Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 790 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 710Likes
post #23671 of 23673 Unread 07-26-2016, 06:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
^ There are usually two reasons why a file won't play: It uses a codec (audio or video encoding format) not supported by the OPPO, or the file is built incorrectly.

The OPPO handles quite a few codecs, but there are certainly some it won't play. For example, some codec's used by particular brands of home video recording cameras. Why another player might play that same codec may have to do with whether it is the same brand as the camera or some such. And as you've learned above, some *FILE* formats are actually "containers" that can have content inside in a variety of codecs. The OPPO may very well support the container file format but not one of the codecs inside it.

Often the easiest way to fix this is to run the file through a conversion utility that reads the current codec and outputs a different codec in a more common format. Quite possibly into the same type of container file. If the codec causing the problem is proprietary, or copy protected, the trick will be finding a utility that reads it.

As for the file being built incorrectly, there are types of errors which one reader might ignore but which trip up the OPPO. Sometimes this is due to the fact that the OPPO handles more types of formats, more complicated formats, or more features of a given format, than the other reader, and so needs the information in the file to be sufficiently correct that it can distinguish what's in there to be played.. So another, simpler, reader may not care about the error but the OPPO does. These types of file issues may cause the player to fail on playback without issuing an error message because it is still trying to interpret the faulty file.

Popular tools for creating such files typically are available out there in multiple versions -- enhanced or with fixes introduced over time. Some versions are known to create files with problems that can trip up some readers. Sometimes it is the most RECENT version of the tool that HAS the problem. You have to revert to a prior version to get a correct output file.

And again, the usual fix is to redo the file using a tool that can read the faulty file format and output it again without the error, or a different version of the original tool that can read the original source content and output THAT without error.
--Bob
pashine likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23672 of 23673 Unread 07-26-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Anyone know when the latest firmware update might come out? Last time I installed the beta version, only a week passed before they released the final version so this time I'm waiting...

lujan
68 Ultra HD
833 HD
19 HD DVD
7 SD
post #23673 of 23673 Unread Today, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Anyone know when the latest firmware update might come out? Last time I installed the beta version, only a week passed before they released the final version so this time I'm waiting...
My Oppo 103 just didn't cut it as a preamp. I have been using it that way this week while my AVR is getting repaired. The audio was thin and compressed-sounding. I put an old Carver preamp in its place, and the sound is great.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc