Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 805 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 804Likes
post #24121 of 24128 Unread Yesterday, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
.... re dlna and smb, i have no idea what i'm using, i just set up the network using windows network and sharing center...
It makes a difference. SMB shares show up in the Network screen with little icons that look like 2 PCs. DNLA servers will show up with a proprietary icon like the Windows icon, or a different generic icon. As a rule Windows will set up DNLA services which are, shall we say, unreliable. But it can also set up SMB shares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24122 of 24128 Unread Yesterday, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
it makes a difference. Smb shares show up in the network screen with little icons that look like 2 pcs. Dnla servers will show up with a proprietary icon like the windows ichttp://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1804529&stc=1&d=148078 8779on, or a different generic icon. As a rule windows will set up dnla services which are, shall we say, unreliable. But it can also set up smb shares.
are you referring to either of these two screens?

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1804529

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1804537
post #24123 of 24128 Unread Yesterday, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
are you referring to either of these two screens?
No, the Oppo's network screen
post #24124 of 24128 Unread Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Quote:
No, the Oppo's network screen
ok, gotcha, thanks very much, in that case my network has always been set to smb, i've always had the 2 pcs icon on my oppo screen.... so should i try to make it dnla? don't really know how to do this... also, i did remove and reset all permissions on the external hard drive, didn't resolve the issue...
post #24125 of 24128 Unread Yesterday, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
ok, gotcha, thanks very much, in that case my network has always been set to smb, i've always had the 2 pcs icon on my oppo screen.... so should i try to make it dnla? don't really know how to do this... also, i did remove and reset all permissions on the external hard drive, didn't resolve the issue...
It's hard to say without being there, but it sounds like the problem is at the source, not in the player. You can try doing a full reset of the player and select the option to remove all accounts.
post #24126 of 24128 Unread Yesterday, 11:02 PM

Quote:
It's hard to say without being there, but it sounds like the problem is at the source, not in the player. You can try doing a full reset of the player and select the option to remove all accounts.
thing is, if it was a problem at the source (external hard drive), why would the hard drive been seen by all of the other networked devices, not only seen but perfectly functional? for example, the tablet (diagram below) has always seen the hard drive just fine and has never had a problem streaming movie files from it...

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1806321
post #24127 of 24128 Unread Today, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Hi aeneas01,

If you're interested, there is a dedicated topic about DLNA/UPnP file sharing. Which can be found here: Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread

That being said. As your media file collection grows along with the number of devices you wish to play them on, you may want to consider different file storage options, such as an NAS.

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #24128 of 24128 Unread Today, 07:30 AM

well after resetting permissions again, this time for all shared folders, and rebooting my pc, lo and behold the external drive can now, once again, be seen by the oppo... interestingly tho, the twin pc icon only appears next to server (external hard drive) in the oppo screen, whereas a windows-like device icon appears next to the tablet, iirc they both used to have the twin pc icon, but i'm not positive... hopefully the advice to change the oppo setting from quick-start to energy efficient will keep the connection stable, fingers crossed... anyway thanks very much for your help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc