Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 764 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 625Likes

post #22891 of 22911 Old 02-04-2016, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also noted an improvement in my Bell (Dish hardware) satellite picture using HDMI input 1 on the 103 projected onto a basic 100" screen via a BenQ 1070. The Bell box is set to 1080i and the 103 is set to output 1080p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22892 of 22911 Old 02-04-2016, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Perplexed! Could use an assist....

I purchased LCD Soundsystem's Blu-Ray "Shut up and Play the Hits" and have an issue I cannot figure out. It is recorded in DTS-HD Master, of which I have several discs in the same format, but the center channel is COMPLETELY silent during the concert. When the band is talking backstage, dialogue comes out the center as it should. As soon as the concert starts, complete silence on the center channel. I have checked and replaced the HDMI connections and cables, ran "pink noise" through all channels to confirm they are working, tested things out with my other DTS Mastered discs, the signal input showing from my Marantz processor (complete system below) shows all channel active. I even thought I had gotten a defective disc from Amazon so ordered a replacement. Same thing is happening. This Blu-Ray has literally hundreds of great reviews on Amazon and not one says anything about zero sound coming from the center channel. I would greatly appreciate any input or suggestion cuz I am CONFOUNDED!

Marantz 7702MKII Processor
B & K 200.7 Amp and Emotiva XPA-3 Amp
Oppo 103 BDP-Blu-Ray, Monster 5100MKII Power Cond.
Def-Tech Mythos St-L Towers L+R, Def-Tech CD8080-HD Center, Def-Tech SR8080-BP Surrounds (4)
Seaton Submersive F2+ and F2 Slave Subs
post #22893 of 22911 Old 02-04-2016, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASOFO View Post
I purchased LCD Soundsystem's Blu-Ray "Shut up and Play the Hits" and have an issue I cannot figure out. It is recorded in DTS-HD Master, of which I have several discs in the same format, but the center channel is COMPLETELY silent during the concert. When the band is talking backstage, dialogue comes out the center as it should. As soon as the concert starts, complete silence on the center channel. I have checked and replaced the HDMI connections and cables, ran "pink noise" through all channels to confirm they are working, tested things out with my other DTS Mastered discs, the signal input showing from my Marantz processor (complete system below) shows all channel active. I even thought I had gotten a defective disc from Amazon so ordered a replacement. Same thing is happening. This Blu-Ray has literally hundreds of great reviews on Amazon and not one says anything about zero sound coming from the center channel. I would greatly appreciate any input or suggestion cuz I am CONFOUNDED!
Did a couple quick google searches...blu-ray.com doesn't mention the specific absense of center channel, but does say the music comes from the 'front channels'. Then found another forum where several users confirmed this is simply how the disc was mastered. It appears to be intentional.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D, Dune HD Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #22894 of 22911 Old 02-04-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Did a couple quick google searches...blu-ray.com doesn't mention the specific absense of center channel, but does say the music comes from the 'front channels'. Then found another forum where several users confirmed this is simply how the disc was mastered. It appears to be intentional.
Thank you for doing the homework on my issue. I couldn't find anything other that the "front channel" quote you found. That is disappointing that is the way it is mixed but oh well.

Marantz 7702MKII Processor
B & K 200.7 Amp and Emotiva XPA-3 Amp
Oppo 103 BDP-Blu-Ray, Monster 5100MKII Power Cond.
Def-Tech Mythos St-L Towers L+R, Def-Tech CD8080-HD Center, Def-Tech SR8080-BP Surrounds (4)
Seaton Submersive F2+ and F2 Slave Subs
post #22895 of 22911 Old 02-04-2016, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 278
^ The center channel usually is primarily for dialog, but I have seen plenty of discs put more than that in it.
It just all depends on who mixed the sound.
If the original sound was recorded and mastered in 2-channel, then that is what they have ported over onto the disc.
If they were to remix it so that content was in the center channel, it would be an unnatural mix, but could still sound good if done right.
You could do the same thing in your processor though by turning on one of the DSPs like "theater" or "Concert Hall" or similar.
That might get you some center channel content.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #22896 of 22911 Old 02-04-2016, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have seen some recent posts regarding Windows streaming and Norton Internet Security. I just thought I would share what I had to do to get it working on Windows 8.1. I have no problems with SMB shares now, and I don't have to enter a password.

You need to add three firewall rules in Norton. You also need to perform an extra step for password-free connection. I have attached my notes as an image because I couldn't figure out how to make a table work in the forum software.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-04_181906.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1230897  

Last edited by abilyeu; 02-04-2016 at 07:26 PM.
post #22897 of 22911 Old 02-05-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcugk View Post
what i have found is that sports watching especially hockey is much improved with the Oppo upscaling and less motion blur on my Panasonic plasma

the best feature on the player is how good the 2 channel audio out is for cd's, i prefer this to the Anthemlogic over HDMI.
Thanks for the feedback. Placed the order and it should be here on Sat. With an Avs game on Sat and the big game on Sunday, I should be able to test it out. (Although seeing what could be yet another curb-stomping of the Broncos in the SB on the big screen might not be all that satisfying....)
post #22898 of 22911 Old 02-06-2016, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to jeroensky
Quote:
Originally Posted by abilyeu View Post
I have seen some recent posts regarding Windows streaming and Norton Internet Security. I just thought I would share what I had to do to get it working on Windows 8.1. I have no problems with SMB shares now, and I don't have to enter a password.

You need to add three firewall rules in Norton. You also need to perform an extra step for password-free connection. I have attached my notes as an image because I couldn't figure out how to make a table work in the forum software.
Holy crap. Long time i hear about Norton security software for insecure operating system and that uses too much computer power. Glad i dumped windows a few years ago.

_-<OPPO-BDP103eu~DarbeeEdition~Multi-region/zone>-_
post #22899 of 22911 Old 02-06-2016, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Future Oppo Models

Maybe it's a closely guarded secret but my searches for information regarding new Oppo universal players always comes up empty.

The current model lineup has been around awhile and was wondering if anyone has any clues about what is on the horizon.
post #22900 of 22911 Old 02-06-2016, 05:56 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanley View Post
Maybe it's a closely guarded secret but my searches for information regarding new Oppo universal players always comes up empty.

The current model lineup has been around awhile and was wondering if anyone has any clues about what is on the horizon.
OPPO has said they are working on a UHD player, but we have heard no specifics or definite schedule.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #22901 of 22911 Old 02-06-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post
not just simple -- but frankly flawless and painless. Install and it "just works" every time.
I recently bought the 103 and installed oshare. But my PC drops its internet access after a couple songs playing on my oppo. I have to reboot my PC to get internet access back. Any ideas why this is happening?

Ron
post #22902 of 22911 Old 02-06-2016, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just wanted to pop into this thread to thank Oppo tech support for resolving my 'no audio to Vizio TV issue'. Apparently the Vizio M series does not pick up audio thru HDMI 1 but it does so thru HDMI 2. They acknowledged this is a known issue and sent me a beta firmware patch to fix the issue - and it did.
post #22903 of 22911 Old Today, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Problems with analog 5.1 audio setup on BDP-103

I recently obtained some active speakers to update my Oppo 103 for use with 5.1 source material, from its use with monitoring stereo audiophile LP to DVD-A discs. After adding the the additional SL & SR speaker feeds from the 103's analog RCA connectors and making appropriate adjustments, the results with a 5.1 DVD-A such as 'Hotel California' was stunning. However, having involved several Blu-ray video discs, the 103 didn't function correctly at all, with the audio level barely audible and no SL or SR sound.

I contacted OPPO, but they want me to swap my 103 with my 105 and let them know what the results are! The 105 is fully HDMI into an HDMI receiver which powers its 5.1 surround speakers. A lot of work to swap around this equipment.

Anybody running a 103 in 5.1 surround mode using the analog outputs to active speakers, while playing DVD-A 5.1 and Blu-ray movies? I sent the settings my 103 is using to Oppo, but they had no comment other than to swap my 103 with my 105!
-Rod
post #22904 of 22911 Old Today, 09:05 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
^ Set HDMI Audio to OFF in the 103 to make sure you are not accidentally listening to audio on the HDMI cable when the problem occurs.

Check your Volume setting in the 103 (buttons at top of Remote).

Set Secondary Audio OFF in the 103, and also confirm that you have not selected a Commentary track as the audio to listen to when playing the Blu-rays that are exhibiting the problem.

If you have an audio calibration Blu-ray disc (such as AIX Audio Calibration), test individual speaker output using a test track from it. For example, on AIX use the LPCM 5.1 Channel ID track.

Be aware that many Blu-ray movies only have modest output in the Surround speakers. This is why it is good to check with a track you can be sure is supposed to put out sound there such as a calibration disc track.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #22905 of 22911 Old Today, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
By the time you typed that, you could've done the swap and had results.
post #22906 of 22911 Old Today, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Set HDMI Audio to OFF in the 103 to make sure you are not accidentally listening to audio on the HDMI cable when the problem occurs.

Check your Volume setting in the 103 (buttons at top of Remote).

Set Secondary Audio OFF in the 103, and also confirm that you have not selected a Commentary track as the audio to listen to when playing the Blu-rays that are exhibiting the problem.

If you have an audio calibration Blu-ray disc (such as AIX Audio Calibration), test individual speaker output using a test track from it. For example, on AIX use the LPCM 5.1 Channel ID track.

Be aware that many Blu-ray movies only have modest output in the Surround speakers. This is why it is good to check with a track you can be sure is supposed to put out sound there such as a calibration disc track.
--Bob
Thank you, Bob, I'll follow these points and lt you know what happens.
-Rod
post #22907 of 22911 Old Today, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
By the time you typed that, you could've done the swap and had results.
Hardly, they are in two different locations and the 105 is very inconvenint to aaccess.
post #22908 of 22911 Old Today, 11:13 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpaine View Post
Hardly, they are in two different locations and the 105 is very inconvenint to aaccess.
It's worth the exercise anyway as it would make sense to swap them permanently if you're using the analog outputs of the 103 and the HDMI output of the 105 for audio - the opposite configuration would maximize the features you paid extra for in the 105 (better analog outputs).
Smarty-pants likes this.
post #22909 of 22911 Old Today, 11:47 AM

Following up on my question regarding watching sports through the HDMI input on the 103 (adding this primarily so anyone searching can find it, since I found relatively little concrete experience).

In a nutshell - it works fantastically well. I watched a hockey game on Sat and the Super Bowl on Sunday and it was basically like watching TV. My particular setup is probably worse than most since the Mits 7800 seems decidedly poor in handling interlaced content, but the improvement was significant.

I also purposefully watched a DVD (The Killing, which I hadn't seen before), and I thought the result was rather impressive - detected 24Hz and I thought the scaling looked very good.

Overall, very satisfied.
post #22910 of 22911 Old Today, 12:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
^ On the DVD, the OPPO 10x players do not attempt to "detect" /24 content. If you enable DVD 24p Conversion then *ALL* DVD (shiny disc) content is converted to 1080p/24 output -- assuming you also have 1080p Resolution selected and 1080p/24 Output enabled.

This can result in stuttering if the DVD content was not really /24 to begin with, or if the transfer to disc was done in a way that screws up the cadence used with /24 content that CAN be converted.

If you see stuttering (typically in pans), just flip DVD 24p Conversion OFF -- you can do that on the fly, while the DVD is playing -- and enjoy the rest of the disc at 1080p/60 output.

Such stuttering, if present will be much worse than the tiny amount of "cadence judder" you are trying to eliminate through use of 1080p/24 output.

NOTE: The conversion is only available for DVD DISC playback. Not for SD Video Media files for example, or with SD Video on the HDMI Inputs.
--Bob
post #22911 of 22911 Old Today, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk123 View Post
Following up on my question regarding watching sports through the HDMI input on the 103 (adding this primarily so anyone searching can find it, since I found relatively little concrete experience).

In a nutshell - it works fantastically well. I watched a hockey game on Sat and the Super Bowl on Sunday and it was basically like watching TV. My particular setup is probably worse than most since the Mits 7800 seems decidedly poor in handling interlaced content, but the improvement was significant.

I also purposefully watched a DVD (The Killing, which I hadn't seen before), and I thought the result was rather impressive - detected 24Hz and I thought the scaling looked very good.

Overall, very satisfied.
Glad to hear our results were similar, i thought the Superbowl HD feed on CBS was especially good.
I don't think i can put all the picture improvement on the Oppo upscaling.

Panasonic 60PU54
Anthem MRX510
Oppo 103
SVS Prime Towers SB-2000 sub
Shaw HDPVR-630
PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc