Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 811 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 904Likes

post #24301 of 24674 Old 01-15-2017, 12:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3187 Post(s)
Liked: 4095
^ There's a Remote control page in the MediaControl app. Anything you can do with the normal Remote you can also do with MediaControl using that page if there isn't a special page already for it in the app.

During Photo viewing, rotation is accomplished with the Left and Right Arrow buttons.

See page 46 of the User Manual.
--Bob
calidoc75 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24302 of 24674 Old 01-15-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ There's a Remote control page in the MediaControl app. Anything you can do with the normal Remote you can also do with MediaControl using that page if there isn't a special page already for it in the app.

During Photo viewing, rotation is accomplished with the Left and Right Arrow buttons.

See page 46 of the User Manual.
--Bob
But you can't rotate the list of file names, right? This is what I get on my iPhone. The full name of one of these folders can't be read (e.g., 'Rachmaninoff - Concerto 2 -- Wild Horenstein RPO").
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OppoScreen.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1897025  

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1 (also used for music playback in the main system, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #24303 of 24674 Old 01-15-2017, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi 103 Owners. I have jumped ship from the 203 owners and joined your ranks instead.

I had originally wanted a 103D and was waiting for Christmas to buy it. Of course they got discontinued and Oppo started taking pre-orders for the 203.

Luckily, the local store sold me the 103D they had been using for a demo.

I love the Darbee on my DLP TV! It's a better picture now than what I was getting with the 203.

The 203 has been pretty flakey, I have to turned everything off/on to get sound or video sometimes. I am sending back to Oppo tomorrow.

post #24304 of 24674 Old 01-15-2017, 01:44 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 3013 Post(s)
Liked: 2288
We have a separate 103D thread: Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #24305 of 24674 Old 01-15-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by andr0id View Post
Hi 103 Owners. I have jumped ship from the 203 owners and joined your ranks instead.

I had originally wanted a 103D and was waiting for Christmas to buy it. Of course they got discontinued and Oppo started taking pre-orders for the 203.

Luckily, the local store sold me the 103D they had been using for a demo.

I love the Darbee on my DLP TV! It's a better picture now than what I was getting with the 203.

The 203 has been pretty flakey, I have to turned everything off/on to get sound or video sometimes. I am sending back to Oppo tomorrow.
Welcome, I did the same as you. I couldn't stand the audio/video issues of the 203 that I had to send it back as well.

lujan
171 Ultra HD
817 HD
19 HD DVD
4 SD
post #24306 of 24674 Old 01-15-2017, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey everyone. I own the 103D. It's 1 year old. Latest firmware. Never had wireless issues until recently. I had an Apple Airport Extreme that died after 3 years. Upgraded to the best router on the market, the Asus AC88U and I'm having constant disconnects on Netflix while streaming. Any ideas?

Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA
Yamaha RX-A1050
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 L/C/R w/ TP-24 Stands
Rythmik Audio FV15HP
Oppo BDP-103D
Logitech Harmony 650
post #24307 of 24674 Old 01-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The usual reason for Wifi problems is interference, either from neighbor's Wifi setups or from other devices like microwaves or cordless telephones.

The fix for that problem is typically to set your Wifi base to use a different channel from the one it picked automatically.

The Wifi in your 103D operates on the 2.4GHz Wifi radio band. So if your base station provides both 2.4GHZ and 5GHz Wifi, it's the channel for the 2.4GHz band which is the one to adjust.

Distance from the base and stuff in between the base and the Wifi dongle on the OPPO can also be a factor. The USB extender included with your 103D can be used to reposition the Wifi dongle for better reception.

The Setup > Network Setup > Connection Information page will show you the signal strength the Wifi is receiving from the base.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #24308 of 24674 Old 01-15-2017, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Welcome, I did the same as you. I couldn't stand the audio/video issues of the 203 that I had to send it back as well.
Same issues here with the 203...still considering sticking it out vs. sending it back.
post #24309 of 24674 Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Dolby TrueHD/Seamless Branching

I previously posted concerning audio interruptions on the "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" Director's Cut corrected disc Blu-ray with firmware BDP10X-83-0918B. I submitted the issue to Oppo. I tested it again with BDP10X-83-1226B and found no difference and have been communicating with Oppo Service about it. I have found 4 audio interruptions on the Director's Version so far.

I found that I only have one other disc that has the combination of seamless branching and a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. Although I owned it before purchasing the BDP-103, I don't believe I ever played it on the 103 before last night. It is "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition. It turns out to be an excellent comparison disc as it not only has 3 alternate versions through seamless branching, but 3 lossless soundtracks (English DTS-HD Master Audio, English and French Dolby TrueHD) as well. I've found that both TrueHD soundtracks fail to bitstream seamlessly over HDMI on two of the versions, while the DTS-HD Master Audio plays seamlessly. I have identified 8 audio interruptions so far on the original version that occur in both the English and French TrueHD tracks.

I'm continuing to work with Oppo Service on this, and may end up sending them one or both discs for testing.

I know the 8X and 9X players had an issue with this, but my understanding is that the BDP-10X players are supposed to be able to seamlessly bitstream Dolby TrueHD with seamless branching.

As rare as the Blu-ray disc with both seamless branching and Dolby TrueHD seems to be, I'm wondering if anyone has positively confirmed uninterrupted playback of all branched versions of such a disc while verifying Dolby TrueHD bitstream output over HDMI to an audio receiver that accepts and decodes the full Dolby TrueHD bitstream. If anyone has I'd appreciate your sharing the title(s) with me. If you have either the Star Trek or Close Encounters discs and would be willing to test them, I'm happy to PM you the details of where I'm experiencing the audio interruptions (version, chapter and time references).
gsr likes this.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 01-21-2017 at 09:19 PM.
post #24310 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very odd problem with "A Hologram for the King" DVD (not BluRay), a movie I really enjoyed: Oppo 103 will not play the end of the movie. It jumps back to the FBI warnings and restarts when I get about 7 minutes from the end. The disc looks clean and new. I had to watch the end using my computer's DVD-R drive. Puzzling...

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1 (also used for music playback in the main system, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #24311 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 04:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I know the 8X and 9X players had an issue with this, but my understanding is that the BDP-10X players are supposed to be able to seamlessly bitstream Dolby TrueHD with seamless branching.
That was my impression, also.

Thanks for being so systematic about this. It really helps the engineers diagnose a problem when they have documented, reproduceable cases.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #24312 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 04:48 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Very odd problem with "A Hologram for the King" DVD (not BluRay), a movie I really enjoyed: Oppo 103 will not play the end of the movie. It jumps back to the FBI warnings and restarts when I get about 7 minutes from the end. The disc looks clean and new. I had to watch the end using my computer's DVD-R drive. Puzzling...
That is odd. DVDs can still surprise.

You are letting the disc begin normally, not skipping the intro material via the yellow button? I use that feature all the time, but we have had cases where it messed up playback by skipping some setup stage.

I wonder if the missing end is at a chapter break? Can you use the GOTO button on the remote to jump into that section, either by chapter or time code?

Do you use any DVD backup software on your computer? I find discs that vlc will play, but the backup software complains about weird disc structures.

-Bill

post #24313 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^The place where the disc restarted was in the middle of Ch. 16, the second-to-last chapter (the last chapter is the credits).

Actually, I'd forgotten about the yellow button shortcut, so every time I tried to select the final chapter from the disc menu, the disc would restart with the FBI warnings. If I loaded the disc and selected an earlier chapter, then fast forwarded to Ch. 16 and the disc would restart). The disc is a brand-new, unscratched copy from my local library, so I'm not fussing too much about it. I just thought it was odd.

I don't use any backup software yet; I just got a new backup drive. VLC played this quirky disc without a problem.

post #24314 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
^^The place where the disc restarted was in the middle of Ch. 16, the second-to-last chapter (the last chapter is the credits).

Actually, I'd forgotten about the yellow button shortcut, so every time I tried to select the final chapter from the disc menu, the disc would restart with the FBI warnings. If I loaded the disc and selected an earlier chapter, then fast forwarded to Ch. 16 and the disc would restart). The disc is a brand-new, unscratched copy from my local library, so I'm not fussing too much about it. I just thought it was odd.

I don't use any backup software yet; I just got a new backup drive. VLC played this quirky disc without a problem.
My concern is that if there is a new DVD authoring or copy protection scheme loose in the wild, then OPPO ought to be informed. So if you could get them your test details and the UPC from the disc case, that would be very welcome.

-Bill
gsr and pbarach like this.

post #24315 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

When the disc gets to the point where it restarts, is there a pause first, like it is thinking about it? If so that sounds like the player is doing Disc Read Error Recovery, and not finding a place to continue after that it gets to the end of the disc.

Since the disc is playing on other players, this could indicate a problem in the Red laser in your player. Perhaps it is dirty, or perhaps it is having trouble tracking properly towards the end of the disc. The way to check this is to try some other SD-DVD discs in the OPPO. If you have problems towards the end of those too, then talk to OPPO Tech Support about getting the player serviced.
--Bob
pbarach likes this.

post #24316 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Firmware issue

I have owned my 103 since they were first released. I have not had one single issue with it, with the exception of the blue light on the wifi toggle not lighting anymore. But now I have a slight firmware issue. Every single time I start the player I get a notice that new firmware is available. But when I go to update the firmware I get a message that I have the latest firmware installed. And it doesn't allow me to go any further. On Oppo's website they do list the latest official firmware as, BDP10X-83-0715, which is what I now have installed. There is a public beta test version dated January 9. Another issue is that I tried to install the firmware via wifi. but I attempted to download the firmware from Oppo's website using 3 different browsers and it will not download.

Thanks for any assistance in resolving this.
post #24317 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't think I've seen this issue specifically addressed: Is there a recommended procedure for attaching an internal (bare) hard drive to one of the USB ports? I'm connecting various 2TB drives via an Oasis Desktop SATA Western Digital 3.5 External Hard Drive Adapter and I seem to have a great deal of difficulty getting the player to see an attached drive. The USB connection icon may or may not display, but even if it does, when I select the Movie icon, frequently all I see is No Drive. I have tried hot swapping drives, turning off the player and switching out the drives, and disconnecting and reconnecting both the power and USB cables from the adapter but getting the player to actually see the drive(s) seems random. Gracenote lookup is turned off, and all the drives are recognized with no problem when attached to my desktop.
I'm thinking the adapter may not be ideal. What do most people use to connect a bare hard drive to a USB port?

wfgds
post #24318 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfgds View Post
I don't think I've seen this issue specifically addressed: Is there a recommended procedure for attaching an internal (bare) hard drive to one of the USB ports? I'm connecting various 2TB drives via an Oasis Desktop SATA Western Digital 3.5 External Hard Drive Adapter and I seem to have a great deal of difficulty getting the player to see an attached drive. The USB connection icon may or may not display, but even if it does, when I select the Movie icon, frequently all I see is No Drive. I have tried hot swapping drives, turning off the player and switching out the drives, and disconnecting and reconnecting both the power and USB cables from the adapter but getting the player to actually see the drive(s) seems random. Gracenote lookup is turned off, and all the drives are recognized with no problem when attached to my desktop.
I'm thinking the adapter may not be ideal. What do most people use to connect a bare hard drive to a USB port?
I've used a couple varieties of those popup-toaster docs. External power and the ones I've had accept both 3.5 and 2.5" drives, the smaller ones being much more quiet.

Connectivity to the OPPO has been solidly reliable.

-Bill

post #24319 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I've used a couple varieties of those popup-toaster docs. External power and the ones I've had accept both 3.5 and 2.5" drives, the smaller ones being much more quiet.

Connectivity to the OPPO has been solidly reliable.

-Bill
Bill,
Yeah, I've just been looking at a couple of different kinds of docking stations like Sabrent, Thermaltake, etc. When you say connection to the Oppo has been reliable, does that include hot swapping drives while connected, with power on, or do you need to power off the player / disconnect the dock to get the player to see the drive?

wfgds
post #24320 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Stymied (again) by file sharing

Until yesterday, I had no problem with file sharing between my Windows 10 desktop machine which is connected to my home network via WiFi) and the Oppo 103 (which is connected to the network via Ethernet. Now I can see the DLNA server on the Oppo and stream files from it without a problem, but the name of my PC used to show up as one of the media servers, and now it doesn't. It also doesn't show up anymore on my AVR, which is also connected via Ethernet. But the name of my PC shows up on a WiFi-connected Windows laptop in the "network" section of My PC, and I can stream files from the Windows 10 PC desktop. Clearly the desktop is set up to stream files, because I can do so on the laptop.

Disabling the PC firewall and antivirus did not solve the problem. Rebooting the router did not solve the problem either. Unplugging the Ethernet cable from the 103 and connecting to the WiFi network using the supplied dongle also made n no difference.

Any suggestions ?

post #24321 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 11:45 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfgds View Post
Bill,
Yeah, I've just been looking at a couple of different kinds of docking stations like Sabrent, Thermaltake, etc. When you say connection to the Oppo has been reliable, does that include hot swapping drives while connected, with power on, or do you need to power off the player / disconnect the dock to get the player to see the drive?
I power down the dock before removing or inserting a drive, but not the player. No messing with the cables.

Looking at what I have now: a Thermaltake BlacX several years old. Black is good and the activity light points up so I don't have it flashing at me while I'm watching the TV. An awkward feature: the power button is in the rear so you have to reach around the drive to get at it.

I should say: I use this less than before, having switched to SMB network access for nearly all my media files.

-Bill

post #24322 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 11:49 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie E View Post
I have owned my 103 since they were first released. I have not had one single issue with it, with the exception of the blue light on the wifi toggle not lighting anymore. But now I have a slight firmware issue. Every single time I start the player I get a notice that new firmware is available. But when I go to update the firmware I get a message that I have the latest firmware installed. And it doesn't allow me to go any further. On Oppo's website they do list the latest official firmware as, BDP10X-83-0715, which is what I now have installed. There is a public beta test version dated January 9. Another issue is that I tried to install the firmware via wifi. but I attempted to download the firmware from Oppo's website using 3 different browsers and it will not download.

I don't know why you get the notification. Someone at OPPO might need to kick their server. You could send OPPO a note about this.

Which firmware are you trying to download, the same 83-0715 or the Jan 9 beta?

-Bill
Eddie E likes this.

post #24323 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 11:49 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
I don't know why you get the notification. Someone at OPPO might need to kick their server. You could send OPPO a note about this.

Which firmware are you trying to download, the same 83-0715 or the Jan 9 beta?

-Bill
Meant to add: you can turn off notification in Setup.

-Bill
Eddie E likes this.

post #24324 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 11:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Until yesterday, I had no problem with file sharing between my Windows 10 desktop machine which is connected to my home network via WiFi) and the Oppo 103 (which is connected to the network via Ethernet. Now I can see the DLNA server on the Oppo and stream files from it without a problem, but the name of my PC used to show up as one of the media servers, and now it doesn't. It also doesn't show up anymore on my AVR, which is also connected via Ethernet. But the name of my PC shows up on a WiFi-connected Windows laptop in the "network" section of My PC, and I can stream files from the Windows 10 PC desktop. Clearly the desktop is set up to stream files, because I can do so on the laptop.

Disabling the PC firewall and antivirus did not solve the problem. Rebooting the router did not solve the problem either. Unplugging the Ethernet cable from the 103 and connecting to the WiFi network using the supplied dongle also made n no difference.

Any suggestions ?
There was a recent report in one of the other threads here that a poster had discovered a recent Windows update had, as an unannounced side effect, also disabled Windows file sharing permissions. Once re-enabled his streaming worked again.
--Bob

post #24325 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I power down the dock before removing or inserting a drive, but not the player. No messing with the cables.

Looking at what I have now: a Thermaltake BlacX several years old. Black is good and the activity light points up so I don't have it flashing at me while I'm watching the TV. An awkward feature: the power button is in the rear so you have to reach around the drive to get at it.

I should say: I use this less than before, having switched to SMB network access for nearly all my media files.

-Bill
Bill,
Just the information I was looking for. I'm mostly connecting via USB so I don't have to have my PC on to watch a movie. At some point I'll probably invest in a Synology NAS, but that might be a ways off. Thanks much.

wfgds
post #24326 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There was a recent report in one of the other threads here that a poster had discovered a recent Windows update had, as an unannounced side effect, also disabled Windows file sharing permissions. Once re-enabled his streaming worked again.
--Bob
That was my post, I think. I already checked, and file sharing has remain turned on in the Network and Sharing Center of Win10.

I don't think that's the problem, because I can play those files on a laptop PC elsewhere in the house, and DLNA servers (oShare, Asset) work fine via Oppo, but the name of my PC simply does not show up on either the Oppo or the AVR regardless of whether those devices are connected to the home network via cable or wireless adapter.

post #24327 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie E View Post

I just did a download of the firmware file for install via USB stick for both the Official 83-0715 firmware and the Public Beta 83-1226B firmware and both downloads worked fine to my Mac using its Safari browser.

Let's make sure you are trying to download from the right place. If you have the North American version of the 103 you can get the Public Beta 83-1226B firmware from this OPPO Support page:

http://www.oppodigital.com/support/b...-83-1226B.aspx

Scroll down in that page to "Firmware Upgrade via a USB Thumb Drive" and the link to click on for the file download is right there, along with the simple instructions to do the install via USB stick.

------------------------------

Back to your original problem, a re-install of the firmware (might as well do the Public Beta firmware) may cure your problem with bogus firmware update notifications. There is a rare state the player can get into where it can not determine the version of firmware currently installed when it does the notification check, even though it correctly identifies which version you have when you actually go to try to do the install.

--Bob
Eddie E likes this.

post #24328 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Quote:

Any suggestions ?
Windows file sharing makes my head hurt, regularly.
My default problem solving procedure is to remove all sharing permissions from the shares in the PC, reboot then re-apply permissions again.
post #24329 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Meant to add: you can turn off notification in Setup.

-Bill
Thanks Bill, the latest firmware listed is BDP10X-83-1226B, dated Jan. 9. I forgot about turning off notifications. I'll do that, but like you suggested I'll also bring it up with Oppo.

~eddie
post #24330 of 24674 Old 01-22-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Let's make sure you are trying to download from the right place. If you have the North American version of the 103 you can get the Public Beta 83-1226B firmware from this OPPO Support page:

http://www.oppodigital.com/support/b...-83-1226B.aspx

Scroll down in that page to "Firmware Upgrade via a USB Thumb Drive" and the link to click on for the file download is right there, along with the simple instructions to do the install via USB stick.

------------------------------
--Bob
Apparantly I was attempting to download from the wrong place, here at,
https://www.oppodigital.com/support/...-Support.aspx/ I was able to download it from the link you provided. I'll flash it later and let you know how it works out. Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc