Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum
First ... 74  75  76 77  78  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 09:24 PM 11-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post

I've been using my BDP-103 pretty solidly for the last 2 days. There are certainly some bugs to iron out. I've had several freezes, with a very difficult time playing FLAC files from an NTFS 2TB USB HDD. The biggest issue is going from a 24 bit file back to a 16 bit file. This always results in a freeze and a manual power down is required. On most occasions, after playing some FLAC files within one folder and navigating to another folder, the Oppo will freeze when attempting to play the new file from the new folder location. If it doesn't freeze, it begins all files several minutes in, and this does not stop. Every FLAC file played thereafter will start 1,2,3, as much as 4 minutes in. This doesn't go away until the player is manually restarted.
I hope they can spend some time improving the USB file browsing/playback functionality. It's an incredible feature to have!

there's something going on here not related to the player's support of FLAC. I happen to have a folder full of FLAC test files in every possible flavor, bit depth and sample rate. the Oppo plays through them flawlessly, as it does when skipping from folder to folder and playing different types. My initial impression is probably that you are seeing random issues and attributing it to whatever you happen to be doing at the time. If you have more than a couple thousand files on that HDD, allow the player to open the drive and sit for a minute or 2 before browsing and playing, that will allow a full indexing of the drive. Avoid rapidly jumping from one file to another.

As a test, move some of those same files to a different drive or thumbdrive and try them again.

rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 09:26 PM 11-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

I apologize if this question has been answered before. I have an Onkyo 805 which is only HDMI 1.3 compatible. I know I need to use the dual HDMI outputs of the Oppo in order to playback 3D, but I also want to use the analog inputs for the audio rather than digital through HDMI. How would I have to hook up the cables to make this work? My display will be a projector. Thanks!

There isn't any compelling reason to use analog over HDMI for audio in your situation. The multichannel analog input on your AVR will bypass any EQ and room corrections, which is generally not a good idea.
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 09:28 PM 11-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

Played my first (and so far only) Blu Ray disk on the 103 .... It was a Netflix rental disk of Prometheus and about 17-18 minutes in the player hung. Ejected the disk and inspected the surface and there were no scratches or bleminshes. Restarting at the hung point with no issues.... about 48-49 minutes in the same thing but instead of ejecting I just forwarded a few minutes and hit play again. Played fine. Backed up to the spot and it played fine from there with no other hangs. Weird... Will try a "store bought" disk and see how it handles that....
Have not had much time to try another title yet; been using the Netflx streaming and Pandora some and both services have been good....

This is classic "damaged disc" behavior. The player appears to be frozen but it's really just VERY slow at trying to find the next readable sector on the disc. A thorough cleaning of the disc is called for regardless of what it looks like.
SED <--- Rules's Avatar SED <--- Rules 11:30 PM 11-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

There isn't any compelling reason to use analog over HDMI for audio in your situation. The multichannel analog input on your AVR will bypass any EQ and room corrections, which is generally not a good idea.

So are you saying that if I do my usual Audessy EQ setup on the Onkyo and then use the mutilchannel analog inputs for sound, the receiver will essentially ignore the Audessy and output sound that is not correct for my room? If so, then I'll have to use HDMI then. The only reason I want to use analog for sound is a lot of people here believe it sounds better than digital. Also, I read that Oppo has improved their DAC on the 103 and made the sound "warmer". I wanted to see if the analog sounds better in my situation....
skriefal's Avatar skriefal 11:33 PM 11-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post

I've been using my BDP-103 pretty solidly for the last 2 days. There are certainly some bugs to iron out. I've had several freezes, with a very difficult time playing FLAC files from an NTFS 2TB USB HDD. The biggest issue is going from a 24 bit file back to a 16 bit file. This always results in a freeze and a manual power down is required. On most occasions, after playing some FLAC files within one folder and navigating to another folder, the Oppo will freeze when attempting to play the new file from the new folder location. If it doesn't freeze, it begins all files several minutes in, and this does not stop. Every FLAC file played thereafter will start 1,2,3, as much as 4 minutes in. This doesn't go away until the player is manually restarted.

I've encountered the same issue with FLAC files, where they'll start playing from a point a minute or more into the file. I didn't record exactly what I was doing at any of the (few) times that I've encountered it. It's quite possible that this occurred after moving between a 24-bit and a 16-bit file.
videoluvr's Avatar videoluvr 01:21 AM 11-19-2012
I ran into an interesting problem/feature playing videos from a DLNA server on the BDP-103. I watched a video then hit the "home" key on the remote before shutting off the player. In the interim I added several titles to my media server. Note that having jumped home, when I selected the network icon again from the home screen I ended up directly back in my DLNA video list. When I tried to play another video from the list, the wrong video played (typically the next video in the list, or was it the previous - I forget).

Backing out of the DLNA server using the "return" key on the remote, then re-selecting the directory containing the videos fixed the problem (I may have power cycled after backing out). In the past I've always "backed out" of the media server before powering down and had no issue. It appears that the 103 is remembering the DLNA directory list when using the "home" button to jump back home instead of using the "return" key to back out of the server, then any changes to the list on the server cause the wrong video to be selected (I'm guessing).

So...

1. Should the player remember my previous server/directory selection when I select the network icon from the home screen if I jumped home from the video list during the previous use, or should the 103 make me select the server and walk the directories each time?

2. If the player does remember my previous media server selection and directory (considering the circumstances above), should it re-index the directory each time or just remember the previous list as it appears to be doing now?

I hope I explained this correctly
Sidetracked's Avatar Sidetracked 02:43 AM 11-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

I need a little help. I have an Elite 150fd, a Toshiba HD-A35 HD DVD player, and a Panasonic DMP-BD65 Blu Ray player. I use the A35 for DVDs as the Panasonic has horrible up-conversion video processing. From a Blu Ray player, I just need the basics. For DVDs, I'd like something that does a great job in delivering a clean, smooth picture in HD. Would the OPPO BDP-83 be better at this than the BDP-103? If the BDP-103 is better, are there any settings I should keep in mind for when I get one? If anyone could direct me to any posts, articles, etc... or offer any advice, I would be very grateful.

I'm one of those that like the old ABT on the 83 (and 983) very slightly better. I'm a filmmaker, and many pages back I wrote about comparing my own work, where I helped master the DVDs
and know exactly the intent, and found the 983/83 slightly more accurate to the original. That said both outputs on the 103 also looked excellent, and if I wasn't running the same scenes
through each option, staring at tiny details, who knows if I would have noticed. And if I didn't know what the film was 'supposed' to look like I would have found all 3 images excellent.

The HDMI 2 on the 103 was a bit closer in look to the ABT than the QDEO in HDMI 1, if not quite as good as the ABT with the finest detais. The QDEO seemed to add a little contrast.
It actually made for an initially more pleasing, eye catching picture, but some detail in dark areas got lost. It also occasionally added a little extra warmth beyond the original.

But you're talking very small differences, and that was on my particular 103, playing through my particular Pioneer Kuro. You won't go far wrong whatever you choose. But if you're
OCD for accuracy like me, I think the ABT wins out by a tiny margin (my solution - I use the 983 and 83 for DVDs, and the 103 for blu-ray and streaming for the speed, multiple options,
etc.)
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 03:26 AM 11-19-2012
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

So are you saying that if I do my usual Audessy EQ setup on the Onkyo and then use the mutilchannel analog inputs for sound, the receiver will essentially ignore the Audessy and output sound that is not correct for my room?
That is correct. Multichannel analog audio inputs are not digitized. They're passed directly to the receiver's analog amplifiers. As a result, neither Audyssey nor bass management can be applied by the receiver.
Quote:
If so, then I'll have to use HDMI then.
That also is correct.
Quote:
The only reason I want to use analog for sound is a lot of people here believe it sounds better than digital.
Beliefs are not always correct.
Quote:
Also, I read that Oppo has improved their DAC on the 103 and made the sound "warmer". I wanted to see if the analog sounds better in my situation....
The sounds which people prefer are not always the sounds which the recording mixer intended you to hear.

Some people prefer not to apply any digital processing which is not really needed. This prejudice is reasonable if you have an accurate speaker system in a high-quality listening environment -- a room with appropriate audio treatments. Most of us are not so lucky, and digital room EQ makes a significant improvement in the accuracy of the sound provided by our home entertainment equipment.
Ali is mental's Avatar Ali is mental 05:17 AM 11-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

That is correct. Multichannel analog audio inputs are not digitized. They're passed directly to the receiver's analog amplifiers. As a result, neither Audyssey nor bass management can be applied by the receiver. That also is correct. Beliefs are not always correct. The sounds which people prefer are not always the sounds which the recording mixer intended you to hear.
Some people prefer not to apply any digital processing which is not really needed. This prejudice is reasonable if you have an accurate speaker system in a high-quality listening environment -- a room with appropriate audio treatments. Most of us are not so lucky, and digital room EQ makes a significant improvement in the accuracy of the sound provided by our home entertainment equipment.

It should be noted that bass management is provided in the 103. Nothing like Audyssey, but at least distance settings, speaker size etc.
purplerain84's Avatar purplerain84 07:25 AM 11-19-2012
Picked up my Oppo yesterday and set everything up. So far I'm very impressed. It's my first Oppo and I really like how solid it looks and feels

I'm using it with a 1.3 Denon reciever and Pro8200 projector on a 92 inch screen.

I connected one hdmi cable from the player to the reciever and another cable from projector to reciever

Is this the rightset up for maximum audio/video?

Cheers!
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 07:28 AM 11-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain84 View Post

Picked up my Oppo yesterday and set everything up. So far I'm very impressed. It's my first Oppo and I really like how solid it looks and feels

I'm using it with a 1.3 Denon reciever and Pro8200 projector on a 92 inch screen.

I connected one hdmi cable from the player to the reciever and another cable from projector to reciever

Is this the rightset up for maximum audio/video?

Cheers!

Welcome to AVSForum.

You have maximum audio/audio.

-Bill
gsr's Avatar gsr 07:48 AM 11-19-2012
Quote:

So are you saying that if I do my usual Audessy EQ setup on the Onkyo and then use the mutilchannel analog inputs for sound, the receiver will essentially ignore the Audessy and output sound that is not correct for my room? If so, then I'll have to use HDMI then. The only reason I want to use analog for sound is a lot of people here believe it sounds better than digital. Also, I read that Oppo has improved their DAC on the 103 and made the sound "warmer". I wanted to see if the analog sounds better in my situation....
User Selden Ball already answered most of this for you, but keep in mind that Audyssey can only work with a digital signal. So for it to work with an analog signal, it would need to be converted BACK to digital in the receiver, have Audyssey processing applied, and then be converted back to analog in the receiver to be sent to the amps. Most receivers don't allow multichannel inputs to be converted to digital, but even for those that do, it makes more sense to send a digital signal to the receiver if you want Audyssey processing applied to it to avoid extra analog to digital and digital to analog conversions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post

It should be noted that bass management is provided in the 103. Nothing like Audyssey, but at least distance settings, speaker size etc.
Bass management and Audyssey are really 2 completely different things. Part of the automatic Audyssey calibration process takes care of setting speaker sizes and distances for you, but Audyssey is really about the room EQ functionality.
IanD's Avatar IanD 07:49 AM 11-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlight View Post

I would like to find a codec I can transcode to that won't blow up the file size too much and be as close to lossless as possible, totally lossless preferred. What would be a good format/codec to transcode my dvsd files to for use in the BDP103?

DV is an older interlaced lossy codec for SD resolution material, compressing to about 13GB/hour with stereo PCM audio. In comparison, mpeg2 at high quality compresses to about 4GB/hour and xvid to about 1.5GB/hour. No matter what codec you use, the resulting file sizes will be smaller than the DV ones for equivalent quality.

Since DV is already lossy, you won't lose much if anything by transcoding to another lossy codec, especially since the newer codecs (eg xvid, H.264) are more efficient and compress into a smaller space for similar quality.

The main problem is that DV is interlaced and the newer codecs generally progressive, so de-interlacing must be performed and depending on how well this is done might affect the end result. I'm not familiar enough with the newer codecs to know whether they can be interlaced, although I expect it is a possibility. Mpeg2 definitely can be interlaced.

If you were playing back through a device with good de-interlacing, one of the options might be to encode as interlaced and let the player work its magic.

Many DVD Recorders were capable of inputting DV via firewire and writing out to DVD.

One of the peculiarities of 720x480i60 DV is that chroma resolution is only 1/4 in the horizontal direction, which can lead to colour bleeding.

Try a few different encodes and see which looks best on the Oppo 103. H.264 with FLAC audio in mkv might be a compact solution: at least the audio would be lossless.

It's a shame the Oppo models don't handle DV natively.
purplerain84's Avatar purplerain84 08:43 AM 11-19-2012
Thanks Bill smile.gif
SomethingMore's Avatar SomethingMore 09:41 AM 11-19-2012
One slightly annoying thing I've found with the 103 (and I'm guessing previous models did this too)...
If I have a disc in the loader when it is off, and turn the player on, it will always start running the disc and I have to press the Home button to get back to the main screen. Is there any way to disable this? I looked through the menu and turned off the auto play option, but that didn't help. Does Oppo plan to make this possible? I guess I can just press Eject instead of Power to turn it on to avoid this, but I want to avoid unnecessary mechanical action if I can.
BobearQSI's Avatar BobearQSI 10:16 AM 11-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgy View Post

I'm looking into getting the 103. The HDMI inputs have me intrigued. Currently I am setup with Dish Network and am running it via hdmi through Onkyo 805 AVR then on to tv. It sounds like its possible to connect a dish or direct tv receiver to the 103. I would be using the split hdmi 103 option. Does anybody have it setup like this? Is there significant picture quality improvement with Dish Network or even Direct TV when connected this way?

I have Dish Network, and their receivers (unlike Direct TV) do not allow any sort of passthough or native setting. You get one choice for output. Assuming you set your output to 1080, your Dish Network box will upscale all SD content and 720p content (poorly, IMO) to 1080i, and then send that out. The question from there is whether your TV or the Oppo does a better job of de-interlacing the 1080i into 1080p. But likely, upscaled SD content will already be poor quality, and you wouldn't know the difference. For material that is already 1080i (most HD channels), it will be output normally. I can't imagine a straight TV 1080i signal to 1080p would show much difference if the Oppo does it or your TV, but you'd have to see what other people say about your TV.
Sam1000's Avatar Sam1000 11:08 AM 11-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by englechgc View Post

I just bought the 93 a few months ago. My new favorite player is the Sony S790, which seems to upscale better. Curious to know how the 103 stacks up against the Sony for DVD upconversion.1.gif
That's interesting. I have Sony 780 and I was planning to get either 103 or 105. You think your 790 does better up-scaling than 93? (Both 780 and 790 has super bit mapping)
HDPERSON's Avatar HDPERSON 11:20 AM 11-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post

That's interesting. I have Sony 780 and I was planning to get either 103 or 105. You think your 790 does better up-scaling than 93? (Both 780 and 790 has super bit mapping)

I agree with that statement also.
Doug Blackburn's Avatar Doug Blackburn 11:21 AM 11-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

Played my first (and so far only) Blu Ray disk on the 103 .... It was a Netflix rental disk of Prometheus and about 17-18 minutes in the player hung. Ejected the disk and inspected the surface and there were no scratches or bleminshes. Restarting at the hung point with no issues.... about 48-49 minutes in the same thing but instead of ejecting I just forwarded a few minutes and hit play again. Played fine. Backed up to the spot and it played fine from there with no other hangs. Weird... Will try a "store bought" disk and see how it handles that....
Have not had much time to try another title yet; been using the Netflx streaming and Pandora some and both services have been good....

When you get performance like that, clean the disc, even if it doesn't look obviously dirty. I wet the disc, squirt a little soft-soap (from a pump dispenser) onto my finger, and use the tiny blob of the soap (and more water) to clean the data side of the disc. Dry with a clean terry cloth or microfiber towel.

Another potential fix is to just open the drawer and close it again to re-seat the disc on the spindle... that can sometimes remove a slight eccentricity or tilt of the disc that makes it difficult for the tracking or focus servos to keep up with the corrections.
Regnad's Avatar Regnad 11:52 AM 11-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

When you have the player set to Split A/V, then HDMI 1 will be effectively mute while HDMI 2 will be high resolution, high bandwidth audio.

Thanks for the reply.

I do have the player set to Split A/V. The first OPPO info screen shows 24bit, 96k but the second (after page-down), shows that HDMI2 is set to 48k. This means that there is a handshake issue and the OPPO is downsampling, right?

In the Sterephile review of the NAD M51, they play hi-res files using an OPPO.

Thanks again for any advice, I have contacted NAD as well...
Neuromancer's Avatar Neuromancer 12:22 PM 11-19-2012
If you are getting 48KHz then there has been a handshaking failure. Try disconnecting the HDMI cable between the receiver and the television and see if the same errors occur.

Also ensure that HDMI 1 is direct to the display and HDMI 2 is direct to the receiver (not the reverse).
Regnad's Avatar Regnad 01:25 PM 11-19-2012
HDMI1 is connected to a Marantz AV7005 processor and, through it, to a Pioneer Kuro plasma display.

HDMI2 is connected directly to the M51 DAC.

Thanks
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 01:32 PM 11-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnad View Post

HDMI1 is connected to a Marantz AV7005 processor and, through it, to a Pioneer Kuro plasma display.

HDMI2 is connected directly to the M51 DAC.

Thanks

In the 103, turn Secondary Audio OFF. Also turn DTS Neo:6 surround processing OFF. Check again to be sure Split A/V is set (not Dual Display) -- actually change it to Dual Display and then back to Split A/V. See what you get now on HDMI 2.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 01:36 PM 11-19-2012
Quote:

I just bought the 93 a few months ago. My new favorite player is the Sony S790, which seems to upscale better. Curious to know how the 103 stacks up against the Sony for DVD upconversion.1.gif

The 103/105 are definitely better than the 93/95 for SD-DVD upscaling. I don't have a Sony S790, so I can't comment on that comparison.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 01:41 PM 11-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post

One slightly annoying thing I've found with the 103 (and I'm guessing previous models did this too)...
If I have a disc in the loader when it is off, and turn the player on, it will always start running the disc and I have to press the Home button to get back to the main screen. Is there any way to disable this? I looked through the menu and turned off the auto play option, but that didn't help. Does Oppo plan to make this possible? I guess I can just press Eject instead of Power to turn it on to avoid this, but I want to avoid unnecessary mechanical action if I can.

There is a Setup setting (Auto Play) which will control this behavior for AUDIO discs but not for movie discs. I've been trying to convince OPPO for some time now that they ought to add an additional setting here for movie discs, but their past history with customer comments/confusion on this has convinced them that movie discs really should Auto Play ALL the time. Send OPPO an email.

For now, the workaround is as you've stated. Use Tray Open to both power on the player and open the tray so the disc does not start.

If you forget, the Home button is the first button that will respond to abort a disc loading that's already in progress. (Disc's are typically authored to prevent other buttons, like Stop, from working while the disc is putting up initial warning screens and studio logos.)
--Bob
JohnAV's Avatar JohnAV 01:51 PM 11-19-2012
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Network, 3D Blu-ray Player Reviewed

HomeTheaterReview.com

Andrew Robinson,November 19, 2012
Quote:
Conclusion
What's left to say about the Oppo's new BDP-103 universal Blu-ray player, except that it is currently the universal disc spinner to have and the one to beat and the fact that it doesn't cost you an arm, leg and kidney is just icing on the cake. There isn't anything this mighty player can't really do outside of a few missing formats, mainly ISO, and true UltraHD compatibility. Beyond that, the BDP-103 is all the player you need and then some. It's even an AV preamp, if you wish to get technical. So rather than hype it up more than I already have, let me just say that if you're in the market for a new state-of-the-art universal and network-connected Blu-ray player, then the only option worth considering at this time is the $499 Oppo BDP-103. It's simply amazing.

bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi 01:53 PM 11-19-2012
Quote:

I have a Sony BDP-S790 that I also prefer over the BDP-93, but the improvement was subtle. The picture (DVD) just looks a little cleaner. However, I preferred the BDP-93 for blu-ray playback,smile.gif Now, I prefer the BDP-103 over Sony for DVD playback as the BDP-103 is much improved over the BDP-93 IMO as I spend more time with it.smile.gif
Verners's Avatar Verners 02:40 PM 11-19-2012
Hi.

Does anyone know of an online shop where i can order the BDP-103 in Europe (EU)?
I ordered the 93 from opposhop.eu, but it seems to be under maintenance forever.

Thanks in advance.
mantaraydesign's Avatar mantaraydesign 02:42 PM 11-19-2012
What is the best calibration for best picture quality of the 103? The best calibration for both DVD and Blu-ray.

Maybe someone can create a new thread on the Calibration of the 103 for best picture performance.
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 02:43 PM 11-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

What is the best calibration for best picture quality of the 103? The best calibration for both DVD and Blu-ray.

Maybe someone can create a new thread on the Calibration of the 103 for best picture performance.

The standard advice is to calibrate the display, not the player.

-Bill
Tags: Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc
First ... 74  75  76 77  78  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop