Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 804 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 804Likes

post #24091 of 24115 Old 11-28-2016, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I do use DLNA, but this problem was across the Oppo "ecosystem." Browsing directly on the device to a folder on the Synology with my blurays as well as browsing using the Oppo app on my phone.

Possible that the player ID changed. I'll dig in deeper. Thanks for the pointer as always, Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
You're using DLNA? Maybe the identifier of the player changed and your server is using a different profile?

I've had no difficulty with MKV over SMB with this firmware, but it has been a while since I checked DLNA.

-Bill

Media Room: Epson 5030 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
House Audio: Onkyo NR-709 & Monoprice in-wall speakers
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC:Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24092 of 24115 Old 11-28-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I'm based in the UK and currently running the 0918 Beta.

I can confirm that I'm able to access MKV contained files stored on my Synology NAS directly by using the Oppo via both SMB and UPnP...

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #24093 of 24115 Old 11-29-2016, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Hey y'all -

I just upgraded to the most recent firmware, and now my 103 doesn't see MKV files as MKVs any more. When I browse my network, it shows MKVs as MPEG files, and only recognizes the stereo audio track. It doesn't see the TrueHD or DTS-HD tracks in the container any more.

The only way I could get it to play the DTS-HD tracks was to browse to my Plex Media Server sitting on my Synology rather than just the folder on the Synology with the files in it.

Any suggestions? Or is this a new "Feature" of the firmware?
Did you make sure that you selected the correct category when browsing for files?
There are categories like, Music, Pictures, and Video. When I have mistakenly selected the incorrect category, I have has similar results.
This sounds rather basic... but I have done it to myself more than once.
post #24094 of 24115 Old 11-29-2016, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'd like to think that I did! But I won't swear that I didn't.

I just did everything as I normally do (and I've owned the 103 for 4 years and the NAS for 1), and the only change was the firmware.

That doesn't mean it wasn't operator error, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
Did you make sure that you selected the correct category when browsing for files?
There are categories like, Music, Pictures, and Video. When I have mistakenly selected the incorrect category, I have has similar results.
This sounds rather basic... but I have done it to myself more than once.

Media Room: Epson 5030 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
House Audio: Onkyo NR-709 & Monoprice in-wall speakers
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC:Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #24095 of 24115 Old 11-29-2016, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
I don't have a recent Denon receiver, but perhaps yours has a setting called Direct? This setting may result in DSD showing up on your receiver even with HDMI hookup. (It did with this setting while I was using DenonLink, before I got fed up with the Denon dvd player's quirks.) Just speculation on my part; just as easily may very well not (mine's too old to support this).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
If you want the player to output DSD, use that setting, or "auto".

BDP-103 USER MANUAL v1.8.2 page 62
Quote:
Due to the hardware limitation, DSD output is only available from the HDMI 2 OUT port. To listen to SACD using the HDMI 1 OUT port, please set SACD Output to PCM.
post #24096 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I did some testing going from the Roku directly to the Nano AVR. The video was perfect. I tried an Apple TV to the Oppo and it worked perfectly. It appears to be an issue with the Roku and the Oppo. I am going to try the new Roku Premiere tomorrow to see if that works better.
Did you ever get in touch with Oppo about this issue with your 103 and 2016/16 rocku players? I also contacted and went back and forth with them about the hdmi 1 jitter issue with Roku players, but they never contacted me with a solution or any update.
post #24097 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post
Did you ever get in touch with Oppo about this issue with your 103 and 2016/16 rocku players? I also contacted and went back and forth with them about the hdmi 1 jitter issue with Roku players, but they never contacted me with a solution or any update.
Not about the 103, but I ended up sending the 105D in for service and they couldn't replicate th issue (they must not know what they were looking for). They replaced the decoder board as a precaution but the same thing is happening when I got it back.

Must be an incompatibility between these units (and the new Apple TV). Only thing I can get to work is the old Apple TV (3rd gen).

I bet this is something they could fix with a firmware update. Only seems to affect new devices.

Last edited by raynist; 11-30-2016 at 01:21 PM.
post #24098 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 12:54 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherSteel View Post
Just purchased this and also have the Vizio P65 4k UHD tv. Any settings I need to do to make everything work perfectly? I am going through an Onkyo receiver that is 4K ready/pass through.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
The FAQ has general suggestions: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

It recommends 1080p for output resolution, but that was before 4k displays became common. You can try both 1080p and 4k output to see if there is a difference. I don't on my display; I leave it at 4k.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #24099 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 74
My OPPO 103 has developed a strange problem recently. When I switch to the OPPO input, my display turns green and I have to reboot the OPPO to get any video out of it. When I had my home theater upgraded this was not an issue. At first when the problem occurred, it would be sporadic, but now does it all the time. I have learned that if I leave a disk in the OPPO that the green screen does not appear the next time that it is turned on.

This would appears to be a handshake issue of some sort, but it did not occur when my home theater was upgraded, and as I stated above, at first the problem occurred sporadically, but now all the time.

My thought is that it might be something malfunctioning in the OPPO. BTW, there have not been any firmware changes With any of my gear when the problem started to occur.

Does anyone have any ideas or had a similar problem with their 103?

Thanks.

A/V SYSTEM: Sony Z9D 75" LCD main, LG EF9500 OLED, Anthem 525 5.1 channel amp, Anthem AVM 60 processor, ProAc D80 L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surround Speakers, SVS SB12+ Sub, Oppo 103 BD, TiVo Bolt, PS Audio P10 power plant, dedicated 20 amp lines, Auralex room treatments, black out curtains.
2 CHANNEL: Aurender N10 music server, Ayre SACD player, Ayre QX-5 DAC, PS Audio DS DAC, ARC Ref6 preamp, ARC Ref 75SE or Ayre VX-5 Twenty amps, Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers
post #24100 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 01:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator

It sounds like a disagreement about correct color space, and yes that should be determined by HDMI handshake.

What do you have for color space and resolution in the player setup? I would suggest specific values rather than Auto anything.

Sometimes this can be fixed by the correct power up sequence, like display always first, player always last. Or the reverse. Try an experiment with that and see if you can get consistent results.

-Bill
Bob Fosse likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #24101 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 212
He should also check to see if his HDMI cable is loose. Sometimes just reseating the cable will make this kind of problem disappear. HDMI is one of those wonderful technologies that can produce different results every time.
Bob Fosse and wmcclain like this.

post #24102 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post
When I had my home theater upgraded this was not an issue. At first when the problem occurred, it would be sporadic, but now does it all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
He should also check to see if his HDMI cable is loose. Sometimes just reseating the cable will make this kind of problem disappear. HDMI is one of those wonderful technologies that can produce different results every time.
The description of progressively worsening handshake failures does suggest CABLE. And keep in mind its not always the cable you think it is, there could be 2 or more in the video chain. Ghastly Green and Passion Pink are the result of a display confusing RGB and YcbCr input. Sometimes this can be resolved simply by settings, like Bill suggested, avoid "auto" anything.
Bob Fosse likes this.
post #24103 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It sounds like a disagreement about correct color space, and yes that should be determined by HDMI handshake.

What do you have for color space and resolution in the player setup? I would suggest specific values rather than Auto anything.

Sometimes this can be fixed by the correct power up sequence, like display always first, player always last. Or the reverse. Try an experiment with that and see if you can get consistent results.

-Bill
Bill,

I have color space on "Auto." Other choices that I see are RGB Video Level, RGB PC Level, YCbCr 4:4:4, and YCbCr 4:4:4. Which choice do you recommend?

Resolution is also "Auto." I now have a 4K TV. I didn't mention that I have a Darbee between my A/V processor and TV which as you know will not pass 4K. Thinking that the Darbee might be responsible for the green screen, I temporarly removed it, but still had the "Green screen." BTW, I use the Apps from my TV for 4K material such as Netflix until I get a OPPO 203. Then I will use another HDMI input on the TV for that once that I get the 203 which will bypass the Darbee.

The TV powers up before the OPPO. However, even when the TV is on and on another source like the TiVo, when I switch it to the 103, the green screen appears. As I've stated, having a disk in the OPPO even if it's turned off will prevent the "green screen" when turning the OPPO on. Do not know how that can affect the green screen from appearing, but it is a workaround so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Thanks. I just unplugged my HDMI connections and repluuged them in. Thanks. Yes, HDMI can be a frustrating and unpredictable technology with all those handshakes

A/V SYSTEM: Sony Z9D 75" LCD main, LG EF9500 OLED, Anthem 525 5.1 channel amp, Anthem AVM 60 processor, ProAc D80 L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surround Speakers, SVS SB12+ Sub, Oppo 103 BD, TiVo Bolt, PS Audio P10 power plant, dedicated 20 amp lines, Auralex room treatments, black out curtains.
2 CHANNEL: Aurender N10 music server, Ayre SACD player, Ayre QX-5 DAC, PS Audio DS DAC, ARC Ref6 preamp, ARC Ref 75SE or Ayre VX-5 Twenty amps, Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers
post #24104 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 07:06 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Bill,

I have color space on "Auto." Other choices that I see are RGB Video Level, RGB PC Level, YCbCr 4:4:4, and YCbCr 4:4:4. Which choice do you recommend?
4:4:4 is supposed to be the actual default for HDMI. Use that instead of Auto so we don't strain the chips tiny little minds.

I'd also set resolution to 1080p, which you need to accomodate the Darblet. Again, specific is less strain on the logic than Auto.

-Bill
Bob Fosse likes this.

post #24105 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The description of progressively worsening handshake failures does suggest CABLE. And keep in mind its not always the cable you think it is, there could be 2 or more in the video chain. Ghastly Green and Passion Pink are the result of a display confusing RGB and YcbCr input. Sometimes this can be resolved simply by settings, like Bill suggested, avoid "auto" anything.
Yes, I was thinking that it could be a cable too, but I still don't understand why leaving a disk in the tray of the OPPO will prevent the Green Screen unless it's a coincidence so far?

So you think that it might be best to experiment with the settings other than auto ( RGB Video Level, RGB PC Level, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2)? Is one preferred over another, and if so, do you know why? Thanks.

post #24106 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
4:4:4 is supposed to be the actual default for HDMI. Use that instead of Auto so we don't strain the chips tiny little minds.

I'd also set resolution to 1080p, which you need to accomodate the Darblet. Again, specific is less strain on the logic than Auto.

-Bill
Thanks Bill. I'll try that and report back.

Bob

post #24107 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
Yes, I was thinking that it could be a cable too, but I still don't understand why leaving a disk in the tray of the OPPO will prevent the Green Screen unless it's a coincidence so far?

So you think that it might be best to experiment with the settings other than auto ( RGB Video Level, RGB PC Level, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2)? Is one preferred over another, and if so, do you know why? Thanks.
The player boots up in RGB, then switches to whatever when it handshakes with the TV. Hence the confusion between devices if that handshake gets dropped. That's also why changing the power-on sequence sometimes helps. When there's a disk in the player it loads and forces another handshake, usually a bit quicker than normal.

Unless your TV requires RGB set to 4:4:4 and deep color off.
Bob Fosse likes this.
post #24108 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Bill,

I tried what you suggested, but still have the issue.

Without a disk loaded in the 103, even when it's off and I have TiVo on, then when I switch back to OPPO, the 103 will turn on, the "OPPO logo" screen will display, then my TV monitor will go blank, then come back on with the message, "no signal", and finally the green screen will appear. When it does and I load a disk, I will get sound but still the green screen. When I load a disk back in the player, and then go back to TiVo or the TVs internal Apps, and then back to OPPO the disk will play with no green screen. Very strange.

If it were a cable, then I wonder why I get the "OPPO logo" when first turning on the 103 as outlined above before the other sequences occur leading up to the green screen?

Could it be my 103 is stating to malfunction?

post #24109 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 07:51 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Bill,

I tried what you suggested, but still have the issue.

Without a disk loaded in the 103, even when it's off and I have TiVo on, then when I switch back to OPPO, the 103 will turn on, the "OPPO logo" screen will display, then my TV monitor will go blank, then come back on with the message, "no signal", and finally the green screen will appear. When it does and I load a disk, I will get sound but still the green screen. When I load a disk back in the player, and then go back to TiVo or the TVs internal Apps, and then back to OPPO the disk will play with no green screen. Very strange.

If it were a cable, then I wonder why I get the "OPPO logo" when first turning on the 103 as outlined above before the other sequences occur leading up to the green screen?

Could it be my 103 is stating to malfunction?
Anything's possible, but I would look at configuration issues first. With something weird like this it is good to simplify as much as possible, see if it works, then add in the other components one by one.

Can you connect the player directly to the display, removing the AVR and the Darbee temporarily?

Also try switching the cable at the OPPO between HDMI1 and HDMI2 to see if that makes a difference.

-Bill
Bob Fosse likes this.

post #24110 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The player boots up in RGB, then switches to whatever when it handshakes with the TV. Hence the confusion between devices if that handshake gets dropped. That's also why changing the power-on sequence sometimes helps. When there's a disk in the player it loads and forces another handshake, usually a bit quicker than normal.

Unless your TV requires RGB set to 4:4:4 and deep color off.
Thanks. Maybe that's why it works with a disk in the player and a handshake loss.

My new HT rig has a URC universal remote programmed by my custom installer so I can't change sequence like I did with my old system when I had the Harmony remote. I'll have to check with my installer about this, but will be getting the OPPO 203 one of these days soon so in the meantime will use the workaround with keeping a disk loaded in the 103 all the time.

Anyway, it's strange that there were no issues until recently even though no changes were made to my existing system.

Again thanks to you and the others for the help and suggestions. It's most appreciated.

Bob

post #24111 of 24115 Old 11-30-2016, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anything's possible, but I would look at configuration issues first. With something weird like this it is good to simplify as much as possible, see if it works, then add in the other components one by one.

Can you connect the player directly to the display, removing the AVR and the Darbee temporarily?

Also try switching the cable at the OPPO between HDMI1 and HDMI2 to see if that makes a difference.

-Bill
yes, I can try those things. Thanks,for the suggestions. I'll try tomorrow and let you know. My wife is now watching the TV so can't disturb her

Bob

post #24112 of 24115 Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-Bill
Switching from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 on the OPPO did the trick in stopping the "Green Screen."

Next I put the 103 back to HDMI 1 and connected the OPPO directly to my TV. That also worked so it is apparently the complex chain of HDMI handshakes that is causing the Green Screen problem. As I've stated before, I've made no other changes in my system and have also removed my external Darbee which did not help either.

As I recall, the OPPO HDMI 1 output is preferred over HDMI 2 due to the better processing.

Until I get the OPPO 203, I will continue to keep a disk in the 103's tray which also solves the issue.

Why this problem didn't occur at first when my sytsem was upgraded with my new gear is a mystery, and when it did start, it was sporadic, but is now consistent unless I leave a disk in the 103.

post #24113 of 24115 Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 1224
Quote:
Switching from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 on the OPPO did the trick in stopping the "Green Screen."

Next I put the 103 back to HDMI 1 and connected the OPPO directly to my TV. That also worked so it is apparently the complex chain of HDMI handshakes that is causing the Green Screen problem. As I've stated before, I've made no other changes in my system and have also removed my external Darbee which did not help either.

As I recall, the OPPO HDMI 1 output is preferred over HDMI 2 due to the better processing.

Until I get the OPPO 203, I will continue to keep a disk in the 103's tray which also solves the issue.

Why this problem didn't occur at first when my sytsem was upgraded with my new gear is a mystery, and when it did start, it was sporadic, but is now consistent unless I leave a disk in the 103.
Parts wear out over time and use. What happened once a week now happens once a day.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #24114 of 24115 Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Parts wear out over time and use. What happened once a week now happens once a day.

Except for the OPPO and TiVo, all my gear and cables are new.

If I'm not mistaken, Bill wanted me to try the following configurations outlined above to try to to locate the source and if it's a handshake issue. When I did what he suggested, the problem went away so that appears to indicate that the problem is not a malfunction of the OPPO or a cable, but rather a handshake issue.

post #24115 of 24115 Old Today, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 9
have always had issues with my bdp-103 not consistently seeing my networked external hard drive (movie files), oppo reboots were often required, now it won't see the drive regardless of what i do, can someone please help?

my setup:

- windows 10 pc lan wired to router
- external hard drive connected to windows 10 pc
- lan wire connection from router to hub
- tablet (windows os) lan wired to to hub
- oppo lan wired to hub
- yamaha cx-a5100 receiver lan wired to hub

- the oppo can see the tablet
- the tablet (windows os) can see the oppo, the yamaha receiver, and the external hard drive (windows pc)
- the windows 10 pc can see the tablet (windows os), the oppo, the external hard drive (windows pc) and the yamaha receiver

what i've done to trouble shoot:

- rebooted all devices.
- unplugged and then re-plugged all devices
- tried different lan cables
- updated oppo firmware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc