Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 815 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 862Likes
post #24421 of 24429 Old 02-18-2017, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post
I have been using my 103 with some success to pull audio files off my lap top and play them over the wi Fi network in my house.

I had done the same with my 93.

I understand that the 103 supports the ability to push files at the 103 from say my laptop?

Does anyone have experience in how to do this?
If you install Twonky ($20 for the license) on your laptop as a DLNA server, it has the ability to push files to a renderer like the 103.

However, I prefer to use my Android phone as the controller, with Twonky as the file server and BubbleUPnP Server - which is free - acting as an intermediary making the Twonky library available remotely from your phone over the net with Android BubbleUPnP ($5 at the Google Play Store) and when your phone is on your wifi network, that same Android app can push music and movies from your laptop to the 103 and any other renderers you have.

I set BubbleUPnP to send all files at full resolution locally but as 128k mp3s over the net to my phone when listening remotely, to avoid running up my phone bill.

You can use the FooUPnP plugin for Foobar2000 as both a file server syndicated by BubbleUPnP Server and as a client/renderer/controller like the android app - so I run that as a client on my upstairs PC, with its sound card plugged into my hifi, letting me play music in bed using my phone as the controller, and on my laptop to listen to music from home when traveling. In the car, I run a cord from the phone's earphone jack into my car stereo's line input!

The advantage of Twonky over FooUPnP as the file server is that Twonky shows you embedded album art while browsing as well as while playing, while FooUPnP only shows it while playing. Also, Twonky can be set to auto update its index when you add new stuff, while FooUPnP has to be manually updated, including closing and reopening Foobar2000.

Both the Android BubbleUPnP and FooUPnP (which are written by the same programmer) let you do word searches through your library to find things.

Last edited by Philnick; 02-18-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24422 of 24429 Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks!
post #24423 of 24429 Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Question Album Art Playing (SACD) dsf files?

I've ripped a number of SACDs to dsf using my 103. I've then taken the dsf files and updated tags and added album art. When I playback the dsf files from my PC to my 103 over my LAN, the tags are correct but no album art is displayed. Album art displays fine for MP3s and FLAC files (over the LAN).

Has anyone been able to display album art when playing dsf files through their 103?

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.

post #24424 of 24429 Old Today, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Album art doesn't display for .dsf files on the Oppo.

post #24425 of 24429 Old Today, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Album art doesn't display for .dsf files on the Oppo.
Thanks for confirming that. Kind of a shame that it doesn't. Also, it would be nice if SACD album art was available through Gracenote. I'll keep adding album art to my dsf files in the hope that some day that Oppo supports it.

My signature:

post #24426 of 24429 Old Today, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Thanks for confirming that. Kind of a shame that it doesn't. Also, it would be nice if SACD album art was available through Gracenote. I'll keep adding album art to my dsf files in the hope that some day that Oppo supports it.
The path of least resistance is to just convert the files to 24/88 FLAC. You won't hear any difference, and its likely that your processor does the same thing anyway. (it has to in order to apply any processing)
post #24427 of 24429 Old Today, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The path of least resistance is to just convert the files to 24/88 FLAC. You won't hear any difference, and its likely that your processor does the same thing anyway. (it has to in order to apply any processing)
I do that with all my multichannel SACD rips. They are all getting fed through my Pioneer SC-87 processing anyway and all that processing is PCM - and in the end flac files are just a ton more convenient.
It takes some extra time (DSD2Flac on Mac or DBPowerAmp Music Converter both do a good job), but it sounds great.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #24428 of 24429 Old Today, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I took your advice and converted a stereo dsf file to 24/88 flac using foobar2000. Seems ok.

I recall reading somewhere that there may be some issue converting a multichannel dsf file to flac with respect to the .1 LFE channel. Something to do with the LFE channel requiring +10dB compensation adjustment. Please advise.

My signature:

post #24429 of 24429 Unread Today, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I took your advice and converted a stereo dsf file to 24/88 flac using foobar2000. Seems ok.

I recall reading somewhere that there may be some issue converting a multichannel dsf file to flac with respect to the .1 LFE channel. Something to do with the LFE channel requiring +10dB compensation adjustment. Please advise.
That's up to your processor. Most will do the 10db boost to any LFE channel input. Shouldn't be too difficult to hear one way or the other. But that boost happens in the processor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc