Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 757 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 796Likes

Old 01-10-2016, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the Roku 4 box compatible with the Oppo just as the Roku stick? Does it matter that one is a stick and the other a box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 08:09 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSD View Post
Is the Roku 4 box compatible with the Oppo just as the Roku stick? Does it matter that one is a stick and the other a box?
The only Roku that will integrate with the Oppo's remote control is the MHL version of the Roku Streaming Stick when plugged into the front HDMI input on the Oppo. The other Roku's will work just fine with the Oppo, but you'll need to use the Roku remote to control them.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:16 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
^ When and if the Roku 4 supports streaming of 4K content, also be aware that the HDMI inputs of the 103 are limited to 1080p input.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 01-10-2016, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ When and if the Roku 4 supports streaming of 4K content, also be aware that the HDMI inputs of the 103 are limited to 1080p input.
--Bob
Does that mean there will be no signal?....or just that it will be 'downgraded' to 1080? Also, planning on using universal remote so sounds like the mhl version has no advantage in that situation...other than price?
Old 01-10-2016, 01:33 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSD View Post
Does that mean there will be no signal?....or just that it will be 'downgraded' to 1080?
You would need to configure the Roku to output 1080P or lower. If you try to send 4K to the Oppo's HDMI inputs, you won't get a picture.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok, here I am for some more help. Oppo is not a commonly found brand here in Mumbai so trying to get a perspective from the actual owners of the product here. I was talking to one of the sellers of Oppo BDP 103 and this is the message he sent me:

Quote:
It doesn't have box pack and is OEM version. This player is hardware level region free make and hence future firmware are updatable. Since hardware modification is done the box was opened and also the player was opened for welding and modification. This is hard to find player and rare to find in India. Modification has taken me 20,000 bucks more and hence this high price. This is the only piece available and no more quantity will be there even in future.
So couple of things here. While I understand OEM is original equipment manufacturer. What would that mean here? Is it different from a retail Oppo BDP103? Does it really cost Rs. 20000 (Roughly $300) to make Oppo region free even if its done at a hardware level?

Quote:
External USB are not as effective as the modded internal boards to make it region free. However the high price is for the modded requirement and ability to upgrade the firmware and still keeping the region free feature intact.
Is it true external USB is not as effective? And does region free feature suffer with every firmware upgrade? In your experience is this a buyable piece?

Thanks already!
Old 01-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
^ Two things: First, turn off the THX choice in the D2v. Particularly if you are using ARC you don't also want the THX post processing. Second check your speaker wiring. It sounds like you have a 5.1 speaker setup, but you mention audio coming from Left Rear and Right Rear. In a 5.1 speaker setup, your two surround speakers should be wired to the Left Surround and Right Surround speaker outputs (not LR/RR), regardless of how far back you have them physically positioned in the room.

Netflix' description of audio on their rented Blu-ray discs is notoriously inaccurate. Ignore it. Use the Info button on the OPPO to see which audio format is currently selected for playback off the disc (lower left corner of Info display).

When using Bitstream output, leave Secondary Audio OFF in the OPPO.
--Bob
Bob, thanks for helping me trouble shoot this.

My friend has an Oppo BDP-103, so I took mine over to his house and played the Movie. No problem on his or mine in his system. So the problem is not the Oppo. He has a Denon receiver. It played DTS mono like it should. It's got to be some setting in the Anthem D2v is off or there's something wrong with the D2v in decoding? I'll post this question on the D2v forum. Could you help me there?

Life is a garden, dig it.
PRO-70X5FD, McIntosh MC205, Marantz AV7702MKII, Oppo 103, JL Audio f113, Richard Gray 400S, Harmony one
Old 01-10-2016, 02:32 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by october16 View Post
Ok, here I am for some more help. Oppo is not a commonly found brand here in Mumbai so trying to get a perspective from the actual owners of the product here. I was talking to one of the sellers of Oppo BDP 103 and this is the message he sent me:

So couple of things here. While I understand OEM is original equipment manufacturer. What would that mean here? Is it different from a retail Oppo BDP103? Does it really cost Rs. 20000 (Roughly $300) to make Oppo region free even if its done at a hardware level?

Is it true external USB is not as effective? And does region free feature suffer with every firmware upgrade? In your experience is this a buyable piece?
The available region free kits cost about $160 USD or less here in the USA and are pretty simple to install as long as you have a screwdriver handy to take the top of the case off. The external region free mods are just as effective as the internal ones and have the bonus of not having to open the player, though there will be a small external box instead. No soldering and certainly no welding should be required for any of the region free mods. I can't answer what things cost in Mumbai though, so it's possible the asking price is perfectly reasonable there.
october16 likes this.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The available region free kits cost about $160 USD or less here in the USA and are pretty simple to install as long as you have a screwdriver handy to take the top of the case off. The external region free mods are just as effective as the internal ones and have the bonus of not having to open the player, though there will be a small external box instead. No soldering and certainly no welding should be required for any of the region free mods. I can't answer what things cost in Mumbai though, so it's possible the asking price is perfectly reasonable there.
The asking price is Rs 55,000 (Approx. $823). The bit about OEM has me confused here. What does it mean?
Old 01-10-2016, 03:14 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
The asking price is Rs 55,000 (Approx. $823). The bit about OEM has me confused here. What does it mean?
No idea what he means by OEM, unless he's talking about the region free kit being essentially a generic / unbranded version of one of the common ones. You would probably need to ask the seller for more specifics. At that asking price (again, with my reference being pricing in the USA), what sort of warranty is included?
Old 01-10-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
No idea what he means by OEM, unless he's talking about the region free kit being essentially a generic / unbranded version of one of the common ones. You would probably need to ask the seller for more specifics. At that asking price (again, with my reference being pricing in the USA), what sort of warranty is included?
There is no warranty for this product as it has been imported from the US. The price of an Oppo BDP 103 with one year warranty would be approx $1047 here in Mumbai. Considering its unlikely that a bluray player will conk out in a year, I suppose a chance like that can be taken.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
There is no warranty for this product as it has been imported from the US. The price of an Oppo BDP 103 with one year warranty would be approx $1047 here in Mumbai. Considering its unlikely that a bluray player will conk out in a year, I suppose a chance like that can be taken.
Warranty or not, Oppo can still service it if needed. (for very little cost)
Old 01-10-2016, 06:35 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
(for very little cost)
Other than round trip shipping (and presumably customs fees) from Mumbai...
Old 01-10-2016, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hi Guys,

I have a specific question on the Oppo 103. I have a Sony 4K TV model XBR-70-750B. Everyone on the official Sony 4K TV thread tells me to turn OFF all upscaling and up converting. They said the Sony TV's processor is far superior to any other and therefore the TV does the best job at getting the picture up to 4K on it's own. I don't know if I agree with that.

The Oppo 103 has a 4K up converting function. Is this something that'll improve my picture on my 4K TV or should I leave it turned off? I'm wanting a blu-ray player that'll offer better 2 channel music quality on music cd's and I want a better picture for my movies. I currently have a Sony BDP-N460. It's well built and offers Dolby True and DTS Master Audio. Then a few months ago I got a new Sony 6200 model for $59. It has 4K upscaling. It is pure junk and not even worth $59 due to the poor build quality. So, I've gone back to my N460 and I'm happy with it. I just want to know if the Oppo 103 will make me happier? Will it offer better audio or video performance? And if I buy it should I use the 4K upscaling function? And I don't understand the 2D to 3D function. My 4K TV is already 3D so will the 2D to 3D make all of my 2D movies transfer to use for 3D?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
I just want to know if the Oppo 103 will make me happier? Will it offer better audio or video performance?
Those are 2 different questions:
1) Hard to say. The Oppo is a universal, multi-function player. Will that make you happy?
2) Probably not.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Question App updates

Do the apps that come with the Oppo BDP-103 get updates? I'm considering buying a Blu-ray player, and I won't even consider getting an Oppo player if the answer to that is "no". Here is my reason. My TV is a 3D 1080p set, yet the built-in Netflix app doesn't stream any of their 3D titles in 3D. The reason is, it is an old version of the app. Netflix says that LG is the app's developer, so it is LG's responsibility to push out updates. When I called LG, LG said that I should contact Netflix. But the conclusion that I've come to is that it is actually LG's responsibility to keep the included apps up-to-date, but what interest do they have in doing that? They'd rather you go buy a new TV with the latest version, or an add-on such as a Blu-ray player, than be given free app updates.
So in the future when I buy a new TV, I will look for a dumb model without any apps, to which I can add my own Blu-ray player, Roku box, etc. to add apps to it. And that Blu-ray player or set-top box will be from a company that pushes out app updates as fast as reasonably possible and continues releasing updates for as long as the device's hardware is capable of supporting it.
So, does Oppo push out app updates as fast as reasonably possible, and will they provide them for the BDP-103 for as long as the BDP-103's hardware is capable of supporting it? If not, I will look elsewhere, because I've been burned before.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
^ My Samsung tv has undergone so many app changes in its Smarthub interface over the past 2.5 years, that I have lost count. Surprised LG is not doing the same.

I can't help you with the 103's apps because I don't use them, but I know that Oppo has included new apps, in addition to removing older apps, in firmware upgrades over the past couple of years since owning the player. There's really not a lot of apps, however, that Oppo includes in their players. You're better off using a Roku device, Amazon Fire Stick, or AppleTv for more variety of app selection.

I would never purchase an Oppo player because of its included apps.....there's hundreds of other reasons to purchase an Oppo player. App availability is not even on my list.
Mongo171 likes this.

Last edited by DanF8500; 01-11-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ My Samsung tv has undergone so many app changes in its Smarthub interface over the past 2.5 years, that I have lost count. Surprised LG is not doing the same.
From what I understand LG upgrade their 'premium' apps whenever their televisions undergo a 'Software Version' update... As for the LG apps you can download yourself, my 'Viewster' app informed me there was an updated version just a few hours ago

Anyway... Back to topic...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 01-11-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
So, does Oppo push out app updates as fast as reasonably possible, and will they provide them for the BDP-103 for as long as the BDP-103's hardware is capable of supporting it? If not, I will look elsewhere, because I've been burned before.
They do push out updates to their apps. But "as fast as reasonably possible" -- not quite? The apps only get updated when firmware is updated (and not all of the apps every time). For a while those updated were coming every 3-6 months, but now they are coming about once a year.

My Samsung TV can update its apps independently of the TV firmware. The Oppo player does not.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
DanF8500 scott_bernstein What apps are available on streaming-only devices that aren't currently on the Oppo BDP-103?
Also, why in the heck does Oppo only update apps via firmware updates rather than simply updating the app independent from the firmware? That would be like Microsoft only updating Word when a new version of Windows is available. Makes no sense.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
DanF8500 scott_bernstein What apps are available on streaming-only devices that aren't currently on the Oppo BDP-103?
Also, why in the heck does Oppo only update apps via firmware updates rather than simply updating the app independent from the firmware? That would be like Microsoft only updating Word when a new version of Windows is available. Makes no sense.
They haven't built any sort of system for the player to reach out to the web and update apps independently -- the apps just update with firmware or never. There is also no way to add or delete apps, or a web browser built in. You get just the few (albeit KEY) apps that they offer in the versions that they push out with the firmware, and that's it. Generally that's been /ok/, though restrictive for sure.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Because they are different devices and have different goals.

The Oppo players are disk players first that have been expanded to include media network play and processing of external media signals (audio and video) to take advantage of the good processing that the Oppo players do.

In the updates that we've received, the capabilities of the player have been expanded significantly, to both address problems that were encountered and to provide enhanced functions.

Streaming was added as a feature, but to me it provides a small subset of the total number of streaming apps that are available. As an example, Amazon is not included. Oppo does support a Roku stick which you can plug in, but there are a small number of streaming apps that are natively on the Oppo desktop.

The Oppo does process the video that comes through those, for me Netflix and Vudu are just fine on my 103D, but I have to go through my TV for Amazon. Its absence is not due to Oppo, but to Amazon limiting the devices it licenses to.

So if you want a large number of apps to choose from, the Oppo players are not it. If you are satisfied with the selection and use another device to get a bunch of other apps, then they are.

The method for updating is through firmware updates. The emphasis is on control of the machine itself, and new versions of the apps or new apps (and deletion of old) is done through that. Just the way it is.

Windows is an all purpose operating system and has to support individual updating of applications, since its purpose is to support independent applications; so it incurs the expense of an update infrastructure to fulfill its role.

The Oppo system is closed and for whatever purpose (quality control, cost control) is not able to do dynamic updates now. Maybe in a future model.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Don't buy already region free player you can do it yourself very easy. Just get player you want and then buy on Ebay region free kit( less then $60) and you are all set. It is easy istallation can be done inside or outside on player. All DVD disk will switch automaticly only on BD you need to on remote change it yourself if you want to switch region. I just bought Oppo 103D and kit as well , works great with all my Europien DVD's.

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's, RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Emotiva XPA-200, UPA-7 Oppo 103D
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
Old 01-11-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

I can't help you with the 103's apps because I don't use them, but I know that Oppo has included new apps, in addition to removing older apps, in firmware upgrades over the past couple of years since owning the player. There's really not a lot of apps, however, that Oppo includes in their players. You're better off using a Roku device, Amazon Fire Stick, or AppleTv for more variety of app selection.

I would never purchase an Oppo player because of its included apps.....there's hundreds of other reasons to purchase an Oppo player. App availability is not even on my list.
Quote:
Oppo has updated their apps in the past when possible.
The only issue though is that just because Oppo might WANT the latest version of an app for their customers,
that does not mean that the app developer has to give it to them.
This is also the reason why their players are limited on what apps they do have.
App developers focus their attention on the 3rd party hardware that is the most popular and attracts the most customers.
(Like AppleTV, Roku, Amazon Fire, smartTV developers, etc...)
I'm sure it also has a lot to do with money and greased palms at times.
Some brands probably pay to have certain privileges like have the latest app versions before anyone else.
I think it would go without saying that Oppo would love to give you all the apps and latest versions of said apps too when they can.

BD players don't work like computers do.
In order to update the apps, it has to be done via a firmware upgrade.
The fact that app updates only come along once in a long while via firmware,
is simply because that is just how often those particular app updates are available.
If their players had a ton of apps like other devices, they would probably have more updates.

As far as their Netflix app specifically, I know that updates for that app have not come nearly as quickly
as they have for other devices, and it's hard to say if the current players will ever get another update for Netflix at all.
To see what Oppo has to say about it, you could ask them directly and then let us know what they say.
They are very pro-active to inquiries, and will usually answer emails in less than 24 hours.
http://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
Old 01-11-2016, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This is my second (and LAST) Oppo. For the life of me I don't understand all the fanboy love for this player. Both units regularly locked up after powering up. Now I'm having problems on my 103 with the audio on 3D blu rays. It either won't play the audio at all or I get intermittent audio punctuated be loud popping noises. Only happens on 3D blu rays...2d plays fine.
You would think a $500 blu Ray player would perform better than this. Will contact Oppo tomorrow and hopefully they can offer a solution but I'm totally frustrated.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsorgi View Post
This is my second (and LAST) Oppo. For the life of me I don't understand all the fanboy love for this player. Both units regularly locked up after powering up. Now I'm having problems on my 103 with the audio on 3D blu rays. It either won't play the audio at all or I get intermittent audio punctuated be loud popping noises. Only happens on 3D blu rays...2d plays fine.
You would think a $500 blu Ray player would perform better than this. Will contact Oppo tomorrow and hopefully they can offer a solution but I'm totally frustrated.
Are you using HDMI 1 to your Display for the 3D video and HDMI 2 to an AVR that can't pass 3D video for the audio?

If so, go into Setup > Video Setup > 3D Setting and set Blank HDMI 2 to YES.

What you are describing can happen with an AVR which can not accept 3D video but fails to publish that properly during the HDMI handshake. This setting was added specifically to work around that problem in such AVRs.

-----------------------------------

The player locking up on power up is certainly not normal. It can be caused by external problems such as a faulty HDMI cable or by problems in your network configuration external to the player. I would suggest that even if the setting above fixes your problem with audio on 3D discs, you should STILL get in touch with OPPO Tech Support and see if they can help you isolate/fix what's causing your power up problem. If it's not an external problem your player definitely needs service. As I said, what you are reporting regarding "regularly" locking up on power up is not normal.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Are you using HDMI 1 to your Display for the 3D video and HDMI 2 to an AVR that can't pass 3D video for the audio?

If so, go into Setup > Video Setup > 3D Setting and set Blank HDMI 2 to YES.

What you are describing can happen with an AVR which can not accept 3D video but fails to publish that properly during the HDMI handshake. This setting was added specifically to work around that problem in such AVRs.

-----------------------------------

The player locking up on power up is certainly not normal. It can be caused by external problems such as a faulty HDMI cable or by problems in your network configuration external to the player. I would suggest that even if the setting above fixes your problem with audio on 3D discs, you should STILL get in touch with OPPO Tech Support and see if they can help you isolate/fix what's causing your power up problem. If it's not an external problem your player definitely needs service. As I said, what you are reporting regarding "regularly" locking up on power up is not normal.
--Bob
Bob thanks for the suggestion but it did not work. You are correct that I have an older AVR so I'm using both HDMI outputs from the Oppo. I was really hoping your idea would work. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I will contact Oppo to see what they have to say. This just started happening so up to now I haven't had a problem with 3D blu rays. If I thought a new AVR would fix the problem I would go that route.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ OK, next suggestion: If you also have HDMI running from the back of the AVR to the Display try temporarily disconnecting that -- unplug it at one end or the other.

If THAT fixes the problem then what's going on is likely that the display is keeping that HDMI input (from the AVR) live even when it isn't selected for viewing. This gives HDMI copy protection fits because the HDMI signal is reaching the display on two different inputs at the same time.

Often this can be fixed by either using an input on the display which does not support Audio Return Channel (ARC) or by disabling HDMI CEC (remote control via the HDMI cable) in both the display and the AVR. These are things which make the display keep its non-selected input "live".
--Bob

Old 01-12-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
^ OK, next suggestion: If you also have HDMI running from the back of the AVR to the Display try temporarily disconnecting that -- unplug it at one end or the other.

If THAT fixes the problem then what's going on is likely that the display is keeping that HDMI input (from the AVR) live even when it isn't selected for viewing. This gives HDMI copy protection fits because the HDMI signal is reaching the display on two different inputs at the same time.

Often this can be fixed by either using an input on the display which does not support Audio Return Channel (ARC) or by disabling HDMI CEC (remote control via the HDMI cable) in both the display and the AVR. These are things which make the display keep its non-selected input "live".
--Bob
Bob, that didn't work either but then I thought about the old saying...when all else fails..reboot. So I unplugged the OPPO and when I plugged it back in, it started working again. Go figure. Any ideas as to what could have been going on that a reboot would fix? I hate to think I'm going to have to keep doing that but we'll see if it does it again. Thanks for all your suggestions. I know the OPPO is a good player, it just seems that a $500 blu ray player should not be having these problems. I appreciate your help, Bob.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:33 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsorgi View Post
Bob, that didn't work either but then I thought about the old saying...when all else fails..reboot. So I unplugged the OPPO and when I plugged it back in, it started working again. Go figure. Any ideas as to what could have been going on that a reboot would fix? I hate to think I'm going to have to keep doing that but we'll see if it does it again. Thanks for all your suggestions. I know the OPPO is a good player, it just seems that a $500 blu ray player should not be having these problems. I appreciate your help, Bob.
It sounds like you may have the Oppo configured for Quick Start rather Energy Efficient mode. Energy Efficient mode shuts the player down more completely each time you turn it off, while Quick Start keeps more things running all the time at the cost of drawing more power when it's in standby. Other than faster boot-up times (and keeping a MHL Roku Streaming Stick powered all the time, if you use one), Quick Start is really only needed if you want to power the player on with the Oppo Media Control app on a mobile device (as the network functionality on the player gets shut down when the player is powered off in Energy Efficient mode).

So long story short, switching to Energy Efficient mode, if you're not already using it, might be the solution for the problem you're having.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc