Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 816 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 865Likes
post #24451 of 24463 Old Today, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
You may be right, here is my SC-61 display while that disc plays. I'm actually running 7.2. As you can see, it's showing 6.1 on the display like you mentioned. If I leave the auto surround modes that give me pure direct, stream direct etc and go to standard surround, PLII leaves and I get Dolby True HD 5.1. Trying to remember, but I believe I'm running in Stream Direct so my subs will cut in during stereo playback. Though as I mentioned, this isn't an issue with other BDs.

The "XC" indicator is showing that your SC-61 is detecting the 6.1 channel flag. The small "True HD" indicator is showing that the SC-61 is getting a True HD stream from the Oppo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24452 of 24463 Old Today, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
The "XC" indicator is showing that your SC-61 is detecting the 6.1 channel flag. The small "True HD" indicator is showing that the SC-61 is getting a True HD stream from the Oppo.
Yep, I see that I'm getting TrueHD from the OPPO. Wonder why they author this with another channel? And I wonder if anyone else is having this issue?
post #24453 of 24463 Old Today, 05:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
^ Umm, what issue? Looks like it is working exactly as it was designed to work with your AVR's settings?
--Bob
KC-Technerd likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

post #24454 of 24463 Old Today, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep, I see that I'm getting TrueHD from the OPPO. Wonder why they author this with another channel? And I wonder if anyone else is having this issue?
I just realized that you have a different disc than I do, with a TrueHD track instead of the DTS HD-MA track that mine has. Blu-ray.com doesn't yet show any audio details on the new disc. Looks like it's got some material mine doesn't. It may intentionally be encoded with a matrixed surround back channel. Occasionally a disc is incorrectly flagged. I can't find any sources that specify the audio track on the new disc.
post #24455 of 24463 Old Today, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Umm, what issue? Looks like it is working exactly as it was designed to work with your AVR's settings?
--Bob
I guess what I'm saying Bob, is that I can leave the AVR settings as is, and I don't get the PL effect on other discs. As KC mentioned, my settings together with the disc flagging 6.1 the issue occurs. I guess I meant this would show itself to anybody else as well if they were set up like I am, where normally there is no PL on other discs. Should have chosen my words better.
post #24456 of 24463 Old Today, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ I agree that it is not an "issue" but the SC-61 doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It is detecting the 6.1 channel flag in the audio stream and engaging Dolby Pro-Logic IIx to decode the matrixed audio channel for your surround back speakers.
post #24457 of 24463 Old Today, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just realized that you have a different disc than I do, with a TrueHD track instead of the DTS HD-MA track that mine has. Blu-ray.com doesn't yet show any audio details on the new disc. Looks like it's got some material mine doesn't. It may intentionally be encoded with a matrixed surround back channel. Occasionally a disc is incorrectly flagged. I can't find any sources that specify the audio track on the new disc.
Ahh, you have Black & White night on blu ray from several years ago? I have that as well and it is DTS-HD Master 5.1 like you mentioned, and it runs fine. This new iteration is stamped Dolby TrueHD on the disc label, but no where else on the packaging that I can find. I notice as well that it's not up yet on blu-ray.com.
post #24458 of 24463 Old Today, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ I don't think it is very common to have a matrix encoded back "EX" channel on Blu-ray discs. Most have discrete 6th and 7th channels for the surround backs rather than a matrixed channel. It was more common on DVDs.

Yes, I have the old Blu-ray disc of Black and White Night. I'm going to be tempted to get the new one now.
post #24459 of 24463 Old Today, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ I agree that it is not an "issue" but the SC-61 doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It is detecting the 6.1 channel flag in the audio stream and engaging Dolby Pro-Logic IIx to decode the matrixed audio channel for your surround back speakers.
I agree, it's just my settings on the AVR and the extra channel on the disc settings things off for me. This obviously has nothing to do with the 103, so I'll show myself out. Thanks all for your help with the diagnosis, it's very much appreciated
post #24460 of 24463 Old Today, 06:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying Bob, is that I can leave the AVR settings as is, and I don't get the PL effect on other discs. As KC mentioned, my settings together with the disc flagging 6.1 the issue occurs. I guess I meant this would show itself to anybody else as well if they were set up like I am, where normally there is no PL on other discs. Should have chosen my words better.
Your AVR is detecting a TrueHD 6.1 EX encoding and processing it to fire up your Rear speakers properly. That's a 5.1 track with a matrixed rear channel.

From the Comments for this disc on blu-ray.com:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=65688&page=2

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #24461 of 24463 Old Today, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Your AVR is detecting a TrueHD 6.1 EX encoding and processing it to fire up your Rear speakers properly. That's a 5.1 track with a matrixed rear channel.

From the Comments for this disc on blu-ray.com:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=65688&page=2

--Bob
Ahh, and there it is! Thanks Bob, your quite a sleuth...bet you're underpaid.

P.S.- And so... if I was running 5.1 and not 7.1, it wouldn't be matrixing as it would not detect any "rear' speakers?
post #24462 of 24463 Old Today, 06:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Probably correct.
--Bob

post #24463 of 24463 Unread Today, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
So RD, your receiver/processor is showing Dolby TrueHD when you select the 5.1 option either from the menu or on the fly with the OPPO remote? Just trying to rule out that it's the disc.
Yes, no problem.
But AGAIN: the Oppo's OSD tells you with complete reliability what audio is being output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc