Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 763 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 672Likes

post #22861 of 23354 Old 01-28-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 131
another good option when it comes to hdmi 2.0/hdcp 2.2 compliance are these from MediaBridge; they are similar in price to monoprice stuff, and they work flawlessly on all my 2.0./2.2/4k/uhd components...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22862 of 23354 Old 01-28-2016, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to jeroensky
About HDMI cables.

It's not like analog, so don't follow the bull that it needs golden contacts and so on.
Just look at the version if HDMI, and how the cable is shielded (protected from interference from outside). The version is a indicator what the cable supports of kind of signals. If you need to make long distances, then use HDMI -> 2x ethernet & 2x ethernet-> HDMI adapters.(be sure it supports hdmi1.4)
Here more info at wikipedia.
For Oppo BDP103 you need minimal version 1.4 cables, because the HDMI bus on the player is version 1.4 (see the 'note' on page 11)

Last edited by jeroensky; 01-28-2016 at 01:28 PM.
post #22863 of 23354 Old 01-28-2016, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
7.1 analog output

Has anyone compared the multi channel analog output of Oppo 103 and 93?
I bought 103D last week and moved the 93 to the living room.Set up the new 103 in my projector room.HDMI and 7.1 analog to my preamp. Use HDMI for movies and 7.1 analog when I listen to my DVD-Audio,SACD and Blu ray Audio collection.
Video quality is a step up from 93,but for some reason,sound levels of both Hdmi and analog are more quiet.Checked the levels with Radio shack meter and they are almost 4 db lower.
Made sure the volume is at %100,set dynamic range to off,when
measuring Hdmi input I tried both LPCM and Bitstream.
Initially I thought that I was doing it wrong but swapped the players and yes, the 93 has hotter audio levels.Strange

post #22864 of 23354 Old 01-29-2016, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osogovo View Post
Has anyone compared the multi channel analog output of Oppo 103 and 93?
I bought 103D last week and moved the 93 to the living room.Set up the new 103 in my projector room.HDMI and 7.1 analog to my preamp. Use HDMI for movies and 7.1 analog when I listen to my DVD-Audio,SACD and Blu ray Audio collection.
Video quality is a step up from 93,but for some reason,sound levels of both Hdmi and analog are more quiet.Checked the levels with Radio shack meter and they are almost 4 db lower.
Made sure the volume is at %100,set dynamic range to off,when
measuring Hdmi input I tried both LPCM and Bitstream.
Initially I thought that I was doing it wrong but swapped the players and yes, the 93 has hotter audio levels.Strange
I read somewhere that BDP103 has better analog output hardware design. If i remember right, Oppo asked the designer of BDP93 analog audio upgrade modules to improve analog audio design on BDP103.

For me (i didn't measure it, because i'm satisfied with the 5.1 analog output that i use here) the 4DB lower means, 4DB more dynamic headroom. I mean it's not the BDP103 that amplifies, it's the amplifier that has the job to amplify.
post #22865 of 23354 Old 01-29-2016, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i have flac files on my laptop windows 10 connected to the same network as the Oppo, can someone point me to a how to site in order to get these files accessible.

right now it finds my network but asks for username and password, i'm not sure what username and password it is looking for.

likely have to setup file sharing.

sorry if these questions are basic, i'm not that savvy when it comes to networking.

Thanks

Panasonic 60PU54
Anthem MRX510
Oppo 103
SVS Prime Towers, Prime Centre, SB-2000 sub
Shaw HDPVR-630
PS3
post #22866 of 23354 Old 01-29-2016, 02:37 PM

i have flac files on my laptop windows 10 connected to the same network as the Oppo, can someone point me to a how to site in order to get these files accessible.

right now it finds my network but asks for username and password, i'm not sure what username and password it is looking for.

sorry if these questions are basic, i'm not that savvy when it comes to networking.

Thanks

Panasonic 60PU54
Anthem MRX510
Oppo 103
Shaw HDPVR-630
PS3
post #22867 of 23354 Old 01-29-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcugk View Post

Thanks
This method is called SMB shares: In File Explorer, right click on the name of the directory in which your files are stored. Click Properties, then Sharing--adjust the various settings to allow file sharing. It's probably a good idea to reboot the PC. Then go into Network on the Oppo and you should see your PC. It might take a few minutes for your machine to show up on the Oppo in the list of available servers. Click on your PC's name, choose Music, navigate to the directory (folder) where your flac files are, then you should be able to choose a file and play it. If you keep getting asked for a password, try turning off your firewall on the PC--if you can login after doing that, then the problem lies with your firewall program blocking access to those files. There may be settings you can change in the firewall program to make this work.

As an alternative, Oppo recommends that you use a freeware server called oShare: http://sourceforge.net/projects/oshare/

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #22868 of 23354 Old 01-29-2016, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is there any way to disable auto play of the next video file, when playing content from USB drives and SMB shares?
post #22869 of 23354 Old 01-30-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
This method is called SMB shares: In File Explorer, right click on the name of the directory in which your files are stored. Click Properties, then Sharing--adjust the various settings to allow file sharing. It's probably a good idea to reboot the PC. Then go into Network on the Oppo and you should see your PC. It might take a few minutes for your machine to show up on the Oppo in the list of available servers. Click on your PC's name, choose Music, navigate to the directory (folder) where your flac files are, then you should be able to choose a file and play it. If you keep getting asked for a password, try turning off your firewall on the PC--if you can login after doing that, then the problem lies with your firewall program blocking access to those files. There may be settings you can change in the firewall program to make this work.

As an alternative, Oppo recommends that you use a freeware server called oShare: http://sourceforge.net/projects/oshare/
And don't forget username + password and default smb domain name 'WORKGROUP'.

Why only oshare as dlna server, if you can choose many more.

Last edited by jeroensky; 01-30-2016 at 09:11 AM.
post #22870 of 23354 Old 01-30-2016, 08:21 AM

thanks pbarach

couldn't get windows to work but oshare is working.

jeroensky, so the username and password under the windows sharing is WORKGROUP?

Panasonic 60PU54
Anthem MRX510
Oppo 103
Shaw HDPVR-630
PS3
post #22871 of 23354 Old 01-30-2016, 08:23 AM

thanks for all the help, i couldn't get windows sharing to work but oshare works great.

just to confirm is WORKGROUP the username and password under the windows sharing?

Panasonic 60PU54
Anthem MRX510
Oppo 103
Shaw HDPVR-630
PS3
post #22872 of 23354 Old 01-30-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:

jeroensky, so the username and password under the windows sharing is WORKGROUP?

No WORKGROUP is the default samba domain name that oppo player uses, and that windows uses.
If you want to play SMB share in vlc for example then you must type as domain name WORKGROUP.
Username and password is up to you. You configure that on the smb server where you share the files, and you must use the same username and password and domain on the clients/players.

Last edited by jeroensky; 01-30-2016 at 09:10 AM.
post #22873 of 23354 Old 01-30-2016, 09:33 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroensky View Post
And don't forget username + password and default smb domain name 'WORKGROUP'.
The default smb domain name really has nothing to do with the Oppo, it's just a default name that Windows happens to use.

(the next section isn't directed at jeroensky specifically...)

Some of the information in the various posts above about getting SMB working in Windows is incomplete, especially in regards to figuring out what username and password to use. In recent versions of Windows, you need to do (at least...) 2 things to get SMB shares working.

1) Enable sharing for the folder you want access to. For this, go to Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder you want to share. Then right click on that folder name and select Properties. Next, select the Sharing tab. At that point, I would tend to recommend the Advance Sharing option, as it gives you more control over who has access to the share. You can either give Share access to specific users, user groups, or to the "everyone" user which would allow anyone on the local network to access the share.

2) Next, Security needs to be configured on the folder. From the same Properties dialog, select the Security tab. In there, give permission to the specific users, user groups, or the "everyone" user.

When you access the share and the Oppo prompts you for the username and password, use one of the usernames you gave access to the share in both the Share AND Security tabs and the appropriate password for that user. If you gave access in BOTH places to the "everyone" user, just leave the username and password blank.

I said "at least..." above, because this assumes that you already have file and folder sharing enabled in Windows. If not, you need to do that first. And also keep in mind that sometimes some combination of reboots and 4 letter words is required to get it to actually work. If it's being stubborn, using a DLNA server is likely to be easier, just use something other than what Windows includes as the default - pretty much anything else will be better.

And keep in mind that though giving access to the "everyone" user is convenient, it's also less secure than giving access to specific users. So factor in who has access to your home network and whether you want everyone who has access to be able to read, copy, and potentially delete (depending on what permissions you set) your files.

Quote:
The oShare recommendation is generally given as a good starting point because it's a dead simple DLNA server with pretty much no configuration required and it works well, so it should be easy enough for just about anybody to get working.
post #22874 of 23354 Old 01-30-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
And also keep in mind that sometimes some combination of reboots and 4 letter words is required to get it to actually work. If it's being stubborn, using a DLNA server is likely to be easier, just use something other than what Windows includes as the default - pretty much anything else will be better.

And keep in mind that though giving access to the "everyone" user is convenient, it's also less secure than giving access to specific users. So factor in who has access to your home network and whether you want everyone who has access to be able to read, copy, and potentially delete (depending on what permissions you set) your files.

The oShare recommendation is generally given as a good starting point because it's a dead simple DLNA server with pretty much no configuration required and it works well, so it should be easy enough for just about anybody to get working.
Keep in mind, the gapless audio playback of audio files with same extension in directory only works over network with SMB/Samba, and not with DLNA.
So gapless playback comes with 4 letter words ... when using windows as Samba server. If you use a Linux or BSD driven device (like any NAS device) then their is no need to say the F... words
post #22875 of 23354 Old 01-31-2016, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Thanks
I just got a new BDP-103, after years of owning a BDP-83. Got the new one mostly for its networking capacity and the fact that it plays most lossless files. Since most of my library is in ALAC, AIIF & FLAC, I really wanted that capacity.
So, I received the player and as recommended, installed the O'Share media server in my pc. Guess what. Did not work properly. Tried PLEX, UMS and others. Same result. So I got a return authorization. I did not want this thing if it could not read the contents of my music library and of course play them correctly.
On a whim, I installed the UpnP/DLNA component on the foobar2000 music player I have been using for about a year. ALL PROBLEM SOLVED. I am not returning the thing, decided to keep it because it now, with foobar as music server, works perfectly.
So, my suggestion is:
Install foobar2000. It is free. Install the UpnP/DLNA component that allows it to work as a MUSIC server.
BTW, if you have sacd's, also install the component for that. Foobar & all the components are free, by the way.
Also: Foobar is for music only. You can use O'Share for videos and pictures, it works fairly well for that.
AFM

PS: Make sure your media is organized correctly from the top down: All music in one folder so labeled, all videos in another one etc. And the contents of each type of media folder also organized by folders within. It is relatively straightforward and information on how to do it is easily found. If you use ITunes too, it tends to screw up your organization. I started using foobar because of the well known propensity of ITunes to sometimes work in (what is to me) in random, unpredictable ways. Also, foobar plays every type of music file.
All the other stuff on the player works flawlessly. I particularly like how Netflix and Pandora operate through it.
post #22876 of 23354 Old 01-31-2016, 01:19 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:

Thanks
I just got a new BDP-103, after years of owning a BDP-83. Got the new one mostly for its networking capacity and the fact that it plays most lossless files. Since most of my library is in ALAC, AIIF & FLAC, I really wanted that capacity.
So, I received the player and as recommended, installed the O'Share media server in my pc. Guess what. Did not work properly. Tried PLEX, UMS and others. Same result. So I got a return authorization. I did not want this thing if it could not read the contents of my music library and of course play them correctly.
On a whim, I installed the UpnP/DLNA component on the foobar2000 music player I have been using for about a year. ALL PROBLEM SOLVED. I am not returning the thing, decided to keep it because it now, with foobar as music server, works perfectly.
So, my suggestion is:
Install foobar2000. It is free. Install the UpnP/DLNA component that allows it to work as a MUSIC server.
BTW, if you have sacd's, also install the component for that. Foobar & all the components are free, by the way.
Also: Foobar is for music only. You can use O'Share for videos and pictures, it works fairly well for that.
AFM

PS: Make sure your media is organized correctly from the top down: All music in one folder so labeled, all videos in another one etc. And the contents of each type of media folder also organized by folders within. It is relatively straightforward and information on how to do it is easily found. If you use ITunes too, it tends to screw up your organization. I started using foobar because of the well known propensity of ITunes to sometimes work in (what is to me) in random, unpredictable ways. Also, foobar plays every type of music file.
All the other stuff on the player works flawlessly. I particularly like how Netflix and Pandora operate through it.

Last edited by Gato340; 01-31-2016 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Additional information: I am not sure if foobar works with Windows 10. Easy to check.
post #22877 of 23354 Old 02-01-2016, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Right, there are certainly many others; I mentioned oshare as the server that Oppo recommends, perhaps because it's free and (in Oppo's words) "simple."

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #22878 of 23354 Old 02-01-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato340 View Post
So, my suggestion is:
AFM

I installed oshare and it worked flawlessly the first time, i had no success with Windows sharing even after selecting "everyone" under sharing and security!

Panasonic 60PU54
Anthem MRX510
Oppo 103
Shaw HDPVR-630
PS3
post #22879 of 23354 Old 02-01-2016, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Is there a list of suggested settings for the 103?
post #22880 of 23354 Old 02-01-2016, 06:42 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
Is there a list of suggested settings for the 103?
The manual has a big section on audio settings for different configurations.

The FAQ has this: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #22881 of 23354 Old 02-01-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Right, there are certainly many others; I mentioned oshare as the server that Oppo recommends, perhaps because it's free and (in Oppo's words) "simple."
not just simple -- but frankly flawless and painless. Install and it "just works" every time.
post #22882 of 23354 Old 02-01-2016, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post
not just simple -- but frankly flawless and painless. Install and it "just works" every time.
Actually, oshare did not work flawlessly on my PC--at times it shows directories as empty when they are loaded with audio files. There are also times when Norton Internet Security blocks it--not oshare's fault, but still a not-simple complication.

post #22883 of 23354 Old 02-02-2016, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Actually, oshare did not work flawlessly on my PC--at times it shows directories as empty when they are loaded with audio files. There are also times when Norton Internet Security blocks it--not oshare's fault, but still a not-simple complication.
You should be able to set up an exclusion in Norton so that it won't block oshare.

post #22884 of 23354 Old 02-02-2016, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
I had the same experience, but not with Norton.

oShare was fairly barebones and was flat-out missing folders, even though they were all sitting in one directory.

I do have a 10,000+ album collection, which causes problems for lots of media servers.

But I abandoned oShare in favor of Plex Media Server and the DLNA server built in to my Synology NAS.

Media Room: Epson 5030 / Pioneer VSX-822 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
House Audio: Onkyo NR-709 & Monoprice in-wall speakers
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC:Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #22885 of 23354 Old 02-02-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
and the DLNA server built in to my Synology NAS.
Check if the NAS has support for Samba/SMB.
If so disable DLNA, enable Samba. Then you have gapless playback support.
ckronengold likes this.

_-<OPPO-BDP103eu~DarbeeEdition~Multi-region/zone>-_
post #22886 of 23354 Old 02-02-2016, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hidden Features

DVD-Audio discs have a "Direct Play" feature. After loading the disc, pressing Stop followed by Play on the remote will directly access the first Group/Title, bypassing any menu.
This is a quote from the Unofficial OPPO BDP-103 FAQ.
I use that with my 93 a lot,but for some reason it doesn't work with the 103.Tried several Dvd A titles and just don't work.
Anyone noticed that?
Also, my new 103D struggles with Pink Floyd's The Division Bell album.I have the blu ray and high res FLAC 5.1 files and they all just don't sound right.Gilmore'vocal is nearly non existent.Tried all kinds of Hdmi audio settings, the multichannel audio output.The 93 using same settings on the same system, plays them with flying colors.It is true,that this mix doesn't really have lots of info in the center channel,nevertheless sound better on the 93.I don't know if this is an issue with the player or I am not doing something right.BTW all my blu ray audio, dvd audio and sacd albums sound awesome.

post #22887 of 23354 Old 02-02-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Anyone else having issues with Youtube app regarding ads? About half the time when I'm watching a video and an ad comes on and I skip it or let it play, it will freeze the app and the only way out is to hold the power button until the unit shuts off. Any fixes? Will this be addressed in a future firmware update?
post #22888 of 23354 Old 02-04-2016, 06:26 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Set up the player tonight, wow what a brilliant machine!

sound and picture are awesome

The app works great too
Following up on this since you originally asked about improving your satellite picture. I'm considering the 103 largely for the same reason - we're starting to watch more DirectTv in the theater, and the combination of the Genie client box and our Mits HC7800 clearly don't handle interlaced content very well (particularly sports). We're fairly happy with our Sony Blu-ray as it stands, so improving disc playback wouldn't be enough to get me to drop the $$$ on the Oppo, but if it does a decent job cleaning up interlaced content then the other benefits make it an easy decision.

I realize that sports may just be an inherently difficult problem, but any experiences running them through the Oppo would be welcome.
post #22889 of 23354 Old 02-04-2016, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Quote:
I installed oshare and it worked flawlessly the first time, i had no success with Windows sharing even after selecting "everyone" under sharing and security!

Windows works, you have to allow the device to be shared with the oppo. I found where to turn on "Media Share" and it gave me a list of devices including my Oppo and Marantz to allow content. I added my movie folder as an addition of my "My Videos" and it shows perfectly. I did have to put in my windows log in information into the oppo but it works! No extra program sucking up memory while I stream from the PC

Then select All Networks

Then select Choose media streaming options

Make sure you select "All networks" at the top under "Show devices on:"

When you highlight the device and choose allow chose these settings:

Then you can add your movie folder as a "my video folder"

Open "my computer/computer" and right click videos under "Libraries" and choose properties. From here add your location of your movies to the "My Videos" of Windows.

It will then show up on the oppo:

If yours shoes up as media server only for the first time, click on the search magnifying glass twice to search for your computer until it comes back as only the name of you computer.

Select video, then viola:

Files shared without using any extra software.

-Brion

Last edited by bsuave; 02-04-2016 at 06:50 AM.
post #22890 of 23354 Old 02-04-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk123 View Post
Following up on this since you originally asked about improving your satellite picture. I'm considering the 103 largely for the same reason - we're starting to watch more DirectTv in the theater, and the combination of the Genie client box and our Mits HC7800 clearly don't handle interlaced content very well (particularly sports). We're fairly happy with our Sony Blu-ray as it stands, so improving disc playback wouldn't be enough to get me to drop the $$$ on the Oppo, but if it does a decent job cleaning up interlaced content then the other benefits make it an easy decision.

I realize that sports may just be an inherently difficult problem, but any experiences running them through the Oppo would be welcome.
what i have found is that sports watching especially hockey is much improved with the Oppo upscaling and less motion blur on my Panasonic plasma

the best feature on the player is how good the 2 channel audio out is for cd's, i prefer this to the Anthemlogic over HDMI.

Panasonic 60PU54
Anthem MRX510
Oppo 103
Shaw HDPVR-630
PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page