Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 801 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #24001 of 24002 Unread Today, 03:38 PM
Oppo Beta Group
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 696
^ It's a known issue on the Oppo 10x series, that has been discussed quite a bit in the Oppo BDP-10x threads.
Sponsored Links
post #24002 of 24002 Unread Today, 04:01 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Can anyone explain why setting the Oppo to LPCM degrades the audio, especially on Atmos and DTS-HD MA 6.1 audio tracks? It's a world of difference between Bitstream and LPCM from my Oppo to the Yamaha A550. With the Oppo set to LPCM, it sounds like the dynamic range is limited substantially. DRC is turned off on the Oppo and the Yamaha, so it's something else. For reference, the Star Wars and Batman v Superman are good ones to test this out. There is a big drop off on both. I spoke to them before and they just disregarded the issue.

This issue, combined with the smearing on Vudu and YouTube when set to anything other than Source Direct does not instill faith in their customer service. For a $500 piece of equipment that does little more than one costing 1/5th of the price, it's very unremarkable that they refuse to fix either problem. I love the machine, the build quality, and it's overall performance, but considering the price and their lack of support in issues like these that matter, I can't recommend them.
Holy crap!! I just experienced this exact same issue this past weekend with Ice Age Collision Course! The movie just sounded REALLY off. So much so I thought the movie was badly mastered. Then I see Ralph's review of a 100 on audio for the movie and I thought something had to be wrong with my setup somewhere. I then switched from LPCM to bitstream with the Oppo and and it sounded much better. It's like the Oppo is doing something with the levels when using LPCM. And yes, DRC is turned off as I thought it might have accidentally gotten turned on (I always have it off).

Now here is the kicker for all those arguing that this has something to do with my pre-amp. I use an nVidia Shield connected to input 1 on the Oppo. As most of you know, the only way to get lossless through input 1 on the Oppo is by having the Shield send everything LPCM. This is how I have it setup with and it sounds completely normal. So my pre-amp gets an LPCM track from Shield through the Oppo and there is no issue. In fact, it sounds better that way in my opinion.

I wonder if the latest firmware update messed something up? I am just glad I am not the only one who noticed this. I went ahead and put the latest beta firmware on my unit since I was concerned about the Oppo having issues but haven't tested LPCM yet since. I also plan on testing the Shield direct to my pre-amp to compare as well. My preamp is an Emotiva XMC-1 for those taking notes. I also thought about boosting the Oppo's input levels on my pre-amp to see what affect that would have on Blu-Rays.
Sponsored Links
Reply Blu-ray Players

Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc