Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 805 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 804Likes
post #24121 of 24139 Old 12-03-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
.... re dlna and smb, i have no idea what i'm using, i just set up the network using windows network and sharing center...
It makes a difference. SMB shares show up in the Network screen with little icons that look like 2 PCs. DNLA servers will show up with a proprietary icon like the Windows icon, or a different generic icon. As a rule Windows will set up DNLA services which are, shall we say, unreliable. But it can also set up SMB shares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24122 of 24139 Old 12-03-2016, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
it makes a difference. Smb shares show up in the network screen with little icons that look like 2 pcs. Dnla servers will show up with a proprietary icon like the windows ichttp://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1804529&stc=1&d=148078 8779on, or a different generic icon. As a rule windows will set up dnla services which are, shall we say, unreliable. But it can also set up smb shares.
are you referring to either of these two screens?

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1804529

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1804537
post #24123 of 24139 Old 12-03-2016, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
are you referring to either of these two screens?
No, the Oppo's network screen
post #24124 of 24139 Old 12-03-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
No, the Oppo's network screen
ok, gotcha, thanks very much, in that case my network has always been set to smb, i've always had the 2 pcs icon on my oppo screen.... so should i try to make it dnla? don't really know how to do this... also, i did remove and reset all permissions on the external hard drive, didn't resolve the issue...
post #24125 of 24139 Old 12-03-2016, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
ok, gotcha, thanks very much, in that case my network has always been set to smb, i've always had the 2 pcs icon on my oppo screen.... so should i try to make it dnla? don't really know how to do this... also, i did remove and reset all permissions on the external hard drive, didn't resolve the issue...
It's hard to say without being there, but it sounds like the problem is at the source, not in the player. You can try doing a full reset of the player and select the option to remove all accounts.
post #24126 of 24139 Old 12-03-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
It's hard to say without being there, but it sounds like the problem is at the source, not in the player. You can try doing a full reset of the player and select the option to remove all accounts.
thing is, if it was a problem at the source (external hard drive), why would the hard drive been seen by all of the other networked devices, not only seen but perfectly functional? for example, the tablet (diagram below) has always seen the hard drive just fine and has never had a problem streaming movie files from it...

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1806321
post #24127 of 24139 Old 12-04-2016, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Hi aeneas01,

If you're interested, there is a dedicated topic about DLNA/UPnP file sharing. Which can be found here: Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread

That being said. As your media file collection grows along with the number of devices you wish to play them on, you may want to consider different file storage options, such as an NAS.

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #24128 of 24139 Old 12-04-2016, 07:30 AM

well after resetting permissions again, this time for all shared folders, and rebooting my pc, lo and behold the external drive can now, once again, be seen by the oppo... interestingly tho, the twin pc icon only appears next to server (external hard drive) in the oppo screen, whereas a windows-like device icon appears next to the tablet, iirc they both used to have the twin pc icon, but i'm not positive... hopefully the advice to change the oppo setting from quick-start to energy efficient will keep the connection stable, fingers crossed... anyway thanks very much for your help guys!
post #24129 of 24139 Unread Today, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Can I pass Netflix 4K movies from Oppo 103 to my 4K TV with a Darblet connected in between or should I not use the external Darblet with 103 for that purpose?
post #24130 of 24139 Unread Today, 08:34 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
Can I pass Netflix 4K movies from Oppo 103 to my 4K TV with a Darblet connected in between or should I not use the external Darblet with 103 for that purpose?
Neither the OPPO nor the Darblet will pass 4k video. The OPPO will output 4k as upscaled video, but will not accept 4k input.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #24131 of 24139 Unread Today, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Neither the OPPO nor the Darblet will pass 4k video. The OPPO will output 4k as upscaled video, but will not accept 4k input.

-Bill
Hi Bill,
The Oppo 103 manual says it can output 4Kx2K:
Auto (default)

– Output 4Kx2K if the resolution is supported by the display and the content is
suitable for 4K up-scaling. The player automatically checks for 4K compatibility of the TV or

projector. If the display is compatible and the content being played has a 24Hz (or 23.976Hz)

frame rate, the player sends 4Kx2K video from its HDMI output terminal; otherwise, the HDMI

video is sent out at 1080p resolution or less depending on the display’s capability.

post #24132 of 24139 Unread Today, 09:07 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Hi Bill,
The Oppo 103 manual says it can output 4Kx2K:
Yes, it can produce it but it cannot accept it. You are not getting 4K Netflix programming in the player, are you?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #24133 of 24139 Unread Today, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Yes, it can produce it but it cannot accept it. You are not getting 4K Netflix programming in the player, are you?

-Bill
No, I just wanted to plan for it.

But if it does not accept 4K from Netflix, I'll have no choice but to use the TV's Netflix. I just wanted to use Oppo for Netflix 4K for the DD+ audio (since optical from TV only passes the basic DD audio).

Unfortunately, BDP-203 is going to be missing many features that 103 offers when it comes out. Hopefully, it will be updated to where 103 is today.
post #24134 of 24139 Unread Today, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:

But if it does not accept 4K from Netflix, I'll have no choice but to use the TV's Netflix. I just wanted to use Oppo for Netflix 4K for the DD+ audio (since optical from TV only passes the basic DD audio).

Unfortunately, BDP-203 is going to be missing many features that 103 offers when it comes out. Hopefully, it will be updated to where 103 is today.
Things may be a little messier than you think.

To receive a Netflix 4K stream you need a device which is 4K such as your TV, and if you're using an app then that app has to be written to accept 4K. Mu understanding is that Netflix write all of the Netflix apps you see on players and TVs, and they write them for whatever operating system the device is running plus I think the app "tells" the Netflix server what resolution it can send, whether or not the device can accept HDR, and what sort of HDR encoding it can accept.

I've got a 105, an LG E6 display, and the Samsung UHD player which I bought as a temporary measure for playing UHD discs until the 203 is released. All have Netflix apps. Like your 103, my 105 only accepts 1080p input so 4K offerings do not get listed. The Samsung is a 4K device and it displays 4K offerings but it doesn't display any of the Dolby Vision HDR encoded offerings Netflix has because the Samsung player is not DV capable so it shows just the SDR 4K versions. The E6 is 4K and can handle Dolby Vision so it lets me access the DV encoded 4K versions but I run into problems with lip sync and audio formats at times so I ended up buying a Chromecast Ultra which is 4K and can accept both HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR encodings and I can get the best audio from it. I connect it directly to my AVR. I don't know if Netflix has any 4K content with HDR10 encoding but I'm in Australia and they have a smaller range of offerings here. The only HDR encoded content I've come across on Netflix so far has all been DV encoded.

So your best bet until the 203 gets some of the hoped for feature improvements such as streaming apps from Netflix and other providers and Dolby Vision capability is some sort of streaming device such as the Chromecast Ultra which works quite well. You won't be able to connect it to one of your 103's HDMI inputs for video processing because they don't accept 4K, you'll need to connect it to a 4K capable AVR or one of your TV's HDMI inputs, but you will be able to connect it to the HDMI input on the 203 if you get one.

So that is really your options at the moment: use the TV app or get something like the Chromecast Ultra.

If all that is worrying you is not being able to get DD+ audio, check out what your TV can pass to your AVR via the audio return channel. You may be able to get DD+ audio to your receiver that way.
post #24135 of 24139 Unread Today, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

The only things the 203 will be missing for sure on release are the streaming apps (such as for Netflix, Hulu, etc.). No one has indicated any of the other features will be missing. The streaming apps are expected to be added at a later (unknown currently) date. You can still expect to have DLNA/SMB network streaming, all the various audio and video disc and file formats support, 7.1 analog outputs, etc., etc.

post #24136 of 24139 Unread Today, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
Things may be a little messier than you think.

To receive a Netflix 4K stream you need a device which is 4K such as your TV, and if you're using an app then that app has to be written to accept 4K. Mu understanding is that Netflix write all of the Netflix apps you see on players and TVs, and they write them for whatever operating system the device is running plus I think the app "tells" the Netflix server what resolution it can send, whether or not the device can accept HDR, and what sort of HDR encoding it can accept.

I've got a 105, an LG E6 display, and the Samsung UHD player which I bought as a temporary measure for playing UHD discs until the 203 is released. All have Netflix apps. Like your 103, my 105 only accepts 1080p input so 4K offerings do not get listed. The Samsung is a 4K device and it displays 4K offerings but it doesn't display any of the Dolby Vision HDR encoded offerings Netflix has because the Samsung player is not DV capable so it shows just the SDR 4K versions. The E6 is 4K and can handle Dolby Vision so it lets me access the DV encoded 4K versions but I run into problems with lip sync and audio formats at times so I ended up buying a Chromecast Ultra which is 4K and can accept both HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR encodings and I can get the best audio from it. I connect it directly to my AVR. I don't know if Netflix has any 4K content with HDR10 encoding but I'm in Australia and they have a smaller range of offerings here. The only HDR encoded content I've come across on Netflix so far has all been DV encoded.

So your best bet until the 203 gets some of the hoped for feature improvements such as streaming apps from Netflix and other providers and Dolby Vision capability is some sort of streaming device such as the Chromecast Ultra which works quite well. You won't be able to connect it to one of your 103's HDMI inputs for video processing because they don't accept 4K, you'll need to connect it to a 4K capable AVR or one of your TV's HDMI inputs, but you will be able to connect it to the HDMI input on the 203 if you get one.

So that is really your options at the moment: use the TV app or get something like the Chromecast Ultra.

If all that is worrying you is not being able to get DD+ audio, check out what your TV can pass to your AVR via the audio return channel. You may be able to get DD+ audio to your receiver that way.
Many thanks for the info.

I think I'll go with Chromecast Ultra and connect it to my processor. ARC cannot pass DD+ either.
post #24137 of 24139 Unread Today, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Many thanks for the info.

I think I'll go with Chromecast Ultra and connect it to my processor. ARC cannot pass DD+ either.
I think ARC can pass DD+ but the problem may be the TV because they tend to have their own idiosyncrasies about what they will or won't pass. The HDMI connection itself can handle it.

I've just checked the specs for the Chromecast Ultra and can't find anything which says it can stream DD+. In fact there isn't anything saying what kind of audio soundtracks can or can't be streamed so you may want to check on its capabilities.
post #24138 of 24139 Unread Today, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
I think ARC can pass DD+ but the problem may be the TV because they tend to have their own idiosyncrasies about what they will or won't pass. The HDMI connection itself can handle it.

I've just checked the specs for the Chromecast Ultra and can't find anything which says it can stream DD+. In fact there isn't anything saying what kind of audio soundtracks can or can't be streamed so you may want to check on its capabilities.
Ash Sharma (one of the users) uses Chromecast Ultra connected to his Marantz processor and he confirmed that Chromecast passes DD+ and Atmos to his processor.
post #24139 of 24139 Unread Today, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
But does it support Amazon Prime Video? I think not. That's a big drawback for me. Amazon doesn't even carry the device.

Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page