Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 790 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 741Likes

post #23671 of 23816 Old 07-26-2016, 06:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
^ There are usually two reasons why a file won't play: It uses a codec (audio or video encoding format) not supported by the OPPO, or the file is built incorrectly.

The OPPO handles quite a few codecs, but there are certainly some it won't play. For example, some codec's used by particular brands of home video recording cameras. Why another player might play that same codec may have to do with whether it is the same brand as the camera or some such. And as you've learned above, some *FILE* formats are actually "containers" that can have content inside in a variety of codecs. The OPPO may very well support the container file format but not one of the codecs inside it.

Often the easiest way to fix this is to run the file through a conversion utility that reads the current codec and outputs a different codec in a more common format. Quite possibly into the same type of container file. If the codec causing the problem is proprietary, or copy protected, the trick will be finding a utility that reads it.

As for the file being built incorrectly, there are types of errors which one reader might ignore but which trip up the OPPO. Sometimes this is due to the fact that the OPPO handles more types of formats, more complicated formats, or more features of a given format, than the other reader, and so needs the information in the file to be sufficiently correct that it can distinguish what's in there to be played.. So another, simpler, reader may not care about the error but the OPPO does. These types of file issues may cause the player to fail on playback without issuing an error message because it is still trying to interpret the faulty file.

Popular tools for creating such files typically are available out there in multiple versions -- enhanced or with fixes introduced over time. Some versions are known to create files with problems that can trip up some readers. Sometimes it is the most RECENT version of the tool that HAS the problem. You have to revert to a prior version to get a correct output file.

And again, the usual fix is to redo the file using a tool that can read the faulty file format and output it again without the error, or a different version of the original tool that can read the original source content and output THAT without error.
--Bob
pashine likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23672 of 23816 Old 07-26-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Anyone know when the latest firmware update might come out? Last time I installed the beta version, only a week passed before they released the final version so this time I'm waiting...

lujan
76 Ultra HD
832 HD
19 HD DVD
7 SD
post #23673 of 23816 Old 07-29-2016, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Anyone know when the latest firmware update might come out? Last time I installed the beta version, only a week passed before they released the final version so this time I'm waiting...
My Oppo 103 just didn't cut it as a preamp. I have been using it that way this week while my AVR is getting repaired. The audio was thin and compressed-sounding. I put an old Carver preamp in its place, and the sound is great.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #23674 of 23816 Old 08-01-2016, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can someone help me access the files on my computer via ethernet?
It asks me for a username and password and I've tried everything I know. I thought it meant homegroup so I tried entering that (not sure where to find homegroup username).
Then I tried erasing homegroup but the player still asked for username and password.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Rhythmx likes this.
post #23675 of 23816 Old 08-01-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtutt1 View Post
It asks me for a username and password and I've tried everything I know. I thought it meant homegroup so I tried entering that (not sure where to find homegroup username).
Then I tried erasing homegroup but the player still asked for username and password.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Don't know exactly what you're doing or using that is prompting you for credentials to access files from a computer on your LAN, but this is normally the Windows login userid/password you enter when you first boot your machine and see the Windows "Welcome" screen. It has nothing to do with the homegroup.

Good practice and security requires a Windows "username" here and associated password, but some have never defined a password so that Windows boots directly to the desktop without first stopping at the Welcome screen front door. If you're one of those, that could be why you're not having success in logging in remotely to the target machine to access its files (which also must be defined on that machine as "shared", on order to permit others to get to them).

So if you don't have a password set for the Windows Welcome screen user on the target machine whose files you want to access, you DO NEED ONE DEFINED THERE.
post #23676 of 23816 Old 08-01-2016, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtutt1 View Post
Any ideas?
Thanks
There's no need to create a homegroup or set up a password for anything. You need to go into Windows' settings and set the option to "Turn off password protected sharing". It's a little different for each Windows version, so just Google it. Once you have set that, you will need to edit the permissions on each of your shared folders and add the user "Everyone" to the list with full access.
post #23677 of 23816 Old 08-01-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by abilyeu View Post
There's no need to create a homegroup or set up a password for anything. You need to go into Windows' settings and set the option to "Turn off password protected sharing". It's a little different for each Windows version, so just Google it. Once you have set that, you will need to edit the permissions on each of your shared folders and add the user "Everyone" to the list with full access.
Sometimes a Windows update will turn ON password protected sharing after you've turned it off. This has happened to me at lwast twice with Windows 10.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #23678 of 23816 Old 08-01-2016, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Sometimes a Windows update will turn ON password protected sharing after you've turned it off. This has happened to me at lwast twice with Windows 10.
True. When I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 a few weeks ago, it reset password protected sharing back to ON, and it also reset the permissions on all of my shared folders and removed Everyone from the list. It took me a while to figure out why it wasn't working.
post #23679 of 23816 Old 08-01-2016, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post

3. And why a cheap Samsung BR player has no issue with that same disc? Is it a more robust file diversification reader/player?
_______

Right now my best solution is that Sammy player.
If you have the instructions right here on how I can make my 103 play that same AVI file on disc with both sound and picture playing properly, please be my guess.

It's not a reproach, it's an actual discovery, and I share it right here in the official 103 owner's thread to see if there is a simple solution for common mortals without a degree in audio/video files engineering. ...
I concur that the Oppo is not as compatible with some ripped movie files and video files from the internet compared with other players, like a home computer. Many here will not have noticed that, if their files are primarily commercial DVD and Blu-ray. An alternative for computer files is the WD TV Live. It is very forgiving compared to the Oppo and cheap to add to your system.
post #23680 of 23816 Old 08-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 1949
Quote:
Originally Posted by noway1 View Post
I concur that the Oppo is not as compatible with some ripped movie files and video files from the internet ...
The Copy Protection Lobby is responsible for restricting the formats that OPPO is allowed to display on their players. They are not as effective with software producers who keep a low profile.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #23681 of 23816 Old 08-01-2016, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6799 Post(s)
Liked: 3372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
There are usually two reasons why a file won't play: It uses a codec (audio or video encoding format) not supported by the OPPO, or the file is built incorrectly.

The OPPO handles quite a few codecs, but there are certainly some it won't play. For example, some codec's used by particular brands of home video recording cameras. Why another player might play that same codec may have to do with whether it is the same brand as the camera or some such. And as you've learned above, some *FILE* formats are actually "containers" that can have content inside in a variety of codecs. The OPPO may very well support the container file format but not one of the codecs inside it.

Often the easiest way to fix this is to run the file through a conversion utility that reads the current codec and outputs a different codec in a more common format. Quite possibly into the same type of container file. If the codec causing the problem is proprietary, or copy protected, the trick will be finding a utility that reads it.

As for the file being built incorrectly, there are types of errors which one reader might ignore but which trip up the OPPO. Sometimes this is due to the fact that the OPPO handles more types of formats, more complicated formats, or more features of a given format, than the other reader, and so needs the information in the file to be sufficiently correct that it can distinguish what's in there to be played.. So another, simpler, reader may not care about the error but the OPPO does. These types of file issues may cause the player to fail on playback without issuing an error message because it is still trying to interpret the faulty file.

Popular tools for creating such files typically are available out there in multiple versions -- enhanced or with fixes introduced over time. Some versions are known to create files with problems that can trip up some readers. Sometimes it is the most RECENT version of the tool that HAS the problem. You have to revert to a prior version to get a correct output file.

And again, the usual fix is to redo the file using a tool that can read the faulty file format and output it again without the error, or a different version of the original tool that can read the original source content and output THAT without error.
--Bob

Thanks a whole bunch Bob; excellent explanation and suggestions.

I agree that the Oppo 103 can read more files than most other BR players...Samsung, Sony, Panasonic. I know so for a fact.
This particular AVI file on DVD-R was only one of few that the 103 couldn't play (only the audio portion, and without any message displayed).
They have to be reformatted. * Other type of files will usually display a message; like 'Cannot Play', 'Corrupt', or others. This time nothing.
And some files cannot be played the same on my other brands of BR players.

Overall the 103 is still the champ.
_______

Some people are more experienced with reformatting files so that their 103 can play them; me I am very limited in that department (my movies are mainly Blu-rays and DVDs...99.99999% - and I play the BR discs @ 99.88888%).
And in this particular case here, one of my Samsung BR players can play both the video and audio of that DVD-R. My Sonys can't, they displayed the message; 'Corrupted file'. My Panasonic I don't know, it's in another room with no video connection, basically dead.

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
post #23682 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Just picked up a 103D, and have a couple of questions that hopefully you guys can help me out with.

Q) What's the largest usb drive can I connect to the rear usb?
Q) What format should the drive be formatted to?
Q) Is it better streaming from my HTPC?

Thanks in advance

tony4k
post #23683 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 05:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post
Just picked up a 103D, and have a couple of questions that hopefully you guys can help me out with.

Q) What's the largest usb drive can I connect to the rear usb?
Q) What format should the drive be formatted to?
Q) Is it better streaming from my HTPC?

Thanks in advance
The player supports GPT partitioning, so volume sizes are out of sight on the large end. Years ago someone said they had tested 16TB; I haven't heard reports since.

For large volumes you want NTFS or exFAT.

Better: A/V quality is the same regardless of source. Direct connection by USB has the virtue of simplicity, but network access gives you more management options.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #23684 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Bill, I'm sorry but I don't understand 100%

Can you connect a USB external drive of say 2TB to the Oppo 103's USB ports? ...The type with only a USB connection (no AC power connection).
I thought I read somewhere that the Oppo 103 accept up to 2TB USB drives.

USB sticks (the larger sizes) I believe come with 128 and 256GB?

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
post #23685 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 11:05 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
Bill, I'm sorry but I don't understand 100%

Can you connect a USB external drive of say 2TB to the Oppo 103's USB ports? ...The type with only a USB connection (no AC power connection).
I thought I read somewhere that the Oppo 103 accept up to 2TB USB drives.

USB sticks (the larger sizes) I believe come with 128 and 256GB?
Earlier models were limited to a maximum size of 2TB. That limitation is removed in the 103/105 series.

You can use USB-powered drives; I do so and it works well. We've had people who got better results with AC powered drives, so that it something to test if there are issues.

USB sticks keep getting bigger in terms of storage sizes. I haven't checked as to what is current at reasonable prices.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #23686 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I saw a 128GB USB stick on sale for $40. But then you can buy a 1TB external USB drive for $80.
That's in Canada; in USA I bet it's half price. A 2TB one on sale is $90..only $10 more for an additional 1TB.
A UHD/4K Blu-ray (only one title) is $45 with tax in Canada (some $40). ...3D on Blu is $5 cheaper ($35), from Cdn MSRP ($29.99).
Some Disney 3D BR titles are up to $60! ...@ Walmart.

And I thought I saw 256GB USB sticks, the largest size.

I like the compact size of the non-powered USB drives; but I didn't know that the AC powered ones would lead to better results (performance) with Oppos.

Samsung has a new 16TB SSD drive, for $10,000!
http://www.pcworld.com/article/31017...for-10000.html

_________

The next UHD Blu-ray players, some, will have few TBs integrated in them.
We need more and more storage; one 4K Blu is on a 100GB disc (BvS). Ten of those and you have already one TB.
_________

Which month for the next Oppo UHD BR player?

~ Bob
- Van Morrison

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-02-2016 at 01:33 PM.
post #23687 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 85
"Which month for the next Oppo UHD BR player?"

Septober or Octocember!

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103, Sony PS4
post #23688 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
I like the compact size of the non-powered USB drives; but I didn't know that the AC powered ones would lead to better results (performance) with Oppos.
Be aware that most "portable" or buss-powered drives of 2TB or larger will require a USB-3 connect to provide the needed power, and a USB-2 port (Oppo) may not be able to power them adequately. Some may call for dual USB connections. Point being: know what you're buying.

An alternative for drives needing power over USB is a USB hub with an A/C adapter, which will power the drive and still connect it to the player.
post #23689 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I have a weird question about multichannel playback. I bought an SACD that is supposed to be quadraphonic. But for some reason, the label included a very low level LFE channel- not enough to hear- down more than 30dB too low. If I was playing it on a four channel setup without a subwoofer, it would sound fine, but when I play it 5.1 with the AVR set for bass management (80Hz crossover from fronts and rears to the sub), the LFE channel prevents the crossover from the mains to the subwoofer. It sounds really thin. Is there a way to set the Oppo to ignore the LFE channel and fool the AVR into thinking this is a 4 channel recording, rather than 4.1? Then my problem would be solved. Is it possible?
post #23690 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Be aware that most "portable" or buss-powered drives of 2TB or larger will require a USB-3 connect to provide the needed power, and a USB-2 port (Oppo) may not be able to power them adequately. Some may call for dual USB connections. Point being: know what you're buying.

An alternative for drives needing power over USB is a USB hub with an A/C adapter, which will power the drive and still connect it to the player.
Ok, this I did not know. I do know that the Oppo 103 USB ports are USB-2.0 version (black).
I'm thinking of getting a 2TB portable/non-powered external USB drive and connect it to the 103's front USB port; would it work?

Does Oppo make any mention of this in its litterature/specs/FAQ?

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
post #23691 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 05:18 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
And I thought I saw 256GB USB sticks, the largest size.
USB sticks are available larger than 256GB, it's easy to find some as large as 1TB with a quick Google search.

Quote:
Ok, this I did not know. I do know that the Oppo 103 USB ports are USB-2.0 version (black).
I'm thinking of getting a 2TB portable/non-powered external USB drive and connect it to the 103's front USB port; would it work?

Oppo specifies how much power an attached USB device can use in their documentation - it's the standard amount supported by a USB 2.0 port. Your question about whether any given 2TB drive will work is too generic - you need to look at the power requirements for the specific drive you're considering and figure it out. IMHO, it's best not to use the max power the ports support, so I'd be inclined to use drives that get their power externally or require somewhat less than the max supported by the USB port.
post #23692 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:

I have a BDP-93 and use several 2TB USB hard drives but they are all powered. I use USB thumb drives up to 256 GB also. I would always select powered drive if it's physically rotating platers.
post #23693 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Page 40

MEDIA FILE PLAYBACK

In addition to playing standard disc-based formats such as Blu-ray, DVD, CD and SACD, the BDP-103
can play media files. You can enjoy digital music, movies and photos stored on a data disc (recordable
CD, DVD or Blu-ray) or an external USB drive. Due to the variation of media, encoding software and
techniques used, compatibility cannot be guaranteed for all user-created or downloaded content.
Support for such content is on a best effort basis.

Playback from USB Flash Drive

The BDP-103 is equipped with three USB ports: one on the front panel and two on the back. You may use any
of the available USB ports to plug in a USB drive.
The USB ports are rated to provide a maximum of 5V, 1000mA power to the USB drive. It is sufficient for USB
thumb drives and flash memory card readers, but may not be sufficient for USB hard disks. It is recommended
to check with your drive manufacturer for power requirements, or use an external power supply.

NOTE
x This unit supports “USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport” devices only. Most USB
thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers conform to this device class. Other
USB devices such as MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones may not be compatible.
x Supported USB drives can be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table), FAT32 or NTFS
(New Technology File System) file system.
x In some cases, an incompatible USB device may cause the player to stop responding. If this
occurs, simply turn off the power, remove the USB device, and turn the player back on.
x The player accesses the USB drive in read-only mode. In order to minimize the risk of data
corruption, it is recommended that you only unplug the USB device when playback is
completely stopped.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
post #23694 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Will this Seagate BackUp+ Slim 1.5TB drive work connected directly to my Oppo 103's front USB port? It only has a USB cable connection, no AC power.
It comes in 1, 1.5 and 2TB sizes.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
post #23695 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
I have a BDP-93 and use several 2TB USB hard drives but they are all powered. I use USB thumb drives up to 256 GB also. I would always select powered drive if it's physically rotating platers.
Yes, I understand; powered AC USB drives play with almost any devices. No need to check the power provided by the USB ports of your BR player.

But my question is specific; no AC cord, just a USB 3.0 cable, as above, that exact same drive, plugged directly into my Oppo 103's USB port; yes or no?

And I'm sure she'll work with my laptop's USB 3.0 ports, as more power is coming from them.

I just want to know if it is safe or not with the Oppo 103. If not I can get something else, with two cords; 1. USB 2. AC power.
Those Seagate drives have zero specs as far as their power requirements is concerned, only that it is a 5400rpm drive.
Now we know that the 103's USB ports are rated @ 5V and 1000MA.

So again, would it do, with that exact drive from the above video, yes or no?
If yes, great. If no, I'll return it.
_________

* Bonus: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-flash-drives/
I am learning; I thought 256GB USB sticks were the largest ones.
One TB USB stick for $700! Maybe it's a magic stick?

~ Bob
- Van Morrison

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-02-2016 at 07:28 PM.
post #23696 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
But my question is specific; no AC cord, just a USB 3.0 cable, as above, that exact same drive, plugged directly into my Oppo 103's USB port; yes or no?
Nobody knows except the drive maker. The drive has a power rating - how much power it consumes. That's what you need to know before you buy. But as mentioned: a powered USB hub eliminates any concern.
post #23697 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So how do we find out the power requirement for those non-powered external hard drives? I looked @ Seagate's own website and nada; they said to check with your BR player manufacturer.

I thought that if I asked here I got better chance to stumble on a member who has tried it for himself.

It seems like a not so easy question, even knowing exactly which drive I'm asking for.
If I open the package and she won't work with my Oppo I'm stuck with it.
If I don't try I won't know, unless someone else has tried before with that same type of drive.
And if not, I have the choice of taking no chances, and simply return it for an exchange with an AC powered one.

But I really wanted to ask here first, because nowhere else could I get a straight and definitive answer. Even the guy who sold me the drive is totally clueless.
Yep, interesting the times we are living with all that USB stuff. Our laptops are powered by electricity, and battery, and our Oppo BR players are also powered by electricity (no battery though). And the USB ports of our electrical laptops work no problemo with un-powered external USB drives; just the USB connection has enough juice to power the drive mechanism.

* Our receivers and pre/pros don't offer AC outlets on their back anymore, our surge bars are already full, we live in the age of wireless and less cables possible.
USB is big. UHD is growing. Cell phones and portable PCs (laptops, tablets, iPads, iPhones) are in the billions worldwide, and they all have USB ports.
Receivers and pre/pros have USB ports, turntables have USB ports, BR and DVD players, CD players, DACs, Room EQ systems, microphones, headphones, etc., etc., etc.

We are advancing tremendously, and yet there is so much more left to do...
We still need electricity, and power...AC power cords.

My Android didn't come with a USB charger, so I charge it with my modem, which has a USB 3.0 port.
But the other day my Internet service provider tech guy said to me to not charge it from my modem. Can I charge it from my old PC (15-years old)? It has few USB 2.0 ports, but I don't use that Windows XP computer no more...it is totally useless. And my laptop? I wish that my battery could last more than just two hours. I only plug it to charge it.
My Oppo 103 is always plugged; I don't need to move with it.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
post #23698 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 09:35 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
So how do we find out the power requirement for those non-powered external hard drives? I looked @ Seagate's own website and nada; they said to check with your BR player manufacturer.
The answer you get may depend on how you ask the question. If you ask if a particular model drive will work with your OPPO they would say you better ask OPPO. If you ask for the power rating of a particular drive, you should get a prompt answer.

If you find out what the power rating is, it's more likely that someone here could give you a reasonable answer, but no guarantee.

Quote:
I have the choice of taking no chances, and simply return it for an exchange with an AC powered one.
True.

Quote:
our surge bars are already full
You might look into a surge protector with outlets spaced to accommodate transformer shapes. What is the main reason you don't want a one more thing that needs an electrical outlet?

Click here for an example.

Are you picking a portable model without it's own power supply because you need the portability? As you pointed out, standard format powered drives are cheaper.

Last edited by htwaits; 08-02-2016 at 09:56 PM.
post #23699 of 23816 Old 08-02-2016, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have no more AC power outlets free around my Oppo 103. My system is full of AC power cords because I have many sources and amps and subs and other electrical stuff in that area.
Also, like I mentioned before, I prefer the small size factor/portability of that Slim Seagate hard drive design.

Yep, I'm using one of them surge protectors with already two separately spaced AC transformers.

Thanks to everyone anyway. Perhaps sometimes in the future another member will read this and will know the answer, perhaps myself.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
post #23700 of 23816 Old 08-03-2016, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So how do we find out the power requirement for those non-powered external hard drives?
It should be on the drive itself, or on its packaging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc