Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 766 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 673Likes

post #22951 of 23378 Old 02-13-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclypse View Post
Tonight I finally went to open up my copy of Avatar 3D and play it for the family as were really into 3D content now with out new LG 65ef9500 OLED TV and come to find after inserting the 3D disk I cant get 3D to output from the oppo player flawlessly like every other 3D movie I've tried so far. Fought with it for prob 20 mins before giving up and turning on 2d-3d conversion on the tv.

At first the disk was showing a screen saying to connect the blu ray player to a 3D ready tv. At the end it would just play without the error but in 2d mode. I even tried setting the 3D option in the player to forced mode and no difference!

Anyone else experience this and maybe know the trick to get the disk to play in 3D?
Sounds like a handshake failure. If you have an AVR in the HDMI chain, try removing it to test. Try different HDMI cables, different input on the TV, etc. Hard to say why just the one disc causes issues, but if you can come up with another one to try it might be worth the effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22952 of 23378 Old 02-14-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
Last night I started having an issue, it looks like there is a slight pause during playback, it happens every few minutes. I just started another movie and it's doing the same thing. Between last night and today it's donr this on 5 different discs, no settings have been changed. In the past 1.5 years I've never had this issue at all. Firmware is up to date. Any ideas what might be causing this? It makes watching movies not worth it...

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-5000 | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500 | Dish VIP622
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST :
CS-8060HD : PM-1000 | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP 2x4 : DDRC-88A | Belkin PureAV x2

http://www.rpm-psi.com
post #22953 of 23378 Old 02-14-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
Last night I started having an issue, it looks like there is a slight pause during playback, it happens every few minutes. I just started another movie and it's doing the same thing. Between last night and today it's donr this on 5 different discs, no settings have been changed. In the past 1.5 years I've never had this issue at all. Firmware is up to date. Any ideas what might be causing this? It makes watching movies not worth it...
Check your cables, they come loose sometimes (and/or an unplug/replug every once in a while couldn't hurt). (Also try pulling the power plug for a little while.)
post #22954 of 23378 Old 02-14-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Best guess would be a smudge of goobers on the laser. (technical terms)
You could try some canned air to redistribute the dust bunnies in there.
post #22955 of 23378 Old 02-14-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
Check your cables, they come loose sometimes (and/or an unplug/replug every once in a while couldn't hurt). (Also try pulling the power plug for a little while.)
I don't know this will help, but I will try it anyway. On one of the discs it would bring up the chapter playing, indicating it was in the player not the connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Best guess would be a smudge of goobers on the laser. (technical terms)
You could try some canned air to redistribute the dust bunnies in there.
I'll try this as well, besides canned air is there a better way to clean the laser?

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-5000 | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500 | Dish VIP622
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST :
CS-8060HD : PM-1000 | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP 2x4 : DDRC-88A | Belkin PureAV x2

http://www.rpm-psi.com
post #22956 of 23378 Old 02-14-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Canned air is your best bet. Not many people are trained to clean optics.
post #22957 of 23378 Old 02-14-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
I don't know this will help, but I will try it anyway. On one of the discs it would bring up the chapter playing, indicating it was in the player not the connection.
It can always be a HDMI connection which is end to end so any connection in the chain can cause handshake trouble.

Quote:
I'll try this as well, besides canned air is there a better way to clean the laser?
Yes. It amounts to taking the top off the drive and using a Q tip and some alcohol to clean the two laser lenses. There are detailed instructions in this thread and in all the other OPPO HD player threads.

I've never needed to clean my 93 but it seems easy enough. If there is a defect in your set, repair has always been very fast and low cost unless things have changed at OPPO in the several months I've been away.

Bob Pariseau has written several diagnostic procedures and also instructions for cleaning.

Last edited by htwaits; 02-14-2016 at 03:22 PM.
post #22958 of 23378 Old 02-14-2016, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
aiff album art

I have a combination of flac and AIFF files stored on a NAS. When I stream the files through my oppo, only the flac files show album art on either the TV or the oppo media control app. The flac files have a cover art file called "folder.jpg". I have tried adding the same to my AIFF folders, but the cover art still doesn't appear for the AIFF's. I have two oppo 103's and both have current firmware. When I stream these same files through my other streamer, using Linn's Kazoo app, all my album covers appear. Any suggestions?

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #22959 of 23378 Old 02-15-2016, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post
I have a combination of flac and AIFF files stored on a NAS. When I stream the files through my oppo, only the flac files show album art on either the TV or the oppo media control app. The flac files have a cover art file called "folder.jpg". I have tried adding the same to my AIFF folders, but the cover art still doesn't appear for the AIFF's. I have two oppo 103's and both have current firmware. When I stream these same files through my other streamer, using Linn's Kazoo app, all my album covers appear. Any suggestions?
Is it possible that the flac files have the cover art embedded and the AIFF files do not? (Embedded = included within each file as a tag, not as a "sidecar" jpg file).

I know that the Oppos handle embedded artwork well - but am not aware of how well they handle sidecar files - especially if using file-share-based (SMB) access to the tracks.

The mechanism used for streaming could be important. "Streaming" via a file share (SMB) is not really "streaming" any more than opening an excel spreadsheet from a network file share is "streaming," and it is unlikely that any pure file-sharing mechanism would be able to use sidecar files effectively. Media servers are far more abstracted, so it is much easier to use sidecars on a media server. So are you using the Kazoo app with the Kazoo server perchance. If so, then I suspect that the Kazoo server is what knows how to use and interpret the sidecar jpg files.

So - the net of my hypothesis is that your flacs contain embedded artwork and your aiff files do not. When used over a straight file share, the Oppos only see the embedded artwork and, hence, do not display artwork for the AIFFs. When streaming using the Linn platform, however, the sidecar files are being used, at least in the case where embedded files are not present.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #22960 of 23378 Old 02-15-2016, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Directv HR-44 (Genie) as well, and do not notice the judder. Note that I have the 105D. However, I do have the same issue with my Roku 3, where fast forwarding/rewinding and resuming playback causes an unmistakable juddery/jittery quality. At least one other member has posted about this issue.

Which Output are you using? For me and the other member, using HDMI 2 out solves the issue (though it's annoying because I'd rather use the Darbee feature on the 105D which is only on HDMI 1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
So, I have been running my DirecTV genie receiver through my OPPO 103's HDMI In Back for a while now, to take advantage of the video processing there. There is one annoying thing that happens every now and then that I wanted to put out there...see if anyone else has experienced something similar, and what any possible causes/solutions might be...

It typically happens when I am fast forwarding through some recorded content on the DVR (i.e., commercials) and I stop abruptly to resume watching the programming. Frequently, the motion on the screen will then be a bit juddery (if that's a word!) without the smooth motion you would typically get from video. To stop it, I usually have to reboot the OPPO, resume the DVR'd content, and the judder will usually be gone at that time. Until I start fast forwarding again...

I don't typically get this judder when I am watching unrecorded content on the DVR through the OPPO. Unless, I pause and buffer it for a while...then resume or fast forward, then it might happen again.

Any thoughts? Anyone else ever experience similar symptoms?

Thanks in advance for any input!
post #22961 of 23378 Old 02-15-2016, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Is it possible that the flac files have the cover art embedded and the AIFF files do not? (Embedded = included within each file as a tag, not as a "sidecar" jpg file).

I know that the Oppos handle embedded artwork well - but am not aware of how well they handle sidecar files - especially if using file-share-based (SMB) access to the tracks.

The mechanism used for streaming could be important. "Streaming" via a file share (SMB) is not really "streaming" any more than opening an excel spreadsheet from a network file share is "streaming," and it is unlikely that any pure file-sharing mechanism would be able to use sidecar files effectively. Media servers are far more abstracted, so it is much easier to use sidecars on a media server. So are you using the Kazoo app with the Kazoo server perchance. If so, then I suspect that the Kazoo server is what knows how to use and interpret the sidecar jpg files.

So - the net of my hypothesis is that your flacs contain embedded artwork and your aiff files do not. When used over a straight file share, the Oppos only see the embedded artwork and, hence, do not display artwork for the AIFFs. When streaming using the Linn platform, however, the sidecar files are being used, at least in the case where embedded files are not present.
I have been in touch with oppo support and they informed me AIFF should show album art even with sidecar files. They informed me they should be saved as "folder.jpg" files, but that is what mine are saved as, so not sure what the issue is. I have sent them one of my AIFF albums with the sidecar file to see if they can diagnose the issue.

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #22962 of 23378 Old 02-15-2016, 03:48 PM

Liked: 11
Folks
I finally got tired of using my HTPC as my bluray player and picked up an Oppo BDP-103. I am trying to figure out the best way to integrate it into my system so as to take advantage of the superior video processing of the Oppo for all my sources including Roku, media files from htpc or network shares, media streamed from Netflix and amazon etc via Roku.

Old setup
Sources (HTPC & Roku) -> (HDMI) -> Integra 9.9 Prepro
--Video--> (HDMI cables) -> Sony HD projector
--Audio--> (XLR cables) -> Emotiva Monoblocks -> Magnepan Speakers

New Setup: Oppo manual recommends Split A/V approach.
Sources (HTPC & Roku) -> (HDMI) -> Oppo (Split A/V)
--Video--> (HDMI1) -> Sony HD projector
--Audio--> (HDMI2) -> Integra 9.9 Prepro -> (XLR cables) -> Emotiva Monoblocks -> Magnepan Speakers

Problem - The above seems to work but my HDMI CEC is broken. I used the HDMI CEC on the old setup. With that enabled I was able to turn on/off the projector and it would automatically turn on/off the Integra prepro which would turn my amps on/off as they are connected via trigger cables. This was great for WAF. On the new setup I enabled HDMI CEC on the Oppo but it makes me choose between HDMI 1 or 2. Even after that it only works partially. Turn on works but not Turn off. So now I have to use 3 diff remotes and turn on/off each comp (Projector, Oppo, Prepro) separately.

My Oppo firmware is up to date. Is this is known problem with Oppo? What do others do here? Do I have to break down and buy a Harmony and create macros?
Thanks.

Source: Oppo / HTPC / Xbox 360 / Fisher TT MT-864; PrePro: Integra DHC-9.9; FL/FR: Magnepan 1.7 + Emotiva Ultra-10 Sub + Emotiva XPA-1; Front Center: Magnepan CC5 + Emotiva XPA-100; Surr L/R: Magnepan MMGW + Yamaha HTR-5250; Sub: SVS PC-13 Ultra; Proj: Sony VPL-HW55ES; Screen: VisualApex 135" Fixed; Power: APC H15BLK
Other TV: Samsung UN75F6300
post #22963 of 23378 Old 02-15-2016, 05:33 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmishra View Post
Folks
I finally got tired of using my HTPC as my bluray player and picked up an Oppo BDP-103. I am trying to figure out the best way to integrate it into my system so as to take advantage of the superior video processing of the Oppo for all my sources including Roku, media files from htpc or network shares, media streamed from Netflix and amazon etc via Roku.

Old setup
Sources (HTPC & Roku) -> (HDMI) -> Integra 9.9 Prepro
--Video--> (HDMI cables) -> Sony HD projector
--Audio--> (XLR cables) -> Emotiva Monoblocks -> Magnepan Speakers

New Setup: Oppo manual recommends Split A/V approach.
Sources (HTPC & Roku) -> (HDMI) -> Oppo (Split A/V)
--Video--> (HDMI1) -> Sony HD projector
--Audio--> (HDMI2) -> Integra 9.9 Prepro -> (XLR cables) -> Emotiva Monoblocks -> Magnepan Speakers

Problem - The above seems to work but my HDMI CEC is broken. I used the HDMI CEC on the old setup. With that enabled I was able to turn on/off the projector and it would automatically turn on/off the Integra prepro which would turn my amps on/off as they are connected via trigger cables. This was great for WAF. On the new setup I enabled HDMI CEC on the Oppo but it makes me choose between HDMI 1 or 2. Even after that it only works partially. Turn on works but not Turn off. So now I have to use 3 diff remotes and turn on/off each comp (Projector, Oppo, Prepro) separately.

My Oppo firmware is up to date. Is this is known problem with Oppo? What do others do here? Do I have to break down and buy a Harmony and create macros?
Thanks.
Unless there's a compelling reason to use both HDMI outputs, just use 1. I'm not sure if the Integra 9.9 supports 3D, but if it doesn't and your projector does, that would be pretty much the only reason I would suggest using both outputs. That might solve your CEC issue, but either way getting a Harmony or similar remote would most likely make your life easier.
post #22964 of 23378 Old 02-15-2016, 11:33 PM

Liked: 14
Oppo 103 Scaling vs AVR

Quick question for other 103 owners. Are you using your 103 to upscale DirecTV signals? Is this a better approach than using your AVR to upscale the signal? In my specific situation, I have a Denon x3000 AVR that I'm using to upscale the DirecT content.

Thanks in advance for your input!
post #22965 of 23378 Old 02-15-2016, 11:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmccall View Post
Quick question for other 103 owners. Are you using your 103 to upscale DirecTV signals? Is this a better approach than using your AVR to upscale the signal? In my specific situation, I have a Denon x3000 AVR that I'm using to upscale the DirecT content.

Thanks in advance for your input!
If it's easy to do, you can try it both ways and use the one that seems best to you.
post #22966 of 23378 Old 02-16-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
If it's easy to do, you can try it both ways and use the one that seems best to you.
To be honest, I can't really see a difference. I was just curious what other's opinions are.
post #22967 of 23378 Old 02-16-2016, 07:18 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
^ Keep two things in mind:

1) If you want something external to the DirecTV box to do the heavy lifting for video then you need to set the DirecTV to "native" resolution output. Meaning it will send out exactly what resolution is coming in according to whatever channel you are watching at the moment. This will be 480i for SD channels and either 720p or 1080i for HD channels. Since the output resolution will change each time you change between different types of channel, you should expect a new HDMI handshake each time you change channels like that. Keep in mind that many SD channels on Satellite and Cable systems are often pretty badly mangled before they ever get to your box. The service providers don't really care about how those channels look. There's nothing that can be done to "fix" such damage -- the information has been permanently lost. So when comparing SD channel results you need to hunt around for an SD channel that looks higher quality to begin with. The same sort of thing can happen with HD channels -- such as rebroadcast of local TV stations -- if the service provider decides they want to free up bandwidth for, e.g., paid sports programming on a weekend.

2) Before looking for differences in upscaling, or even in de-interlacing, you need to START by making sure your display is properly calibrated for video. If your display settings are not right -- for example if you are still using the display's factory default settings or have video "enhancement" features enabled -- then any differences in things like upscaling will likely be masked by the damage the display itself is doing to the video. When sending audio and video from the DirecTV to the OPPO, the DirecTV should be set to use YCbCr 4:4:4 video output and Bitstream audio (may be called Dolby) output. In the OPPO itself, the Picture Adjustment settings should all be set to their default (0) values. Set that way, the OPPO puts out Reference HDMI video signals. Use an explicit, 1080p, output Resolution from the OPPO -- not Auto or Source Direct. Then make any adjustments needed to get properly calibrated video using the controls in your Display -- not in the OPPO. To do this, you will need to spend some quality time with a calibration disc. But take heart: Any adjustments you make here attempting to get best results from your DirecTV box will *ALSO* improve the quality of video when watching discs!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #22968 of 23378 Old 02-16-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Keep two things in mind:

1) If you want something external to the DirecTV box to do the heavy lifting for video then you need to set the DirecTV to "native" resolution output. Meaning it will send out exactly what resolution is coming in according to whatever channel you are watching at the moment. This will be 480i for SD channels and either 720p or 1080i for HD channels. Since the output resolution will change each time you change between different types of channel, you should expect a new HDMI handshake each time you change channels like that. Keep in mind that many SD channels on Satellite and Cable systems are often pretty badly mangled before they ever get to your box. The service providers don't really care about how those channels look. There's nothing that can be done to "fix" such damage -- the information has been permanently lost. So when comparing SD channel results you need to hunt around for an SD channel that looks higher quality to begin with. The same sort of thing can happen with HD channels -- such as rebroadcast of local TV stations -- if the service provider decides they want to free up bandwidth for, e.g., paid sports programming on a weekend.

2) Before looking for differences in upscaling, or even in de-interlacing, you need to START by making sure your display is properly calibrated for video. If your display settings are not right -- for example if you are still using the display's factory default settings or have video "enhancement" features enabled -- then any differences in things like upscaling will likely be masked by the damage the display itself is doing to the video. When sending audio and video from the DirecTV to the OPPO, the DirecTV should be set to use YCbCr 4:4:4 video output and Bitstream audio (may be called Dolby) output. In the OPPO itself, the Picture Adjustment settings should all be set to their default (0) values. Set that way, the OPPO puts out Reference HDMI video signals. Use an explicit, 1080p, output Resolution from the OPPO -- not Auto or Source Direct. Then make any adjustments needed to get properly calibrated video using the controls in your Display -- not in the OPPO. To do this, you will need to spend some quality time with a calibration disc. But take heart: Any adjustments you make here attempting to get best results from your DirecTV box will *ALSO* improve the quality of video when watching discs!
--Bob
Thanks for the input Bob. I have a Samsung 64F8500 display that has been professionally calibrated by David at Avical. Also I do use the native resolution on the DirecTV genie that I have and use the Dolby setting. I have everything dialed in as it should be, just looking for some opinions from others with similar gear on what they do and what their preferences are.
post #22969 of 23378 Old 02-16-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have a brand new 103 in an unopened box sitting here. See my classified on the forum especially if you are in NY. A buddy crapped out on me when I bought it to install for him.
post #22970 of 23378 Old 02-16-2016, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
I have a brand new 103 in an unopened box sitting here. See my classified on the forum especially if you are in NY. A buddy crapped out on me when I bought it to install for him.
Did you try to send it back to Oppo for a refund? They do have a generous return policy.

Quote:
Return Policy

100% Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Back. OPPO offers a 30-day money back guarantee. We will provide you with full refund of the product's purchase price if you are not satisfied with the OPPO product(s) you purchased directly from us. Please note that shipping costs are non-refundable. Returns must be complete and in like-new condition. Returns of discs must be unopened and still in its plastic wrap. Personal items such as replacement ear pads cannot be returned for a refund. Applicable to purchases made from this online store only; if purchasing from a reseller, their return policy applies.

To return an OPPO product for refund, please contact us to obtain a RMA number and return instructions within 30 days of your order's ship date. When contacting us, please provide us with your order number for faster service. We would also appreciate any product feedback that you can provide us.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #22971 of 23378 Old 02-16-2016, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
no..I bought it from a member who had one NIB also from a failed project...I might set it up in BR as I already have one in my LR but it would be overkill for my older 720p Panny Plasma. I am refraining from opening it in case some one wants one NIB not a used one or a demo unit at a fair discount.
post #22972 of 23378 Old 02-17-2016, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
audio/video sync problem on Blu-ray only

Hi:

It is strange that the audio and video appears to be out of sync on every Blu-ray DVD (I do not own that many). There is no such problem with Standard DVDs.

Now prior to purchasing the Oppo BDP-103, I was using a bare-bones Panasonic Blu-ray player (BD91). So I reconnected it and found that the Blu-rays which were out of sync with the Oppo were perfectly in sync with the Panasonic.

True I can set the audio delay within the Oppo but then that would throw standard DVDs off. And I certainly do not wish to have to make adjustments every time I load a DVD into the Oppo.

Both the Oppo and Panasonic are connected the same way: HDMI to AVR to HDTV. I also tried the split audio/video mode with the Oppo with no improvement at all.

So I am truly stumped. My only solution is to use the Oppo BDP-103 for standard DVDs, SACDs, and USB Audio. I will use the Panasonic for Blu-ray and streaming from Netflix and Amazon.

Has anyone else figured out how to solve the blu-ray sync problem with the BDP-103?

captnvideo
post #22973 of 23378 Old 02-17-2016, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnvideo View Post
Hi:

It is strange that the audio and video appears to be out of sync on every Blu-ray DVD
You've probably got a setup problem or a defective player. Someone will be along shortly to help you diagnose your situation.
post #22974 of 23378 Old 02-17-2016, 06:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
Hi:

It is strange that the audio and video appears to be out of sync on every Blu-ray DVD (I do not own that many). There is no such problem with Standard DVDs.

Now prior to purchasing the Oppo BDP-103, I was using a bare-bones Panasonic Blu-ray player (BD91). So I reconnected it and found that the Blu-rays which were out of sync with the Oppo were perfectly in sync with the Panasonic.

True I can set the audio delay within the Oppo but then that would throw standard DVDs off. And I certainly do not wish to have to make adjustments every time I load a DVD into the Oppo.

Both the Oppo and Panasonic are connected the same way: HDMI to AVR to HDTV. I also tried the split audio/video mode with the Oppo with no improvement at all.

So I am truly stumped. My only solution is to use the Oppo BDP-103 for standard DVDs, SACDs, and USB Audio. I will use the Panasonic for Blu-ray and streaming from Netflix and Amazon.

Has anyone else figured out how to solve the blu-ray sync problem with the BDP-103?

captnvideo
The most likely reason is that you are sending 1080p/24 to your display -- whereas your older player sent 1080p/60 -- and your display is one of those that takes extra-long to video process 1080p/24 input. The symptom would be that audio is early, because it has not been delayed to compensate for the extra video processing time taken in the display.

To test this, set 1080p/24 Output OFF in the OPPO. If that cures the problem there may be settings you can make in the display to reduce the amount of futzing around it is doing with the video. The usual culprit would be some sort of motion smoothing "enhancement", but it could be just about anything extra the display is set to do.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #22975 of 23378 Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The most likely reason is that you are sending 1080p/24 to your display -- whereas your older player sent 1080p/60 -- and your display is one of those that takes extra-long to video process 1080p/24 input. The symptom would be that audio is early, because it has not been delayed to compensate for the extra video processing time taken in the display.

To test this, set 1080p/24 Output OFF in the OPPO. If that cures the problem there may be settings you can make in the display to reduce the amount of futzing around it is doing with the video. The usual culprit would be some sort of motion smoothing "enhancement", but it could be just about anything extra the display is set to do.
--Bob
Bob:

Thanks so much. I had the 1080p/24hz output set to "auto". This must have been a default setting. Oppo tech support emailed me last night and suggested the very same thing you did: to change this setting to "off". I did and the audio/video is now perfectly in sync for BD as well as standard DVD.

captnvideo
post #22976 of 23378 Old 02-18-2016, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Bob:

Thanks so much. I had the 1080p/24hz output set to "auto". This must have been a default setting. Oppo tech support emailed me last night and suggested the very same thing you did: to change this setting to "off". I did and the audio/video is now perfectly in sync for BD as well as standard DVD.

captnvideo
Thing is you want 24p for movies to reduce judder. If you can live with the judder then don't worry about it.
post #22977 of 23378 Old 02-19-2016, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I have a question regarding the HDMI settings:
How shall I set colorspace settings and how shall I set Deep color settings? I`m going to an Epson W6000 projector.
post #22978 of 23378 Old 02-19-2016, 11:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven13 View Post
I have a question regarding the HDMI settings:
How shall I set colorspace settings and how shall I set Deep color settings? I`m going to an Epson W6000 projector.
The simplest thing is to set colorspace to YCbCr 4:4:4. This is the default for HDMI and avoids any funny business with "Auto" negotiation.

If you want to test color space results for yourself, Spears & Munsil have an online article on doing this using their calibration disc.

Deep Color: I've always been happy with "Off", but perhaps someone with your projector has experimented and can give other advice.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #22979 of 23378 Old 02-19-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post
Thing is you want 24p for movies to reduce judder. If you can live with the judder then don't worry about it.
I own a 2.5 year old Samsung 55" HD LED TV. There is very little documentation that came with the TV so I have left every thing pretty much at the factory default settings. The only variation I made was in "Auto Motion Plus". Instead of the default setting of "Standard", I changed it to "Smooth". This appears to remove some of the judder you were talking about.

Now I would appreciate it if you can please explain more to me about 24hz. How can I achieve a 24hz output from the Oppo without introducing the lipsync problem again?

Thank you.

Captnvideo
post #22980 of 23378 Old 02-19-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
I own a 2.5 year old Samsung 55" HD LED TV. There is very little documentation that came with the TV so I have left every thing pretty much at the factory default settings. The only variation I made was in "Auto Motion Plus". Instead of the default setting of "Standard", I changed it to "Smooth". This appears to remove some of the judder you were talking about.

Now I would appreciate it if you can please explain more to me about 24hz. How can I achieve a 24hz output from the Oppo without introducing the lipsync problem again?

Thank you.

Captnvideo
Let me try dvds on my 103 and get back to you. I have watched 24p bluray and 60p via Roku stick and an apple TV4 and do not see any lipsync differences in my setup but I never watched a dvd using my oppo. Not sure why your display would take longer to process 24p. It should only be refreshing more often in multiples than 24fps within the same second. It does the same processing with 60p. So this sounds more like a problem with the oppo 103. I need to check it out on my setup to see if I have the same problem.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page