Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 797 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 752Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #23881 of 23891 Old 09-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Senior Member
 
retate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 37
More information on the UDP-203 in this Forbes article.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarch.../#1462a7ca4d3a
gwsat likes this.

Bob
retate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #23882 of 23891 Old 09-25-2016, 11:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
It's killing me waiting for this deck! I love my oppo, and will wait for a dv oppo to replace it. Here's hoping dv mastered content hits the market soon too.

It makes such a difference on the streaming content. To have a player that can produce that picture quality with the audio quality I expect from oppo is a dream come true.

Overcomes the frustration of being limited to dd on the e6 arc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Spinningbull is online now  
post #23883 of 23891 Old 09-25-2016, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
David Aiken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Posts: 818
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningbull View Post
It's killing me waiting for this deck! I love my oppo, and will wait for a dv oppo to replace it. Here's hoping dv mastered content hits the market soon too.

It makes such a difference on the streaming content. To have a player that can produce that picture quality with the audio quality I expect from oppo is a dream come true.

Overcomes the frustration of being limited to dd on the e6 arc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I don't think having a player that can produce the picture quality of DV streaming content is a dream come true. Compare the video quality of normal 1080p streamed content with the video quality of 1080p BD from your 103 or my 105 and I don't think you would be happy if your 103 simply delivered the picture quality of streamed content. Our BD players surpass the picture quality of streamed 1080p content and I, for one, want a UHD player that surpasses the picture quality of streamed HDR content.

And what can we expect in real life? Well, when I bought my LG E6, I also bought the Samsung UHD player as a stopgap to tide me over with UHD discs until the Oppo player comes out. The Samsung player doesn't do DV, it only does HDR10, but I can tell you that native 4K HDR content from it looks noticeably better than a show like Marco Polo streamed in 4K with DV from Netflix does and that's what we should expect from the 203 as well. John Archer comments in the article in the link above that he thought the 203 he saw demonstrated was producing a better picture than he had seen previously from the Samsung player.

I also am waiting eagerly for the 203 but I am going to be bitterly disappointed if all it can do for picture quality is to match the quality of 4K DV streamed content. I don't think I'm going to be disappointed. The Samsung player does better than that and I'm expecting results that are at least equal to those of the Samsung. I'm hoping for results that are better than that.
David Aiken is offline  
post #23884 of 23891 Old 09-26-2016, 04:40 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,783
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 663
^ There's an Oppo UDP-203 anticipation thread where discussion about the upcoming player would be more appropriate.
gsr is online now  
post #23885 of 23891 Old 09-27-2016, 11:28 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,399
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Public Beta Firmware BDP10X-83-0918B Released for the OPPO 10x Players

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...-83-0918B.aspx

Release Notes:

This release is for the OPPO BDP-103, BDP-103D, BDP-105 and BDP-105D Blu-ray Disc players.

Special Notice:
Once this Public Beta firmware is installed on the player, you CAN revert back to the previous Official release via a USB thumb drive. There will be no issues upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.

Comparing to the current Official release version BDP10X-83-0715, the major changes included in this version are:

1) Resolved a no audio issue with certain receivers when playing DD+ 5.1 content from Netflix and Vudu.
2) Resolved an issue where the player would automatically power off when receiving commands via a TCP connection.
3) General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

--Bob
KC-Technerd likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #23886 of 23891 Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
lightbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm considering purchase of a BDP-103, and I have a question for you experts:

If I connect a cable TV box to the Oppo's HDMI input, can the Oppo output downsampled 2.0 audio (typically from Dolby Digital 5.1 in the TV signal) through the analog audio jacks? I want to send TV audio to a zone 2 system, and I suspect the DAC in the Oppo is much better than the crappy DAC in the cable TV box driving its analog audio output. (My AVR won't accept 5.1 audio through S/PDIF digital input for zone 2, and the cable box won't downsample 5.1 audio to 2.0 for its digital audio output jacks. If either of those were the case, I would be using that digital path for the zone 2 audio.)
lightbox is online now  
post #23887 of 23891 Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scott_bernstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC, US
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbox View Post
I'm considering purchase of a BDP-103, and I have a question for you experts:

If I connect a cable TV box to the Oppo's HDMI input, can the Oppo output downsampled 2.0 audio (typically from Dolby Digital 5.1 in the TV signal) through the analog audio jacks? I want to send TV audio to a zone 2 system, and I suspect the DAC in the Oppo is much better than the crappy DAC in the cable TV box driving its analog audio output. (My AVR won't accept 5.1 audio through S/PDIF digital input for zone 2, and the cable box won't downsample 5.1 audio to 2.0 for its digital audio output jacks. If either of those were the case, I would be using that digital path for the zone 2 audio.)
Yes, you can set your speaker config options in the Oppo and it will properly downsample to the analog outs as needed. It's all very easy in the on screen interface.
lightbox likes this.
scott_bernstein is offline  
post #23888 of 23891 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Senior Member
 
lightbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post
Yes, you can set your speaker config options in the Oppo and it will properly downsample to the analog outs as needed. It's all very easy in the on screen interface.
Thanks. Looks like the 103 will be my birthday present.
lightbox is online now  
post #23889 of 23891 Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbox View Post
I'm considering purchase of a BDP-103, and I have a question for you experts:

If I connect a cable TV box to the Oppo's HDMI input, can the Oppo output downsampled 2.0 audio (typically from Dolby Digital 5.1 in the TV signal) through the analog audio jacks? I want to send TV audio to a zone 2 system, and I suspect the DAC in the Oppo is much better than the crappy DAC in the cable TV box driving its analog audio output. (My AVR won't accept 5.1 audio through S/PDIF digital input for zone 2, and the cable box won't downsample 5.1 audio to 2.0 for its digital audio output jacks. If either of those were the case, I would be using that digital path for the zone 2 audio.)
I have a slightly different way of accomplishing the same objective.

Like you intend to do, I feed the HDMI output of my "conceptual" cable TV box (actually it's a Windows Media Center Extender from my HTPC) to the rear HDMI input of my Oppo 103. I feed the HDMI1 output of the Oppo to an HDMI input of my Yamaha RX-V867 AVR. So the AVR gets fed multi-channel audio via HDMI from the Oppo, either from BluRay discs or from HDTV.

I don't have an actual multi-loudspeaker external audio system, but rather only have two speakers left/right next to my HDTV display when choosing to listen to sound through these two speakers. So I want to provide L/R stereo to the two speakers, but down-mixed to 2.0 from whatever multi-channel source it started from... with the down-mixing to 2.0 occurring in the AVR.

Turns out the Yamaha RX-V867 has exactly this functionality availability, intended for "zone 2" listening same as you've described. It's called "party mode" and when activated enables the zone 2 output for 2.0 stereo produced precisely by down-mixing whatever multi-channel source is being fed to the primary zone 1 outputs of the AVR into 2.0 stereo for delivery to the L/R 2.0 channel amp outputs feeding zone 2. And then the AVR's zone 2 volume control is also enabled, so that it can be adjusted independently of the primary zone 1 output.

This allows me to simply always feed the AVR via HDMI1 output from the 103 with the true multi-channel audio, in order to utilize the amp in the AVR to feed the two speakers with down-mixed 2.0 stereo using this "party mode" functionality. If I actually want to listen to true multi-channel audio, I don't use speakers but instead use my "virtual surround" headphone system instead, based on the Smyth Realiser A8 being fed via HDMI2 output from the 103 which is configured to run in "split A/V" mode (delivering video-only out HDMI1 to the AVR and then on to the connected HDTV display and audio-only out HDMI2 to the A8 and my Stax-based headphone system).
DSperber is online now  
post #23890 of 23891 Old Today, 03:58 AM
Senior Member
 
lightbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I have a slightly different way of accomplishing the same objective.

Like you intend to do, I feed the HDMI output of my "conceptual" cable TV box (actually it's a Windows Media Center Extender from my HTPC) to the rear HDMI input of my Oppo 103. I feed the HDMI1 output of the Oppo to an HDMI input of my Yamaha RX-V867 AVR. So the AVR gets fed multi-channel audio via HDMI from the Oppo, either from BluRay discs or from HDTV.

I don't have an actual multi-loudspeaker external audio system, but rather only have two speakers left/right next to my HDTV display when choosing to listen to sound through these two speakers. So I want to provide L/R stereo to the two speakers, but down-mixed to 2.0 from whatever multi-channel source it started from... with the down-mixing to 2.0 occurring in the AVR.

Turns out the Yamaha RX-V867 has exactly this functionality availability, intended for "zone 2" listening same as you've described. It's called "party mode" and when activated enables the zone 2 output for 2.0 stereo produced precisely by down-mixing whatever multi-channel source is being fed to the primary zone 1 outputs of the AVR into 2.0 stereo for delivery to the L/R 2.0 channel amp outputs feeding zone 2. And then the AVR's zone 2 volume control is also enabled, so that it can be adjusted independently of the primary zone 1 output.

This allows me to simply always feed the AVR via HDMI1 output from the 103 with the true multi-channel audio, in order to utilize the amp in the AVR to feed the two speakers with down-mixed 2.0 stereo using this "party mode" functionality. If I actually want to listen to true multi-channel audio, I don't use speakers but instead use my "virtual surround" headphone system instead, based on the Smyth Realiser A8 being fed via HDMI2 output from the 103 which is configured to run in "split A/V" mode (delivering video-only out HDMI1 to the AVR and then on to the connected HDTV display and audio-only out HDMI2 to the A8 and my Stax-based headphone system).
Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, my Denon AVR doesn't have an equivalent of Yamaha's "party mode", and it will not downmix multi-channel audio for its zone 2 output. I need to feed it 2.0 for that zone (in addition to multi-channel audio for the main speaker system in zone 1).
lightbox is online now  
post #23891 of 23891 Old Today, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 7,730
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 7583
What other players on the market compete with the BDP 103 or new UDP-203?

Good audio, plus video steaming. Roku built in. Tidal friendly.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off