Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 794 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 739Likes
post #23791 of 23816 Unread 08-20-2016, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
input mode stuck when other device turns off

Hi,

I have the Oppo 103D and a ChannelMaster DVR+. The DVR+ is connected to the 103's "HDMI In-Back" port.

The problem I'm having is that the 103's input mode is stuck after I turn off the DVR+ if the DVR+ was the present input mode. I've reported this to Oppo, but they are finger-pointing. I'm running the latest firmware (updated using the CDROM technique last week).

This is very repeatable -- happens every time:
1. turn on 103D
2. turn on DVR+
3. select the 103D's "HDMI In-Back" port. This is where I have my DVR+ is plugged in.
4. TV works great.
5. turn off the DVR+
6. blank screen
7. using the 103D's remote's Input button, the menu doesn't appear on the screen. Its still just blank. Also, the 103D's front panel still says "HDMI In-Back". That doesn't change.
8. I also tried "Input" "1" "Enter" to get back to the 103D's default bluray player mode, but it is still stuck.
9. The 103D's remote's red power button doesn't turn the 103D off either until after a long delay... The only other way to get back is to turn the 103D off using the front-panel button.
10. once I power up the 103D again, it is in the default bluray mode and I can switch inputs again.

At this point, Oppo technical support isn't engaging. I reported it, they asked some questions, then silence. But the DVR+ is doing everything that it is supposed to -- it goes off, it goes on.

Once I turn the DVR+ back on, the 103D is happy again and I can change the inputs. It appears that when the DVR+ goes off, the 103D gets stuck and locks to the input mode.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23792 of 23816 Unread 08-20-2016, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Definitely yes with 5.1 Flac audio. I have not tested 7.1 Flac audio though...
works perfectly for me in a 7.1 format.
post #23793 of 23816 Unread 08-21-2016, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What is the remote code for 103?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is what you make it.......
post #23794 of 23816 Unread 08-21-2016, 09:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
Hi,

I have the Oppo 103D and a ChannelMaster DVR+. The DVR+ is connected to the 103's "HDMI In-Back" port.

The problem I'm having is that the 103's input mode is stuck after I turn off the DVR+ if the DVR+ was the present input mode. I've reported this to Oppo, but they are finger-pointing. I'm running the latest firmware (updated using the CDROM technique last week).

This is very repeatable -- happens every time:
1. turn on 103D
2. turn on DVR+
3. select the 103D's "HDMI In-Back" port. This is where I have my DVR+ is plugged in.
4. TV works great.
5. turn off the DVR+
6. blank screen
7. using the 103D's remote's Input button, the menu doesn't appear on the screen. Its still just blank. Also, the 103D's front panel still says "HDMI In-Back". That doesn't change.
8. I also tried "Input" "1" "Enter" to get back to the 103D's default bluray player mode, but it is still stuck.
9. The 103D's remote's red power button doesn't turn the 103D off either until after a long delay... The only other way to get back is to turn the 103D off using the front-panel button.
10. once I power up the 103D again, it is in the default bluray mode and I can switch inputs again.

At this point, Oppo technical support isn't engaging. I reported it, they asked some questions, then silence. But the DVR+ is doing everything that it is supposed to -- it goes off, it goes on.

Once I turn the DVR+ back on, the 103D is happy again and I can change the inputs. It appears that when the DVR+ goes off, the 103D gets stuck and locks to the input mode.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks,

Scott
Have you tried changing the OPPO Input to "Blu-ray Player" BEFORE turning off the DVR+?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #23795 of 23816 Unread 08-21-2016, 09:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post
What is the remote code for 103?

It's not clear what you are asking. If you are looking for a list of IR remote commands to use in programming a programmable remote, they are published in an Excel spreadsheet available on OPPO's Support page for the BDP-103 player:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...3-Support.aspx

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #23796 of 23816 Unread 08-21-2016, 09:43 AM

What is the remote code for the 103? Trying to program my Marantz remote to do some basic functions.

post #23797 of 23816 Unread 08-21-2016, 09:44 AM

Sorry for the double post, first one gave me an error message.

post #23798 of 23816 Unread 08-21-2016, 09:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post
What is the remote code for the 103? Trying to program my Marantz remote to do some basic functions.

Unless your Marantz remote is generally programmable (pretty unlikely) you are probably limited to the set of remote codes for "other devices" built into the Marantz remote -- plus possibly the ability to learn individual remote commands one by one.

The set of "other device" remote codes built into your Marantz remote should be listed in the Manual for your Marantz. If the OPPO players are not on that list then you are likely out of luck. Note that for all the basic functions (arrow buttons, play/pause, etc.) all the OPPO Blu-ray players from the BDP-83 onward share the same codes. So if you have *ANY* OPPO BDP-xxx player listed in the Marantz documentation on "other devices" for their remote then that one will do.
--Bob

post #23799 of 23816 Unread 08-21-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Question Two BDP-103 questions:An HDMI-challenged poster question, and do new units have updat

SIAP. but as a HDMI-challenged old poster, I sure would appreciate a basic answer on compatibility. My seven year-old Panasonic Blu-ray is failing and I want to replace and start an upgrade. I have a seven year old Panny VT plasma that I want to get one more season out of, and likewise on a circa 2009 Denon AVR-2310CI, HDMI 1.3

As the Blu-ray is on its way out, I am between considering an Oppo BDP-103, OR a Panasonic (4K) UB900 (maybe available 9/01/2016)...OR wait (not cool) for the 4K Oppo (probably a lot of folks' dilemma).

Question on HDMI compatibility: Could I potentially still utilize my circa 2009 Denon AVR-2310CI, HDMI 1.3 with the Oppo BDP-103 (which I understand is HDMI 1.4 ) ?? and curious if this is okay, would I be able to expect an improvement in sound quality if I am using HDMI cables (and not audio-out) ??

Question on Oppo "updates": Sorry about in all likelihood an ignorant question, but if I was to purchase an Oppo BDP-103 next week, directly from Oppo, should I expect a unit that is the same (update-wise) as the units boxed at their circa 2012 initial manufacture date, OR, have they currently been building these same units and "applying" updates that are (relatively) current ?? I just never understood how that works.

Thank you so much for responses on these questions. Trust me when I say that you guys are very helpful with issues on here. Continues to be a GREAT site !

Last edited by WOLVERNOLE; 08-21-2016 at 02:31 PM.
post #23800 of 23816 Unread 08-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Second question first: OPPO players have the latest firmware installed that was available when the player was made. Now, regardless of how you purchase your OPPO, the box you get has not likely been sitting unsold for all THAT long, but as it turns out, OPPO just this past week released new firmware for the BDP-103, and so the odds are pretty good the player you buy this week will *NOT* have that new firmware installed. Even if you buy direct from OPPO.

Since you are posting here, you obviously have access to the Internet. If you connect your OPPO player to the Internet (via an Ethernet cable to the "router" in your house, or by telling the player how to connect to Wifi wireless networking in your house) the player can update its firmware over the Internet for you. It is quick and painless. And if the player already has the latest firmware, it will tell you so.

------------------------------------

On your first question, you will not get the value you are paying for if you buy a new UHD -- sometimes called 4K -- player unless you also replace your TV with a new, UHD TV. If you are planning to run the video through the Denon, it too will need to be replaced with a UHD-capable AVR. The UHD players *WILL* work with older, non-UHD TVs and AVRs, but not up to their full potential.

Setting aside UHD/4K players, then, HDMI v1.4 is backwards compatible with HDMI v1.3, so you should have no problem using the OPPO BDP-103 with your current, HDMI-capable Denon AVR and Panasonic TV.

It's tough to predict what you will hear for audio, since I don't know the capabilities of your failing, Panasonic player. But if you've been using Analog (RCA) cables for audio from the Panasonic, odds are good you will hear better audio if you switch to having the Denon get its audio from the HDMI cable. That's simply because MOST Blu-ray players don't have particularly good Analog audio output electronics. There are certainly exceptions -- typically higher end Blu-ray players like the OPPO BDP-105. Even the OPPO BDP-103 is no slouch at Analog audio output. But generally speaking, if you can use HDMI for audio it is simpler, and "probably" better. (Doing Analog audio "right" is more complicated to set up, too.)

Finally, if you buy direct from the OPPO Digital web site, they offer an easy, 30 day return policy. All you risk is the shipping cost. So you can get the player and see for yourself if it is doing what you want. If not, give them a call and they will tell you how to do the return for refund.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 08-21-2016 at 03:27 PM.
post #23801 of 23816 Unread 08-21-2016, 03:15 PM

Thanks Bob well answered. Look like a universal remote for me

post #23802 of 23816 Unread 08-21-2016, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is an iPad oppo control software as far as I know, i haven't used it but I've seen it online.
So simply put you can select your movie file and play them, so far so good. Except the interface stinks!
I wonder how possible it would be to have an interface similar to infuse or plex for browsing your collection
and playing the file once chosen? That would be sweet!
post #23803 of 23816 Unread Yesterday, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSP5000 View Post
There is an iPad oppo control software as far as I know, i haven't used it but I've seen it online.
So simply put you can select your movie file and play them, so far so good. Except the interface stinks!
I wonder how possible it would be to have an interface similar to infuse or plex for browsing your collection
and playing the file once chosen? That would be sweet!
You can do this now, but you need to be using DLNA to connect your media to your Oppo (as opposed to a file share or direct USB connection.) Then you can run Plex (or oShare, or jRiver) as your DLNA server and run a corresponding DLNA controller app on the iPad (like Plex, or Kinsky, or jRemote). You would then use the controller app on the iPad to browse your shows/music and "push" the music to the Oppo. I do this with jRiver/jRemote and it works great - very stable and reliable.

I went through a lot of frustration to get this to work well - so here are some thoughts to keep in mind should you choose to go this route:

1) "Matched sets" of Server and Controller are better. Yes, DLNA controllers and servers SHOULD interoperate and they do - to a very limited degree. I got much better results when I used a controller that was specifically designed to work with a given player. (My best results were with jRiver/jRemote and my second best results were in the Plex family).

2) A stable network environment is a must. Use fixed IPs for everything but the iPad. Use high-quality store-and-forward switching in your network and use wired connections for at least the server and also the Oppo if at all possible.

3) Make sure that the DLNA server is configured to do NO transcoding/media conversion when working with the Oppo. If you do this, ANY file that plays on the Oppo via USB will also work through DLNA. If you leave any transcoding turned on, you are asking for trouble.

4) You can forget getting gapless music playback if you go this way.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #23804 of 23816 Unread Yesterday, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
You can do this now, but you need to be using DLNA to connect your media to your Oppo (as opposed to a file share or direct USB connection.) Then you can run Plex (or oShare, or jRiver) as your DLNA server and run a corresponding DLNA controller app on the iPad (like Plex, or Kinsky, or jRemote). You would then use the controller app on the iPad to browse your shows/music and "push" the music to the Oppo. I do this with jRiver/jRemote and it works great - very stable and reliable.

I went through a lot of frustration to get this to work well - so here are some thoughts to keep in mind should you choose to go this route:

1) "Matched sets" of Server and Controller are better. Yes, DLNA controllers and servers SHOULD interoperate and they do - to a very limited degree. I got much better results when I used a controller that was specifically designed to work with a given player. (My best results were with jRiver/jRemote and my second best results were in the Plex family).

2) A stable network environment is a must. Use fixed IPs for everything but the iPad. Use high-quality store-and-forward switching in your network and use wired connections for at least the server and also the Oppo if at all possible.

3) Make sure that the DLNA server is configured to do NO transcoding/media conversion when working with the Oppo. If you do this, ANY file that plays on the Oppo via USB will also work through DLNA. If you leave any transcoding turned on, you are asking for trouble.

4) You can forget getting gapless music playback if you go this way.
Interesting, What specific app on the iPad are you using?
post #23805 of 23816 Unread Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSP5000 View Post
Interesting, What specific app on the iPad are you using?
I have jRiver Media Center as the DLNA server and jRemote on the iPad as the controller.

The software was not free, but it was not all that expensive either and it was the most reliable in the end.
pashine likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #23806 of 23816 Unread Yesterday, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
You can do this now, but you need to be using DLNA to connect your media to your Oppo (as opposed to a file share or direct USB connection.)
I am wishing the oppo app could do this (cover art, metadata) for hd's connected via usb. My network connection is good but not great which allows me to play my dvd's over the network. Bluray's typically stutter/buffer to the point where I just plug the hd into the oppo directly with usb.

Not sure if oppo will ever put that functionality into their app?

post #23807 of 23816 Unread Today, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is the latest beta firmware issued on 18 July likely to be made Official in the near future?
post #23808 of 23816 Unread Today, 04:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer77 View Post
Is the latest beta firmware issued on 18 July likely to be made Official in the near future?
It was made official on August 12: http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-1...3-Support.aspx

-Bill
gwsat likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #23809 of 23816 Unread Today, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It was made official on August 12: http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-1...3-Support.aspx

-Bill
Thanks for the quick reply Bill. I'm not seeing anything for the 103EU that's official (sorry, should have specified that version first time!).
post #23810 of 23816 Unread Today, 04:54 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer77 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Bill. I'm not seeing anything for the 103EU that's official (sorry, should have specified that version first time!).
You'll need to contact the EU distributor to find out when they plan to make the new version official. Each region needs to make minor changes such as setting the appropriate region code and add/remove a few apps and then run some of their own tests before releasing the firmware. Since Oppo Digital is based in the USA, new versions are made available here first.
post #23811 of 23816 Unread Today, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Is there anyway to disable the apps on this player? Or at least YouTube? It requires no sign in and there aren't parental controls. My nine-year-old has been sneaking to watch Minecraft videos. Easy to delete the app, lock phones, etc. but he's realized the Oppo is an open door. Anything other than pulling the Internet plug that will work? (Yes, we are also using discipline, but if I can also remove the means, he loses motive.)
post #23812 of 23816 Unread Today, 07:07 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmark View Post
Is there anyway to disable the apps on this player? Or at least YouTube? It requires no sign in and there aren't parental controls. My nine-year-old has been sneaking to watch Minecraft videos. Easy to delete the app, lock phones, etc. but he's realized the Oppo is an open door. Anything other than pulling the Internet plug that will work? (Yes, we are also using discipline, but if I can also remove the means, he loses motive.)
There isn't a way to disable or remove apps on the player. Something that might work is to configure your Internet router to block access to the Internet or certain domains from the Oppo player's IP or MAC address. Whether this can be done depends on what you're using for a router.
post #23813 of 23816 Unread Today, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmark View Post
I don't know if the app can be blocked, but can you block Youtube for your Oppo's IP address at your router?
post #23814 of 23816 Unread Today, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can't you do this by creating a shared / virtual / network folder pointing to your hard drives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
I am wishing the oppo app could do this (cover art, metadata) for hd's connected via usb. My network connection is good but not great which allows me to play my dvd's over the network. Bluray's typically stutter/buffer to the point where I just plug the hd into the oppo directly with usb.

Not sure if oppo will ever put that functionality into their app?

Media Room: Epson 5030 / Pioneer VSX-822 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
House Audio: Onkyo NR-709 & Monoprice in-wall speakers
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC:Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #23815 of 23816 Unread Today, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Second question first: OPPO players have the latest firmware installed that was available when the player was made. Now, regardless of how you purchase your OPPO, the box you get has not likely been sitting unsold for all THAT long, but as it turns out, OPPO just this past week released new firmware for the BDP-103, and so the odds are pretty good the player you buy this week will *NOT* have that new firmware installed. Even if you buy direct from OPPO.

Since you are posting here, you obviously have access to the Internet. If you connect your OPPO player to the Internet (via an Ethernet cable to the "router" in your house, or by telling the player how to connect to Wifi wireless networking in your house) the player can update its firmware over the Internet for you. It is quick and painless. And if the player already has the latest firmware, it will tell you so.

------------------------------------

On your first question, you will not get the value you are paying for if you buy a new UHD -- sometimes called 4K -- player unless you also replace your TV with a new, UHD TV. If you are planning to run the video through the Denon, it too will need to be replaced with a UHD-capable AVR. The UHD players *WILL* work with older, non-UHD TVs and AVRs, but not up to their full potential.

Setting aside UHD/4K players, then, HDMI v1.4 is backwards compatible with HDMI v1.3, so you should have no problem using the OPPO BDP-103 with your current, HDMI-capable Denon AVR and Panasonic TV.

It's tough to predict what you will hear for audio, since I don't know the capabilities of your failing, Panasonic player. But if you've been using Analog (RCA) cables for audio from the Panasonic, odds are good you will hear better audio if you switch to having the Denon get its audio from the HDMI cable. That's simply because MOST Blu-ray players don't have particularly good Analog audio output electronics. There are certainly exceptions -- typically higher end Blu-ray players like the OPPO BDP-105. Even the OPPO BDP-103 is no slouch at Analog audio output. But generally speaking, if you can use HDMI for audio it is simpler, and "probably" better. (Doing Analog audio "right" is more complicated to set up, too.)

Finally, if you buy direct from the OPPO Digital web site, they offer an easy, 30 day return policy. All you risk is the shipping cost. So you can get the player and see for yourself if it is doing what you want. If not, give them a call and they will tell you how to do the return for refund.

--Bob

I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm upgrading my entire system.

I have a Epson 5040ub projector on the way which is 4K capable.

My receiver is a Yamaha a840 which states it will pass-through 4K/60p and 3D however it is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content.

How much 4K material is copy-protected?

If the oppo continues to have dual HDMI outputs will this alleviate the problem?
post #23816 of 23816 Unread Today, 04:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The OPPO does not play any form of content which is already 4K, and thus does not need the newer copy protection created for such content -- things like UHD Blu-ray discs.

The OPPO can upscale lesser resolution content to 4K output, which sounds like what your gear is intended to handle. That's done using the same style of copy protection as is used with normal Blu-ray discs.
--Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc