks!l for your input and patience with my silly question.
The general forum consensus is that all Blu-ray players are very similar in terms of Blu-ray video and digital audio quality.

Looking for a A/V quality upgrade is not a good reason to switch players.

DVD is more variable than Blu-ray and analog audio is more complicated.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #22436 of 23643 Old 12-05-2015, 01:00 PM
Member
 
razevents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The Built in Darbee, ability to use my SACD content from early 2000s and a quality analog Music source is reason enough to go with the 103. I haven't purchased anything yet, but wanted to hear from the user group the benefits


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
razevents is offline  
post #22437 of 23643 Old 12-05-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,625
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The general forum consensus is that all Blu-ray players are very similar in terms of Blu-ray video and digital audio quality.

Looking for a A/V quality upgrade is not a good reason to switch players.
But, a VERY GOOD REASON to get a 103 is if you would like to route external HDMI input (e.g.720p/1080i cable/satellite-provided HDTV) through the 103 to get the advantages of the "video cleanup and wonderful upconvert to 1080p" capability of the 103 applied to HDTV.

This cleaned/upconverted 1080p can then be sent out via 103's HDMI-1 output either directly to HDTV or through the AVR and on to the HDTV.

Also, second HDMI-2 output on the 103 can be used in "split A/V mode" to send still-encoded bitstream or already-decoded LPCM digital audio-only to an AVR other external audio system via HDMI. The 103 can deliver "decoded to discrete multi-channel LPCM digital audio" via HDMI output, if your external audio/headphone system (e.g. Smyth Realiser A8) has no decoding capability but requires already-decoded discrete multi-channel LPCM input via HDMI. I don't know of any other device that can provide already-decoded multi-channel LPCM output over HDMI, if that's what you need.
DSperber is offline  
post #22438 of 23643 Old 12-05-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bweissman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by razevents View Post
The Built in Darbee, ability to use my SACD content from early 2000s and a quality analog Music source is reason enough to go with the 103. I haven't purchased anything yet, but wanted to hear from the user group the benefits.
The 103 doesn't have Darbee. That would be the 103D.
bweissman is offline  
post #22439 of 23643 Old 12-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Member
 
razevents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
But, a VERY GOOD REASON to get a 103 is if you would like to route external HDMI input (e.g.720p/1080i cable/satellite-provided HDTV) through the 103 to get the advantages of the "video cleanup and wonderful upconvert to 1080p" capability of the 103 applied to HDTV.

This cleaned/upconverted 1080p can then be sent out via 103's HDMI-1 output either directly to HDTV or through the AVR and on to the HDTV.

Also, second HDMI-2 output on the 103 can be used in "split A/V mode" to send still-encoded bitstream or already-decoded LPCM digital audio-only to an AVR other external audio system via HDMI. The 103 can deliver "decoded to discrete multi-channel LPCM digital audio" via HDMI output, if your external audio/headphone system (e.g. Smyth Realiser A8) has no decoding capability but requires already-decoded discrete multi-channel LPCM input via HDMI. I don't know of any other device that can provide already-decoded multi-channel LPCM output over HDMI, if that's what you need.

I didn't realize the Oppo will upconvert and process. I assume the 103D will add Darbee to it as well? For setup can you leave the box configured so as long as it's on it passes the "TV" signal out of hdmi 1 and Internal Disc content exits HDMI 2? This way it's always in the HDTV path and the Oppo doesn't have to be source switched with the macros for the Harmony.

So I'm now beginning to see the many advantages to Oppo.

Anyone using this with a Lumagen Radiance? If so is it better off sending a raw unprocessed or converted signal to the Lumagen rather than asking the Oppo to do anything but add Darbee (for the 103D)?

Thx again


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
razevents is offline  
post #22440 of 23643 Old 12-06-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,625
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by razevents View Post
I didn't realize the Oppo will upconvert and process.
Yes. It applies the same audio/video processing it does when you play a disc internally to whatever comes in through its external HDMI source inputs. The same is true for content provided from Internet-provided "smart apps", like Netflix.


Quote:
I assume the 103D will add Darbee to it as well?
I can't speak firsthand since I have a 103, but I believe the answer is again yes.


Quote:
For setup can you leave the box configured so as long as it's on it passes the "TV" signal out of hdmi 1 and Internal Disc content exits HDMI 2? This way it's always in the HDTV path and the Oppo doesn't have to be source switched with the macros for the Harmony.
Well, the box does have source switching via its remote (or 3rd-party remote). You can configure it to always power-on in one particular source input state (either internal disc or one of the two external HDMI inputs), or you can set it to power-on with the "last selected" input already pre-selected. So conceptually you do have to pick the source input in order to view it, but you don't have to manually always select it if your configuration allows you to use "last selected" mode and your next viewing session wants to use that same "last selected" input. Of course if you now want to view from a different source you'll have to manually switch to it.

My own experience with using "last selected" on one of the external HDMI inputs is that there is also a timing consideration issue for HDMI handshakes as the various devices are already on or take a few seconds to become available if they're not already on and stabilized, to participate in the HDMI handshake. This handshake is necessary to determine the capability of source and target as far as audio and video, so if all pieces are not ready when required there might be some annoying consequences that require re-initiating the handshake to stabilize things properly. But this really is only a problem if you normally power everything off when you're done watching/listening, so that you have a multi-device power-on timing sequence consideration when your next viewing session begins.

Since my DVR (actually, a Windows Media Center extender) takes about 30 seconds to power-on and stabilize such that it can then participate in an HDMI handshake with the 103 to which it's connected, I simply have my 103 set to always power-up in "internal disc" mode, so that there is no HDMI handshake done except with the HDMI-conneted AVR and HDMI-connected HDTV at the other end of the output string. Only when the WMC extender finally stabilizes do I then switch source inputs on the 103 to "external HDMI-1 input" which then triggers the source device HDMI-handshake with the extender, and now all is well. So it takes say up to a minute for me to get ready to begin a "viewing/listening session" from cold power-off, but it's less aggravating to just do things this way then to have to re-initiate it anyway is the 103 is set to start up with external HDMI-1 input as its pre-selected source, before a valid HDMI handshake is possible.

But that's just me, and my setup.

As far as HDMI-2 output, there are various ways to configure outputs on HDMI-1 and HDMI-2. In "split A/V mode" when there is an HDMI-enabled device connected and powered on to each of the HDMI outputs the 103 sends video-only out HDMI-1 and audio-only out HDMI-2. This is useful if that's what your equipment setup requires.

Otherwise, if HDMI-2 is "idle/off" or just not connected, both audio and video will be sent out HDMI-1... even in "split A/V mode".

Other configurations for HDMI-1 and HDMI-2 outputs are available.

Last edited by DSperber; 12-06-2015 at 01:38 PM.
DSperber is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off