Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 814 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 880Likes
post #24391 of 24551 Old 02-01-2017, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone having issues with Neflix audio dropping out on their receiver? I'm running my 103 split A/V and have absolutely no issues when playing bluray/streaming local content however in Netflix I notice the audio drop out and my receiver shows DD+ 0db, goes blank, tries to come back to DD+ +4db and then never recovers. I have to re-cycle all components to get the audio back. Due to the fact I have no issues in any other scenario I wouldn't think it's the cable.
I noticed in the latest FW notes it mentions Netflix audio issue fix however didn't fix in my case it seams. Amp is an Onkyo NR807...getting on a bit I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24392 of 24551 Old 02-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettmckinney View Post
Anyone having issues with Neflix audio dropping out on their receiver? I'm running my 103 split A/V and have absolutely no issues when playing bluray/streaming local content however in Netflix I notice the audio drop out and my receiver shows DD+ 0db, goes blank, tries to come back to DD+ +4db and then never recovers. I have to re-cycle all components to get the audio back. Due to the fact I have no issues in any other scenario I wouldn't think it's the cable.
I noticed in the latest FW notes it mentions Netflix audio issue fix however didn't fix in my case it seams. Amp is an Onkyo NR807...getting on a bit I guess.
Odds are you don't actually have the latest firmware installed. So let's check that:

Go to Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information and confirm that the Main firmware version number ends 1226.

If not, you can get the firmware for install via USB stick from the Support page for the player, here (if you are in the US):

http://www.oppodigital.com/support/b...e-83-1226.aspx

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #24393 of 24551 Old 02-02-2017, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Saw that there was a new firmware, so I decided to resurrect the 103 in the vain hope that this release might have transformed it into a half decent device. I installed 1266, then did a factory reset.

Off to a flying start with the Blu Ray overlay stuck on top of the YouTube interface:

Had to restart to get rid of that. Then the audio stopped working altogether and I had to restart again to get it back.

- PNG image issue still present, with certain images displayed as black screen
- Still no keyboard support in youtube (also I noticed that ^ is not registered from keyboard when filling a password field, while %, *, & etc. are registered just fine).
- Youtube cast from mobile is still impossibly slow and clunky, and still hangs on black loading screen sometimes.
- Youtube videos still have judder.
- Control app has stopped working.

post #24394 of 24551 Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
^^^
Its been known for some time that the YouTube app is FUBAR and never to be fixed. Complaints go to YouTube.
post #24395 of 24551 Old 02-09-2017, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Wow... I still love my 103,,,, its always been flawless and I can watch You tube content without issue for the most part... This is the best blu ray player Ive owned and when I occasionally visit any store that sells blu rays, I usually do a quick scan of the offerings.... chuckle and pat myself on the back for purchasing my Oppo....
Steve544 likes this.

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

post #24396 of 24551 Old 02-13-2017, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sometimes, when I put on a bluray ray movie, nothing happens. The display reads 0:00:00 and the screen is black. My 103 doesn't respond to the remote control, except the power button. I can't even eject the disc. But if I restart the player, it plays the movie without any problem. It's random and not specific to any particular disc. I started having this problem only recently, couple weeks ago after I updated the firmware. Is anybody else experiencing this problem?
Thanks!
post #24397 of 24551 Old 02-13-2017, 08:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
Sometimes, when I put on a bluray ray movie, nothing happens. The display reads 0:00:00 and the screen is black. My 103 doesn't respond to the remote control, except the power button. I can't even eject the disc. But if I restart the player, it plays the movie without any problem. It's random and not specific to any particular disc. I started having this problem only recently, couple weeks ago after I updated the firmware. Is anybody else experiencing this problem?
Thanks!
Try this first: Erase Persistent Storage and Reset Factory Defaults. You can make that latter part go faster if you first save your settings to a USB stick to restore after the Reset (Setup > Device Setup > Settings Management).
--Bob
Jupiter7 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #24398 of 24551 Old 02-13-2017, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
Thanks!
Have the same problem but in reverse. I've had the 103 for several years. When it was new it would lock up and no button on the remote AND front panel would work. I always had to pull the AC cord to reset. I've only had the problem once this past year. Got the new firmware update and have not had a problem yet.
Jupiter7 likes this.
post #24399 of 24551 Old 02-13-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
. . . In the case of FLAC, what you'll get on the HDMI audio output is LPCM digital audio with the number of channels, sample rate, and bit depth matching what's recorded in the FLAC file. . . .
--Bob
Interesting. With my 93, I just discovered that it made a real difference to my older entry-level Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030 whether the 93 was set to Bitstream or HDMI when playing 96/24 5.1 FLAC files over DLNA: setting the 93's HDMI audio output to Bitstream caused brief interruptions in the sound every few minutes, while setting it to LPCM cured the problem.

My theory is that the AVR was having trouble keeping up with both decoding the FLAC files to LPCM and then decoding the LPCM to audio; sharing the workload between the two devices by having the 93 do the "FLAC to LPCM" extraction kept the AVR from falling behind. The poor dear isn't used to extracting much more than 48/24, the standard for blockbuster movies.

This was the final deciding factor for me in sticking with LPCM output, since I have no interest in (or capability for) ATMOS or DTS-X.

EDIT: In reading higher up in this thread, I ran across the common fix of using LPCM to avoid problems with seamless branching and I'm wondering if the same thing applies there: The problem isn't with the Oppo's Bitstream output but with some AVRs not being able to keep up with all the simultaneous tasks being handed to them, and dividing up the workload between the AVR and the Oppo - or simply the Oppo's superiority in processing capability - is the solution implicit in using LPCM.

My own used 103 is arriving within a week, so I can use it as a renderer to play multichannel music without turning on my projector. (The Media Control app for the 93 refuses to run on my Android 6 phone, and on my prior Android 4 phone it paled in comparison to BubbleUPnP.) The impending arrival of my own 103 is what inspired me to read through this thread. (I'm starting at the end and working backwards!)

Last edited by Philnick; 02-14-2017 at 11:42 AM.
post #24400 of 24551 Old 02-13-2017, 06:05 PM
All That Jazz

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-Houston View Post
Have the same problem but in reverse. I've had the 103 for several years. When it was new it would lock up and no button on the remote AND front panel would work. I always had to pull the AC cord to reset. I've only had the problem once this past year. Got the new firmware update and have not had a problem yet.
Occasionally the same thing would happen to me and I would have to go behind my A/V rack and pull the AC cord and reinsert it again. Then all would be ok again. It only happened occasionally though so it was no big deal.

A/V SYSTEM: Sony Z9D 75" LCD main, LG EF9500 OLED, Anthem 525 5.1 channel amp, Anthem AVM 60 processor, ProAc D80 L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surround Speakers, SVS SB12+ Sub, Oppo 203 and OPPO 103 BluRay players, TiVo Bolt, PS Audio P10 power plant, Auralex room treatments, black out curtains.
2 CHANNEL: Aurender N10 music server, Ayre QX-5 & PSAudio DS DACs, PS Audio DMP tranport, ARC Ref6 preamp, ARC Ref75SE or Ayre VX-5 20 amps, Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers.
post #24401 of 24551 Old 02-14-2017, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thanks for your suggestions. Let me do the factory reset and see if the freezing problem appears again.
post #24402 of 24551 Old 02-14-2017, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Video files from USB drive locks up the player

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post
have people had issues playing files from hard hard where the Oppo 103 just locks up and none of the buttons work; you have to power it off and on again
I have seen that a lot the last few days playing mp4 files that I have played many times when you press next is when it is most likely to lock up you see the picture of the video on the screen but none of the Oppo buttons work

I can play these files easily everywhere else so it has to be the oppo.

I assume there is also a reset or refresh option on the player; maybe that might help
I am running into this same problem now, with my new 103(with the latest firmware applied). The player locks up (reading at 75%) , doesnt respond to remote and have to be hard powered off. Have contacted Oppo support, but no resolution yet.

The USB drive is formatted ExFAT.
Following is an extract from MediaInfo, for a couple of video files, that wont play and locks up the player ( havent tried others yet)

1)
MPEG-4 (Base Media / Version 2): 1.72 GiB, 2h 29mn
1 Video stream: AVC
1 Audio stream: AAC
1 Text stream: mp4s

2)
MPEG-4 (Base Media / Version 2): 24.2 GiB, 2h 23mn
1 Video stream: AVC
1 Audio stream: DTS
3 Text streams: mp4s / mp4s / mp4s
1 Menu stream: Timed Text

Mpeg4 AVC /H.264 is very popular format, so am surprised . I do see that its listed under supported formats in the Oppo FAQ at http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.ph...s_supported.3F

The same USB drive/files play fine on my computer.

Maybe I am missing something ?
post #24403 of 24551 Old 02-15-2017, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had sporadic lock up issues (only resolved by cutting AC) spanning multiple firmware versions over the years.
post #24404 of 24551 Old 02-16-2017, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
I'm going to purchase an LG OLED 65" E6 in a couple of weeks.
Quick question for people using their Oppo-103 to play 3D:

If in the "settings" I set 3D to "Auto", do I need to push the "3D" button on the remote every time I play a 3D movie (.mkv) from my hard drive connected to Oppo?

Thanks
post #24405 of 24551 Old 02-16-2017, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

If in the "settings" I set 3D to "Auto", do I need to push the "3D" button on the remote every time I play a 3D movie (.mkv) from my hard drive connected to Oppo?

Thanks
You don't have to ever touch the 3D button on the remote unless you want to activate the 2D to 3D conversion feature.

4K UHD 3D should be the first format to deliver native-8K resolution on passive 8K 3D TVs!
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
post #24406 of 24551 Old 02-17-2017, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Last I knew the 103 couldn't play 3D mkv files from an attached hard drive. I know it didn't a couple of years ago at least.

Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 Processor / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 amp
Speakers: Triad Silver LCR (5), Triad Bronze LCR (2 rear), SVS PB13 Ultra sub
Video: Epson 5025 projector / Darbee Darblet / 98" 16:9 Seymour AV XD screen
Sources: Oppo 103 / PS Vue / Apple TV / Audio Technica LP-120 TT
post #24407 of 24551 Old 02-17-2017, 04:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2804 Post(s)
Liked: 2041
Quote:

Thanks
What format is the 3D in the MKV files? The player does not support the native MVC encoding and will play only the 2D portion.

For side-by-side and top-to-bottom encoding, use the player 3D control to specify which you have. (I think that's right; I'm using the 203 right now where 3D is moved to the Options popup menu. I can check it if you need to know).

The E6 also does side-by-side and top-to-bottom decoding, which I found very confusing at first exposure. You want it done in one place, not two. I've found it easiest just to never touch the 3D control on the E6 remote.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #24408 of 24551 Old 02-17-2017, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
What format is the 3D in the MKV files? The player does not support the native MVC encoding and will play only the 2D portion.

For side-by-side and top-to-bottom encoding, use the player 3D control to specify which you have. (I think that's right; I'm using the 203 right now where 3D is moved to the Options popup menu. I can check it if you need to know).

The E6 also does side-by-side and top-to-bottom decoding, which I found very confusing at first exposure. You want it done in one place, not two. I've found it easiest just to never touch the 3D control on the E6 remote.

-Bill
Hi Bill,
The 3D file format would be .mkv, but if Oppo does not play 3D using .mkv, what ripper should I use for 3D?
There is a "3D" button on the Oppo remote also.
Is it correct that with 3D MKV files I don't need to touch the 3D buttons either on Oppo remote or on LG E6 remote as long as the Oppo is set to "Auto" for 3D?
post #24409 of 24551 Old 02-17-2017, 07:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2804 Post(s)
Liked: 2041
Quote:
Hi Bill,
The 3D file format would be .mkv, but if Oppo does not play 3D using .mkv, what ripper should I use for 3D?
There is a "3D" button on the Oppo remote also.
Is it correct that with 3D MKV files I don't need to touch the 3D buttons either on Oppo remote or on LG E6 remote as long as the Oppo is set to "Auto" for 3D?
MKV is the container. The video encoding inside the container is a different matter. The native Blu-ray 3D video format is MVC. I do not know of any disc player that supports that. The OPPO does not.

There are alternative formats like side-by-side and top-bottom, but there is no Auto configuration for those. You have to manually switch either the player or the display to the correct setting.

As to making those formats: I've never done it. Try asking in this thread: Ripping Blu-Rays II

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #24410 of 24551 Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Interesting. With my 93, I just discovered that it made a real difference to my older entry-level Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030 whether the 93 was set to Bitstream or HDMI when playing 96/24 5.1 FLAC files over DLNA: setting the 93's HDMI audio output to Bitstream caused brief interruptions in the sound every few minutes, while setting it to LPCM cured the problem.

My theory is that the AVR was having trouble keeping up with both decoding the FLAC files to LPCM and then decoding the LPCM to audio; sharing the workload between the two devices by having the 93 do the "FLAC to LPCM" extraction kept the AVR from falling behind. The poor dear isn't used to extracting much more than 48/24, the standard for blockbuster movies.

This was the final deciding factor for me in sticking with LPCM output, since I have no interest in (or capability for) ATMOS or DTS-X.

EDIT: In reading higher up in this thread, I ran across the common fix of using LPCM to avoid problems with seamless branching and I'm wondering if the same thing applies there: The problem isn't with the Oppo's Bitstream output but with some AVRs not being able to keep up with all the simultaneous tasks being handed to them, and dividing up the workload between the AVR and the Oppo - or simply the Oppo's superiority in processing capability - is the solution implicit in using LPCM.

My own used 103 is arriving within a week, so I can use it as a renderer to play multichannel music without turning on my projector. (The Media Control app for the 93 refuses to run on my Android 6 phone, and on my prior Android 4 phone it paled in comparison to BubbleUPnP.) The impending arrival of my own 103 is what inspired me to read through this thread. (I'm starting at the end and working backwards!)
Got my second-hand 103 Wednesday and swapped it into my theater in place of my 93. The only cabling change I had to make was putting the 103's grounded AC cord in place of the 93's polarized 2 prong cord.

Let it update its firmware to current over the net (it took two passes - is this normal?), erased persistent storage and the old owner's Netflix and Vudu accounts, reset it to Factory, powered it off and back on, and entered my own tweaks - primarily setting it to fixed 1080p24 and 4:4:4, and LPCM rather than Bitstream at fixed volume. Entered my own Vudu account info and backed up my setup to a flash drive.

Everything works perfectly: Blu-ray, DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, CD, DLNA rendering (at last!), and Vudu (which had stopped working on the 93, a common complaint in that thread).

Halleluja!

post #24411 of 24551 Old 02-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes, depending on how old the firmware is, you may need to do more than one update pass to get all the pieces updated.
--Bob

post #24412 of 24551 Old 02-17-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Am I out in left field with my theory about why LPCM is more reliable than Bitstream? Even taking "seamless branching" and video out of the mix and just playing vanilla multichannel 96/24 FLAC files, dropouts with Bitstream were cured by switching to LPCM - which says to me that taking part of the work - extracting the compressed audio to LPCM - off the AVR was what made the difference.

Maybe a higher-end AVR with more processing horsepower could keep up, but with my older entry-level Aventage, making its job easier seemed to be what was making the difference.

Am I alone in this theory? It would seem to me to be simple prudence to use LPCM unless you need Bitstream for Atmos or DTS-X. Is it that important that the AVR's display say "Dolby TrueHD" or "DTS HD Master Audio"? You can always query the Oppo to see what it is!

Last edited by Philnick; 02-17-2017 at 05:42 PM.
post #24413 of 24551 Old 02-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Some older AVRs even had to disable certain parts of their value-added audio processing if fed DTS-HD MA or TrueHD Bitstreams. So yes, there can be advantages to using LPCM.

On the other hand, there are known examples of AVRs that screw up LPCM input in ways that they do NOT get wrong when fed Bitstream. Sometimes there's nothing for it but to try both ways and see if you can find a reason to prefer one.
--Bob

post #24414 of 24551 Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
MKV is the container. The video encoding inside the container is a different matter. The native Blu-ray 3D video format is MVC. I do not know of any disc player that supports that. The OPPO does not.

There are alternative formats like side-by-side and top-bottom, but there is no Auto configuration for those. You have to manually switch either the player or the display to the correct setting.

As to making those formats: I've never done it. Try asking in this thread: Ripping Blu-Rays II

-Bill
Hi Bill,
After reading a bunch of stuff about 3D ripping, I realized that it is easier for me to just play the 3D disk than going through so much trouble to rip it.
But again, thanks for your help.
post #24415 of 24551 Old 02-18-2017, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Hi Bill,
After reading a bunch of stuff about 3D ripping, I realized that it is easier for me to just play the 3D disk than going through so much trouble to rip it.
But again, thanks for your help.
To play ripped 3D mkv's I believe they can be played through a mede8er, so it can be done if you want to deal with another device.

Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 Processor / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 amp
Speakers: Triad Silver LCR (5), Triad Bronze LCR (2 rear), SVS PB13 Ultra sub
Video: Epson 5025 projector / Darbee Darblet / 98" 16:9 Seymour AV XD screen
Sources: Oppo 103 / PS Vue / Apple TV / Audio Technica LP-120 TT
post #24416 of 24551 Old 02-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
To play ripped 3D mkv's I believe they can be played through a mede8er, so it can be done if you want to deal with another device.
I don't have many 3D movies to add a device for it. I just play the physical disk for that.
But thanks for the suggestion.
post #24417 of 24551 Old 02-18-2017, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Am I out in left field with my theory about why LPCM is more reliable than Bitstream? Even taking "seamless branching" and video out of the mix and just playing vanilla multichannel 96/24 FLAC files, dropouts with Bitstream were cured by switching to LPCM - which says to me that taking part of the work - extracting the compressed audio to LPCM - off the AVR was what made the difference.

Maybe a higher-end AVR with more processing horsepower could keep up, but with my older entry-level Aventage, making its job easier seemed to be what was making the difference.

Am I alone in this theory? It would seem to me to be simple prudence to use LPCM unless you need Bitstream for Atmos or DTS-X. Is it that important that the AVR's display say "Dolby TrueHD" or "DTS HD Master Audio"? You can always query the Oppo to see what it is!
I was having worse problems, the player wouldn't play flac files from cd and hi res. I switched to LPCM. NO HELP.

I then used the usb extender and put the dongle on the top of the equipment rack. Even my 192khz files play flawlessly now!
post #24418 of 24551 Old 02-18-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post
I was having worse problems, the player wouldn't play flac files from cd and hi res. I switched to LPCM. NO HELP.

I then used the usb extender and put the dongle on the top of the equipment rack. Even my 192khz files play flawlessly now!
I locate my cablemodem right next to my equipment rack to have enough speed for 1080p from Amazon, so I use a wired connection for everything. To feed internet to my pc upstairs, I use a pair of second-hand Verizon Fios boxes as a MoCA relay from the basement theater to my 2nd floor apartment, which uses a high frequency radio carrier on the existing cable tv wiring as an Ethernet link. This gives my pc upstairs a connection capable of 60-70 Mbps. In the theater it's twice that.

MoCA is similar in concept to powerline networking but the cable TV wiring is a much quieter environment than the ac wiring, as it's free of the spikes that electric motors and other equipment (in refrigerators, air conditioners, coffee grinders, microwaves, etc.) put back into the ac line.

My music files are on a USB 3.0 drive attached to a pc in the theater. I use BubbleUPnP Server to extend my DLNA file server not only on my LAN but to make it accessible over the net. For the DLNA file server I use Twonky, since it shows album art even when browsing my folders. For remote access, and as a local control point for the Oppo when my phone is on wifi, I use Android BubbleUPnP linked to BubbleUPnP Server. On my laptop I have Foobar2000 plus FooUPnp, written by the author of BubbleUPnP, which has all the capabilities of Android BubbleUPnP. Both of them can even do word searches through the file tags to find half-remembered music.

Last edited by Philnick; 02-18-2017 at 11:06 AM.
post #24419 of 24551 Old 02-18-2017, 12:23 PM

I have been using my 103 with some success to pull audio files off my lap top and play them over the wi Fi network in my house.

I had done the same with my 93.

I understand that the 103 supports the ability to push files at the 103 from say my laptop?

Does anyone have experience in how to do this?
post #24420 of 24551 Old 02-18-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I locate my cablemodem right next to my equipment rack to have enough speed for 1080p from Amazon, so I use a wired connection for everything. To feed internet to my pc upstairs, I use a pair of second-hand Verizon Fios boxes as a MoCA relay from the basement theater to my 2nd floor apartment, which uses a high frequency radio carrier on the existing cable tv wiring as an Ethernet link. This gives my pc upstairs a connection capable of 60-70 Mbps. In the theater it's twice that.

MoCA is similar in concept to powerline networking but the cable TV wiring is a much quieter environment than the ac wiring, as it's free of the spikes that electric motors and other equipment (in refrigerators, air conditioners, coffee grinders, microwaves, etc.) put back into the ac line.

My music files are on a USB 3.0 drive attached to a pc in the theater. I use BubbleUPnP Server to extend my DLNA file server not only on my LAN but to make it accessible over the net. For the DLNA file server I use Twonky, since it shows album art even when browsing my folders. For remote access, and as a local control point for the Oppo when my phone is on wifi, I use Android BubbleUPnP linked to BubbleUPnP Server. On my laptop I have Foobar2000 plus FooUPnp, written by the author of BubbleUPnP, which has all the capabilities of Android BubbleUPnP. Both of them can even do word searches through the file tags to find half-remembered music.
Wow! You are running at a technical level well beyond me. I can't offer and further advice and I'll stay within my limited knowledge bandwidth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc